Discuss Scratch

GunChleoc
Scratcher
500+ posts

Someone advertised on someone elses project. Should I report it?

How about letting the owner of the project decide whether they want to report it or not?

Stuth sa Ghàidhlig
repeat until <not <(language) = [English]>>
set (language) to [Gàidhlig]
end
ForumHelperNanoPiex
Scratcher
500+ posts

GunChleoc wrote:

How about letting the owner of the project decide whether they want to report it or not?
Hmm…You make a good point. They might like advertising.
FloatingMuffins
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Technically against the community guidelines, but I wouldn't bother reporting it. The project owner mightn't care about advertising.

If someone advertised on my project, I wouldn’t care enough to report it,

Last edited by FloatingMuffins (Dec. 20, 2020 19:57:00)

Hi, I'm FloatingMuffins!
You can call me Muffins!
Age 17 | Irish | Traditional Catholic | Conservative

niffler2020352
Scratcher
2 posts

If they say in description/credits that it is ok to advertise then don't report, but otherwise, yes, report it.
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

10goto10 wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

I usually say by default that advertising is not allowed unless the user is okay with it. In general it can be unwanted and unconstructive.
Well, in that case I recommend that you edit Paddle2see’s announcement for clarity and to match what you are saying here. It’s better when there is a single, clear, objective standard.
The announcement already states several places where advertising is considered off-topic and reportable:

Paddle2See wrote:

Where is it not okay to advertise?

Any place where your ad would be considered “off-topic”, such as:
  • Comments on someone else's project
  • Comments on someone else's profile (possible exception - maybe your followers profiles would be okay - but you might want to check with them first)
  • On areas of the Discussion Forums other than Show and Tell
  • In Studios that are not relevant to the project you are advertising

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
10goto10
Scratcher
500+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

10goto10 wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

I usually say by default that advertising is not allowed unless the user is okay with it. In general it can be unwanted and unconstructive.
Well, in that case I recommend that you edit Paddle2see’s announcement for clarity and to match what you are saying here. It’s better when there is a single, clear, objective standard.
The announcement already states several places where advertising is considered off-topic and reportable:

Paddle2See wrote:

• Comments on someone else's profile (possible exception - maybe your followers profiles would be okay - but you might want to check with them first)

Yes, on that part you agree, but, he goes on to add this provision

paddle2see wrote:

However, inviting somebody to enjoy one of your projects that is similar to one of theirs might be considered okay, since you are sharing an interest

There is too much distance between that and

Za-Chary wrote:

It’s just not the same thing or if it is then what Paddle2see wrote should be changed for clarity so people understand that

paddle2see wrote:

.. inviting somebody to enjoy one of your projects that is similar to one of theirs might be considered okay…
is actually Not okay.

And this question is left hanging

10goto10 wrote:

I’m still not sure I see that much difference between “nice Pong game. I’ve written one myself that I think turned out well. Let me know if you’d like the link.” vs “nice Pong game. I’ve written one myself that I think turned out well and here’s the link …”. Is it because the link is in blue and it draws your eye to it?

Is one of these okay? Neither? The first example is as close as I could get to spirit of the provision that Paddle2see offered but stopping short of including it a link.

Do you have an Animate a Name project that you'd like to have added to a studio? Please leave a comment in this studio.

Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

10goto10 wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

10goto10 wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

Yes, on that part you agree, but, he goes on to add this provision

paddle2see wrote:

However, inviting somebody to enjoy one of your projects that is similar to one of theirs might be considered okay, since you are sharing an interest

There is too much distance between that and

Za-Chary wrote:

It’s just not the same thing or if it is then what Paddle2see wrote should be changed for clarity so people understand that

paddle2see wrote:

.. inviting somebody to enjoy one of your projects that is similar to one of theirs might be considered okay…
is actually Not okay.

And this question is left hanging

10goto10 wrote:

I’m still not sure I see that much difference between “nice Pong game. I’ve written one myself that I think turned out well. Let me know if you’d like the link.” vs “nice Pong game. I’ve written one myself that I think turned out well and here’s the link …”. Is it because the link is in blue and it draws your eye to it?

Is one of these okay? Neither? The first example is as close as I could get to spirit of the provision that Paddle2see offered but stopping short of including it a link.

I like your first example a lot - not posting a link until invited to do so. That way you are making sure that it is welcome in that space.

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;