Discuss Scratch

Xelophelt
Scratcher
500+ posts

Editing comments

Sometimes, when I misspell something in my forum posts, I can just edit the forum post and I can fix my errors. But when I have to correct a grammar or misspelling on a comment, I have to waste comment space and type more unnecessary comments to fix my accidental typing errors.

Do you think it would be nice to edit a comment? Is it possible? Will it work out?

PROS:
Less server space taken up my misspelled comments such as “Oops, sorry: Thanks instead of tanks”
Less annoying mistakes
More comments that are correct in grammar and spelling.
Less to worry about!

Last edited by Xelophelt (Sept. 16, 2014 21:56:22)

TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Editing comments

Indifferent. Sure this will cut down on misspelled comments, but what about this:

ORIGINAL POST: You stink! I want to kill you! You are the worst in the world!

EDITED POST: You rock! I want to be your friend! You're the best in the world!

Xelophelt
Scratcher
500+ posts

Editing comments

TheHockeyist wrote:

Indifferent. Sure this will cut down on misspelled comments, but what about this:

Hmm. I haven't thought about that. This will cause Scratchers who are bad to retain their accessibility to Scratch, therefore they will continue posting hate comments. O.K! Thanks for the insight!

THIS HAS BEEN RESOLVED, AND WILL NOW BE CLOSED.

EDIT: It won't be closed *yet*.

Last edited by Xelophelt (Sept. 16, 2014 23:13:38)

DemCupcakesYo
Scratcher
100+ posts

Editing comments

Xelophelt wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

Hmm. I haven't thought about that. This will cause Scratchers who are bad to retain their accessibility to Scratch, therefore they will continue posting hate comments. O.K! Thanks for the insight!

How about an option to show original post?

-DemCupcakesYo

If you support, it should be +1. If you don't, it should be +0, not -1. If you half-support, it should be +1/2 or +0.5, not +0. You can't subtract from the supporters.

My browser / operating system: Windows 7, Chrome 36.0.1985.125, Flash 14.0 (release 0)

ScratchJahd2011
Scratcher
500+ posts

Editing comments

DemCupcakesYo wrote:

Xelophelt wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

*applauds*

Give this Scratcher a medal!

Seriously, that is a great idea. We should try and implement it into the forum editing posts as well!

…..
Xelophelt
Scratcher
500+ posts

Editing comments

DemCupcakesYo wrote:

Xelophelt wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

Huh.. Maybe that could bypass the point @TheHockeyist made, but how are you to tell the difference between *This is @TheHockeyist's example* how to tell if the comment was directed for hate?
Maybe I won't close this now…. at least until there is no more people keeping it alive other than me.

Last edited by Xelophelt (Sept. 16, 2014 23:12:14)

TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Editing comments

Xelophelt wrote:

DemCupcakesYo wrote:

Xelophelt wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

Huh.. Maybe that could bypass the point @TheHockeyist made, but how are you to tell the difference between *This is @TheHockeyist's example*
How to tell if the comment was directed for hate?
I'm sure the wording should suffice.

DemCupcakesYo
Scratcher
100+ posts

Editing comments

Xelophelt wrote:

-snip-
Huh.. Maybe that could bypass the point @TheHockeyist made, but how are you to tell the difference between *This is @TheHockeyist's example* how to tell if the comment was directed for hate?
Maybe I won't close this now…. at least until there is no more people keeping it alive other than me.

I don't get what you are asking.

-DemCupcakesYo

If you support, it should be +1. If you don't, it should be +0, not -1. If you half-support, it should be +1/2 or +0.5, not +0. You can't subtract from the supporters.

My browser / operating system: Windows 7, Chrome 36.0.1985.125, Flash 14.0 (release 0)

Xelophelt
Scratcher
500+ posts

Editing comments

DemCupcakesYo wrote:

Xelophelt wrote:

-snip-

What I am saying, is that for instance:

ORIGINAL POST: You suck!

EDITED POST: You rock!

How can you tell if it the comment in general was a hate comment?

Last edited by Xelophelt (Sept. 16, 2014 23:16:12)

DemCupcakesYo
Scratcher
100+ posts

Editing comments

Xelophelt wrote:

DemCupcakesYo wrote:

Xelophelt wrote:

-snip-

Good point.

-DemCupcakesYo

ScratchJahd2011
Scratcher
500+ posts

Editing comments

Xelophelt wrote:

DemCupcakesYo wrote:

Xelophelt wrote:

-snip-

Option to see original post/comment. (might take a lot of server data. D

Then you can see if the comment was a troll hate comment or see what were the spelling mistakes.

…..
Xelophelt
Scratcher
500+ posts

Editing comments

ScratchJahd2011 wrote:

Xelophelt wrote:

DemCupcakesYo wrote:

Xelophelt wrote:

-snip-

Then you can see if the comment was a troll hate comment or see what were the spelling mistakes.

But how could you tell, is the question. Maybe the bad comment will be replaced by the good comment, and this will result in a decision to either thank the person who said that, or to report them. That away, a new type of trolling can be bored, and this will ultimately result in an issue with Scratch Team.

Last edited by Xelophelt (Sept. 17, 2014 00:43:00)

ScratchJahd2011
Scratcher
500+ posts

Editing comments

Xelophelt wrote:

ScratchJahd2011 wrote:

Xelophelt wrote:

DemCupcakesYo wrote:

Xelophelt wrote:

-snip-

But how could you tell, is the question. Maybe the bad comment will be replaced by the good comment, and this will result in a decision to either thank the person who said that, or to report them. That away, a new type of trolling can be bored, and this will ultimately result in an issue with Scratch Team.

Hmm, you have a point there.

Maybe we should report it still as the original post offends you?

…..
Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Editing comments

The ability to edit comments, while a nice convenience, would be a real problem for our moderators, as shown in the example that TheHockeyist constructed. In order to moderate an edited comment, you would have to be able to access it's entire edit history - and also how all the replies / surrounding comments looked at any time (to see the remarks in context). I'm afraid it's just too complicated - sorry.

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;
Xelophelt
Scratcher
500+ posts

Editing comments

Paddle2See wrote:

The ability to edit comments, while a nice convenience, would be a real problem for our moderators, as shown in the example that TheHockeyist constructed. In order to moderate an edited comment, you would have to be able to access it's entire edit history - and also how all the replies / surrounding comments looked at any time (to see the remarks in context). I'm afraid it's just too complicated - sorry.

Well, since @TheHockeyist and @Paddle2See cover the 2 cons of this suggestion, and since I can't think up of any other pros to this suggestion, (plus, the good/bad comment situation, even in example, is really confusing to decide a verdict on) I will officially close the topic. Thanks to @TheHockeyist and @Paddle2See for providing constructive feedback to my suggestion, and I will see you guys later!

NOW THIS TOPIC WILL BE CLOSED.PLEASE DO NOT POST ON THIS FOR 24 HOURS!

Last edited by Xelophelt (Sept. 17, 2014 01:54:24)