Discuss Scratch

wxterfaII
Scratcher
100+ posts

Taking Our Thoughts About The New Studio Update To The Scratch Team

hi guys! I know, from experience that it can be hard to cope with change, and sometimes it makes part of your scratch life impossible. but does it really help to fight about it with the st (scratch team)? what if we came together and worked with the st to help bring the best studio format up? post your thoughts here and I will take it to the st

things to keep in mind while posting your thoughts
- according to Za-Chary* the update did improve the speed of the comments loading and overall helped the website run faster ( note: my dad is a works at Microsoft so i know that any new update will cause errors and those can be fixed - but over all the site did benefit from the update. )
- the st was trying their best to benefit out needs! even though i can make your guys points polite - please try to be constructive
- think about how you would try to help or feel like if you were in the st - everyone is a human with emotions - needs - and interests - understanding that will help you be kinder not only to the st but to yourself

please do post your opinions! whether you are positive or negative or in between on how you feel about the new update - just make sure they're kind and supportive! please don't re-post your opinions because that makes it harder for me to keep count about what people think and how many people have posted

if you have any questions or just want to help out ask here

remember - its totally fine to feel lost or upset - just channel those emojis positively into making scratch better. thanks again!
- scarlet

Last edited by wxterfaII (July 7, 2021 18:27:39)

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ʷᵃⁿᵗ ᵃʳᵗ ᶠʳᵒᵐ ᵐᵉˀ
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ˡᵒᵒᵏ ᵃᵗ ᵐʸ ˢᵖᵉᶜᶦᵃˡˢ
GalaxyTimes
Scratcher
2 posts

Hi! GalaxyTimes here,

So in my opinion, I think the Scratch Team did a pretty good job with the studio update. It looks really good when it comes to fitting in with the Scratch 3.0 look, and I know the Scratch Team works very hard for us and for Scratch's development.

What I really like about this new look is the curator's/manager's page, where you see all the curators and managers. The way how they listed the users looks really good and it also looks really organized. The change of how many managers are able to run a studio is reasonable, because sometimes things can go a bit wild if there are a lot of of them.

One issue I have is the fact that the project icons look uh, too big. I tried looking at studios from two different laptops (one is a Chromebook), and all I can say is on both of them the project icons just look too big. We can only look at some of the projects in a studio because of the icon size, while in the old look we can look at many. Sorry to say, but I had to set my page zoom-in size to 90%. Maybe make the icons a bit more smaller?

Another issue is the change of lack of the manager's role. I feel like manager's should still be able to edit descriptions. When a person is promoted to be manager, this means that they are trusted by the studio owner. I just feel like if a manager edits a studio description without permission, it's sort of the studio owner's responsibility that they promoted that user to be manager. Instead of not letting any manager be able to change the studio description, I think studio owners should be able to choose if they want managers to be able to change the description or not, just like how they are able to choose whether they want anyone to be able to add projects in a studio or not. This is also a problem with famous studios created by users who don't use the site anymore and want others to run the studio. It even says on the Scratch Wiki page (when it comes to studio edits),

“Commonly in studios with many managers, such as Add Everything studios and Get Managers studios, a manager may damage or vandalize the studio by removing an unreasonable amount of projects and curators/managers or adding lots of irrelevant projects. Further problems can occur if managers begin deleting or inviting random curators and changing the title, description, or thumbnail of the studio. This can lead to a time-consuming fix-up. A manager who vandalizes a studio may receive an alert or ban. The only way to prevent damage to a studio is to only promote users one trusts.”
Source: https://en.scratch-wiki.info/wiki/Manager

To conclude, I feel like the overall design is spectacular, as it really goes in with the Scratch 3.0. design. However, it's just the size of each individual project that doesn't really fit in with me, and the change of the manager role. A suggestion? Well, I think the Scratch Team should ask the people using the site about upcoming changes before taking action. It seems like some people didn't like it because they wanted to know beforehand. But of course, the Scratch Team is doing the best they can, and they do not deserve to get hatred of any kind. We should always keep in mind to continue having respect online. Thank you for reading, and have a nice day

{I also posted this on the ScratchCat discussion}

Last edited by GalaxyTimes (July 7, 2021 04:48:32)

if <[mangoes] = (yes)> then
switch costume to [GalaxyTimes Happy Mode v]
end

I'm GalaxyTimes
wxterfaII
Scratcher
100+ posts

purpledog65 wrote:

Yas let's change it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what do you not like about it? what's upsetting you? this is a safe space to share your/our opinions!

Last edited by wxterfaII (July 7, 2021 05:13:09)

Ponywinner
Scratcher
2 posts

hi guys! I know, from experience that it can be hard to cope with change, and sometimes it makes part of your scratch life impossible. but does it really help to fight about it with the st (scratch team)?

YES IT DOES HELP TO FIGHT THE ST!
IT LETS US GET OUR ANGER OUT!!

wxterfaII
Scratcher
100+ posts

Ponywinner wrote:

hi guys! I know, from experience that it can be hard to cope with change, and sometimes it makes part of your scratch life impossible. but does it really help to fight about it with the st (scratch team)?

YES IT DOES HELP TO FIGHT THE ST!
IT LETS US GET OUR ANGER OUT!!

and that is fine too! just remember not to be negative to anyone - once you get your anger out, come back and tell us your thoughts

suggestions
- listening to music
- doing something you enjoy
- talk to friends
- eat/sleep/get exercise

wxterfaII
Scratcher
100+ posts

i am going to sleep for the night! see you in the morning!

edit: im back

Last edited by wxterfaII (July 7, 2021 16:00:54)

--CherryCloud--
Scratcher
500+ posts

I think that you should be able to have different leves in a studio, and the owner can give them to other people in the studio.

made by gabbie <3
Highstone
Scratcher
68 posts

goodbye 2-d armies

Hi, I'm Highstone! I like dogs and peanut butter and Friday Night Funkin' and peanut butter and music and peanut butter and YTPs and peanut butter and Calvin & Hobbes and peanut butter, in that order!
lgutowska
Scratcher
100+ posts

sure, they might look great (although will take a bit of getting used to Imao- but thats obvious with anything really thats new although I honestly think it looks ugly (and not just the studios: I prefer how the old comments on projects, etc looked too but that's just a personal taste. I just feel like they made everything too large. Again.) but there are a few features which, in my opinion, kind of decrease rather than improve the way studios work.

For example, a managers role is to basically be a head of the studio. With this new update, the studio's “upkeeping” falls onto one person which is already bad, but even worse if the studio owner is inactive or such (especially in roleplay or studios with a QOTW/a description that needs to be edited). ST says to just make a new studio… but what if the studio is already mega-popular (such as Writers Unite) or roleplays which already have chains in, or having to transfer a lot of projects, etc? it's just very inconvenient. The managers role basically just becomes a curator, and the only person with manager abilities is the owner of the studio. The only thing managers can do is add people. Adding on to this, you can no longer add your followers and have to manually write each persons username. Which is also incredibly inconvenient.
Sure, this is to stop “studio raids” but that should be the person promoting other's responsibility and not Scratch Teams. Scratchers should be thinking about who they're promoting. This causes more problems than it solves. A better update that wont be as inconvenient is that the Studio Owner can assign responsibilities/settings to managers such as “can they change the title and description? yes/no” and so forth.
Also, this is just a very small issue that most won't care about, but why delete the ability to see how many comments are in a chain? ahah i really liked that feature, although its not really an issue compared to the other larger ones. also the text boxes are kinda big, especially on PC, but tbh its fine.

And y comment chains only go up to 25 comments???? Like- who the heck thought this was a good idea???
What about ROLEPLAYERS who regularly go literally 100+ comments on one chain?? I've gone over 500 twice even-
Why? “to make scratch less laggy?” but won't there still be the same amount of comments even if people constantly start new chains? Isn't scratch “imagine, create, share”? But how can we share with this limit? And say goodbye to collabs too discussing the Collab will take a lot of messages: more than 25. Literally a normal conversation with a friend was 30-40 replies and can even become longer imao

My main issues are the downgraded Manager roles and the INCREDIBLY SMALL comment limit. There are a few other issues but these two are my main ones.

your local overthinker

Hello! I'm Skye, a user of Scratch since 2016! I do art and love to roleplay.

#returnstudios2021

wwwwwwweewwah

K
dreamii-hearts
Scratcher
7 posts

hiya, wxterfaII! i'm esme and i'd just like to say well done for doing this because i think we all need to adjust to what's happened and need to realise that it probably won't change back to how it used to be! anyway, i feel like the graphic design gone behind it is brill and most of all, the fact that i won't be invited to any “let's get 1000000 managers” studios. 40 managers is acceptable, isn't it… but i feel like 50 would have been better. any idea how you can chat to someone without commenting? what about how to get your followers bar at the bottom of the screen to invite them? i don't know how any of this is possible in the new design and i feel like the scratch team should have asked our opinions on it first; to get ideas from the thousands of users that use scratch everyday! but, to be fair, overall, it's stunning how it's turned out! i really like it and wish others would just start to see the positives in this update!
-Catti
Scratcher
52 posts

Hi I’m Catti and as u may already know, I don’t like the new studio platforms. Why? Let me explain, First it’s really really not necessary to have New Scratchers not have authority, we want them to have at least them to have some because if you take away that responsibility, I don’t think that’s very welcoming and then they leave because of it. Second, I know that sometimes when we let people become managers they wreck the studio but that’s why we have back up studios and copy’s of the studio for plus some popular studios and RP’s like TFCRP owner isn’t on Scratch anymore and we don’t want to move Studios again and again. Third of all I don’t think we need a comment limit for a chain or if we do pls move it to 200 or more than 100 since people like to RP and also people may need to chat on one big chain on a studio. Fourth of all I do like the new platform but there’s a few things u may want to change like how you switch the sections and because it doesn’t work on phones too much but I would like it more if u changed it back and maybe tweaked it a little bit? I do like the new browse projects tab tho but having to type in usernames? That’s crazy! Pls add that tab back and here are some suggestions if u still want to update the studios: Do a invite all followers button! Over Scratch’s time people have hated to press username after usernames and this makes it easier. If your worried about people taking over the studio the owner could have access to who can just invite people and those who can edit the name and desc, if the owner is not active we could give that permission to the second manager depending on how long they’ve been UN active, maybe 2 months or more ^^ and a design more like the old on but combined with the new one, make sure it’s good on mobile! There shouldn’t be a comment limit or follower limit! But if you want too set it to 200 or 100 Next I wanna go back to whys such a big deal to have this new platform, well people are leaving Scratch because of it because it’s a big change, u did it without warning most of us that don’t see the daily announcements and it just isn’t feeling like Scratch cares about the Scratchers, no offense. Plus a few months from now RPs might go out of existence because of this and there one of the many reasons people use Scratch. Please please if you do care about our input and our opinions, please take them into consideration, thank you, I know we can make sure Scratch doesn’t break down in a few months, your friend, Catti.
Scratcher
75 posts

I strongly dislike the update and here’s why 1) the studio look is just muddy and very hard to look at on mobile. 2) Managers are trusted by the studio maker there are better ways of managing raids such as: making more strict punishments for active raiders and defining what spam is more in depth in the tos(3 the reply strain is going to be frustrating for a large and I mean large part of scratch someone might not be able to find the new thread someone’s rp in. For non-rp studios scratch has said that studios are meant to have colabs and show projects but if someones trying to make a collab with someone and have it a secret till released then comment stalkers could more easily see that. (4 the most important reason in my opinion people with ND can get overwhelmed or disoriented due to the look which has already caused multiple scratchers I know to delete their account or go on hiatus I would go more in-depth about the manger thing but I feel as many already have explained it better :]

*eats sunglasses*)[
wxterfaII
Scratcher
100+ posts

deleted by @wxterfaii

Last edited by wxterfaII (July 7, 2021 19:05:01)

blueberry_cloud
Scratcher
13 posts

I think the new update is pretty cool but I know that some people do not agree with me and that is okay so I was thinking that ST should tell us about the new changes before they do anything to scratch so that way they could here our opinions about the changes and this issue would never happen!
wxterfaII
Scratcher
100+ posts

I suppose the st is not taking anymore feedback </33

although this can be hard and for…

- roleplayers
- camps all over scratch
- any collab where you want the managers to be equal
- mall sims

we will have to learn to deal with it.

because the scratch team is closing the feedback for this I would quickly like to share my opinions
- this will be hard for me because i have leadership issues where i feel like people are more important than me and some pretty bad thoughts
- lots of my favorite places have made back up plans
- there are comments about the layout, which is fine and more homey for me
- it is understandable why the invite button was removed, but I think that there will be a lot more annoying automated messages now haha
- I think it is reasonable why you can't see how many followers the studio has if it has 100 or more
- this is triggering lots of fights and riots
- reply limits are annoying but understandable

over all I would be perfectly fine if only the description editing is back -

I might still take this to the st to show everyone's thoughts about the update. I am well aware more than half of the active users on scratch are made and a large portion of those people are not dealing with this rationally

I myself would really like it if the st took more suggestions but it isa fact that we do not know enough about how scratch works to make valid points. I just wish we handled this better and the st and community were better friends so we could work though this together.

I hope you had fun in the discussion! it was fun to read everyones opinions about the topic

one last time I would like to say to breathe - bike - walk - rollar skate - skate board - what every you enjoy doing. take a break from the studios and even just work on a project.

thank you for your time

WarriorZofFire
Scratcher
6 posts

Hello! These are my thoughts and suggestions on the new update. I know they aren't taking feedback, but I still would like to post this.

First I would like to say that I know the ST worked hard on it and aren't going to just throw away all their hard work. However, that doesn't mean this update is perfect or doesn't need change.

1. The comment reply limit.
I don't think this was a good idea for anything in studios. I know ST said that they aren't going to change anything for text-based rp'ers, but they aren't the only ones affected by this. I don't really understand or see how this helps anyone. I don't think it helps people “read more threads” because this was never a problem to begin with. I've never had a problem with long comment threads, and I've never heard anyone complain about it, or seen any problems related to it. Also, rp'ers aren't the only ones affected. Anyone who's making a collaborative project, discussing or debating something, or just chatting in general are affected too.
I think this was just unnecessary and adding it caused more issues than ever existed in the old form. At the very least, change the limit to be higher, like 50 comments or something.

2. Managers and curators.
They said they might be changing the manager system, so here are some of my suggestions.
-Studio managers can promote other people to be studio managers.
-There is no limit on regular managers.
-You can invite your followers like before.
-Optional, but it would be nice if there was an “invite all followers” option.
-You can demote managers back to curators without deleting them from the studio.

3. The new design.
I think the new design looks good, however, it is too big and is causing issues for sensitive people. I think changing it to be at least a little smaller would help. Also, some things are harder to see (I've seen people confused about how to see how many people are following the studio.)

4. How this came out of no where and no one tested it.
I, like many other scratchers, was confused and startled when it first released since I had no idea it was coming. A warning would have been nice, along with beta testers to see what they liked and how they would have changed it. That would probably have solved at least a few of the problems on this list, and also give us a chance to prepare.

Sorry if this was long, but I had a lot of thoughts on this and wanted to share them. Thanks for reading!

Last edited by WarriorZofFire (July 7, 2021 19:13:35)

Lean_theGamer
Scratcher
4 posts

wxterfaII wrote:

purpledog65 wrote:

what do you not like about it? what's upsetting you? this is a safe space to share your/our opinions!

This stupid update made many of my friends quit. we used the studios to chat with each other. but now, it looks stupid, managers cant edit anything, so theres not point of being a manager. honestly. i thought scratch was fun. Now i know that they suck.
That-One-Mega-Man
Scratcher
100+ posts

(taken from my own separate topic)
Aight.
I didn't like the layout last time i complained but i'm getting used to it.
Just saying that, I hope you take these suggestions into consideration though;

Please, PLEASE add back the “Add Followers” tab. It's a pain in the !@# to invite your followers now. Especially if you've got a lot, i hear.

If you can't add manager perms then at least add another rank for people to have that gives them owner perks. (Except some obvious stuff like deleting the studio) Managers are basically just “Invite your followers” now.

25 reply limit, no, just no. at least increase it to like 500 or 300 or something. i beg of you–

————————————————–WALUIGI FOR PRESIDENT CLUB 2024———————————————
https://scratch.mit.edu/studios/29514208
—————————————————JOIN NOW TO GET THIS BEAUTIFUL PURPLE MAN IN OFFICE———————————————————
IF YOU JOIN US YOU WILL RECIEVE:
-Money*
-Waluigi The Movie*
-Waluigi Merch*
-The Satisfaction of electing a fictional video game character into office
-Mercy when Waluigi conquers the Universe
*Not Guaranteed
JOIN TODAY! DON'T WAIT, DON'T DELAY! GO TO https://scratch.mit.edu/studios/29514208 AND POST AS MUCH WALUIGI-RELATED** PROJECTS THERE AS YOU CAN! LET THIS MOVEMENT GAIN TRACTION!! PUT THIS IN YOUR SIGNATURE SOMEWHERE, TOO!
**non-waluigi projects will also be begrudgingly accepted
————————————————–WALUIGI FOR PRESIDENT CLUB 2024———————————————
https://scratch.mit.edu/studios/29514208
—————————————————JOIN NOW TO GET THIS BEAUTIFUL PURPLE MAN IN OFFICE———————————————————
Exppalt
Scratcher
38 posts

Lean_theGamer wrote:

wxterfaII wrote:

purpledog65 wrote:

This stupid update made many of my friends quit. we used the studios to chat with each other. but now, it looks stupid, managers cant edit anything, so theres not point of being a manager. honestly. i thought scratch was fun. Now i know that they suck.
i saw some people get banned for weeks just for posting their own opinion.

so guys we did it we reached a quarter of a million studio update complaints, 250,000 complaints and still growing the fact that we reached this number in such a short amount of time is just phenomenal i-im just amazed, thank you all so much,
Scratcher
75 posts

Exppalt wrote:

Lean_theGamer wrote:

wxterfaII wrote:

purpledog65 wrote:

i saw some people get banned for weeks just for posting their own opinion.
I’ve seen a lot of peoples opinions be deleted when they were respectful about them

*eats sunglasses*)[