Discuss Scratch

ajsya
Scratcher
1000+ posts

[Distro Links in OP] Linux, Software and Support

What are the best laptops for Linux?

yay page 25

Last edited by ajsya (Dec. 28, 2021 15:27:22)

Feel free to message me on my profile if you need to tell me something/want someone to talk to.

Hi, I'm ajsya!

| GitHub | Wiki | My Posts |

Before creating a new topic on the forums search Ocular to see if one already exists!ˇ
ajsya
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dhuls wrote:

Which distro should I use on a Raspberry Pi?
I think on one of my Raspberry Pis I used ubuntu server or something. I think it's supposed to be faster. But Raspbian is kinda easier to use I think.

Feel free to message me on my profile if you need to tell me something/want someone to talk to.

Hi, I'm ajsya!

Before creating a new topic on the forums search Ocular to see if one already exists!ˇ
MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ajsya wrote:

dhuls wrote:

Which distro should I use on a Raspberry Pi?
I think on one of my Raspberry Pis I used ubuntu server or something. I think it's supposed to be faster. But Raspbian is kinda easier to use I think.
Raspbian is specificially made for the Pi, having full compatibility and drivers.

kccuber
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ajsya wrote:

yay page 25
i dont have any idea, theres 20 year old laptops that run it fine to macbooks that once hated MacOS but like Ubuntu for some reason, so this is a really open ended question. Try something with a maybe 6th or 7th gen Intel CPU (2 core is fine, i have 2 laptops which run linux fine on 2 cores)

Made using Nord Theme & Inkscape
MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

You don't need to buy a laptop with Linux preinstalled. Get a good ol' Windows computer and just install Linux. Come on man, Linux isn't for money making.

ajsya
Scratcher
1000+ posts

kccuber wrote:

i dont have any idea, theres 20 year old laptops that run it fine to macbooks that once hated MacOS but like Ubuntu for some reason, so this is a really open ended question. Try something with a maybe 6th or 7th gen Intel CPU (2 core is fine, i have 2 laptops which run linux fine on 2 cores)

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

You don't need to buy a laptop with Linux preinstalled. Get a good ol' Windows computer and just install Linux. Come on man, Linux isn't for money making.
I don't have a random computer lying around that I can use so I'd have to buy something from my local store… but I don't really like spending money. But I get a new Chromebook next year, so then I might be able to convert my old one.

Hi, I'm ajsya!

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ajsya wrote:

kccuber wrote:

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

I don't have a random computer lying around that I can use so I'd have to buy something from my local store… but I don't really like spending money. But I get a new Chromebook next year, so then I might be able to convert my old one.
WHY did you ask for a Chromebook, that's WORSE than what you have.

ajsya
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

ajsya wrote:

kccuber wrote:

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

I didn't ask for a Chromebook. My school gives them to us. (Well I think we buy them cheap through the school). And they're getting upgraded next year so I'll get a new one and then I can do whatever I want with my old one.

I think this is what I got: https://www.lenovo.com/ao/en/laptops/thinkpad/11e-series/c/11e-series

Hi, I'm ajsya!

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ajsya wrote:

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

ajsya wrote:

kccuber wrote:

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

I didn't ask for a Chromebook. My school gives them to us. (Well I think we buy them cheap through the school). And they're getting upgraded next year so I'll get a new one and then I can do whatever I want with my old one.

I think this is what I got: https://www.lenovo.com/ao/en/laptops/thinkpad/11e-series/c/11e-series
make sure to get ChromeOS off it immediately.

ajsya
Scratcher
1000+ posts

so much ninja

Last edited by ajsya (Dec. 28, 2021 19:56:37)

Hi, I'm ajsya!

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ajsya wrote:

ajsya wrote:

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

ajsya wrote:

kccuber wrote:

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

They come pre-installed with a restricted version of ChromeOS that the school has complete control over.
oh, oh that's worse. and your paying for it are you not?

ajsya
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

ajsya wrote:

ajsya wrote:

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

ajsya wrote:

kccuber wrote:

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

They come pre-installed with a restricted version of ChromeOS that the school has complete control over.
oh, oh that's worse. and your paying for it are you not?
Yeah, I think my parents bought it for cheap from the school under probably a contract or something. idk how it works. Probably standard, but I think it's fully ours after how many years.

Hi, I'm ajsya!

jellyfishfisher56
Scratcher
500+ posts

I use Linux and I love it

jellyfishfisher56 | on Scratch for 3½ years | currently semi-active | 750+ posts | long-time forumer | Give me an Internet

ninjaMAR
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ajsya wrote:

yay page 25
i have a system76 gazelle and it works very well
they are pricey tho
https://system76.com/laptops

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

kccuber
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

what dock program is that?

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

kccuber wrote:

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

what dock program is that?
it's GNOME's built in dock with the dash to dock extension.

-ElectronicArts-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

i ended up installing linux on vm

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-ElectronicArts- wrote:

Step 5. Replace Windows

kccuber
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MagicCrayon9342 wrote:

-ElectronicArts- wrote:

Step 5. Replace Windows
i cant believe im going to have to bring this up again, but paint.net, one of my favorite photo editing softwares (I prefer Inkscape, which thankfully is cross platform, for designing stuff that's not pixel art) is only on Windows, and doesn't work very nicely with Wine (Only v3.5.11, which is SERIOUSLY outdated, works, and still crashes when you try typing text)

Soooo I can't exactly switch to Linux without it. Unless… I make an image editor using HTML Canvas and Electron. Open source too, and since it's electron it runs on every OS.