Discuss Scratch

DemCupcakesYo
Scratcher
100+ posts

Auto-lock Topics Based on Last Post

After seeing a necropost, I thought there should be a way to prevent it. I think that if the last post on a topic was anywhere from 1 month to 1 year ago, the post will automatically lock itself. If a topic was auto-locked and the original poster wanted to revive it, there could be a button on the top next to the “follow discussion” button that says “Unlock Topic”. This would reduce necroposting by a lot if it was added.

EDIT: Only the topic owner can unlock.

Last edited by DemCupcakesYo (Oct. 3, 2014 23:49:32)

-DemCupcakesYo

If you support, it should be +1. If you don't, it should be +0, not -1. If you half-support, it should be +1/2 or +0.5, not +0. You can't subtract from the supporters.

My browser / operating system: Windows 7, Chrome 36.0.1985.125, Flash 14.0 (release 0)

gcenac
Scratcher
100+ posts

1/2 Support…
Most people would just hit the Unlock Topic button all the time…
And maybe make it 3 months?

DemCupcakesYo
Scratcher
100+ posts

gcenac wrote:

1/2 Support…

3 months seems like a good amount, and I do see your point. Although, it's similiar to how people just fill up a topic with “Bump”.

-DemCupcakesYo

If you support, it should be +1. If you don't, it should be +0, not -1. If you half-support, it should be +1/2 or +0.5, not +0. You can't subtract from the supporters.

My browser / operating system: Windows 7, Chrome 36.0.1985.125, Flash 14.0 (release 0)

gcenac
Scratcher
100+ posts

DemCupcakesYo wrote:

gcenac wrote:

1/2 Support…

3 months seems like a good amount, and I do see your point. Although, it's similiar to how people just fill up a topic with “Bump”.
Yeah… It would be cool if there was a minimum of characters you have to post, but that would be bad for the “Support” thing and people would just spam…

theonlygusti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I think only the topic owner should be able to unlock it, but I don't think that this feature should be added anyway.

No Support.

DemCupcakesYo
Scratcher
100+ posts

theonlygusti wrote:

I think only the topic owner should be able to unlock it, but I don't think that this feature should be added anyway.

No Support.

DemCupcakesYo wrote:

If a topic was auto-locked and the original poster wanted to revive it, there could be a button on the top next to the “follow discussion” button that says “Unlock Topic”.

The original poster and the topic owner are the same thing.

Last edited by DemCupcakesYo (Oct. 3, 2014 21:01:33)

-DemCupcakesYo

derpmeup
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Semi-support, why would we need a whole new feature to prevent something that's not even that bad in the first place?

hey bro that's a pretty good meme xD!
TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support. Only the topic owner or the ST can unlock. And if the topic was unlocked too many times, then only the ST can unlock and the topic owner cannot.

ScratchBlockLibrary
New to Scratch
10 posts

This is half-support half-bump.

SCRATCH::sound
BLOCKS::operators
ARE::looks
GREAT::motion
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!::control
Scratchblock Library 2!
Wes64
Scratcher
500+ posts

it's not like necroposting is so frequent that we need to automate prevention or overcomplicate things. I think the Scratch team can handle it just fine.

furthermore, it would be hard to define what necroposting is because sometimes really relevant discussions get brought up many times over the course of the year and I wouldn't want to have some automated process accidentally silence that discussion. necroposts are annoying but it's not an affront to anybody so try not get all worked up about them

Using Firefox 46.0.1, Flash plugin version 21.0.0.242, and Windows 7 Professional.
A computer does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. - Murphy's Law
stickfiregames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Not all necroposts are bad, so no support.

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!

or you just used Inspect Element, you hacker

;
OmnipotentPotato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

stickfiregames wrote:

Hamish752
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support + Almost a year long bump.

Nether_before
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support.

~~If life gives you kumquats, lock your signature up, bury it in the ground and hope it's safe~~
hello child. i am an elf
DaSpudLord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

OmnipotentPotato wrote:

stickfiregames wrote:

^^
There's another topic somewhere about providing a warning message when there is a possible necropost (I don't feel like finding it, though), and that I support.

U^ェ^U::motion//This is Blocky. He lives in my signature. He is a trained attack block. He protects my siggy from kumquats.
purplebook163
Scratcher
500+ posts

DaSpudLord wrote:

OmnipotentPotato wrote:

stickfiregames wrote:

^^
There's another topic somewhere about providing a warning message when there is a possible necropost (I don't feel like finding it, though), and that I support.

You can ask me anything, even if it's not Scratch related, on my profile. Use this cloud to write out cloud variables in the forums. ☁

Desktop: My browser/operating system: Windows 7, Firefox 38.0 and/or Chrome 43.0.2357.130, Flash 18.0 (release 0);
Dad's Laptop: My browser/operating system: Windows 7, Firefox 38.0 and/or Chrome, Flash 18.0 (release 0);
Tablet: My browser/operating system: Android Linux 4.4.2, Chrome 43.0.2357.93, No Flash version;
My Lapotop: , Flash 24.0 (release 0)

See a flappy bird game I made. Let me know if you beat my high score of 2!
IronBit_Studios
Scratcher
1000+ posts

TheHockeyist wrote:

Support. Only the topic owner or the ST can unlock. And if the topic was unlocked too many times, then only the ST can unlock and the topic owner cannot.

BurnedCrystal
Scratcher
100+ posts

(from duplicate thread)

No support, keeping old discussions open is usually better than creating duplicate threads every few months. Even if that's what happens anyways :^

EDIT: I initially typed in completing instead of creating? Anyways, it's been fixed now

Last edited by BurnedCrystal (Oct. 3, 2016 01:58:20)

A block idea or whatever.
go [in front of v] sprite [sprite1 v] :: looks

Wow, this is a really empty sig. needs some defining features… ah!
Have a RAINBOW :)
The4thPixel
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I believe this entire thread needs a cleanup crew. Speed-dialing one right now.

BurnedCrystal wrote:

No support, keeping old discussions open is usually better than completing duplicate threads every few months. Even if that's what happens anyways :^
Hi!

Please don't bump old topics. Thanks!

IronBit_Studios wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

OmnipotentPotato wrote:

stickfiregames wrote:

purplebook163 wrote:

DaSpudLord wrote:

OmnipotentPotato wrote:

stickfiregames wrote:

^^
Please don't quote other users without adding your own opinions to the discussion. Thanks!
BurnedCrystal
Scratcher
100+ posts

Got led here from a duplicate thread, sorry

That aside, ‘Please don’t quote other users without adding your own opinions to the discussion.' is a kind of silly thing to say (in general, really) considering the person did actually add to the discussion in some way

Last edited by BurnedCrystal (Oct. 3, 2016 02:06:17)

A block idea or whatever.
go [in front of v] sprite [sprite1 v] :: looks

Wow, this is a really empty sig. needs some defining features… ah!
Have a RAINBOW :)