Discuss Scratch

mres
Scratcher
14 posts

Option to remove screen borders- IMPORTANT

We had a meeting of the Scratch Programming Editor team yesterday, and we discussed this issue.

Here's one idea we discussed: Instead of adding a special mode for each sprite (allowing it to leave the stage), what if we allowed programmers to choose from three different modes for the Scratch “stage”:
* finite (as it is now)
* infinite (sprites can move outside the boundaries)
* wrapping (so that sprites moving off one side reappear at the other side)

So if you wanted sprites to move off the stage entirely, you could set the stage to “infinite”.

If we added this capability, do you think it would address the issues raised in this discussion thread?

(Note: We are just brainstorming at this point, and would love to get feedback. If we decide to go with this idea, there would still be a lot of design and development work to do.)
TheLogFather
Scratcher
1000+ posts

mres wrote:

* finite (as it is now)

Wow, interesting!

I'm not clear how the last one would work in terms of ‘immediate’ placement with x,y values…? Do you mean it would place within bounds using “mod”? So “go to 10000 10000” would end up at something like (10000+240) mod 480 - 240, (10000+180) mod 360 - 180 ? (I guess it would also need to take into account actual costume bitmap centre & extents, etc.)

I'm sure there will be many who enjoy the usefulness of having a sprite wrap like this as it's moving, but I'm a bit wary of the confusion that could arise when directly using ‘go to’ with large values like above, if that's what you mean…

(What would be really great in ‘wrap mode’ would be if a costume that's part off one edge showed the missing part of its costume on the opposite edge - so the costume is ‘split’ between edges. That would save a fair bit of work for Scratchers creating wraparound games. )

Last edited by TheLogFather (Dec. 3, 2014 11:05:17)

Siggy the Kumquat slayer:
Main account: DadOfMrLog –– Frameworks for basic pen-rendered 3D in scratch (see studio). Examples:

- - - - 3D Text - - - - - - Simple shapes - - - Controllable structures - - - On the ground - - - - - - In space - - - -

procd
Scratcher
100+ posts

mres wrote:

We had a meeting of the Scratch Programming Editor team yesterday, and we discussed this issue.

Here's one idea we discussed: Instead of adding a special mode for each sprite (allowing it to leave the stage), what if we allowed programmers to choose from three different modes for the Scratch “stage”:
* finite (as it is now)

So if you wanted sprites to move off the stage entirely, you could set the stage to “infinite”.

If we added this capability, do you think it would address the issues raised in this discussion thread?

(Note: We are just brainstorming at this point, and would love to get feedback. If we decide to go with this idea, there would still be a lot of design and development work to do.)
Certainly a step in the right direction. Having written a compiler that allows the sprites to go off stage then the only “issue” I had was how to treat the
<touching [edge v] ?>
In the end I decided that the edge constituted a pixel wide frame around the stage and so only a sprite touching that edge would return true for that test but consequently a sprite way off stage would return false.

Last edited by procd (Dec. 3, 2014 12:01:06)

ShamelessSnores
Scratcher
100+ posts

Not sure if this was said before, but I support, IF, there is a confirmation that sais “You are now allowing sprites to go off the sprites. Would you like to continue?” And then have two buttons, one sais allow, one said cancel

The kumquat came, but it did not snore. Kumquats do not snore! So, it wasn't able to eat my signature.
Thepuzzlegame
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support!

mres wrote:

I definitely think this would be a welcome addition and would solve all of the above problems. I think you should try releasing an update with these features enabled and if you start to see an influx in Scratchers who report losing sprites offscreen you can revert things back.

hi!
LoudHeadphones
Scratcher
100+ posts

Support.

This has been LHP. The dude that makes chiptune music ranging from “Meh” to “Nice” and then puts it in a studio
Do you want somebody to tell you what they think goes into good platformers? No? Well then don't view this project
jrezneckbhds
Scratcher
500+ posts

mres wrote:

* finite (as it is now)

Interesting… my favorite one is probably

mres wrote:

*wrapping (so that sprites moving off one side reappear on the other side.
Failord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

mres wrote:

Instead of adding a special mode for each sprite (allowing it to leave the stage), what if we allowed programmers to choose from three different modes for the Scratch “stage”:
* finite (as it is now)

I really like these ideas, and wrapping is an interesting one.

To answer your question, yes, I do think it would address these issues. I still think we should add the “recover sprite” option I mentioned above, as well as:

ShamelessSnores wrote:

Not sure if this was said before, but I support, IF, there is a confirmation that sais “You are now allowing sprites to go off the sprites. Would you like to continue?” And then have two buttons, one sais allow, one said cancel

I think I need to rephrase that quote, though. There is a notification widow for New Scratchers creating Cloud data, and I think the same type of thing could apply here.

Thanks so much for responding!

Thanks for the ride, Scratch Team and community! Unfortunately, the time has come for me to move on from Scratch, so I'll no longer be using the forums. Thanks again, and farewell!
Invisible text! This will show you if a profile I claim to be mine IS mine. Just remember to visit the profile and see if I confirmed in the comments.
For old time's sake, see the revolutionary Laser Battle 2.0! Also see Unstoppable Game!

And no, the evil kumquats didn't alter my signature…
Prinseskat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

mres wrote:

* finite (as it is now)

Yes, that sounds cool! I don't know if the wrapping feature's necessary, because it could easily be done anyway, but it won't hurt to add it. I really hope this happens!

haha funny kumquat meme
Mr-Glbstplwhttlgh
Scratcher
19 posts

Support.

FIND THE LINKAJXD Haavve ffuunn…

qS6MZ0EsoTi2YntsSsmscQDy27lzPVbkhDcftiWOgO1rZ3AmMxrU4tm8lLj3K9ZSFXYScW6qETDt8yTaRt2gQw7tY2Ei
BPiSutMX2CAHARldywapPvAa9ro83cI3l9oqzoyQ19phAXz9QgIm25pInXbreTE0vqRuRgfkBelkOj3IGExSM45VP3SrG
U9t9HnWhyOp5CLCnJ7bQbMDvVHvwXrFz6SitsMMFnX8IpfggrhCiObExQkC5RQhnZt3RTTJVQOtCbyNKe8wXAUyjbc
KE0KQFn52pfscMc5wXgVLVkvkV1XtCDXNlJXPYS8MVxgEOXbYubjqcpQtJLWyjW3ud34c3dMMQm6tZTxkpFUH6Aa
dIOf06x4XdIeK3OsL2XPlSD0oCvipwbFO1tv84fqdUfKLCZv3M148UKtZTBgVvKL0xbTnx7qFsQyTSZfXOEmvEJ2PsI0
DCMnDZbgzd5BGMIiLur9XV19A0Dzr8zuCdPEiUZsERhXHNwCcWO6wBJaOEyygFr1lONdpDA0BnzGnzFNsBzQF6e
WI5DNMIwiz03q6TIHP4TkhrLiC5xu4KG10wvEnq5knI8gnvPIvUswgq3XSvPx5eohEByRNtiJbgDbsmy9XRpomi47VS1U
Gosh this took a long time. Do you know HOW MUCH BBCODE THERE IS???

LBMCompany
Scratcher
37 posts

Hi,

The stage settings would solve the issue in most cases, however you wouldn't be able to set this per sprite, i.e. one sprite can go off stage, and another cannot.

Anyway, I support any idea that allow us to to put sprites off screen! :-)

Thanks,
– LBMCompany
stickfiregames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

mres wrote:

* finite (as it is now)

Support for this, although as LBMCompany said it might be better to have it for each sprite separately.

There could also be a block:
set wrap style [infinite v] :: motion

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!

or you just used Inspect Element, you hacker

;
Failord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

stickfiregames wrote:

Support for this, although as LBMCompany said it might be better to have it for each sprite separately.

There could also be a block:
set wrap style [infinite v] :: motion

Agreed. Although I think the block should be
set border interaction [infinite v] :: motion

…or something like that.

Thanks for the ride, Scratch Team and community! Unfortunately, the time has come for me to move on from Scratch, so I'll no longer be using the forums. Thanks again, and farewell!
Invisible text! This will show you if a profile I claim to be mine IS mine. Just remember to visit the profile and see if I confirmed in the comments.
For old time's sake, see the revolutionary Laser Battle 2.0! Also see Unstoppable Game!

And no, the evil kumquats didn't alter my signature…
TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I do support all modes. I did not even think I would need wrap… and then I thought of a situation where I might want to use it.

AndersBillLinden
Scratcher
17 posts

The wrapping feature seems complicated. Finite and infinite seems best, having finite stage as default!
AndersBillLinden
Scratcher
17 posts

But maybe a wrapping mode will be a good thing…
griffpatch
Scratcher
100+ posts

I think the idea is great. When you said about the infinite stage it reminded me of the purposes idea that originally was mentioned back in the scratch 2 beta that you were going to have some kind of scrolling stage offset feature…? That would okay well with the infinite stage
TheLogFather
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I was kinda curious about the ‘wrapping’ idea… I realised I was actually not sure what was meant!

Some possibilities that come to mind…

1. When a part of a sprite gets, for example, to the right edge of the screen, it carries on going partly off-screen, until it reaches beyond x=240, at which point it ‘flips’ to the other side (i.e. subtracts 480 from its x-position).

2. When a sprite reaches the far right of the screen, it only starts to partly reappear on the left side once it has completely disappeared off the right side (i.e. similar to above, except that it also takes costume width/height into account).

3. When a sprite starts to go off one edge of the screen, it also becomes visible on the opposite edge, simultaneously (this means it's possible to have the sprite split into four if it goes off a corner). Here's a wraparound demo project I made that shows what I mean.

Any thoughts? I'm curious which people would prefer…?

Last edited by TheLogFather (Feb. 4, 2015 00:39:15)

Siggy the Kumquat slayer:
Main account: DadOfMrLog –– Frameworks for basic pen-rendered 3D in scratch (see studio). Examples:

- - - - 3D Text - - - - - - Simple shapes - - - Controllable structures - - - On the ground - - - - - - In space - - - -

AndersBillLinden
Scratcher
17 posts

I got an idea, why not update the file format to sb3 where there is an added property in the “info” section of the json file: scratchVersion.
Then we do not have to create new file formats because we can always increase that number.

If a file is of a certain version or newer, the stage is without limits. No option to make it limited is needed. At least not because we want backwards compatibility. We are free to choose then.