Discuss Scratch

eastons
Scratcher
25 posts

Collapse Custom Define Blocks and other "hat" blocks

It would be helpful to collapse hat blocks in order to clear some clutter.

Thanks.
seaston
OrcaCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support. This would be really helpful, especially for overly complex custom blocks.

scimonster
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I thing this is a good idea, but it would definitely need to be thought through. It has been brought up before, and one of the biggest concerns has been that if a script was collapsed, newbies wouldn't know where to find it. So, with that in mind, here are my ideas:
  • An uncollapse all button, prominently features in the editor.
  • Collapsed scripts are purely for the creator to organize the scripts - when another user looks inside, they are all uncollapsed.
  • However, going on the above, someone can recollapse the way the project creator did.
That sounds fair, doesn't it?

Retired Community Moderator
BTW, i run Google Chrome 41.0.2272.101 on a Linux system - Ubuntu 14.04. NEW: iPad 4th gen. w/retina.

418 I'm a teapot (original - to be read by bored computer geeks)
THE GAME (you just lost)
; THE SEMICOLON LIVES ON IN OUR SIGS
SuperJedi224
Scratcher
100+ posts

Support

Internetometer top 1000 as of 2014.04.10
Hyperbola
Scratcher
99 posts

scimonster wrote:

I thing this is a good idea, but it would definitely need to be thought through. It has been brought up before, and one of the biggest concerns has been that if a script was collapsed, newbies wouldn't know where to find it. So, with that in mind, here are my ideas:
  • An uncollapse all button, prominently features in the editor.
  • Collapsed scripts are purely for the creator to organize the scripts - when another user looks inside, they are all uncollapsed.
  • However, going on the above, someone can recollapse the way the project creator did.
That sounds fair, doesn't it?
Maybe keep them collapsed when the user looks inside, but have a prominent option to uncollapse (IE spell checker thinks that's not a word?) a script (on the definition hat), and an option to uncollapse all.

Well
We're at 2.0
I'm not sure this is a good thing
But I guess we'll have to stay here
eastons
Scratcher
25 posts

I agree there needs to be a simple way for novice(which I guess I am ) to uncollapse all. I was envisioning a very large plus or minus button somewhere on the hat itself.

thanks,
eastons

edit: Fixed a smiley fiasco and a link http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/10154478/ to my first project made with my 7 year old son.

Last edited by eastons (May 13, 2013 00:00:36)

jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

This would save me a lot of clutter in my projects. I support.

Professional web developer and lead engineer on the Scratch Wiki
Maybe the Scratch Team isn't so badWhy the April Fools' Day forum didn't work last year
dusty22
Scratcher
100+ posts

+1 I definately agree.

Like the Megaman X series? Want to make Megaman games in Scratch? Check out my studio here, The Megaman X Scratch Engine.
Scratch12300
Scratcher
500+ posts

What exactly would that mean?

k7e
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I don't think the hat blocks (in Scratch 2.0 OR 3.0) cause much clutter at all, I don't get how this would be implemented

Last edited by k7e (March 27, 2023 21:22:56)

@mythoslore was so much more obvious than @spookily
medians
Scratcher
1000+ posts

k7e wrote:

I don't the hat blocks (in Scratch 2.0 OR 3.0) cause much clutter at all, I don't get how this would be implemented
Wow, you've found a topic that is only 3 days younger than 2.0 itself!
Also you have 667 - 1 posts

Anyway, I believe they might have meant as in the code.
So instead of this:

You could collapse it.

Medians bamboozled by 3.0 (version 3.0): https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/979822351/
hi875230163394: You're similar to valve in that you both hate a certain number…
Scratch 0.x, 1.x, 2.x, 3.x and LogoBlocks Archives
Bamboozlement: https://scratch.mit.edu/studios/33739789
Years on internet: 15 (soon 16)
medians: Oh god not this utc - 12 thing again..
Fun_Cupcake_i81: What, were you expecting not to see the utc - 12 thing again? THE UTC - 12 THIGN ALWAYS RETURNS. ALWAYS.
medians: I knew it would happen. I was the one who started it last year.
Fun_Cupcake_i81: Well then if you didn't want it back maybe you need to time travel to last year and fix that

Oh wait if you could time travel I think we all know exactly when you would go-
user1: That picture is from 2.0. Now he’s at my house and is my pet.
user2: But this is medians we're talking about, so “from 2.0” can mean the same thing as “from five seconds ago”.

Detect Scratch version here
My other accounts: @selfexplanatory @modesties @chaircard @fireflyhero @dividendyield @colloids @radians @skeuamorphism @dihectogon @anglebisector @aau- @EditBlockColors @AdamantOrb @MoongeistBeam @festively @Ampharos_ @straightforwardness
i trolled redcat LOL

if you see this
{what method did you use::control hat
answer on profile ::motion
} ::operators
;
k7e
Scratcher
1000+ posts

medians wrote:

k7e wrote:

I don't the hat blocks (in Scratch 2.0 OR 3.0) cause much clutter at all, I don't get how this would be implemented
Wow, you've found a topic that is only 3 days younger than 2.0 itself!
Also you have 667 - 1 posts

Anyway, I believe they might have meant as in the code.
So instead of this:

You could collapse it.
not anymore
Then I think this would be very helpful if the entire script would be hidden. I thought it would just shrink the size of the hat block but keep the rest of the script.

k7e
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bump

bentshaggyoil
Scratcher
100+ posts

Support, would save a lot of space and prevent lag (because more svgs cause lag on some devices)

Don’t comment ladder on my profile.

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/711602448/

k7e
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bump

TerryLeeStudio
Scratcher
100+ posts

Maybe the ability to collapsed basically anything. But there should be a uncollapse all button

Check out my project
SATS
NextDOS
-OdysseyCentral-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I feel like this is a duplicate, but I can’t find the original post.
But, support. It would be useful for projects with lots of code.

The Honey Shop is back! Check us out on the Requests forum!

=== ♪ ♬ ♫ ᴺᴼᵂ ᴾᴸᴬᵞᴵᴺᴳ : Champion’s Road, from Odyssey’s Ultimate Playlist ♩ ♭ ♫ ===
=== 1:37 ───ㅇ───── 4.01 ↻ Previous Song: Battle on The Great Tower◁ II ▷Next song: Ground (SMW) ↺. ♬ ♪ ♩===
medians
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-OdysseyCentral- wrote:

I feel like this is a duplicate, but I can’t find the original post.
But, support. It would be useful for projects with lots of code.
Well, it would be hard to find anything before then anyway because this topic is from the month and year that 2.0 released (May 11, 2013 vs May 9, 2013).

TerryLeeStudio wrote:

Maybe the ability to collapsed basically anything. But there should be a uncollapse all button
Well, do you mean like C blocks and reporters/booleans and stuff?

Last edited by medians (March 18, 2023 16:17:51)

Medians bamboozled by 3.0 (version 3.0): https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/979822351/
Fun_Cupcake_i81: What, were you expecting not to see the utc - 12 thing again? THE UTC - 12 THIGN ALWAYS RETURNS. ALWAYS.
Fun_Cupcake_i81: Well then if you didn't want it back maybe you need to time travel to last year and fix that

user2: But this is medians we're talking about, so “from 2.0” can mean the same thing as “from five seconds ago”.

My other accounts: @selfexplanatory @modesties @chaircard @fireflyhero @dividendyield @colloids @radians @skeuamorphism @dihectogon @anglebisector @aau- @EditBlockColors @AdamantOrb @MoongeistBeam @festively @Ampharos_ @straightforwardness
i trolled redcat LOL

if you see this
;
Elijah999999
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hmmm, this could be helpful, but as scimonster said, it could make it easier for new scratchers* to lose their blocks.

*Okay, I would probably lose a lot of my stuff that way too, but it was to embarrassing to admit, so I said new scratchers. I regret blaming them. They did nothing to me! Why am I being so mean to new scratchers all of a sudden??? They never did anything mean to me! I never did anything mean to them! I'm such a coward, blaming innocent people for losing their scripts for my own sake. *cries*

Pretty much only use the forums for save codes now.

Here is my Mario Maker (fan game) world code:
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/743192/?page=57#post-8009005
medians
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Elijah999999 wrote:

Hmmm, this could be helpful, but as scimonster said, it could make it easier for new scratchers* to lose their blocks.

*Okay, I would probably lose a lot of my stuff that way too, but it was to embarrassing to admit, so I said new scratchers. I regret blaming them. They did nothing to me! Why am I being so mean to new scratchers all of a sudden??? They never did anything mean to me! I never did anything mean to them! I'm such a coward, blaming innocent people for losing their scripts for my own sake. *cries*
Uh, what?
Also, wow, if you see that username, you know you're on an old topic.
I'm not sure what this would look like though, and maybe there could be something you have to press along with right clicking for the option to show up? (like with the old Hidden Features)

i trolled redcat LOL

if you see this
;