Discuss Scratch

theluigiguy111
Scratcher
100+ posts

Homestar Runner

minikiwigeek2 wrote:

so how good or more importantly, age-appropriate would you say HR is? I've never seen it.
Homestar is pretty funny. Its actually one of the few early internet series that managed to be humorous without dirty humor and or a curse word every 5 seconds.

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!
minikiwigeek2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Homestar Runner

theluigiguy111 wrote:

minikiwigeek2 wrote:

so how good or more importantly, age-appropriate would you say HR is? I've never seen it.
Homestar is pretty funny. Its actually one of the few early internet series that managed to be humorous without dirty humor and or a curse word every 5 seconds.
Fascinating. And it's still being made?

Reducing activity on Scratch during the month of June, and only popping in if I need to say something important. Contact me on external sites for a faster response.
(source for leftmost gif: thebrawlgirl)

theluigiguy111
Scratcher
100+ posts

Homestar Runner

minikiwigeek2 wrote:

theluigiguy111 wrote:

minikiwigeek2 wrote:

Fascinating. And it's still being made?
Somewhat. Not exactly as often as they used to, But it's still around.

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!
Interstellar-TV
Scratcher
100+ posts

Homestar Runner

minikiwigeek2 wrote:

Glad you asked!

As for quality:
Homestar Runner, like all shows that run this long, goes up and down in quality. The early Strong Bad Emails are fine but not nearly as good as what comes later in the series. In my opinion, the series was at its best in the mid-2000s, but the recent cartoons are really funny. Especially after Matt Chapman returned from his writing stint on Gravity Falls, you could feel the quality of the writing increase and the jokes becoming more clever.

As for age-appropriateness:
Homestar Runner is much more age-appropriate than what Common Sense Media says (which is 16+ for some reason). The worst that the series gets is occasional references to making out and occasional use of VERY VERY mild language (barely a concern honestly but still worth mentioning). Violence is a bigger issue, while it's mostly childish slapstick, characters can get seriously injured and on the rarest of occasions some blood is visible. If you watch Cartoon Network it's probably nothing you haven't seen before.

Tl;dr - Homestar Runner is really good and it's probably appropriate for ages 12 and up.

► INTERSTELLAR-TV ◄

“Meatballs, tasty”

~Jonathan Coulton

Maker of art, songs, and other various nonsense
minikiwigeek2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Homestar Runner

Interstellar-TV wrote:

minikiwigeek2 wrote:

Glad you asked!

As for quality:
Homestar Runner, like all shows that run this long, goes up and down in quality. The early Strong Bad Emails are fine but not nearly as good as what comes later in the series. In my opinion, the series was at its best in the mid-2000s, but the recent cartoons are really funny. Especially after Matt Chapman returned from his writing stint on Gravity Falls, you could feel the quality of the writing increase and the jokes becoming more clever.

As for age-appropriateness:
Homestar Runner is much more age-appropriate than what Common Sense Media says (which is 16+ for some reason). The worst that the series gets is occasional references to making out and occasional use of VERY VERY mild language (barely a concern honestly but still worth mentioning). Violence is a bigger issue, while it's mostly childish slapstick, characters can get seriously injured and on the rarest of occasions some blood is visible. If you watch Cartoon Network it's probably nothing you haven't seen before.

Tl;dr - Homestar Runner is really good and it's probably appropriate for ages 12 and up.
Also fascinating. The only reason I said that is mostly because of the fact that it's a web series, and web media if you're not careful can be pretty sus amongus. Just wanted to be careful.

Last edited by minikiwigeek2 (July 23, 2022 21:43:05)

Reducing activity on Scratch during the month of June, and only popping in if I need to say something important. Contact me on external sites for a faster response.
(source for leftmost gif: thebrawlgirl)

Interstellar-TV
Scratcher
100+ posts

Homestar Runner

Don't know if you guys know this, but the Brothers Chaps are in a band! Matt plays guitar and Mike plays bass in Air-Sea Dolphin. They haven't officially released any new songs since 2017, but they've played some shows live very recently as well. They actually have some really good songs, and they've also made an official Scratch project for one of their songs!

Bells (Song for Geoff Walden)
Bells (Song for Geoff Walden) Official Scratch Project (With art by The Brothers Chaps)

► INTERSTELLAR-TV ◄

“Meatballs, tasty”

~Jonathan Coulton

pkhead
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Homestar Runner

Interstellar-TV wrote:

Don't know if you guys know this, but the Brothers Chaps are in a band! Matt plays guitar and Mike plays bass in Air-Sea Dolphin. They haven't officially released any new songs since 2017, but they've played some shows live very recently as well. They actually have some really good songs, and they've also made an official Scratch project for one of their songs!

Bells (Song for Geoff Walden)
Bells (Song for Geoff Walden) Official Scratch Project (With art by The Brothers Chaps)
Woah on Scratch!?!?! Pretty neat
secondimension
Scratcher
100+ posts

Homestar Runner

BUG SWALLOW

Phineas and Ferb
the original signature has been buried because it is no longer relevant

hide this image in your signature to scare the purple complainers: https://u.cubeupload.com/phineasandferb/IMG1880.gif
if you see anyone on the forums using bypassed words, do not listen to them
pkhead
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Homestar Runner

i watched homestar runner for 5 hours straight yesterday after remembering that it existed. The show is funnier than i remember it to be. and now that i have my own computer (did not have one four years ago) i can watch the toons not on youtube in FullP, minus the audio quality because Flash.

someday I will do a little trolling and tell someone they said doing when they said doing because it may can or may can not be very funny
FA86
Scratcher
100+ posts

Homestar Runner

anyone get the new Dangeresque game on Steam?

Interstellar-TV
Scratcher
100+ posts

Homestar Runner

I've been on a real HR rewatch kick lately, and I've only now just realized how much the Sbemail “Theme Song” lives rent-free in my head.

“Do you make butt at your current job? Do you want to make twice butt?”
“I got 14 degrees while on my lunch take!”
“Do you wanna cut your own arm off?”

Classic Sbemail, one of the best for sure.

► INTERSTELLAR-TV ◄

“Meatballs, tasty”

~Jonathan Coulton

CoolGuyBug
Scratcher
100+ posts

Homestar Runner

Interstellar-TV wrote:

I've been on a real HR rewatch kick lately, and I've only now just realized how much the Sbemail “Theme Song” lives rent-free in my head.

I rewatched it recently too and had that exact realization! I actually think it'd be a pretty good introduction to the site, since the theme songs introduce the show's premise and it's not too reliant on inside jokes.

Interstellar-TV
Scratcher
100+ posts

Homestar Runner

CoolGuyBug wrote:

Interstellar-TV wrote:

I rewatched it recently too and had that exact realization! I actually think it'd be a pretty good introduction to the site, since the theme songs introduce the show's premise and it's not too reliant on inside jokes.
That's true! It's hard to find a good entry point into the series, but as far as they go, that would make a pretty solid one.

► INTERSTELLAR-TV ◄

“Meatballs, tasty”

~Jonathan Coulton

baleeted
Scratcher
77 posts

Homestar Runner

countryside the burninating

FA86
Scratcher
100+ posts

Homestar Runner

pkhead wrote:

FA86 wrote:

anyone get the new Dangeresque game on Steam?
there's a new Dangeresque game on steam??
I gotta get my hands on this !!
yes!

hard to figure out, but once things click together things get funny and fun to play. Something I never wouldve taken from point and click unless it was Videlectrix themselves!

Interstellar-TV
Scratcher
100+ posts

Homestar Runner

What are your Homestar Runner comfort watches? What just works on a bad day?

Mine:
- Anything with the Drive-Thru Whale
- Anything with Senor Cardgage
- Date Nite
- A Folky Tale
- Sbemail 155: Theme Song
- Sbemail 202: Imaginary

► INTERSTELLAR-TV ◄

“Meatballs, tasty”

~Jonathan Coulton

Interstellar-TV
Scratcher
100+ posts

Homestar Runner

Todaybor Day is Labor Day!
Here's a lil' Labor Dabor bump!

► INTERSTELLAR-TV ◄

“Meatballs, tasty”

~Jonathan Coulton

among-friend
Scratcher
8 posts

Homestar Runner

StarscreamClone wrote:

NoxSpooth wrote:

StarscreamClone wrote:

NoxSpooth wrote:

generosity wrote:

I am of the opinion that this was (rip) one of the funniest cartoons ever
Yeah…

R.I.P.

They could've at least told us why it stopped…
Strong Bad quit, Strong Sad moved on to greater things, Homestar demanded more Flushy Push- I mean Fluffy Puff Marshmallows, Marzipan said it wasn't environmentally friendly, Strong Mad broke the animating equipment, the Cheat was fired (he stole something), Bubs went out of business, the King of Town moved to an all-you-can-eat buffet (he ran out of food), and Homsar said (quote): “Daaa! The soil ain't ripe no more!”

Everything makes sense now!

Maybe they're planning on starting it again (although, I doubt it).

According to the Wiki, there's a tweet made on February 27, 2012, that says:
“Someday, when you least expect it…”
Quick! Email Strong Bad the best thing you can think of!
THEY ARE RELEASING NEW HOLIDAY TOONS AND THEY JUST RELEASED A GAME
among-friend
Scratcher
8 posts

Homestar Runner

I AM ACTUALLY DOING A HOMESTAR RUNNER MARATHON RIGHT NOW