Discuss Scratch

MoreThanEnuff
Scratcher
500+ posts

User-created ads (READ FIRST)

I'd like to suggest something that will allow Scratchers to advertise without advertising on other's projects. User-created ads. They are banners that show up below the navbar or to the side of the screen that advertise stuff such as studios, projects, and forum topics. No, this isn't rejected.

TOLORS wrote:

7.7 Paid advertisements on the Scratch website
Some users are interested in seeing paid advertisements in their projects, like on YouTube, so they can make real money from people viewing their projects. Similarly, some users believe that having advertisements around the Scratch website can allow the Scratch Team to make more money. However, Scratch is supposed to be a non-profit organization. If the Scratch Team or any Scratchers start making money from anywhere on the Scratch website, that would contradict this non-profit philosophy, and that would be a huge legal issue.

7.7 talks about paid advertisements. However, what I'm suggesting here is completely free, and you won't gain money out of it. The user (if they want) can disable ads in account settings. The advertisments can be managed in “My Stuff”. (mockup needed) Much like other forms of content on the site, ads can be reported. The ads feature is only available for Scratchers and ST, and a form application would be at the bottom of the page.

.

If this is a duplicate, please tell me.

Last edited by MoreThanEnuff (April 10, 2021 19:43:22)

-EmeraldThunder-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

User-created ads (READ FIRST)

No support. I don't want to make us even more fame oriented. Scratch is a programming language not a popularity contest.
MoreThanEnuff
Scratcher
500+ posts

User-created ads (READ FIRST)

-EmeraldThunder- wrote:

No support. I don't want to make us even more fame oriented. Scratch is a programming language not a popularity contest.
Well then, if Scratch isn't about fame, we should remove the public follower count. And there's already a suggestion for that.
dertermenter
Scratcher
1000+ posts

User-created ads (READ FIRST)

MoreThanEnuff wrote:

-EmeraldThunder- wrote:

No support. I don't want to make us even more fame oriented. Scratch is a programming language not a popularity contest.
Well then, if Scratch isn't about fame, we should remove the public follower count. And there's already a suggestion for that.
We need Some info on how many followers people have. And it is a bit about fake but there needs to be a balance.
JustComedy
New to Scratch
8 posts

User-created ads (READ FIRST)

Do you know that this is a children's website?
TheAdriCoolManDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

User-created ads (READ FIRST)

Question: Would these ads be sent to through something like a form, and the Scratch Team has to go through them and approve certain ones to randomly appear at times?
Another Question: Would there be any restrictions of what these ads can promote, or who can make ads (like would New Scratchers not be able to make ads)
Last Question: If the answer to my first question is yes, then would this form be hidden somewhere at the bottom of the Scratch page, like with the forms, or maybe would the form be found somewhere on a specific page?


PGBFLITE6373
Scratcher
1000+ posts

User-created ads (READ FIRST)

JustComedy wrote:

Do you know that this is a children's website?
do you know what roblox is?

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
How to make siggie
-EmeraldThunder-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

User-created ads (READ FIRST)

PGBFLITE6373 wrote:

JustComedy wrote:

Do you know that this is a children's website?
do you know what roblox is?
You should not advertise to children.
Socialix
Scratcher
1000+ posts

User-created ads (READ FIRST)

No support, would you like to see the forums and stuff like these? Every ad would be that grassland platformer!

ROUNDED CUBE EYE PLATFORMER GRASSLAND LAVA SPIKE MOMENT



Also, the account settings page is barely used. Children wouldn't know how to disable these ads, and they would play
ROUNDED CUBE EYE PLATFORMER GRASSLAND LAVA SPIKE MOMENT platformers instead at coding school lessons.

socialix - excited for april fools - why is there a penguin breaking my window? - i use inconsistent operating system version 10 btw - signatures are overrated
GoboThePlant
Scratcher
100+ posts

User-created ads (READ FIRST)

I don't see a benefit covering on how this will decide the question, “Is Scratch about fame?”; no, it's not. It does introduce fame, but the main protagonist is coding. That being true, this gives the “distraction” that Scratch is about fame. Like Socialix stated, it doesn't help to give the message of learning; teachers, clubs may suffer the most. It has some moderation issues:
  1. Promoting more views on pre-NFE projects
  2. Promoting more views on inappropriate projects
  3. Giving more advantage to crumbling the emotions of users (ex. stating that __ is a noob)

It's the first day of school, and I think I might quit
'Cause the things I've been seeing in here don't make sense
So I packed up my things, and I walked through the door
And I'm going somewhere else instead
So, I chopped down some trees, and I built a small house
And I just might be small enough to live in it
Then the rain came pouring down, and it made some cool sounds
And they'll tell you what those sounds said
Said “Hello” and “Goodbye, ”
“Do you feel alright with the days gone by?”
I'll never waste my time, I'll never say goodbye
(Yes, I will, but I won't say it tonight)
So I picked a new character, and I've just chose my shirt
And I'm going to the land of the two letter words
On in up at or so, by if to of no it
It's a feeling we can't forget
Said “Hello” and “Goodnight, ” “Do you feel alright?”
“Do you remember the days gone by?”
“Do you remember the way that we dreamed we could change our lives?”
“Do you feel like changing your mind?”
It's the first day of school, and I think I might quit
Cause the things that I'm feeling still don't make sense
And I've tried to explain, and it hurts to describe
So I'll sing this song instead
Hello and goodbye
Do you think I'm dying?
Do you think I'm going somewhere else this time?
Do you remember the day we pretended to be every star in the sky?
It's the first day of school, but I think I might quit
Gonna learn some new lessons I won't forget
Gonna write them all down, in the language of love
And I'll teach them to everyone
Futurebot5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

User-created ads (READ FIRST)

Next time, read the whole list:

TOLORS wrote:

7.8 Project advertisements on the Scratch website
Some users are interested in having advertisements around the website which advertise Scratch projects or studios, even if they are not paid for these advertisements. However, it is unclear how projects would be chosen to be advertised. Also, this would require a Scratch Team member to ensure that inappropriate projects are not chosen to be advertised, and the Scratch Team does not currently have the resources to do this.


So…hello, ou bonjour, o hola, o ciao, oder hallo.

MoreThanEnuff
Scratcher
500+ posts

User-created ads (READ FIRST)

TheAdriCoolManDude wrote:

Question: Would these ads be sent to through something like a form, and the Scratch Team has to go through them and approve certain ones to randomly appear at times?
Another Question: Would there be any restrictions of what these ads can promote, or who can make ads (like would New Scratchers not be able to make ads)
Last Question: If the answer to my first question is yes, then would this form be hidden somewhere at the bottom of the Scratch page, like with the forms, or maybe would the form be found somewhere on a specific page?
1. I think a form would work best.
2. Only Scratchers and ST members can make ads.
3. I think it should be found at the bottom.
IliketrainsOG
Scratcher
74 posts

User-created ads (READ FIRST)

I'm not sure whether advertising would be be a good idea or not. People would make shock projects and advertise it. If we were to add an advertising system, it would be close to roblox's advertising system, Where a user pays a couple hundred dollars to advertise they're product. (This is rejected so…)

IliketrainsOG • He/Boy • “Stay in school kids, It makes you better a pvp” - Technoblade" • Coding •



Have a nice day!
reallysoftuser
Scratcher
1000+ posts

User-created ads (READ FIRST)

IliketrainsOG wrote:

I'm not sure whether advertising would be be a good idea or not. People would make shock projects and advertise it. If we were to add an advertising system, it would be close to roblox's advertising system, Where a user pays a couple hundred dollars to advertise they're product. (This is rejected so…)
You could report ads, or restrict advertising to more trustworthy users. Or you could propose projects to be adveritsed, similar to featured projects













Oh snap!

New updates for Windows 11 coming soon, including tabs for File Explorer, contextual suggestions across Microsoft 365 apps, Cloud PC integration, a redesigned Quick Assist, App folders for the Start Menu, oh my!

Microsoft is preparing a new email client for Windows 11!

In the latest Windows 11 update, Microsoft is going to give a new look to its classic Outlook email app and make it more user friendly and feature rich like Google Gmail email app.
MoreThanEnuff
Scratcher
500+ posts

User-created ads (READ FIRST)

reallysoftuser wrote:

IliketrainsOG wrote:

I'm not sure whether advertising would be be a good idea or not. People would make shock projects and advertise it. If we were to add an advertising system, it would be close to roblox's advertising system, Where a user pays a couple hundred dollars to advertise they're product. (This is rejected so…)
You could report ads, or restrict advertising to more trustworthy users. Or you could propose projects to be adveritsed, similar to featured projects
Exactly, I'll be adding that to the OG post.

Last edited by MoreThanEnuff (April 10, 2021 19:43:45)

Steve0Greatness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

User-created ads (READ FIRST)

I made a mockup for “My Stuff”:

is the worst emoji. It's horrendous and ugly. I hate it. The point of emojis is to show emotions, but what emotion does this show? Do you just wake up in the morning and think “wow, I really feel like a massive stone today”? It's useless. I hate it. It just provokes a deep rooted anger within me whenever I see it. I want to drive on over to the emoji headquarters and kill it. If this was the emoji movie I'd push it off a cliff. People just comment as if it's funny. It's not. deserves to die. He deserves to have his smug little stone face smashed in with a hammer. Oh wow, it's a stone head, how hilarious, I'll use it in every comment I post. NO. STOP IT. It deserves to burn in hell. Why is it so * smug. You're a stone, you have no life goals, you will never accomplish anything in life apart from * me off. When you die noone will mourn. I hope you die.
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

User-created ads (READ FIRST)

Futurebot5 wrote:

Next time, read the whole list:

TOLORS wrote:

7.8 Project advertisements on the Scratch website
Some users are interested in having advertisements around the website which advertise Scratch projects or studios, even if they are not paid for these advertisements. However, it is unclear how projects would be chosen to be advertised. Also, this would require a Scratch Team member to ensure that inappropriate projects are not chosen to be advertised, and the Scratch Team does not currently have the resources to do this.
Right you are — this is rejected, albeit for a slightly different reason than the OP listed. Even if Scratchers are not paid for these advertisements, we simply don't have the resources to pull it off effectively. Sorry — but keep thinking of ways to improve Scratch!

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021.

my notebook

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile