Discuss Scratch

7salad3salad
Scratcher
100+ posts

Censor certain words/phrases to yourself

wangat wrote:

And what happens if Scratchers censor every single word?
Why would anyone ever do that? And if they do, that's their problem.

Support. Some Scratchers do have problems with certain words.

Owner of Salad's BlockShop where you can order 3.0 scratchblocks.
Proud employee at the Unithlees Shop!



Hey, thanks for reading my post! Remember, don't Spam, Advertise, Necropost, or Derail.
(Derailing idea comes from @Dude) (SAND is made by Nezon)

You should go here.

CentiPost: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/508370/?page=1#post-5171967

JUST BECAUSE THERES A WORKAROUND ISNT A GOOD REASON TO NOT SUPPORT!!!

dont call me 7salad
dont call me 7salsa lol
just simply “Salad” will do."

Scratch wrote:

A signature is a small piece of text…
Me whos at the limit:

<[heckster geckster] ≠ [heggy mcgeggy]::#800000>

dont you just hate when you encounter a heckster geckster!!!

rip
(Scratch days::sensing)
(user id::sensing)
blocks

:]::#00289A// This is my pet Noobles! He also protects my signature from [i]unwanted  guests[/i] and he is not fascinated by war.

B){

}::#800080//This is Noobles' big brother, Probles. He has returned and Noobles is happy to see him! Probles will stay permanently.
//oh, yeah, he is also cool so he wears sunglasses.

:P::cap sensing//This is their little brother, Doobles
fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Censor certain words/phrases to yourself

dertermenter wrote:

Although it’s true in life that you have to face situation head on, I think in a rather passive and friendly website like scratch is may be better to cover the problem so the user doesn’t see it entirely, which may make the user more comfortable. If you can stop something. That may make another upset, you might as well.
Suppressing your feelings over something does not make it better, it will just build up and get worse, or never go away. Even if you were to censor some words on Scratch, you can't censor everywhere else, so in practice it achieves nothing unless you go into solitary confinement with a computer that can only access Scratch and nothing else.

Last edited by fdreerf (May 12, 2021 14:58:57)


Most projects or bust!
PkmnQ
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Censor certain words/phrases to yourself

pavcato wrote:

Also, I'm pretty sure parents wouldn't be too happy with kids writing a blacklist with swear words.
You do realize this isn't just for swear words, right?

SEVERE GLITCH ALERT!
There's a bug called the question mark glitch. Basically, sometimes, some of your costumes turn into question marks in boxes. If you're looking for the glitch in one of your projects, do NOT press see inside. If it happens that the question marks are there, they will become permanent. Go here for more information. If you spot it while editing, close the tab without saving.

Here, have a useful link:
The Official List of Rejected Suggestions by Za-Chary

Why it's bad to run arbitrary javascript

Also, this is where I keep my pet kumquat. I put it here because after 59.907 seconds of research I have found out that kumquats aren't cannibals.
PkmnQ
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Censor certain words/phrases to yourself

fdreerf wrote:

dertermenter wrote:

Although it’s true in life that you have to face situation head on, I think in a rather passive and friendly website like scratch is may be better to cover the problem so the user doesn’t see it entirely, which may make the user more comfortable. If you can stop something. That may make another upset, you might as well.
Suppressing your feelings over something does not make it better, it will just build up and get worse, or never go away. Even if you were to censor some words on Scratch, you can't censor everywhere else, so in practice it achieves nothing unless you go into solitary confinement with a computer that can only access Scratch and nothing else.
You're used to excessiveness, you're fdreerf. But for those who aren't, it's nice to have as few problems as possible. So it should be fixed. True, suppressing does not make it better, but you don't have to take only one action. You could use the censor as a temporary solution while you do a more permanent solution somewhere else. In fact, that permanent solution may be the everywhere else you can't censor.

SEVERE GLITCH ALERT!
There's a bug called the question mark glitch. Basically, sometimes, some of your costumes turn into question marks in boxes. If you're looking for the glitch in one of your projects, do NOT press see inside. If it happens that the question marks are there, they will become permanent. Go here for more information. If you spot it while editing, close the tab without saving.

Here, have a useful link:
The Official List of Rejected Suggestions by Za-Chary

Why it's bad to run arbitrary javascript

Also, this is where I keep my pet kumquat. I put it here because after 59.907 seconds of research I have found out that kumquats aren't cannibals.
fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Censor certain words/phrases to yourself

PkmnQ wrote:

You could use the censor as a temporary solution while you do a more permanent solution somewhere else. In fact, that permanent solution may be the everywhere else you can't censor.
Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution.

Most projects or bust!
PkmnQ
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Censor certain words/phrases to yourself

fdreerf wrote:

PkmnQ wrote:

You could use the censor as a temporary solution while you do a more permanent solution somewhere else. In fact, that permanent solution may be the everywhere else you can't censor.
Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution.
What's so hard to understand about using both glue and tape: You put the glue, you put the tape, once the glue has set, remove the tape.

SEVERE GLITCH ALERT!
There's a bug called the question mark glitch. Basically, sometimes, some of your costumes turn into question marks in boxes. If you're looking for the glitch in one of your projects, do NOT press see inside. If it happens that the question marks are there, they will become permanent. Go here for more information. If you spot it while editing, close the tab without saving.

Here, have a useful link:
The Official List of Rejected Suggestions by Za-Chary

Why it's bad to run arbitrary javascript

Also, this is where I keep my pet kumquat. I put it here because after 59.907 seconds of research I have found out that kumquats aren't cannibals.
PGBFLITE6373
Scratcher
500+ posts

Censor certain words/phrases to yourself

fdreerf wrote:

PkmnQ wrote:

Snip
Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution.
Honestly i agree with this. If temporary slolution works, it gets impletmented, If it dosn't work than it dosn't get impletmented and gets removed. There are no inbetweens.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————–
How do you make a siggie
PGBFLITE6373
Scratcher
500+ posts

Censor certain words/phrases to yourself

PkmnQ wrote:

fdreerf wrote:

PkmnQ wrote:

You could use the censor as a temporary solution while you do a more permanent solution somewhere else. In fact, that permanent solution may be the everywhere else you can't censor.
Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution.
What's so hard to understand about using both glue and tape: You put the glue, you put the tape, once the glue has set, remove the tape.
Why remove the tape if it works. you would get used to it by the time the glue gets settled. and plus, Why don't you put a little work into getting the glue to stick.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————–
How do you make a siggie
PkmnQ
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Censor certain words/phrases to yourself

PGBFLITE6373 wrote:

fdreerf wrote:

PkmnQ wrote:

Snip
Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution.
Honestly i agree with this. If temporary slolution works, it gets impletmented, If it dosn't work than it dosn't get impletmented and gets removed. There are no inbetweens.
Glue is a better solution than tape, because it's stronger. But glue takes time to set, so until the glue sets, have the tape there.

SEVERE GLITCH ALERT!
There's a bug called the question mark glitch. Basically, sometimes, some of your costumes turn into question marks in boxes. If you're looking for the glitch in one of your projects, do NOT press see inside. If it happens that the question marks are there, they will become permanent. Go here for more information. If you spot it while editing, close the tab without saving.

Here, have a useful link:
The Official List of Rejected Suggestions by Za-Chary

Why it's bad to run arbitrary javascript

Also, this is where I keep my pet kumquat. I put it here because after 59.907 seconds of research I have found out that kumquats aren't cannibals.
PkmnQ
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Censor certain words/phrases to yourself

PGBFLITE6373 wrote:

PkmnQ wrote:

fdreerf wrote:

PkmnQ wrote:

You could use the censor as a temporary solution while you do a more permanent solution somewhere else. In fact, that permanent solution may be the everywhere else you can't censor.
Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution.
What's so hard to understand about using both glue and tape: You put the glue, you put the tape, once the glue has set, remove the tape.
Why remove the tape if it works. you would get used to it by the time the glue gets settled. and plus, Why don't you put a little work into getting the glue to stick.
Because of something that's not in the analogy. When the permanent solution is done, and you aren't offended by that word anymore, it makes absolutely no sense to keep it censored.

SEVERE GLITCH ALERT!
There's a bug called the question mark glitch. Basically, sometimes, some of your costumes turn into question marks in boxes. If you're looking for the glitch in one of your projects, do NOT press see inside. If it happens that the question marks are there, they will become permanent. Go here for more information. If you spot it while editing, close the tab without saving.

Here, have a useful link:
The Official List of Rejected Suggestions by Za-Chary

Why it's bad to run arbitrary javascript

Also, this is where I keep my pet kumquat. I put it here because after 59.907 seconds of research I have found out that kumquats aren't cannibals.
PGBFLITE6373
Scratcher
500+ posts

Censor certain words/phrases to yourself

PkmnQ wrote:

PGBFLITE6373 wrote:

fdreerf wrote:

PkmnQ wrote:

Snip
Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution.
Honestly i agree with this. If temporary slolution works, it gets impletmented, If it dosn't work than it dosn't get impletmented and gets removed. There are no inbetweens.
Glue is a better solution than tape, because it's stronger. But glue takes time to set, so until the glue sets, have the tape there.
If you want to use glue and tape on a artwork you need clear tape. and then when you go to remove the tape, you might not see it and just let it be. also you prob want to use nails. Nails are best way to make something stick to something.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————–
How do you make a siggie
PkmnQ
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Censor certain words/phrases to yourself

PGBFLITE6373 wrote:

PkmnQ wrote:

Glue is a better solution than tape, because it's stronger. But glue takes time to set, so until the glue sets, have the tape there.
If you want to use glue and tape on a artwork you need clear tape. and then when you go to remove the tape, you might not see it and just let it be. also you prob want to use nails. Nails are best way to make something stick to something.
But you'll definitely see it, it's a censor. The only time you would censor something is if you see it often enough to annoy you enough to censor it. And most of the time, you don't have nails in the first place. Sometimes you do, but most of the time, you don't.

Last edited by PkmnQ (May 12, 2021 15:36:21)


SEVERE GLITCH ALERT!
There's a bug called the question mark glitch. Basically, sometimes, some of your costumes turn into question marks in boxes. If you're looking for the glitch in one of your projects, do NOT press see inside. If it happens that the question marks are there, they will become permanent. Go here for more information. If you spot it while editing, close the tab without saving.

Here, have a useful link:
The Official List of Rejected Suggestions by Za-Chary

Why it's bad to run arbitrary javascript

Also, this is where I keep my pet kumquat. I put it here because after 59.907 seconds of research I have found out that kumquats aren't cannibals.
fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Censor certain words/phrases to yourself

PkmnQ wrote:

Glue is a better solution than tape, because it's stronger. But glue takes time to set, so until the glue sets, have the tape there.
Glue also takes more work, so most will just use some tape and call it job done, and keep applying tape over and over. How about instead of using tape at all, don't use Scratch if a mere word can offend you?

Last edited by fdreerf (May 12, 2021 16:03:09)


Most projects or bust!
Codingfairy07
Scratcher
100+ posts

Censor certain words/phrases to yourself

I think this might not be a great suggestion. Okay, lets say their are two scratchers, one is called Example1 and the other is Example2. Lets say Example1 censored the word “Hate”. Lets say Example2 wrote a comment on Example1's profile that said this: “I hate fruit.” but Example1 saw this, “I h*** fruit.” Then, Example1 might write a comment that said “What did you say?” Then Example2 will write back, “I hate fruit”, but it still looks like “I h*** fruit” to Example1, and then Example1 will say “What did you say?” and then Example2 might write “I HATE FRUIT, OKAY?”, but Example1 is still confused and a flamewar will start.

Highlight This and press Shift + Down.
I, Neigh Pony, had taken over this signature! Now do you understand HOW POWERFUL I AM AND HOW I AM NOT AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE! We are currently creating semicolons and kumquats to take over others signatures, because the kumquat guard fell asleep!
(Evil Kumquat)
(Another Evil Kumquat)
(The Third Evil Kumquat Neigh Pony has made)
( •̀ ω •́ ✧)
Are some Kumquats.
;;;;;;;;;
Are some semicolons!
If you don't understand, you will soon. You. Will. Soon.
Yellowsheep43
Scratcher
500+ posts

Censor certain words/phrases to yourself

Codingfairy07 wrote:

I think this might not be a great suggestion. Okay, lets say their are two scratchers, one is called Example1 and the other is Example2. Lets say Example1 censored the word “Hate”. Lets say Example2 wrote a comment on Example1's profile that said this: “I hate fruit.” but Example1 saw this, “I h*** fruit.” Then, Example1 might write a comment that said “What did you say?” Then Example2 will write back, “I hate fruit”, but it still looks like “I h*** fruit” to Example1, and then Example1 will say “What did you say?” and then Example2 might write “I HATE FRUIT, OKAY?”, but Example1 is still confused and a flamewar will start.
A situation like that is not going to happen, I guarantee. But if it somehow does, you will still be able to see the censored word if you hover over it or check account settings or something.
Please read the entire OP before posting

PkmnQ wrote:

What's so hard to understand about using both glue and tape: You put the glue, you put the tape, once the glue has set, remove the tape.
I really like this analogy. Added to the OP with proper credit.

How to use scratchblocks \ How to make your project popular \ The Do's and Do Not's of the Suggestions Forum
“If it's in your favor, don't question it” - A friendly yellow snake
My signature is an evil kumquat factory
When [Post v] :: #ffd900
if <(Kumquats available? :: #00ff7b) = [Yes] :: #d642e3> then :: #00e32d
Make evil kumquats :: #00d5ff
end
Haha invisible block go brrr :: cap :: #ffffff
Austinato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Censor certain words/phrases to yourself

Any Most words that are downright inflammatory and lack a non-vulgar meaning aren't allowed on the site anyways. The words that slip by are at least somewhat acceptable, such as “h**l” and “d**n.” Unless the person is using it against you rudely, it isn't really offensive, for the lack of a better way of describing it.
oops, thanks Alphysse

Last edited by Austinato (May 12, 2021 16:31:51)




7000+ posts
Alphysse
Scratcher
500+ posts

Censor certain words/phrases to yourself

Austinato wrote:

Any words that are downright inflammatory and lack a non-vulgar meaning aren't allowed on the site anyways.
The a-word is an exception to this; it has a non vulgar meaning (donkey) but isn't acceptable on the site.

dertermenter
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Censor certain words/phrases to yourself

fdreerf wrote:

dertermenter wrote:

Although it’s true in life that you have to face situation head on, I think in a rather passive and friendly website like scratch is may be better to cover the problem so the user doesn’t see it entirely, which may make the user more comfortable. If you can stop something. That may make another upset, you might as well.
Suppressing your feelings over something does not make it better, it will just build up and get worse, or never go away. Even if you were to censor some words on Scratch, you can't censor everywhere else, so in practice it achieves nothing unless you go into solitary confinement with a computer that can only access Scratch and nothing else.
Would you want users getting upset more often?




dertermenter, creator for 5 years, 670 followers and counting!:)


Edit: No

;
fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Censor certain words/phrases to yourself

dertermenter wrote:

Would you want users getting upset more often?
No, that's why I don't like this suggestion. You don't solve a problem by hiding it and pretend it exists, and you definitely don't solve it by ignoring every other place where that problem can occur. Without affecting all of human culture, this solves nothing.

Most projects or bust!
dertermenter
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Censor certain words/phrases to yourself

fdreerf wrote:

dertermenter wrote:

Would you want users getting upset more often?
No, that's why I don't like this suggestion. You don't solve a problem by hiding it and pretend it exists, and you definitely don't solve it by ignoring every other place where that problem can occur. Without affecting all of human culture, this solves nothing.
True, that is a con. It still buries the problem and in the real world your gonna see stuff you don’t like.




dertermenter, creator for 5 years, 670 followers and counting!:)


Edit: No

;

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile