Discuss Scratch

Mr_sprite
Scratcher
81 posts

Sound Loudness Block - Test it now!

DemCupcakesYo wrote:

Volume sounds like a better name, but +1.

I am trying to make it sound like the current
(loudness)
block because it works in a similar way. It just uses the playing sound instead of the microphone.
Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sound Loudness Block - Test it now!

Mr_sprite wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

Mr_sprite wrote:

jTron wrote:

Mr_sprite wrote:

Advanced description: It returns the frequency of the currently playing sound, as a number between 0-100. 0 meaning no sound, and 100 being the highest possible frequency/loudness possible
Do you mean intensity? Frequency is another matter entirely and many members of the community would also like that block, but I don't think it's what you're suggesting.

Nope. It does in fact return frequency. In AS3 there is a sound mixer class that returns the frequency. I read all of the documentation. I converted the value it returns to be between 0 and 100.
Frequency does NOT relate to volume. It returns one or the other, but it cannot return both in one variable.

I know. It returns the frequency. Volume is the way that sounds are ordered on a scale from quiet to loud. You can't take a sound and “get” it's volume. That is just impossible. Just like the current loudness block returns not technically the loudness of the microphone, this block uses the word loudness to represent a more technical term that younger users might not understand.
No, frequency is the pitch of the sound–how high it sounds. Amplitude determines the volume.

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
Mr_sprite
Scratcher
81 posts

Sound Loudness Block - Test it now!

Firedrake969 wrote:

Mr_sprite wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

Mr_sprite wrote:

jTron wrote:

Mr_sprite wrote:

Advanced description: It returns the frequency of the currently playing sound, as a number between 0-100. 0 meaning no sound, and 100 being the highest possible frequency/loudness possible
Do you mean intensity? Frequency is another matter entirely and many members of the community would also like that block, but I don't think it's what you're suggesting.

Nope. It does in fact return frequency. In AS3 there is a sound mixer class that returns the frequency. I read all of the documentation. I converted the value it returns to be between 0 and 100.
Frequency does NOT relate to volume. It returns one or the other, but it cannot return both in one variable.

I know. It returns the frequency. Volume is the way that sounds are ordered on a scale from quiet to loud. You can't take a sound and “get” it's volume. That is just impossible. Just like the current loudness block returns not technically the loudness of the microphone, this block uses the word loudness to represent a more technical term that younger users might not understand.
No, frequency is the pitch of the sound–how high it sounds. Amplitude determines the volume.

I used the computeSpectrum() method in AS3. I don't know if you understand what that means but read the 3rd paragraph on this page: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ActionScript/3.0_ProgrammingAS3/WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e63e3d118a9b90204-7d17.html I used that exact same method. Hence the reason that I call it frequency.
gigapouch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sound Loudness Block - Test it now!

I support.

I have a Steam account. If you have one too, feel free to add me to your friends list.
Also check out my YouTube channel if you like the outdoors, Minecraft, cars, roller coasters, etc.
TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sound Loudness Block - Test it now!

Support.


davidkt
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sound Loudness Block - Test it now!

Support, but I think it should be called sound volume to be consistent with the other blocks.

Remember when I looked like this? I still do.


Float, my Scratch 2.0 mod | My (somewhat under-construction) blog
Thepuzzlegame
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sound Loudness Block - Test it now!

davidkt wrote:

Support, but I think it should be called sound volume to be consistent with the other blocks.
Then it could be confused with
(volume)

hi!
TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sound Loudness Block - Test it now!

Thepuzzlegame wrote:

davidkt wrote:

Support, but I think it should be called sound volume to be consistent with the other blocks.
Then it could be confused with
(volume)

Sound loudness = volume? This has become confusing.


Mr_sprite
Scratcher
81 posts

Sound Loudness Block - Test it now!

davidkt wrote:

Support, but I think it should be called sound volume to be consistent with the other blocks.

I am going to stay with loudness because it returns similar things in comparison to the loudness block. The loudness block returns 0-100 based on microphone sound. The sound loudness block returns 0-100 based on playing sounds.
Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sound Loudness Block - Test it now!

Mr_sprite wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

Mr_sprite wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

Mr_sprite wrote:

jTron wrote:

Mr_sprite wrote:

Advanced description: It returns the frequency of the currently playing sound, as a number between 0-100. 0 meaning no sound, and 100 being the highest possible frequency/loudness possible
Do you mean intensity? Frequency is another matter entirely and many members of the community would also like that block, but I don't think it's what you're suggesting.

Nope. It does in fact return frequency. In AS3 there is a sound mixer class that returns the frequency. I read all of the documentation. I converted the value it returns to be between 0 and 100.
Frequency does NOT relate to volume. It returns one or the other, but it cannot return both in one variable.

I know. It returns the frequency. Volume is the way that sounds are ordered on a scale from quiet to loud. You can't take a sound and “get” it's volume. That is just impossible. Just like the current loudness block returns not technically the loudness of the microphone, this block uses the word loudness to represent a more technical term that younger users might not understand.
No, frequency is the pitch of the sound–how high it sounds. Amplitude determines the volume.

I used the computeSpectrum() method in AS3. I don't know if you understand what that means but read the 3rd paragraph on this page: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ActionScript/3.0_ProgrammingAS3/WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e63e3d118a9b90204-7d17.html I used that exact same method. Hence the reason that I call it frequency.
“amplitude arranged by frequency”
If you look at the chart, the amplitudes (how loud it is!) aren't in order, because it returns the frequency (the pitch!)

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
Mr_sprite
Scratcher
81 posts

Sound Loudness Block - Test it now!

Firedrake969 wrote:

Mr_sprite wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

Mr_sprite wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

Mr_sprite wrote:

jTron wrote:

Mr_sprite wrote:

Advanced description: It returns the frequency of the currently playing sound, as a number between 0-100. 0 meaning no sound, and 100 being the highest possible frequency/loudness possible
Do you mean intensity? Frequency is another matter entirely and many members of the community would also like that block, but I don't think it's what you're suggesting.

Nope. It does in fact return frequency. In AS3 there is a sound mixer class that returns the frequency. I read all of the documentation. I converted the value it returns to be between 0 and 100.
Frequency does NOT relate to volume. It returns one or the other, but it cannot return both in one variable.

I know. It returns the frequency. Volume is the way that sounds are ordered on a scale from quiet to loud. You can't take a sound and “get” it's volume. That is just impossible. Just like the current loudness block returns not technically the loudness of the microphone, this block uses the word loudness to represent a more technical term that younger users might not understand.
No, frequency is the pitch of the sound–how high it sounds. Amplitude determines the volume.

I used the computeSpectrum() method in AS3. I don't know if you understand what that means but read the 3rd paragraph on this page: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ActionScript/3.0_ProgrammingAS3/WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e63e3d118a9b90204-7d17.html I used that exact same method. Hence the reason that I call it frequency.
“amplitude arranged by frequency”
If you look at the chart, the amplitudes (how loud it is!) aren't in order, because it returns the frequency (the pitch!)

So your point is you want me to re-name the block to Sound Frequency.
The_Grits
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sound Loudness Block - Test it now!

+1 Haven't used it yet, but love the concept!


Mr_sprite
Scratcher
81 posts

Sound Loudness Block - Test it now!

The_Grits wrote:

+1 Haven't used it yet, but love the concept!
Try the demo!
ScratchModelMaker
Scratcher
100+ posts

Sound Loudness Block - Test it now!

Support.

i mask waifus in sony vegas pro to please myself
MegaApuTurkUltra
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sound Loudness Block - Test it now!

I know this topic has just been necrobumped but I want to say no support.

My project already features a pretty swaggy visualizer - no extra blocks required. If novice scratchers want to make their own visualizer, they should recognize that making a visualizer, like a lot of things on scratch that people want to do (3D, multiplayer, etc) requires advanced knowledge and hard work, not wishing for a new block to do what they want. No offense to OP
[Removed - let's not put down other projects]

Last edited by Harakou (May 17, 2015 03:53:38)


cute cute cute cute cute

rip in pizza ATs
Mr_sprite
Scratcher
81 posts

Sound Loudness Block - Test it now!

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

I know this topic has just been necrobumped but I want to say no support.

My project already features a pretty swaggy visualizer - no extra blocks required. If novice scratchers want to make their own visualizer, they should recognize that making a visualizer, like a lot of things on scratch that people want to do (3D, multiplayer, etc) requires advanced knowledge and hard work, not wishing for a new block to do what they want. No offense to OP
[Removed]

Awesome project! But the thing is, yours is rather laggy and hard to set up, and mine is directly in AS3 code and therefore runs much faster.

Not that I expect this to ever be in Scratch. Nothing in these forums that is not a bugfix is added…

But whatever.

Last edited by Harakou (May 17, 2015 03:54:44)

MegaApuTurkUltra
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sound Loudness Block - Test it now!

Mr_sprite wrote:

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

I know this topic has just been necrobumped but I want to say no support.

My project already features a pretty swaggy visualizer - no extra blocks required. If novice scratchers want to make their own visualizer, they should recognize that making a visualizer, like a lot of things on scratch that people want to do (3D, multiplayer, etc) requires advanced knowledge and hard work, not wishing for a new block to do what they want. No offense to OP
[Removed]

Awesome project! But the thing is, yours is rather laggy and hard to set up, and mine is directly in AS3 code and therefore runs much faster.

Not that I expect this to ever be in Scratch. Nothing in these forums that is not a bugfix is added…

But whatever.
Lag? It runs fine on my (terrible) dual-core i3 2.6ghz laptop with 4gb ram. It even runs on my school's (really terrible) computers! I'm not sure why it would lag on anything other than like some computer from the 90s…

And being hard to set up is the point…you can't just request that Scratch adds something like 3D or easy multiplayer, you have to work it out yourself.

Last edited by Harakou (May 17, 2015 03:55:08)


cute cute cute cute cute

rip in pizza ATs
Thepuzzlegame
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sound Loudness Block - Test it now!

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

I know this topic has just been necrobumped but I want to say no support.

My project already features a pretty swaggy visualizer - no extra blocks required. If novice scratchers want to make their own visualizer, they should recognize that making a visualizer, like a lot of things on scratch that people want to do (3D, multiplayer, etc) requires advanced knowledge and hard work, not wishing for a new block to do what they want. No offense to OP
[Removed]
I definitely see your point of view and that project is incredibly cool! However one of the main goals of scratch is to simplify programming for younger audiences. There's already a block which detects the mic loudness so why not add a block that detects sound loudness as well?

Last edited by Harakou (May 17, 2015 03:55:38)


hi!
Mr_sprite
Scratcher
81 posts

Sound Loudness Block - Test it now!

Thepuzzlegame wrote:

MegaApuTurkUltra wrote:

I know this topic has just been necrobumped but I want to say no support.

My project already features a pretty swaggy visualizer - no extra blocks required. If novice scratchers want to make their own visualizer, they should recognize that making a visualizer, like a lot of things on scratch that people want to do (3D, multiplayer, etc) requires advanced knowledge and hard work, not wishing for a new block to do what they want. No offense to OP
[Removed]
I definitely see your point of view and that project is incredibly cool! However one of the main goals of scratch is to simplify programming for younger audiences. There's already a block which detects the mic loudness so why not add a block that detects sound loudness as well?


I couldn't have said it better myself..

But I have kind of given up on the whole Open Source part of Scratch. Every time I try to submit something it gets rejected because it wasn't on the Discussion forums.

So then I come here.

And nothing ever happens here because it is a bunch of opinions.
rant end.

Last edited by Harakou (May 17, 2015 03:56:31)

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile