Discuss Scratch

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The scratchr2 topic

Naleksuh wrote:

For the record, scratchr2's UI looks nothing like Scratch 2.0's UI. But yes, scratchr2's UI is much better. I can't look at www for more than a few seconds without burning up
scratchr2's UI is DISGUSTINGLY old fashioned. #ModernUI Hasn't been updated since 2008 no wonder.

Last edited by MagicCrayon9342 (Jan. 8, 2022 01:25:32)

Tired of the mainstream browsers being so darn slow, taking so much RAM on your super old laptop. Well, Catalyst is the solution. It is a zero compromise browser that will run on anything! Available for Windows, MacOS, and Linux! It is super fast and customizable with a fresh and modern UI!!!.

Always use the latest version of an antivirus. To get the latest security and protection, it is also recommended to use the latest version of MacOS or one that get's security patches. Update your software or you will regret it, and you will have several risks waiting for you.

Naleksuh
Scratcher
100+ posts

The scratchr2 topic

I have no idea what “#ModernUI” is, but scratchr2 did not exist in 2008.

Also, scratchr2's UI is both modern and unique. scratch-www's UI is just taking that, adding unnecessary space and fluff, then copying material design

That said, I will admit which UI is “better” is subjective. For everything that has one objectively better option, scratchr2 is that one. Never scratch-www.

Last edited by Naleksuh (Jan. 8, 2022 01:29:41)

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The scratchr2 topic

Naleksuh wrote:

I have no idea what “#ModernUI” is, but scratchr2 did not exist in 2008.

Also, scratchr2's UI is both modern and unique. scratch-www's UI is just taking that, adding unnecessary space and fluff, then copying material design

That said, I will admit which UI is “better” is subjective. For everything that has one objectively better option, scratchr2 is that one. Never scratch-www.
Scratch 3 UI but more compact would be the good choice.

Tired of the mainstream browsers being so darn slow, taking so much RAM on your super old laptop. Well, Catalyst is the solution. It is a zero compromise browser that will run on anything! Available for Windows, MacOS, and Linux! It is super fast and customizable with a fresh and modern UI!!!.

Always use the latest version of an antivirus. To get the latest security and protection, it is also recommended to use the latest version of MacOS or one that get's security patches. Update your software or you will regret it, and you will have several risks waiting for you.

MagicCrayon9342
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The scratchr2 topic

Also I do question why you seem to not be happy about following material design.

Chiroyce
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The scratchr2 topic

Naleksuh wrote:

For the record, scratchr2's UI looks nothing like Scratch 2.0's UI. But yes, scratchr2's UI is much better. I can't look at www for more than a few seconds without burning up
wait until the forums + user pages are WWW'd

Naleksuh wrote:

then copying material design
Google never copyrighted Material design or anything, I actually like it, looks really good.
https://material.io/design

Last edited by Chiroyce (Jan. 8, 2022 04:44:45)

| Boy | 13 | Python | ATer |  Tech | Cars | Procrastinator | Forums | Cricket | ☁️ Cloud |

5fdb2e83ca5a134289edeb294044abb23578eeb6d0d851cca9dd976b38ec6508

I FOUND IT!!! https://scratch.mit.edu/adminpanel/adminpanel.png

NanoRook
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The scratchr2 topic

I touched on it briefly here (pun accidentally intended) but I think my biggest complaint with WWW pages as they are is that they're terribly mobile unfriendly despite apparently having native mobile support with HTML5. The project player and front page especially are a whole can of worms.

Since the 2.0 pages on mobile are just zoomed out desktop pages, it makes them ironically much better to navigate since I can actually…y'know, navigate without having to flip to portrait because the website won't scroll.

Chiroyce wrote:

Google never copyrighted Material design or anything, I actually like it, looks really good.
https://material.io/design

I like Material too but it's like hearing a joke I've heard thousands of times. I am so very tired of webpages playing it as safe and corporate as possible, with the same plastic-y designs, 500MB JavaScript dependencies, and images that cover half the page so you spend longer on the site. I cherish when I find a webpage from the days where the whole point was to create a functioning, nice-looking webpage that doesn't adhere to that but is still fun to navigate and practical to use. Material embodies everything I hate about these new web conventions. Again, not that it's a bad theme at all, but because of what it means now.

I understand that this thread is more for Naleksuh to make 3000 posts about how much he hates WWW, which is kind of annoying but the guy's got a point–we live in a future where webpage bloat is the norm because endusers don't know better.

Last edited by NanoRook (Jan. 8, 2022 07:07:04)

Chiroyce
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The scratchr2 topic

NanoRook wrote:

500MB JavaScript dependencies
thats a good point - bloated css + js

| Boy | 13 | Python | ATer |  Tech | Cars | Procrastinator | Forums | Cricket | ☁️ Cloud |

CST1229
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The scratchr2 topic

NanoRook wrote:

I touched on it briefly here (pun accidentally intended) but I think my biggest complaint with WWW pages as they are is that they're terribly mobile unfriendly despite apparently having native mobile support with HTML5. The project player and front page especially are a whole can of worms.

Since the 2.0 pages on mobile are just zoomed out desktop pages, it makes them ironically much better to navigate since I can actually…y'know, navigate without having to flip to portrait because the website won't scroll.
This is a valid point for scratchr2.

This is a signature. It's text that appears below each post I write. Click here to make your own. And use Shift+Down to see more if you're on Chrome.

Stuff I made
All emojis usable in the forums and in comments

⌚️⏰⏱️⏲️⌨️☎️⌛️⚖️⚙️✉️✂️✒️☂️✏️☕️♟️⚰️⚱️⛏️⚔️⚒️⛓️⚗️⛑️
⭐️✨⚡️☄️☀️⛅️☁️⛈️⛄️❄️☔️☘️
☹️✌️☝️✍️✋☺️
⚽️⚾️⛳️⛹️⛷️⛸️
✈️⛵️Ⓜ️⚓️⛽️⛲️⛺️⛪️⛰️⛱️⛴️⛩️♨️
❗️❕❓❔©️®️‼️⁉️™️➕➖➗✖️⛔⭕❌✔️〰️〽️⚠️
☑️✅❎▶️⏩⏪⏫⏬ℹ️⏭️⏮️⏯️⏏️◀️➡️⬅️⬆️⬇️↗️↘️↙️↖️↪️↩️⤴️⤵️✳️✴️❇️㊗️㊙️
⚕️☦️♾️⚛️⛎️✝️☪️☮️☯️☸️♈️♉️♊️♋️♌️♍️♎️♏️♐️♑️♒️♓️
❤️❣️♠️♣️♥️♦️♀️♂️♻️☢️☣️⚜️➰️➿️☠️
⬛️⬜️⚪️⚫️▪️▫️◻️◼️◽️

Copy-paste as you wish! No credit needed.
Some assets for use in posts
Globe button
[img]https://cdn.scratch.mit.edu/scratchr2/static/__73c73bf495827f55759847fac6191e53__//djangobb_forum/img/browser-os.png[/img]
Maximouse
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The scratchr2 topic

Naleksuh wrote:

I don't think scratchr2's UI is modern – the way it uses shadows and gradients certainly isn't – but it's certainly more consistent than scratch-www's.

This is Maximouse's signature. Learn more about signatures.
Scratch137
Scratcher
500+ posts

The scratchr2 topic

I can agree that Scratch-WWW is definitely more inconsistent than ScratchR2.

The pages that were transitioned to WWW before 3.0 came out are generally a bit more consistent in terms of design; the Explore, Search, and Messages pages, for example, are nearly identical in terms of basic layout. I think the key factor in this consistency is that all of these pages were redesigned within a few months of each other, in 2016.

However, after 3.0 came out, this process slowed to a crawl; the most recent redesign, the studio page, looks absolutely nothing like any of these.

The studio page features elements such as borderless project thumbnails, buttons that dim when hovered over and sink in when clicked, and a overall blue tint across the entire page. None of these features are present on any of the pre-3.0 WWW pages.

I think the explanation for this is pretty clear; the studio pages didn't even begin development until two and a half years after Scratch 3.0 was released, during which time not a single page was migrated. There is a direct correlation between the consistency of the website's design and the amount of time between each page being migrated.

If the studio pages were migrated back in 2019 when 3.0 came out, or if other pages were migrated in between 2019 and 2021, then maybe studios would be more consistent with the rest of the website… but instead, we now find ourselves with somewhat of a mess.

_Scratch_____________ocular_____________postpercent_____________GitHub

Banner font is Cascadia Code

Za-Chary wrote:

No kissy kiss
No stabby stab

Them's the rulez..

And it was then that a single pixelated tear was shed by the cubeupload example image, and all of a sudden he discovered that he was no longer just an example image, soon to be deleted, but a real living boy!
as the jingle goes: gimme a break, gimme a break, break me off a piece of that —cubeupload example image

Be moist

;
Chiroyce
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The scratchr2 topic

NanoRook wrote:

I understand that this thread is more for Naleksuh to make 3000 posts about how much he hates WWW, which is kind of annoying but the guy's got a point–we live in a future where webpage bloat is the norm because endusers don't know better.
Yeah - people see the amazing UIs and think that it's great, but most of them don't realise why a page is so slow to load, bloat. Companies are exploiting uneducated web users

Maximouse
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The scratchr2 topic

Here is another example of inconsistency in scratch-www: buttons (modified to have the same width in the image for easier comparison).

Chiroyce
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The scratchr2 topic

Maximouse wrote:

Here is another example of inconsistency in scratch-www: buttons (modified to have the same width in the image for easier comparison).
This as well

(border is present outside of project thumbnail in explore page)

(border is not present outside of project thumbnail in explore page)

mybearworld
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The scratchr2 topic

Maximouse wrote:

Where did you get “post” from?

Manĝoj manĝas manĝon.
Food eats food.

Li parolas parole parolon.
He speaks a speech orally.

Is the scratch team evil? Have you accidentally built a shelf? Find all your answers here! In what forum should this go, then?
Maximouse
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The scratchr2 topic

mybearworld wrote:

Maximouse wrote:

Where did you get “post” from?
Project/studio comments.

mybearworld
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The scratchr2 topic

Maximouse wrote:

Project/studio comments.
oh, the increased width threw me off

Manĝoj manĝas manĝon.
Food eats food.

Li parolas parole parolon.
He speaks a speech orally.

Is the scratch team evil? Have you accidentally built a shelf? Find all your answers here! In what forum should this go, then?
Maximouse
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The scratchr2 topic

Chiroyce wrote:

Maximouse wrote:

This as well
(border is present outside of project thumbnail in explore page)
(border is not present outside of project thumbnail in explore page)
These two images also show another inconsistency: the size of profile pictures below project thumbnails is 32x32 on the Explore page and 42x42 on the studio page. The resizing method is different too (stretch vs cover). I hope this is something they will eventually fix – there is an issue about it in the scratch-www repo.

Because the images are enlarged, a bug is also visible: on the studio page, there is a gap between the rounded corners of the project thumbnail and the border of the tile. This is because both have the same border radius of 8px, even though the tile has an 1px border. The border radius of the image should be 7px.

Scratch137 wrote:

I think the explanation for this is pretty clear; the studio pages didn't even begin development until two and a half years after Scratch 3.0 was released, during which time not a single page was migrated. There is a direct correlation between the consistency of the website's design and the amount of time between each page being migrated.
Which also explains why scratchr2 is much more consistent: it was only in development for two or three years. Bootstrap probably helped as well.

It's interesting how buttons added in 2016 (“Load More”) and 2017 (“Try it”) use 8px border radius, 2019 (“See the latest”, “See inside”, “Post”) use 4px, and Follow Studio (2021) uses 8px again.

medians
Scratcher
500+ posts

The scratchr2 topic

Maximouse wrote:

Naleksuh wrote:

I don't think scratchr2's UI is modern – the way it uses shadows and gradients certainly isn't – but it's certainly more consistent than scratch-www's.
annndddd i feel very old now because a lot of stuff back then had the ui style

My other accounts: @selfexplanatory @modesties @chaircard @fireflyhero @dividendyield @colloids
Scratchr2 topic: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/541328/
Scratchr2 topic: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/541328/
block ::#FF3399
blo​ck
Chiroyce
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The scratchr2 topic

Jeffalo wrote:

naleksuh, i heard you were funding the scratch foundation so that they'll move to scratchr2 only. how much you putting in?
well codubee suggested $100,000,000, but i think Naleksuh is ready to give more….

— https://scratch.mit.edu/users/codubee/#comments-179871996

Last edited by Chiroyce (Jan. 13, 2022 14:04:21)

Jeffalo
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The scratchr2 topic

Chiroyce wrote:

Jeffalo wrote:

naleksuh, i heard you were funding the scratch foundation so that they'll move to scratchr2 only. how much you putting in?
well codubee suggested $100,000,00, but i think Naleksuh is ready to give more….

— https://scratch.mit.edu/users/codubee/#comments-179871996
naleksuh doesn't understand joke

my website: jeffalo.net | ocular: scratch forum search