Discuss Scratch

TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Did I do the right thing?

Someone remixed one of my projects. All they did was alter a small section of the code, specifically the section where only I could change the data. He/She deleted that part and now anyone can access their project and put false data on it, tricking other users into believing incorrect information about the user. I am outraged. They did not change anything else. No sprites, not the rest of the code, anything. They did not give me credit either.

I did not tell them to give credit, as I was already outraged that this was a duplicate. I did not say anything to the user. I reported the project, put basically the above in the box, and off it went. Did I do the right thing?

If not, what should I have done?

-TheHockeyist, outraged, but still (semi-)calm.

Last edited by TheHockeyist (Aug. 21, 2014 21:20:35)

Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Probably not. It's a remix, so it's obviously not created by you, and the autocredit thing is generally considered good enough. Also, that change still was a change.

(I assume we're talking about the same project?)

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
Dreamo
Scratcher
500+ posts

I'm not an expert about reporting situations, but I think you could have asked the user to unshare the remix for the reasons in the first paragraph, and/or ask them to give credit and then if the user agreed, you'd have solved the problem without involving the mods. If the user hadn't, you might then want to report the project.

TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Firedrake969 wrote:

Probably not. It's a remix, so it's obviously not created by you, and the autocredit thing is generally considered good enough. Also, that change still was a change.

They copied my project and changed only a script. I'd say that's not enough.

gdpr533f604550b2f20900645890
Scratcher
1000+ posts

TheHockeyist wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

Even recolors are allowed. Unfortunately, a change is a change. However, what the other user did does sound sleazy and deceptive, so maybe you could explain to the ST exactly what happened.

Last edited by gdpr533f604550b2f20900645890 (Aug. 21, 2014 21:59:58)

TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Chibi-Matoran wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

Even recolors are allowed. Unfortunately, a change is a change. However, what the other user did does sound sleazy and deceptive, so maybe you could explain to the ST exactly what happened.

I already reported the project to them.

Scratcher
1000+ posts

TheHockeyist wrote:

Chibi-Matoran wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

Maybe you could use Contact Us as well, just to make sure.

Last edited by gdpr533f604550b2f20900645890 (Aug. 21, 2014 22:14:07)

TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Chibi-Matoran wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

Chibi-Matoran wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

Isn't reporting it enough?

Scratcher
1000+ posts

TheHockeyist wrote:

Chibi-Matoran wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

Chibi-Matoran wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

I don`t know. (I just saw your project. Since there is a link to the original, people will know to go there and will get the right info.)

Last edited by gdpr533f604550b2f20900645890 (Aug. 21, 2014 22:16:59)

TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Chibi-Matoran wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

Chibi-Matoran wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

Chibi-Matoran wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

I don`t know. (I just saw your project. Since there is a link to the original, people will know to go there and will get the right info.)
There is a link, but this is giving out false information. And it wasn't even by me. It was a remix.

Scratcher
1000+ posts

TheHockeyist wrote:

There is a link, but this is giving out false information. And it wasn't even by me. It was a remix.
Though the project is inaccurate, the good thing is that people will probably look at the original. So you can tell the ST, but I don`t think any true damage is done.

Last edited by gdpr533f604550b2f20900645890 (Aug. 21, 2014 22:27:33)

TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Chibi-Matoran wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

Chibi-Matoran wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

Chibi-Matoran wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

Chibi-Matoran wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

Though the project is inaccurate, the good thing is that people will probably look at the original.
True, but I'm still very concerned. This user copied my project, made one small change, and uploaded it. I am mad. Even one small change in the code is not enough. Especially if the project is whether I'm online or not.

Scratcher
1000+ posts

TheHockeyist wrote:

True, but I'm still very concerned. This user copied my project, made one small change, and uploaded it. I am mad. Even one small change in the code is not enough. Especially if the project is whether I'm online or not.
You can still report it (I just don`t think it will truly mislead people, and a small change is a change).

Last edited by gdpr533f604550b2f20900645890 (Aug. 21, 2014 22:30:00)

TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Chibi-Matoran wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

You can still report it (I just don`t think it will truly mislead people, and a small change is a change).
I already reported it.

KingOfAwesome58219
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Dreamo wrote:

I'm not an expert about reporting situations, but I think you could have asked the user to unshare the remix for the reasons in the first paragraph, and/or ask them to give credit and then if the user agreed, you'd have solved the problem without involving the mods. If the user hadn't, you might then want to report the project.
I completely agree with Dreamo here

AonymousGuy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The basic rule of thumb is that if anything is changed, it counts as a remix. So even changing
<(username) = [TheHockeyist]>
to
<(username) = [...]>
Is a legit remix.

Changing the position or hiding / showing a monitor are basically the only things that don't count.

And you should always ask a person for credit in the comments (and wait for a response) before reporting anything.

Last edited by AonymousGuy (Aug. 21, 2014 23:02:00)

TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

AonymousGuy wrote:

The basic rule of thumb is that if anything is changed, it counts as a remix. So even changing
to
<(username) = [...]>
Is a legit remix.

Changing the position or hiding / showing a monitor are basically the only things that don't count.

And you should always ask a person for credit in the comments (and wait for a response) before reporting anything.

They removed that entire
if <(username) = [TheHockeyist]> then

end

block.

AonymousGuy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

TheHockeyist wrote:

AonymousGuy wrote:

to
<(username) = [...]>
Is a legit remix.

They removed that entire
if <(username) = [TheHockeyist]> then

end

block.
Which, in effect, is the same as

AonymousGuy wrote:

changing
to
<(username) = [...]>
Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Removing an if block is still legitimate (and can sometimes dramatically alter the program)

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Firedrake969 wrote:

Removing an if block is still legitimate (and can sometimes dramatically alter the program)

I'm still very angry at the user.