Discuss Scratch

Zoe_Trent1
Scratcher
13 posts

Stop banning users unfairly.

Firedrake969 wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

Firedrake969 wrote:

I looked through the project, and it may have been because you said “the mods will hate you”–they don't. They will just ban you if they feel you need a ban.

Also, you really shouldn't try to get around a ban with another account…

As I said… I have changed. Also, for those not aware, my previous accounts were deleted by the ST, the first two because of my behavior, the third because I asked them to (I didn't like my username).
How does that change the fact that you got around the deletions with a new account?
Wow they banned u cuz of not liking ur user what a classic sorry just had to say dat

Zoe_trent1
auspiciousTrickster
Scratcher
76 posts

Related: This thread, which explains some of the reasoning when the ST judges bans http://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/45962/
It's pretty interesting to read and might prove useful to deciding if you support this suggestion or not.
It is difficult to disappoint the many people that are calling for the unblocking of any particular Scratcher. But your analysis is essentially correct. While we are sad to have to take such an action, blocks are placed for good reasons that we feel are in the best interests of the Scratch community. Some situations are so serious that we need to know that they are being addressed in real life before we remove the block. In cases like that, we need to hear from a parent, guardian, counselor, or some other responsible adult.

Such actions may not seem “fair” to the outside observer - but those folks need to realize that they may not know all the facts. Any information that is given out on the internet is suspect and difficult to verify. Petition projects, comments, studios and so on really have no bearing on the case and are not going to sway our decision. If people making those petitions cross the line of revealing personal information or making disrespectful remarks, they may themselves be subject to a warning or an account block.

Basically I don't think your post alone will change the ST's mind on how they decide bans (but it was well worded and mature of you to write it this way).
One of my friends was banned from their main account, making another one without pretending to be another person but they specifically emailed Scratch to tell them it was to keep an eye on the friend's colouring contest.

Personally, I think some users take bans too seriously, sometimes because they're young and might get upset to find that one day, they can't log in and get a serious-sounding message. On an old account years ago I've been banned before, and all I did was wait it out without complaining (I wasn't too bothered, really). I'm a little suspect about you being banned more than once, permanently, sometimes, but if you want to rejoin the community then just make a new account and be happy with it? Have a quiet, fresh start because you've been able to make a new account, since the ST are probably professional enough to not hold grudges on users, even if they do things that get them banned over and over again.

Last edited by auspiciousTrickster (Aug. 13, 2014 10:36:39)

joshuaho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

xerneastrainer11 wrote:

I know errrr and ST it's not fair that u banned [removed] I know your probaly gonna ignore me but she posted that Elmo project about killing Elmo cuz she thought it was funny and that very UNFAIR of you she was doing her own thing until you banned her!
All bans are given for a reason. This site is targeted for all ages, so we don't want anything inappropriate on this site. Posting inappropriate projects definitely wasn't ok. The user very likely had been warned multiple times before the ban - it was her decision on whether or not she wanted to follow the Community Guidelines. Now, it is up to her whether or not she wants to send an appeal for her account to be unblocked - not something others (that are not involved with the matter) can do.

Last edited by joshuaho (Aug. 13, 2014 20:38:19)

College student studying Communication and Fire Technology, communication lab tutor, guitar and piano player, perfectionist, and just some guy who regularly eats and trains physically to stay healthy.
Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

This topic seems to be turning into a lightning rod for disgruntled blocked users. The result is that a number of account issues are being discussed in a public forum that really should be discussed in private directly with the Scratch Team. As a result, I'm going to close this topic.

Please remember that the Scratch Team does not ever block for “no reason”. Account blocks are put in place to protect the community and make sure that the Community Guidelines are followed. We are happy to lift blocks when we feel we can trust the blocked person to follow the Community Guidelines. If you have been blocked, please contact the Scratch Team using the appeal form on the blocked account page - or by using the Contact Us link at the bottom of every page. If you are not the blocked person - then please don't contact us unless you have new information that you feel we should know. Thanks and Scratch On!

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;