Discuss Scratch

peppermintpatty5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

People Making OS

So I've seen quite a few projects that are supposed to be like mock operating systems. I see that some people have worked quite hard on them but I want to say my opinion about what people are doing.
You can't make an operating system with a program (Scratch) that runs on an already functioning operating system. The projects are really quite pointless in my opinion and I think that it would make more sense for people to dedicate their time to something else. I hope I haven't offended anyone but I couldn't resist writing this.

#BringBackDiscuss
TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

People Making OS

I am offended by this. People can and do make functioning operating systems on Scratch with working programs. I happen to be working on one. The Scratch Team shouldn't ban the OS projects, for it's possible to make them. Almost anything is possible in Scratch. And the ST shouldn't restrict projects unless it is absolutely necessary to do so under the Community Guidelines and Terms of Use. Nowhere does it say “Thou shan't make an OS”. So I support and encourage OS projects.

Harakou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

People Making OS

OS projects aren't meant to be true operating systems - they just imitate them, and there's nothing wrong with that. There are lots of ways that people can express themselves and practice their skills, and these sorts of projects are one way of doing that. Just consider how many scripting and design challenges there must be when making one! Please, don't put other people down for what they decide to make. Every project is valuable if you enjoyed it and learned from the process.

Finally, the Questions about Scratch forum is “as it says on the tin,” so to speak - for asking questions about Scratch. Please don't force-fit topics to the forums.