Discuss Scratch

Basic88
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Stop Featuring "Generic Platformers"

LegoManiac04 wrote:

-snip-
Does anybody read the op anymore? I said “These projects already get the attention they deserve through top loved and trending.” The Scratch Team featuring these projects just takes up space for other underrated projects. This is like advertising a bankrupt company. It takes up space that can actually be used.

Last edited by Basic88 (Feb. 4, 2021 20:07:10)

I have moved to @BrowserExtension
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Stop Featuring "Generic Platformers"

We feature projects that serve as a good example of what you can make with Scratch. The purpose of the Featured tab is not to make someone “more popular” (although we will try to feature projects made by lesser-known Scratchers). I think there will always be backlash about what we try to feature. I've heard Scratchers say that we feature too many platformers. I've heard Scratchers say that we don't feature enough platformers. I've heard Scratchers say that certain projects we have featured are “too simple” to be featured.

The purpose of the Featured tab is to showcase what can be made with Scratch. This includes platformers, it includes remixes and backpack'd scripts (with credit, of course), and it includes simple projects. Be aware that not all platformers are even Top Loved. The recent platformer creator who was featured, for instance, doesn't appear to have previously been on the front page.

If you see a featured project that you don't like, that is okay — it is impossible for every featured project to please everybody. When you encounter a project that you don't like, just move on to the next one. I don't think we'll stop featuring platformers completely, however — as mentioned before, they effectively showcase what can be made with Scratch. If you see a project that you think deserves to be featured, feel free to propose it here: https://scratch.mit.edu/studios/28715018/

(The argument of what a “generic platformer” isn't very well-defined anyway. What is a “generic platformer”? I'm sure everyone has a different answer. My viewpoint is that every platformer is a “generic platformer” — either that, or none of them are.)

Keep thinking of ways to improve Scratch!

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay