Discuss Scratch

-rosybliss-
Scratcher
37 posts

SWOW Monthly Writing Dares! (Post responses here!)

╒═══════✰°
*MWD Response*
°✰═══════╛

—————————♡—————————
Prompt: Write a story about two characters meeting under unfortunate/non-ideal circumstances.
—————————♡—————————
“This… isn't a good idea.”
I snorted. “Says you. This is definitely going to work.”
My best friend, Leah, raised an eyebrow at the flimsy structure I had built in order to barricade the fridge shut. It consisted of empty macaroni boxes, a few rocks Leah had begrudgingly gotten from outside, and an old crusty broom that we had found in the back closet of the kitchen. Why our kitchen had a back closet, I wasn't sure. But still, it was there.
“We could have just emptied out the fridge.” Leah sighed.
“Truee… But… That would have taken longer, plus everything would be warm and gross. This place is like an oven.”
“That's not going to stay closed, Lil. But fine, let's just get back to work.” Leah turned back to the stovetop and started flipping burgers.
I sighed, scooped the fries out of the fryer, and started putting them in their little cups.
“Did you hear about the new employee that the boss hired? They needed someone new to serve tables after Janet left.”
“Left,” I said the word with air quotes. “I heard something else happened…”
Leah turned around. If there's something sweet, sensible, Leah can't resist, it's drama.
“What's the tea?”
I grinned. “Well, I heard-
Suddenly, the door opened and hit the wall of macaroni boxes, and our ”carefully“ placed tower fell over. The fridge door slammed open, and frozen peas started spilling out.
”The heck is this?“ A guy with an apron on had come in, and he looked annoyed.
Leah gasped. ”You must be the new employee! About that…"
—————————♡—————————
EIN1010scratch
Scratcher
3 posts

SWOW Monthly Writing Dares! (Post responses here!)

gh0stwriter wrote:

•prologue•

➽──────────────────────────────────────❥
The crowd was anxious. Whispers echoed around the circle. Uneasiness rippled through the crowd like someone had just dropped a heavy stone in a still pool of water.

Even though the occasion was worrying, the day was almost enough to brighten everyone’s spirits. The sun nearly had risen, a small tip of orange-yellow peeking on the horizon. The air was cool and crisp, a gentle breeze caressing them like soft fingers. Some started to relax.

“Ahem, sorry to interrupt everyone,” The mayor’s voice came out loud and high-pitched, trembling slightly. His hands shook violently as he fiddled with
the blue buttons on his shirt. “But this message is very…urgent.”

The mayor’s choice of words caused the crowd to murmur among themselves more noticeably, but the mayor managed to speak over them.

“The Empire has been attacked by the Pernalins, but—” The voices rose over the mayor yet again, whose sober face slipped into worry for just a second. But it straightened up as quickly as it had fallen.

“But we can help.” The voices died down. “Send one from your family to give service to the military.”

At that moment, the guards flocking the mayor closed in on the crowd, spears held high. No one would be getting out soon. Everyone fell silent.

“I will.” A woman stepped forward. She untangled a huge batch of children clinging onto her. This took a few moments to get them off, but when they
were gone, she did not straighten up when the burden was removed. The children’s sobs and cries echoed through the silent city.

After she had, many stepped forward. It was terrible and admirable at the same time. The thought that they may sacrifice themselves for the war… It was worse than giving tribute to the Empire.

The families blended back into the crowd, who seemed to turn into one. Soon there was only a man, a woman, and a girl around eight years old. The
woman clenched the man’s arm like it was her lifeline.

The mayor waited, but neither the man nor the woman stepped forward. Instead, the family turned their back to him and melted into the onlooking crowd.

➽────────────────────────────────────❥

•one•
AUDREE
the warrior festival

The warrior festival is today.

But I don’t think I’m ready for it. Sure, I don’t have to go. But I do want to go. To prove that our family isn’t useless or afraid.

The warrior festival has been held every year since the war was declared. It’s the fifth one now. It’s for honoring the fallen warriors that have sacrificed themselves for the Empire.

It starts on June third, a sacred day among the “United” Empires. It marks the day of when the three emperors united their forces. Even the Pernalins respect this day, to take a break from fighting. The soldiers get to rest, visit family, and say final goodbyes to their comrades at the festival until the fighting resumes the next day.

“Are you sure—” Mother asks me at the dining table. She had just cooked fresh breakfast for once, even though we barely had enough ingredients left. The hearty soup warmed me down to the bone. I guess this was to bribe me to stay inside, but it didn’t work as intended.

“I’m sure,” I say, in between swallowing a chunk of fruit. I looked into her hazel eyes, and I knew she wanted to retaliate back at me. But she quickly realized that she wasn’t going to change my mind.

“Just try not to get hurt,” Mother said slowly, sighing. “Don’t wander too far from home. And—”

“I know the drill, okay?” I interrupted. “I’m almost fourteen and you’re still treating me like a baby!” Mother blinked. Then she walked over to me and kissed me on the forehead.

“Come back by six, okay?” She breathed. I sprang up from my chair and nearly ran out the door, not taking a single glance behind me.

The festival was in full swing outside. The fabricated royal dragon seemed to fly through the sky, manned by people holding up sections of the dragon’s body on long wooden poles.

The woven elaborate cerulean scales shined and merged with the darker shades of the color. It was incredible how beautiful and realistic it was up close,
the striking red eyes boring into mine.

While everyone was partying now, when it became darker everyone would crowd around a specific booth. There they would honor the soldiers’ bravery by lighting the lanterns along the Vitreuse River, where the current would take them to new places.

The merchants shouted over the hubbub of the millions of people chattering around the square, trying to advertise their goods. Without thinking, I stopped in front of one of the stands which sold what looked like some sort of small round cakes.

The aroma wafted through the air and I sighed with longing. Though I probably didn’t have enough, I couldn’t help but try.

I took out my coins from my pouch and counted them silently in my palm. I handed the coins to the merchant running it, who gave me a kind smile which caused her skin to crinkle around her eyes.

She turned over each coin slowly and with great care.

While I waited, I turned away from the woman to observe the events in the square. Children laughed and chased the dragon. Parents watched them anxiously and held hands, feasting on expensive pastries. All these people seemed to have normal, perfect lives.

The merchant shouted in my ear, “Done.”

She shoved three of her cakes into my arms. They were still warm from the oven. I took a small step backwards and tried not to run into someone—the square was crowded.

The bricks in the road were uneven, but I managed to keep my balance. I could barely see where I was going with the amount of people around me.

“Take this,” Someone whispered from behind me. They handed me a soft bag, just the right size for the cakes. I murmured a small thanks to them.

As I slipped the cakes into the bag, I noticed that the bag wasn’t even empty—it had dozens of loaves of bread inside, enough to feed my family for a month or even more. I wanted to call out, but I decided not to.

Obviously, this person had wished me well.

I tried not to stand out—stealing was common. I hugged it to my chest and felt the corners of the bread press against me.

Clutching the bag harder, I decided to drop off the food at home. I couldn’t let it be stolen, and, of course, it was getting late already. I didn’t want to lose track of time and worry Mother.

Though there was a much more common way to get home, I decided to go down the alleyway so I could get home faster. I jumped in between the bricks, trying to balance in my tight shoes. I was still getting used to them.

“Where are you going, little girl?”

I tried not to get too angry about the comment. I whirled around to face a brutish boy with mousy black hair slicked down under a simple brown hat. I knew immediately who he was. He was one of the blacksmiths’ servants, who helped fund the place by stealing.

Behind him were four others.

I thought better not to answer and kept walking at a faster pace, but my shoes slowed me down.

One next to the boy grabbed me by the shoulder. They weren’t letting me go that easily.

“Where are your parents?” He prompted. The way that his fingers clutched my shoulder scared me, and I decided to answer.

“At home, I’m—”

Before I could finish my sentence, someone grabbed my bag. Ugly laughter came from them. I should’ve known not to come this way—everyone would be in the square, not on the streets. No one would even notice that I was being mugged.

They crowded in, peeking into the bag. One of them took my precious cakes and threw them down his throat. I hoped he’d choke on it, but he didn’t.

I wanted to run, or even better, get the bag back, but these boys looked like they were much stronger and faster than me.

“Hey!” One of them said, his voice sounded kinder than the others. I craned my neck to see him.

Chocolate brown eyes flickered from side to side, as if he were thinking a million thoughts at once. An crooked apron was hastily shoved over his gold-
adorned red and blue sweater. His hands, covered with dark brown fingerless gloves, fidgeted. “We should let her go.”

The others stared at him as if he was crazy. “But the boss said—”

“I know what he said,” He snapped. “But I don’t think he’d want us to steal from little girls.”

“I’m not a little girl,” I protested, but no one seemed to notice.

The tallest, and I presumed, the leader of the group grunted and started to crack his knuckles. I winced at the sound. Everyone else started to stand
back, eyes moving back and forth as if they were watching a fairly interesting show.

“We can find someone else, Steven,” The one who defended me argued. He caught my eye and gave me a look that said run.

The taller one, Steven, kicked away my bag.

I counted in my head. They both started advancing on each other. I braced myself to run. I started to slip my feet out of my uncomfortable shoes.

Without a hesitation, I managed to slip free from the person holding me, who was distracted enough to let me go.

Before anyone could react, I lunged forward for the bag lying near Steven’s feet. At the same time, I glanced upward and saw Steven jump forward to punch my defender, but he dodged and tripped Steven who landed hard on the bricks.

My fingers closed on the bag and I ran. Even though some of the contents spilled out, I didn’t have time. My mind was fixated on the thought of escaping.

I wanted to kick away my shoes and keep sprinting, but I knew Mother would never allow it. I had to bend over and pick them up instead. I knew I was losing valuable time and I didn’t even know if anyone was still chasing me.

Sprinting around the corner, my bare feet pounded on the dirt. A cloud of dust billowed in my face, and when it dissolved, I saw my home, standing tall and proud in front of me. I was safe.

I scrambled onto the front steps and yanked open the door. I’d forgotten to lock it before, but this was to my advantage. Once I stepped inside, I barred it immediately. I sank onto the floor, breathing heavily.

“Audree?” I heard my mother say. Her face came into view from the hallway, lit faintly by a candle. “You’re home early.”

➽─────────────────────────────────────❥
OKAY so this thing in the first chapter is subject to change, and it’s part of a story I’m writing called Hopeless. Again, the thing in the 1st chapter is subject to change because it’s not fully edited. I hope you liked it! Peace out

~ Peggy