Discuss Scratch

Houchdj
Scratcher
39 posts

Thoughts on Game Builder Garage

Nintendo just announced a new game for the switch, Game Builder Garage, what are your guys' thoughts on the game?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEaIpmw2IqY&t=2s
AwezomeXD
Scratcher
100+ posts

I have mixed feelings with the game

I see alot of people comparing the game to WarioWare D.I.Y (which is an amazing game btw), but to me I see it more as a watered-down Dreams (Dreams is also an amazing game). I was worried about the simplicity of it at first, but considering the game only costs 30 US dollars (as I thought it would be 60) it seems pretty alright.
My main complaint with it would be the fact that there's no online sharing (that we know of). Sure there's local sharing, but I don't have any irl friends with a Switch. With no online sharing, I can see the game dying extremely fast.
(Edit: apparently there will be online sharing, but the only way to play shared games is if you know the code for them. I'd much rather them add a “game browsing” feature instead of being excessively strict, but it is what it is.)

It's the closest we'll ever get to a Dreams port on the Switch, so I'll probably get it.

Last edited by AwezomeXD (May 6, 2021 16:26:56)

Hooplah
dinoqueen
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Looks pretty neat, but I prefer Pygame, even if I'm completely clueless when using it.

Unprofessional shipper of Bounty Hunt and Scrambled Eggs
EOOEOKWOJDO
Scratcher
500+ posts

I'm hyped. Can't wait to make “Mario Evades The IRS: The Video Game”.

hello, boy

Davidstudio
Scratcher
100+ posts

It feels like for every step Nintendo takes they take three steps back.

It's basically Dreams for the Switch, but there's no online sharing, which is such a monumentally terrible move in my opinion. It kills a sense of community and also seems lazy considering they literally have a game out right now with its own online content browser (that being SMM2.)

dinoqueen wrote:

Looks pretty neat, but I prefer Pygame, even if I'm completely clueless when using it.

I've actually been making an effort to learn Unity over the summer, but even with GMG's very weird approach to content sharing it seems kind of charming. Like a thing I'd do in bed for a few hours before going to sleep.

TheNintendoFan2020
Scratcher
1000+ posts

duplicate https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/511844/
(wait never mind i just realized this topic was before mine.)

Last edited by TheNintendoFan2020 (May 31, 2021 05:38:13)

(Wow, i had this banner on my signature for 2 years now. . .)
XCartooonX
Scratcher
500+ posts

Well, I guess I'll bump this since it came out recently.

Want to view the rest of my signature? Highlight this text and press Shift+Down!

Support the suggestion HERE by adding this button to your signature

Name: Meep
Adopt one yourself! @ Pokémon Orphanage
“Angel Gabby? Angel Gabby!” ~ Francis, the best boye

Hello! My name is XCartooonX, but please call me Low-Key. I'm super into Pokemon, My Singing Monsters, and more. Feel free to follow me!

Dolphins989
Scratcher
1000+ posts

its fun and i enjoyed it, one bad thing about it is the lack of models but eh

<—- play my game please
warriorcats2155
Scratcher
500+ posts

I'm thinking about getting it so I can make my own games on the switch and play fun fan-made games, the games I saw seem pretty fun, too!

I program on my phone ( I use the scratch ), and on my Laptop too. And they work just fine when making a game.

All-in-all, I really look forward to this game.

Parent user: kkidslogin, Generation 16: the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your sig in the scratch forums, increase generation by 1, and change the parent user to who you’re reading this from. Social experiment.
DC382
Scratcher
1000+ posts

it's only a matter of time before something crazy like mother 3 is made in it.

RIP Permaspike: 14/7/2018 - 4/4/2023

How did you learn JS? *compares it to having to do a 10 kilometer dash with burning legos*
How did you learn HTML? *compares to pick-a-door levels in SMM2*
How did you learn CSS? Mozilla and Stack Overflow our lords and saviors.
How did you learn JSON? Plants Versus Zombies 2. Not even kidding.

I study game design in my free time, and things I noticed about the cream of the crop indies:
- Consistent God-Tier Music (Cuphead, Undertale, PVZ, Pizza Tower, Super Meat Boy (Danny B. Soundtrack))
- Unique Visuals (Cuphead's entire existence, PVZ1, Pizza Tower, Super Meat Boy, Untitled Goose Game, Hollow Knight)
- Excellent Gameplay (Cuphead, PVZ, Pizza Tower, Meat Boy, A Hat In Time, Spelunky, BTD, Hollow Knight)
- Modding Support (Pizza Tower, A Hat In Time, Terraria (Calamity music is Awesome))
- Replayability (BTD, Pizza Tower, Terraria, Super Meat Boy)
- Challenge (SUPER MEAT BOY, Hollow Knight)
(I haven't played Stardew Valley, so I cant state my view, and my ' key almost doesnt work.)
LionManStudios
Scratcher
500+ posts

doesn’t really look that fun to me, I would prefer learning how to use unity.

Hello there

why did you come here, well I guess I should reward you with something… Oh! I know! this unlisted yt video of a project I'm making
TheNintendoFan2020
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I recently made Talking Tom Cat in game builder garage.

(Wow, i had this banner on my signature for 2 years now. . .)
AwezomeXD
Scratcher
100+ posts

Just got the game, I wanna finish all the tutorials first so I know how to use each tool, and then I’m gonna start making my own games. A FNAF recreation, maybe?

Hooplah
-ShinyRock-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bump?

I made a game, the id is G 000 9F8 525 if you want to play it-
(L stick to move, R stick to move the camera, A or B to jump, collect 6 treasure chests to win)

i'm @shiny– now :v
LionManStudios
Scratcher
500+ posts

Davidstudio wrote:

It feels like for every step Nintendo takes they take three steps back.

It's basically Dreams for the Switch, but there's no online sharing, which is such a monumentally terrible move in my opinion. It kills a sense of community and also seems lazy considering they literally have a game out right now with its own online content browser (that being SMM2.)
I think nintendo doesn’t want to moderate the games, with these tools it’s easier to make something inappropriate and nintendo doesn’t want that to screw up the rating

Hello there

why did you come here, well I guess I should reward you with something… Oh! I know! this unlisted yt video of a project I'm making
StarDude3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Totally not here angry because my topic that's been running for almost a year got closed NOW…

Anyway, this looks like a good…game game. There seems to be very little limits in what you can make.

And now, some wise words…

“Is Mayonnaise an instrument?”

-Patrick Star
AwezomeXD
Scratcher
100+ posts

Wow, this game died extremely quickly, although I'm really not all too surprised either. The fact that online sharing is so difficult is probably why it died so fast, but I kinda understand that Nintendo did this because it would be easier to moderate games.

Hooplah