Discuss Scratch

SliptchSnaptch
New to Scratch
5 posts

Snap! user discussion

I like making the block with Snap, and making software but i cant to convert my Scratch 2.0 projects to Snap projects. I have created an block deleter! Watch out:

Delete block

But to see it my image posted in my Google+ please visit this link: https://plus.google.com/b/105760789844022021519/105760789844022021519/posts/gouAM7SfaWP
SliptchSnaptch
New to Scratch
5 posts

Snap! user discussion

SliptchSnaptch wrote:

But to see it my image posted in my Google+ please visit this link: https://plus.google.com/b/105760789844022021519/105760789844022021519/posts/gouAM7SfaWP
CatIsFluffy
Scratcher
100+ posts

Snap! user discussion

In the matrix watcher, stuff like 2.2222222e-16 looks like 2.22222. Please fix, it's really confusing.
xly
Scratcher
100+ posts

Snap! user discussion

bharvey wrote:

xly wrote:

ML relies “only” on “scalar products” of vectors.
I have desesperatedly tried to make a Fast SP on the model of your Fast Blocks
If you have fast map from Jens, all you need is fast combine, and then you should get fast performance with a specific fast dot-product.
Thank you Brian, it is fixed. One has just to know how to get a Snap! list into JS and how to get one out.
bharvey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Snap! user discussion

CatIsFluffy wrote:

In the matrix watcher, stuff like 2.2222222e-16 looks like 2.22222. Please fix, it's really confusing.
You can resize the watcher (by its bottom right corner) and then resize the columns (by dragging between the column headers).

bharvey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Snap! user discussion

SliptchSnaptch wrote:

… but i cant to convert my Scratch 2.0 projects to Snap projects.
Does https://djsrv.github.io/Snapin8r2/ not work for you? If not, please post a pointer to a shared Scratch project. Thanks.

_nix
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Snap! user discussion

xly wrote:

Thank you Brian, it is fixed. One has just to know how to get a Snap! list into JS and how to get one out.
That's not too hard. Try something like this:

══ trans autistic lesbian enbydoggirls // 16 17 18 19 20, she/they
sparrows one word to the paragraph // <3 // ~(quasar) nebula
Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Snap! user discussion

_nix wrote:

Just note that will modify the original list which might not be what you intended.

Not yet a Knight of the Mu Calculus.
xly
Scratcher
100+ posts

Snap! user discussion

Jonathan50 wrote:

_nix wrote:

Just note that will modify the original list which might not be what you intended.

It took me a while to understand that we just have to know the 2 instructions, one to get a Snap! list into JS and the other one to give back a JS array to Snap!. In the meantime I've modified the project with Fast maps (even to initialize the matrices) + turbo mode+warp, the run time has been divided by 5 !!!

Last edited by xly (Feb. 13, 2018 22:32:50)

Jens
Scratcher
100+ posts

Snap! user discussion

Hi Xavier,
I've got some good news for the kind of data intensive computation you're doing in your ML project: These past days I've worked on a first prototype of a JIT compiler that converts certain reporters into native JS on the fly. If you use this feature in my “fast-sort/map” blocks these operations now become so fast I can do intensive pixel manipulations on full-sized costumes almost instantly. In fact, they become so fast I can even animate them. I'm excited to make this preliminary experiment available to you with the upcoming release this Sunday/Monday. With speed like this media computation and ML projects will run as if you were running them on native JS. Gonna be fun!
bharvey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Snap! user discussion

Jens wrote:

If you use this feature in my “fast-sort/map” blocks these operations now become so fast I can do intensive pixel manipulations on full-sized costumes almost instantly.
Oh that's awesome! Which blocks? Why don't I know about this?

scratchmouse
Scratcher
70 posts

Snap! user discussion

Jens wrote:

Hi Xavier,
I've got some good news

this preliminary experiment available to you
It means it will be available to all Snap! users, not just Xavier, I guess.

˙˙˙ ˙˙ ˙Ignore˙ ˙˙ ˙˙˙

… .. ˇˇˇ ˇˇˇ ˇˇˇ ˇˇˇ .. …
::: :: … ˇˇˇ ˇˇˇ … :: :::
xly
Scratcher
100+ posts

Snap! user discussion

Jens wrote:

Hi Xavier,
I've got some good news for the kind of data intensive computation you're doing in your ML project: These past days I've worked on a first prototype of a JIT compiler that converts certain reporters into native JS on the fly. If you use this feature in my “fast-sort/map” blocks these operations now become so fast I can do intensive pixel manipulations on full-sized costumes almost instantly. In fact, they become so fast I can even animate them. I'm excited to make this preliminary experiment available to you with the upcoming release this Sunday/Monday. With speed like this media computation and ML projects will run as if you were running them on native JS. Gonna be fun!

Hi Jens !
I'm eager to see that
bharvey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Snap! user discussion

scratchmouse wrote:

It means it will be available to all Snap! users, not just Xavier, I guess.
Yes. I saw a demo this morning. It's amazing! But, just to warn you, it's not a finished feature. Right now, it knows how to compile only expressions made of primitive reporters, and a couple of other limitations. So it'll be a hidden (shift-click-gear) feature until it's really solid. But it makes mapping over an enormous data set pretty much instantaneous. I'm psyched because it'll really help eliminate “why aren't we learning a real language” from students, and because with it we can do a better job of covering data in BJC.

Jens
Scratcher
100+ posts

Snap! user discussion

functions. It actually compiles functions :-)
(rings with named parameters, not merely expressions)
bharvey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Snap! user discussion

Jens wrote:

functions. It actually compiles functions :-)
(rings with named parameters, not merely expressions)
Right, sorry, I meant “the bodies of the functions can only be expressions built out of primitive reporters.”

bharvey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Snap! user discussion

Hey! We're back on the air with the new cloud server. Check it out!

xly
Scratcher
100+ posts

Snap! user discussion

@Jens, Brian and others…
Pls find my 3rd ML model. It uses as much as possible FastMap blocks:

https://snap.berkeley.edu/snapsource/snap.html#present:Username=xleroy&ProjectName=00-matrix

I'm not sure that Jens enhancements to come will bring a significant gain to its processing time.
ML applis are more processor- intensive than file access-intensive.
The model shows that ML is (uniquely ?) based on vector & matrix operations. That's all !!!
GPU initially designed to cope with video games, based also on massive vectorial operations, are unavoidable for real ML applications.

Last edited by xly (Feb. 18, 2018 10:23:27)

badatprogrammingibe
Scratcher
500+ posts

Snap! user discussion

Hello.
May I ask you if you (the developer and copyright holders of snap) can license this under the GPL, instead of the AGPL.
I consider the AGPL to be harmful, and as a result, I cannot use snap at the moment.
This would change however if snap was licensed under the GPL.

Please consider this, as I will not use Snap until this happens.
Jens
Scratcher
100+ posts

Snap! user discussion

Can you elaborate some more wrt license issue?
Also, what is your intended use of the Snap! source code? How can we help you make it happen?
I'm sure we'll find a solution!