Discuss Scratch

-Kryptonite-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Why did the ST enable the new owner/manager update although this idea was rejected before?

BearSlothCoding wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

We had wanted more advanced functions for studio control, but at the end of the day, this just wasn’t gonna happen at the time with the resources we had.
But does that mean we may get manager permissions back due to this?
Most likely not as cheddargirl said it created quite a bit of lag.

Last edited by -Kryptonite- (July 9, 2021 18:16:14)

Welcome to my Forum signature.
Austinato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Why did the ST enable the new owner/manager update although this idea was rejected before?

-Kryptonite- wrote:

Most likely not as cheddar girl said it created quite a bit of lag.
I took cheddargirl's post as “we would have taken a different approach but we just couldn't at the time,” which kind of implies at some point down the line (maybe a while) they might change things.

7500+ posts (19th)
-Kryptonite-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Austinato wrote:

-Kryptonite- wrote:

I took cheddargirl's post as “we would have taken a different approach but we just couldn't at the time,” which kind of implies at some point down the line (maybe a while) they might change things.
Ah my bad, these are some posts that I refered from: 1 2

Queer_Royalty
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-Kryptonite- wrote:

BearSlothCoding wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

We had wanted more advanced functions for studio control, but at the end of the day, this just wasn’t gonna happen at the time with the resources we had.
If a massive amount of users leave because of the studio update, that lag might be reduced (joking).

Lag isn't permanent. Technology is improving every day. More people are donating to Scratch. I wouldn't be surprised if it did get better in the future to the point where the ST can consider better options.

i would like to sincerely apologize for the above post.

i am stupid, weird, worthless, and in general a bad person but at least i am decent at platformers.
-Mini-X-
Scratcher
100+ posts

Queer_Royalty wrote:

-Kryptonite- wrote:

BearSlothCoding wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

If a massive amount of users leave because of the studio update, that lag might be reduced (joking).

Lag isn't permanent. Technology is improving every day. More people are donating to Scratch. I wouldn't be surprised if it did get better in the future to the point where the ST can consider better options.
Yes, most likely, but I am assuming that won't happen anytime soon and anybody complaining about the manager permissions would probably have stopped by then.

Last edited by -Mini-X- (July 9, 2021 18:32:25)

It is currently 23:22, as I am typing this.

There's a new animator in town, and that's me…What good word rhymes with me, ree? Hey there! I'm X! Maker of animations, art and games. My favourite type of music is classical music! I use Scratch or play the piano in my free time. =) ‎‏‏‎
linearlemur
Scratcher
500+ posts

cheddargirl wrote:

Chiroyce wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

That being said, this big decision was made due to internal and budget issues, and that kind of stuff can override wishes of a majority and even the ST, at times.
Hi, umm… do you mind explaining how limiting a manager's ability to edit the description or thumbnail was made due to an internal storage/performance or budget issue?
We noticed too many people changing the studio out every couple of hours at best, every minutes over several hours at worst. That’s an awful lot of changes the system needs to be saving.

There could be a time limit before a studio can be edited again, perhaps 2 or 3 hours.

I found out how to put letters in cloud variables! https://turbowarp.org/526557379 (I really didn't feel like sharing the project, lol)
-Kryptonite-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

linearlemur wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

Chiroyce wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

That being said, this big decision was made due to internal and budget issues, and that kind of stuff can override wishes of a majority and even the ST, at times.
Hi, umm… do you mind explaining how limiting a manager's ability to edit the description or thumbnail was made due to an internal storage/performance or budget issue?
We noticed too many people changing the studio out every couple of hours at best, every minutes over several hours at worst. That’s an awful lot of changes the system needs to be saving.

There could be a time limit before a studio can be edited again, perhaps 2 or 3 hours.
Again, with the sheer amount of studios, it's only a matter of time when this solution doesn't work. The manager limits are a long-term solution.

cheddargirl
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

linearlemur wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

Chiroyce wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

That was one of many ideas we kicked around, but it ultimately fell to the wayside due to the time it would take to build that in (along with the sheer number of studios as pointed out in the post above mine), by which then things could be worse off (a lot of the other stuff we thought about also ended up getting soft-rejected for similar reasons). We might revisit the idea again if things turn out to be a bit better to allow for better changes.

Sadly, my forum signature was eaten by an evil kumquat.
Arqwa
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I think it's great that members of the Scratch Team are taking time today to explain things to us, because I think time is valuable in what you have to do. Thank you for making us see the reality that Scratch can't do everything it wants because there are limited ressources, it's not like other websites that have income thanks to advertising, product placement, Scratch remains neutral, and you have to learn with it.

I would like to add, even if I'm not sure of what I'm saying, that the Scratch Team has given limitations for managers, the number of managers and maybe the editing permissions because it could otherwise mobilize a lot of moderators to solve many problems with “ransacking” studios. I would like to emphasize the fact that Scratch is currently very well moderated and if we want to make it sustainable for everyone, in the futur, tomorrow, we need to restrict some things. Am I right?

The Scratch Foundation is hiring but the finances may not be in a very very good “position” either?

Arqwa, French scratcher ~
twilightsparkle4958
Scratcher
56 posts

Yeah. This makes absolutely no sense. They rejected it, saying that it would ruin studios with inactive owners, but eventually they said “eh whatever” and they added it anyway.

when I receive [Found scratch blocks!]
say [I forgot about these!!!] for (2) secs

Last edited by twilightsparkle4958 (July 9, 2021 23:39:25)

Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

To clarify, we did not reject this idea. A couple of Scratch Team members stated their personal opinions against it — which is not the same as rejecting it.

I think enough discussion about this has gone on, so I'll close this as resolved (the answer being: it wasn't rejected).

(By the way, the announcement does already state that “Much of this work was done in an effort to improve site performance” — i.e. lag.)

Last edited by Za-Chary (July 10, 2021 00:07:01)

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021. I reached 20,000 forum posts on June 24th 2024.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay