Discuss Scratch

JollofRice123
Scratcher
500+ posts

✨SWOW General Forum (Scratch's World of Writers)!✨

-°•~*+.SWOW General Forum!-°•~*+.
-Scratch's World of Writers-

Hey there! ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ

Welcome to the General Forum for the Scratch's World of Writers studio! This is a place where curators and non-curators alike can hang out, share and check out the work of other writers, develop writing prompts…and the list goes on!

Most of these things can be done on the studio as well, but forums allow for a little more freedom with sharing your work and writing longer paragraphs. It's up to you to decide which way you want to engage with the community (but the studio is currently much more active!) ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Some things that you can do here:
  • Ask for opinions on thumbnails for stories you want to share on Scratch

Share and ask for critiques on extracts

Edit excerpts of other writers' work

Communicate with and learn more about other writers

There are a variety of other things you can do on this forum as well! Think of it as an extra space for things you want to discuss on the studio, but can't fully do as a result of limitations that discussion forums don't have (◠ᴥ◕ʋ)

Importantly, this is also a place where curators can get updates for managers, especially in the case that the studio can't be updated.

Keep an eye out for those!

If you don't want to miss out on new posts here, make sure to follow the discussion too, just be sure.

As per usual, make sure to follow the community guidelines when posting something. I'm going to assume that I can trust you all to do that, but the link is there in case you need to double-check anything.

Well, that's it from me! Have fun, fellow writers! :D
boom2ratz
Scratcher
1000+ posts

First B)

All right, I'll keep an eye out on this forum! :P

Last edited by boom2ratz (Oct. 18, 2021 19:38:48)

“That has to it”
- Matjam02
QuirkyPROgrammer_101
Scratcher
50 posts

Hey!

About Me
✧Quirky✧
Potterhead, wannabe Ling Ling, Author, Artist, Athlete, Coder. Always ready to talk, discuss or debate! ฅʕ•̫͡•ʔฅ
Oh and I speak 6 languages & can say hundred digits of pi.

Stroll at my profile to know more about me!
Cakepoptri2
Scratcher
84 posts

Sure. Followed discussion

Hi!I'm just your average reader and writer who's also super crazy and weird. I love donuts cake pops and life is going horrible all okay!

QuirkyPROgrammer_101
Scratcher
50 posts

21st August 2021 QOTD:

The antagonist of a fairytale has asked you to join forces with them and help them end the loop in which they constantly lose to the protagonist/s! Who is said antagonist, what fairytale are they from, and most importantly, do you accept or decline their request?

About Me
✧Quirky✧
Potterhead, wannabe Ling Ling, Author, Artist, Athlete, Coder. Always ready to talk, discuss or debate! ฅʕ•̫͡•ʔฅ

tek_ilovemarvel
Scratcher
100+ posts

Thanks!

Last edited by tek_ilovemarvel (Aug. 22, 2021 04:54:24)

I moved to @aniii-
tek_ilovemarvel
Scratcher
100+ posts

22nd August 2021 QOTD:

do grammer. and a punctuation Bother u: as a wryter. Why or, y knot……!

I moved to @aniii-
QuirkyPROgrammer_101
Scratcher
50 posts

tek_ilovemarvel wrote:

22nd August 2021 QOTD:

do grammer. and a punctuation Bother u: as a wryter. Why or, y knot……!

It does..a LOT..I like to think that I'm a part of the grammar police, and people who don't speak/write with the correct grammar/punctuations make my skin crawl

About Me
✧Quirky✧

chillaxinpcpn
Scratcher
5 posts

are we allowed to suggest questions/ideas here?
if so, can i suggest a qotd?
– how would you write a dream scene in a story? how would the font, size, style, language, etc be different from the story? –
if it's a repeat, no need to include it, just lmk

✎ hey! i'm pine, a small scratcher with big dreams (✿◠‿◠)
✎ i’m a writer, artist, friend to all (except eggplant because … no), and obnoxious overuser of sauces
✎ i care about womens rights, ending racism, gay rights, books, and potatoes
✎ have a wonderful day! ♡
ShadowSelene
Scratcher
50 posts

No, go check out the suggestions forum. This is the general chat one, I think.

YEET

I need therapy apparently.
QuirkyPROgrammer_101
Scratcher
50 posts

chillaxinpcpn wrote:

– how would you write a dream scene in a story? how would the font, size, style, language, etc be different from the story? –

https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/post/5518052/

About Me
✧Quirky✧

JollofRice123
Scratcher
500+ posts

chillaxinpcpn wrote:

Ooh, nice idea! For future reference, you can post any other suggestions in the forum @QuirkyPROgrammer_101 linked in the post above mine. That being said, though, consider your QOTD suggestion noted and scheduled! You'll be given credit when it's put in the studio description ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ
AnimatorsParadise
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Someday I want to write a satire story where it's intentionally incredibly bad. Like maybe the villain was 1 nanosecond late for school when they were young, and wants to annihilate the entire omni-verse.

ShadowSelene
Scratcher
50 posts

Whoa how do you do the thing at the bottom of all ur messages?

AnimatorsParadise
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ShadowSelene wrote:

Whoa how do you do the thing at the bottom of all ur messages?
It's called a signature. This should help you.

ShadowSelene
Scratcher
50 posts

Hiya, Shadow here!

AOTW

I’d really love it of someone could review this in their AOTW: (it’s my writing)
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/575434280

I read this:
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/569457133

I really loved the suspense and sense of excitement as I waited to see what would happen. That was just great and I think that we could all take a lesson in suspense from glitter butt rules!

However, I think that going from school to home in such a short time was probably unnecessary. I would’ve added more detail in the school part and shown more of the other kids’ reactions. But don’t feel pressured to change it of you like it.

SM2991V
Scratcher
100+ posts

This is just a short story that I wrote. It is also in project form if you want to look at it that way.

Writer's block
——————–
I slammed my pencil down on my desk. Three hours ago I had sat down at my desk to write a story expectecting I would finish in five minutes but I had not written a single thing yet. I threw my pencil across the room. It smashed into my stack of analog issues and my stack of comics. The two stacks fell down mixing the comics and magazine issues together in one mammoth pile. “Dang it” I yelled in frustration. The magazines and comics had taken two hours to organize into neat piles. Now they were strewn all over my floor. I got up, went to the far side of my room and retrieved my pencil. I need something to focus on, I thought. I opened my laptop and turned on the lofi hip hop radio beats to study and relax to stream. The calm ambient music made my mind's gears start working. I smiled and started to write.

SM2991V: writer- nerd- fav color is neon green. I manage a writing studio : STORY CORNER
I own the first ever Marvel Writing Universe on Scratch. It is called the SMWU which stands for Scratch Marvel Writing Universe - SMWU

PoppyWriter
Scratcher
500+ posts

Hey everyone!! I'm writing a novella right now, and I'm wondering if this excerpt sounds too stiff or cliché…

I gawked at the house. It was huge. We walked inside, and I was directed to a bedroom on the second floor. I didn’t have much to unpack. I sat down on the edge of the bed and pulled the white ribbon out of my hair. I washed up and took a moment to replay all that had happened in the past few days.
In the space of one week, I had gone from riches to rags, been betrayed, been technically arrested, and then adopted. I took a deep breath and relaxed for the first time in a while. I was unknowingly drifting off to sleep when someone knocked on the door and informed me that the earl was calling me.
I went downstairs and into the drawing room. He was there, smiling at me. I waited for him to start speaking. He seemed the talkative type. He ran through some general things- when breakfast and dinner were, where different rooms were, and the names of visitors that may come by if he was out.

Thanks!!

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a girl who has a lot of books and too little bookshelf space must be in want of… more books.
QuirkyPROgrammer_101
Scratcher
50 posts

PoppyWriter wrote:

Hey everyone!! I'm writing a novella right now, and I'm wondering if this excerpt sounds too stiff or cliché…
Going good! Except what I would say (I'm just assuming that you havent started yet writing further than this excerpt) is try not to make the whole novella in this format. Try to add plot twists and incidents that make the reader gasp. If you're novella's already in this way, calm-slow moving scenes like these help to create an interest in the whole novella.
Hope you found it useful!

About Me
✧Quirky✧

QuirkyPROgrammer_101
Scratcher
50 posts

SM2991V wrote:

This is just a short story that I wrote. It is also in project form if you want to look at it that way.

Writer's block

Good work! I would suggest you to to add bit more emotion to the sentences.

This is how I would rewrite it.

“Why is it that I can't think of anything!?” I am furious. It's been three hours. Three hours! How pathetic must it be that a writer cannot think of ONE word to write since three hours? Huh? I swear I had an idea on what was to be written before sitting down. The moment I sit down to write…POOF, all the ideas just….vanish. I've been working on this book for longer than I expected. This is not at all how I thought this would go.

“You're hyperventilating Jane. Calm down” I said to myself; but in vain. In frustration I threw my pencil towards the other side of the room. THUD! The magazines and comics that had taken me two hours to organize into neat piles on the shelf fell. Great, I thought to myself. This day could not get any worse.

I took a deep breath. I had to finish writing at least a page today. I had to. Whenever I'm stressed, I pop some lofi beats on my computer. “Have a calm mind Jane. That is all is needed right now.” So, I put on my headphones, turn up the lofi hip hop beat in my playlist. My breathing slowed, my head throbbing reduced. There you go. That was easy wasn't it? Then my brain suddenly lit up. I got an idea to continue the story! I started to jot down the points with full zest. I was calm. My mind had started to work properly. I smiled to myself. I was happy.

About Me
✧Quirky✧