Discuss Scratch

AXEstudios
Scratcher
100+ posts

3.0 taking over

This has been a big mystery ever since it began, and I am here to find an answer:
Why is scratch 2.0 no longer supported?

RatatouillePlayz wrote:

he should be grateful to be called a rat
Interesting… How did you come up with this philosophy?
Austinato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

3.0 taking over

While the online editor uses Scratch 3.0 now, 2.0 is still supported. I'm pretty sure if anyone has 2.0 projects sitting around that they want to bring onto the site, they should be able to do so (it's reverse compatible.)

With Flash (what 2.0 ran on) going obsolete at the end of December 2020, it was in the ST's best interest to bring the Scratch editor onto HTML, which is what 3.0 does. There also aren't too many differences between the 2.0 and 3.0 editors, so you're not missing out on much.

semi-serious
2.0 is still in the Scratch Team's heart. You can still download the offline 2.0 (or 1.4) editor and mess around with it here.

Last edited by Austinato (May 10, 2021 20:04:52)

7500+ posts (17th)
D-ScratchNinja
Scratcher
1000+ posts

3.0 taking over

Because it ran on Adobe Flash, which is no longer supported by modern browsers, plus Flash was discontinued in 2021.

Now, Scratch 3 uses HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.

The following is my signature, which automatically appears below each of my posts.

Like to record yourself and watch others playing? Try Replay Multiplayer!

I have a game jam! Wanna see what the theme is?

By the way, I have shared a poll! You can vote on studio features here.

Also, you can highlight this and press Shift + Down for more stuff.

Learn more about why it might take a while to update Scratch.

Here's my studio page design, if you would like to check it out.

Also, I have my thoughts on the studio update here.
D-ScratchNinja
Scratcher
1000+ posts

3.0 taking over

Austinato wrote:

2.0 is still in the Scratch Team's heart. You can still download the offline 2.0 (or 1.4) editor and mess around with it here.
I don't know if Scratch 2 can really be used on new computers because Adobe AIR was also discontinued, I'm guessing for the same reason.

The following is my signature, which automatically appears below each of my posts.

Like to record yourself and watch others playing? Try Replay Multiplayer!

I have a game jam! Wanna see what the theme is?

By the way, I have shared a poll! You can vote on studio features here.

Also, you can highlight this and press Shift + Down for more stuff.

Learn more about why it might take a while to update Scratch.

Here's my studio page design, if you would like to check it out.

Also, I have my thoughts on the studio update here.
AXEstudios
Scratcher
100+ posts

3.0 taking over

Austinato wrote:

While the online editor uses Scratch 3.0 now, 2.0 is still supported. I'm pretty sure if anyone has 2.0 projects sitting around that they want to bring onto the site, they should be able to do so (it's reverse compatible.)

With Flash (what 2.0 ran on) going obsolete at the end of December 2020, it was in the ST's best interest to bring the Scratch editor onto HTML, which is what 3.0 does. There also aren't too many differences between the 2.0 and 3.0 editors, so you're not missing out on much.

semi-serious
Thank you, that was very helpful!

RatatouillePlayz wrote:

AXEstudios
Scratcher
100+ posts

3.0 taking over

Emojis can be the worst.

RatatouillePlayz wrote:

Austinato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

3.0 taking over

D-ScratchNinja wrote:

Austinato wrote:

I don't know if Scratch 2 can really be used on new computers because Adobe AIR was also discontinued, I'm guessing for the same reason.
Oops, good point. I believe you can download something to have Adobe AIR run. Here's a link to it in case anyone needs it.

7500+ posts (17th)
Maximouse
Scratcher
1000+ posts

3.0 taking over

You can download Adobe AIR here.

Be that square *! This is Maximouse's signature. Learn more about signatures.

Pull request successfully merged and closed
You're all set — the mxmou:patch-1 branch can be safely deleted.
If you wish, you can also delete this fork of mxmou/signature in the settings.
AXEstudios
Scratcher
100+ posts

3.0 taking over

Austinato wrote:

D-ScratchNinja wrote:

Austinato wrote:

Oops, good point. I believe you can download something to have Adobe AIR run. Here's a link to it in case anyone needs it.
You trickster.

RatatouillePlayz wrote:

Austinato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

3.0 taking over

AXEstudios wrote:

Austinato wrote:

D-ScratchNinja wrote:

Austinato wrote:

You trickster.
What? Something happened with Adobe AIR's support so they passed on support for it to another organization, which Maximouse linked. The article I linked explains that.

7500+ posts (17th)
Scratch137
Scratcher
100+ posts

3.0 taking over

Austinato wrote:

AXEstudios wrote:

Austinato wrote:

You trickster.
What? Something happened with Adobe AIR's support so they passed on support for it to another organization, which Maximouse linked. The article I linked explains that.
You linked to an article explaining what happened with Adobe AIR, but your post reads like you're linking to the program itself, which is a bit misleading.

Last edited by Scratch137 (May 16, 2021 00:04:04)

Warning: scattered thoughts inbound. Proceed at your own risk.

Za-Chary wrote:

No kissy kiss
No stabby stab

Them's the rulez..

And it was then that a single pixelated tear was shed by the cubeupload example image, and all of a sudden he discovered that he was no longer just an example image, soon to be deleted, but a real living boy!
__you have found my super duper ultra secret text and now you get a cookie__—cubeupload example image

;
AXEstudios
Scratcher
100+ posts

3.0 taking over

Well, this is unusual(bc i'm not the scratch team), but I decided that I figured it out, and we don't need to worry about this any more. So… closing topic!

RatatouillePlayz wrote: