Discuss Scratch

Planeguy
Scratcher
73 posts

Hide scripts

Has anyone had that time where you find that you don't want to publish a project because some might copy some “never before seen” script to the point where its forgotten that you created it. Probably not but still, there are people that would plonk it in there backpack and walk off with it. What I am proposing is that we should have a feature that allows us to hide certain scripts to stop others from doing ANYTHING with them (e.g. Putting in backpack, editing etc…). If you were to remix the project, the hidden script would still be copied and hidden from prying eyes but still active.

Rules:

You can hide a maximum of 3 scripts in a single project.

Each script is active in playing the project but not able to edit for the community

Last edited by Planeguy (July 28, 2014 13:37:30)

Have you ever spent hours on a project that turns out to be completely useless?
Is your project just sitting in your unshared list or trash?

Well not to worry, we take any useless (but complex) projects here!
PH-zero
Scratcher
100+ posts

Hide scripts

If you share your project on the Scarch-site, you agree that anyone can change/remix/retexture anything they want.
Scratch is a place to learn programming. And hidden scripts would be extreamly confusing to new scratchers.
With 3 scripts one can do a lot. What if a project only has 4 scripts, and 3 of them are hidden?
A new scratcher would look at the project and ask him/herself “How does this single scrtpt do that?”

This would cause a whole lot of misunderstandings.

Ever wanted to rotate the stage? Or to
go to x:() y:() z:() ::custom
Click me!
stickfiregames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hide scripts

No support, anything to prevents remixing will never happen and is against Scratch.

Not exactly the same as this, but I think it should be possible to hide scripts to make them easier to organise. Each hat block would have a button to show/hide the script:
when I receive [stage1 v] (hide ▲ :: events) :: events hat
switch backdrop to [stage1 v]
go to x: (-200) y: (-140)

when I receive [stage1 v] (show ▼ :: events) :: events hat
Which would prevent long scripts from getting in the way when you aren't using them.

Last edited by stickfiregames (July 28, 2014 14:43:42)

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!

or you just used Inspect Element, you hacker

;
TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hide scripts

No support for hiding scripts, either only for you or for the whole community.

theonlygusti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hide scripts

Share. You are free to remix projects, ideas, images, or anything else you find on Scratch – and anyone can use anything that you share. Be sure to give credit when you remix.
- Scratch Community Guidelines

The whole point of scratch is that anyone can pick up new ideas, new innovative ideas, and if you don't want people to see how genius you are that you came up with a super valuable script, don't share your project.

Why would you want to hide your good scripts? Surely you want people to know what you are capable of? That's the reason I follow everyone I follow, because of their genius in their script-making.

theonlygusti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hide scripts

stickfiregames wrote:

No support, anything to prevents remixing will never happen and is against Scratch.

Not exactly the same as this, but I think it should be possible to hide scripts to make them easier to organise. Each hat block would have a button to show/hide the script:

Which would prevent long scripts from getting in the way when you aren't using them.

I actually support this idea, it would make my projects easier. Although my vision is more like:

when green flag clicked ▼ :: events hat //at the moment, scripts are hidden

when green flag clicked ▲ :: events hat //now they are showing
repeat (15)
set [number v] to (pick random (10) to (50))
move (number) steps
turn ccw (number) degrees
end
say [this could be a cool feature]
stop [being incomprehensibly awesome v]

Last edited by theonlygusti (July 28, 2014 16:31:34)

mathfreak231
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hide scripts

when gf clicked //this script is hidden
if <(username) = [name of some guy you want to personally attack]>
say [you suck] for (2) secs
say [swear words] for (2) secs

nope

Last edited by mathfreak231 (July 28, 2014 16:31:54)

i have grown as a person. and ive grown, literally. none of my posts from before 2022 represent me accurately.
Iditaroid
Scratcher
500+ posts

Hide scripts

theonlygusti wrote:

stickfiregames wrote:

I actually support this idea, it would make my projects easier. Although my vision is more like:

when green flag clicked ▼ :: events hat //at the moment, scripts are hidden

when green flag clicked ▲ :: events hat //now they are showing
repeat (15)
set [number v] to (pick random (10) to (50))
move (number) steps
turn ccw (number) degrees
end
say [this could be a cool feature]
stop [being incomprehensibly awesome v]
This is a good idea (and it's exactly what I thought the topic was going to be about when I clicked it) but I think having a little button labeled show/hide would be a little less confusing for new scratchers

pvz_pro
Scratcher
500+ posts

Hide scripts

it's kind of rejected by sticky, but still no support, anyone should see the scripts to learn how projects work

if you are reading this, ok
alexphan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hide scripts

TheCity wrote:

lol you dont know?
omg
Please don't spam.

Anyway, no support, because of this:
when green flag clicked //hidden
if <(username) = [user123456]> then
say [go away you suck]
end
jagaman
Scratcher
3 posts

Hide scripts

It would be a good idea to hide scripts because i made a game with a code to get special things and people can see inside and find the code
carsracer
Scratcher
100+ posts

Hide scripts

No support since sharing a project on scratch means that all code is shared. Plus sharing code means more people can learn about how certain projects are made which helps other scratchers with their coding.

Everyone repeat after me

Read the stickies… Read the stickies…

Digital_Gaming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hide scripts

Semi-support. While I can see the uses for this, like if you're making an Easter egg, It would make remixing harder.

If you want to join the most creative studio on Scratch than ask to join Scratch Underground If you want to join Scratches Premium studio than ask to join Scratch Deluxe I hope you ask to join one of those and have a nice day. Check out my Official fan club!Click here if you want to check out my amazing projects DIGITAL GAMING SCRATCH AWARDS 2017
CHECK OUT THE OFFCIAL TOPICS FOR FORZA, HALO , CALL OF DUTY, BATTLEFEILD 1,THE CREW,DESTINY, RESIDENT EVIL,SONIC BOOM, PIXAR AND SUPER MARIO RUN
SCRATCH SUPERGUIDE
OFFICIAL TOPIC FOR TALKING ABOUT SHIPS
candp1225
New to Scratch
1 post

Hide scripts

Semi support. Say I want to make an MMO game or something online so you need a username and password so you have your own items and such, but I don't want people to be able to look in the code and be like ooo here is his stuff, and now has complete acces

Last edited by candp1225 (Nov. 10, 2016 04:13:33)

haydosm2006
Scratcher
16 posts

Hide scripts

well i need to know too!
Thelnvoker
Scratcher
100+ posts

Hide scripts

No support. As said in the Scratch Terms of Use:

All user-generated content you submit to Scratch is licensed to and through Scratch under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license. This allows others to view and remix your content. This license also allows the Scratch Team to display, distribute, and reproduce your content on the Scratch website, through social media channels, and elsewhere. If you do not want to license your content under this license, then do not share it on Scratch.

Also, remember that there is the report button. If someone has stolen your code or art or whatever, then just report it.

I'm a basically a potato or cat or something with a very dark sense of humor who likes steampunk, traditional art, Skyrim, etc.

Anyone wanna RP with me?

LemonComputer
Scratcher
100+ posts

Hide scripts

Support. People who copy projects then get their projects having more attention than the original is frustrating to see whilst I explore people's projects. >

Maths competition! Jobs include ‘information giver’, ‘artist’, ‘animator’ and ‘music player’! https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/137008562/
LemonComputer
Scratcher
100+ posts

Hide scripts

People who unsupport are people who support project copying. How sad to see so many people supporting project copying. If you're actually passionate about your projects, you wouldn't want them copied.

Maths competition! Jobs include ‘information giver’, ‘artist’, ‘animator’ and ‘music player’! https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/137008562/
MathlyCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hide scripts

LemonComputer wrote:

People who unsupport are people who support project copying. How sad to see so many people supporting project copying. If you're actually passionate about your projects, you wouldn't want them copied.
Scotsman fallacy there buddy; not everyone's non-support is promoting copying

Anyways, for the suggestion at hand, I feel like this shouldn't be implemented since the point of Scratch is to share your projects, not make copyrighted material that is locked from view. Scratch is under a Creative Commons, we can't add something like this.

Think before you act.
Actions speek louder than words.

hi there fella
sirfused
Scratcher
100+ posts

Hide scripts

Planeguy wrote:

Has anyone had that time where you find that you don't want to publish a project because some might copy some “never before seen” script to the point where its forgotten that you created it. Probably not but still, there are people that would plonk it in there backpack and walk off with it. What I am proposing is that we should have a feature that allows us to hide certain scripts to stop others from doing ANYTHING with them (e.g. Putting in backpack, editing etc…). If you were to remix the project, the hidden script would still be copied and hidden from prying eyes but still active.

Rules:

You can hide a maximum of 3 scripts in a single project.

Each script is active in playing the project but not able to edit for the community

And if you have secret codes in your game, you would want to hide them so that they actually have to figure them out