Discuss Scratch

Celestyal
Scratcher
9 posts

Diamond Platformer Team

TheGreenFlash wrote:

Major Update
About an hour ago, lysandreD stepped down as Leader and left the Diamond Platformer Team. At the request of many team members, I have taken the position. Now that I have this authority, I'd like to make a few announcements about my plans for the development of our game.

The game will be supported by 3 pillars:
Balance
The game won't favor story over gameplay or vice versa. Each element will support the other. Balance also applies to the pacing of the gameplay; some levels will be strongly rooted in exploration, and others will feature intense combat, with most levels sitting somewhere in between. This will keep players engaged.
Cohesion
We will create a cohesive world for our characters. Shops will be actual shops that you can visit, and cutscenes will use the same graphics and programing as gameplay. This will give our game structure and streamline its development.
Experience
The game will be oriented towards creating an experience for the player. Levels will be designed to evoke different feelings and emotions such as suspense, excitement, fear, power, etc. This will make our game stand out from others.

By supporting our game with these guiding principles, I believe we can create a game far beyond what's normally found on Scratch. I believe that this is how we'll win.

Thanks for reading, and don't forget to check in with your department studio and choose an assignment to work on. Also, please tell us what assignment you have chosen so that we don't have people doing work that has already been done.

Thanks for your dedication, and keep up the good work!

Congratulations!
I'm gonna leave the team to you. I'm gonna be more inactive
Chan-TV
Scratcher
12 posts

Diamond Platformer Team

Can i be a co-co-captain because i have no real job, im just an ‘other’
TheGreenFlash
New to Scratch
28 posts

Diamond Platformer Team

Chan-TV wrote:

Congratulations @Thegreenflash. You deserve being the leader. As for the gameplay, it sounds really cool and great. Great job guys!
Thanks, I appreciate the support!

Celestyal wrote:

TheGreenFlash wrote:

Major Update
Congratulations!
I'm gonna leave the team to you. I'm gonna be more inactive
Thank you for all of your work as co-leader! Do you want to stay on in another position?

Chan-TV wrote:

Can i be a co-co-captain because i have no real job, im just an ‘other’
I'm planning on shifting around a few positions, but those plans have to be finalized before they're put into effect. Is there a specific department you'd want to join? I always thought you'd be good at level design, but we won't be doing any of that for a few weeks.
TheGreenFlash
New to Scratch
28 posts

Diamond Platformer Team

Update - 8 Days to Battle 1

First, I'd like to announce some changes in team leadership.
NC9548 has been promoted to the co-leader position.
ProgrammeKing has been promoted to head designer.
Many factors went into choosing these Scratchers, and I believe that this current arrangement is what's best for the team.

Getting Ready for Battle 1
In a week and one day, we will be entering Battle 1, and I couldn't be happier with where we are. We have made a lot of progress towards completing this, and we only have a few things left to do before we're ready:
  • Title — The title should reflect both the action/adventure gameplay and the cinematic feel of the game while also relating to the storyline (see post #2).
  • Character — If we use the character from the Character Framework project, all that's left to do is name him. That being said, anyone is still welcome to come up with a different character design.
  • Transferring the Story to a Project — I'll be working on transferring the story from post #2 to a project (with perhaps a bit of dramatic embellishment ). If any designers want to make concept art based on the story, it could be cool to add it to the Battle 1 project. Also, if anyone has any ideas to improve the story, I'd love to hear them!

I'd also like to acknowledge some of our members for their work on assignments this week.
Thanks to Chan-TV for coding this floating ember effect, the code of which was modified and used in the rough draft of the the main menu.
Thanks to PixelPlayer2009 for doing a lot of the work to condense the original main menu project into a single sprite, for making some smart changes to a scrolling platformer engine, and for starting on a character design.
Thanks to MicahBruh for creating the start of a sound library for the game.
Thanks to MoonVirus for creating a scrolling platformer engine.
Thanks to MoonVirus, Chan-TV, and aw57169 for making various enemy AI's.
Thanks to IAMATP for working on particle explosion physics.
Thanks to everyone who's given feedback on any team projects! That's a great way to contribute and help improve the game!
I encourage you to check out the great work these Scratchers have done, and please let me know if I forgot anyone! I might have missed some projects that weren't in the team or department studios.

Finally, don't forget to check in regularly with your department studios. If you don't know what to do, just ask for an assignment.
Keep up the good work!

Last edited by TheGreenFlash (Nov. 13, 2020 22:40:37)

ProgrammeKing
Scratcher
18 posts

Diamond Platformer Team

Although that wasn’t my original plan, I will be very happy to be the head designer. Can I also participate in the designing? If yes, thank you!
MoonVirus
Scratcher
25 posts

Diamond Platformer Team

TheGreenFlash wrote:

Major Update
About an hour ago, lysandreD stepped down as Leader and left the Diamond Platformer Team. At the request of many team members, I have taken the position. Now that I have this authority, I'd like to make a few announcements about my plans for the development of our game.

The game will be supported by 3 pillars:
Balance
The game won't favor story over gameplay or vice versa. Each element will support the other. Balance also applies to the pacing of the gameplay; some levels will be strongly rooted in exploration, and others will feature intense combat, with most levels sitting somewhere in between. This will keep players engaged.
Cohesion
We will create a cohesive world for our characters. Shops will be actual shops that you can visit, and cutscenes will use the same graphics and programing as gameplay. This will give our game structure and streamline its development.
Experience
The game will be oriented towards creating an experience for the player. Levels will be designed to evoke different feelings and emotions such as suspense, excitement, fear, power, etc. This will make our game stand out from others.

By supporting our game with these guiding principles, I believe we can create a game far beyond what's normally found on Scratch. I believe that this is how we'll win.

Thanks for reading, and don't forget to check in with your department studio and choose an assignment to work on. Also, please tell us what assignment you have chosen so that we don't have people doing work that has already been done.

Thanks for your dedication, and keep up the good work!
That sounds very cool :O
TheGreenFIash
New to Scratch
21 posts

Diamond Platformer Team

ProgrammeKing wrote:

Although that wasn’t my original plan, I will be very happy to be the head designer. Can I also participate in the designing? If yes, thank you!
Absolutely! The heads also serve as role models for department members, so they are strongly encouraged to do assignments as well.
al25clai3
Scratcher
64 posts

Diamond Platformer Team

id join as programer. if you want then here https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/442927324/
-CodingWolf-
Scratcher
14 posts

Diamond Platformer Team

TheGreenFIash wrote:

ProgrammeKing wrote:

Absolutely! The heads also serve as role models for department members, so they are strongly encouraged to do assignments as well.
You have my trust, GreenFlash, as you are leading.
ProgrammeKing
Scratcher
18 posts

Diamond Platformer Team

TheGreenFIash wrote:

ProgrammeKing wrote:

Thank you
Celestyal
Scratcher
9 posts

Diamond Platformer Team

I'll not be on scratch on weekends. Also, I have a test coming soon so I might a well leave. I'll give feedback though. I notice that I'm not on the list anymore
TheGreenFIash
New to Scratch
21 posts

Diamond Platformer Team

Celestyal wrote:

I'll not be on scratch on weekends. Also, I have a test coming soon so I might a well leave. I'll give feedback though. I notice that I'm not on the list anymore
Sorry about that. When you didn't respond after I asked if you wanted to stay on in another position, I thought you might have unfollowed the forum thread and left the team. I'll add you back to the list.
Chan-TV
Scratcher
12 posts

Diamond Platformer Team

Hi everyone! Just wanted to say how good of a job we're doing. Also for the sound ppl, just wnated to let you know that i can play the POTC theme on the piano, so maybe we coud use that for creativity points or somethign, we don't have to use it. Also, whatever you guys need, just let me know and i will try to help. Lastly, i think that we should make a ladder to climb up for the scrolling platformer. So when the character moves up the ship or something, he gets up by climbing up a ladder. Again, we don[t have to use any of my ideas, just trying to do my part. Have a great day/night/afternoon/idk.

TheGreenFIash
New to Scratch
21 posts

Diamond Platformer Team

Chan-TV wrote:

Hi everyone! Just wanted to say how good of a job we're doing. Also for the sound ppl, just wnated to let you know that i can play the POTC theme on the piano, so maybe we coud use that for creativity points or somethign, we don't have to use it. Also, whatever you guys need, just let me know and i will try to help. Lastly, i think that we should make a ladder to climb up for the scrolling platformer. So when the character moves up the ship or something, he gets up by climbing up a ladder. Again, we don[t have to use any of my ideas, just trying to do my part. Have a great day/night/afternoon/idk.
Absolutely, it would be great to be able to have ladders in levels. Thanks for that great idea, and I'll add that to my character animation list!

Last edited by TheGreenFIash (Nov. 17, 2020 05:21:20)

IAMATP
Scratcher
78 posts

Diamond Platformer Team

Chan-TV wrote:

Hi everyone! Just wanted to say how good of a job we're doing. Also for the sound ppl, just wanted to let you know that I can play the POTC theme on the piano, so maybe we could use that for creativity points or something, we don't have to use it. Also, whatever you guys need, just let me know and I will try to help. Lastly, I think that we should make a ladder to climb up for the scrolling platformer. So when the character moves up the ship or something, he gets up by climbing up a ladder. Again, we don't have to use any of my ideas, just trying to do my part. Have a great day/night/afternoon/idk.

Nice idea!!

Join my studio!
Shape Fillers

To join, ask me on my profile. Everyone is invited!
TheGreenFlash
New to Scratch
28 posts

Diamond Platformer Team

Update: 2.5 Days to Battle 1

Final Days before Battle 1
It's almost here, and we're ready for it! With Battle 1 days away, we are finishing up the last few tasks before the deadline. NC9548 is putting together the story, I'm making the project to showcase our game assets in the battle, and everyone else is working on assignments to keep us ahead of schedule.

What Can I Do for You?
Right now, I want to know what I can do to help you make this game. Would you prefer if I gave more assignments to specific people instead of relying on volunteers? Would you like more assignment options? Would you like fewer long updates where I ask unnecessary questions? Let me know!

Thanks for all of your hard work!
Chan-TV
Scratcher
12 posts

Diamond Platformer Team

What do you want me to do?
Chan-TV
Scratcher
12 posts

Diamond Platformer Team

I update my sparks code
TheGreenFIash
New to Scratch
21 posts

Diamond Platformer Team

Chan-TV wrote:

What do you want me to do?
Could you start adding color and details to MoonVirus's level designs? That would help us get a start on next week when we start putting together a level in a scrolling engine.

Chan-TV wrote:

I update my sparks code
I just saw that, and it looks really nice!
Chan-TV
Scratcher
12 posts

Diamond Platformer Team

Hello All, for my cave drawing, here's the link to the project.
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/452413535/
Read the description