Discuss Scratch

garnet-chan
Scratcher
100+ posts

When will ST add dark mode?

I've been staring at the white UI for too long, now my eyesight problems are getting worse, and I have headaches :(. This is an update Scratch needs, but the ST just won't add.

team chicken

garnet-chan - bad posts since who-knows-when | #UnbanScratch

iTopic and Former Sticky owner | Creator of #UnbanScratch | Girl | Supreme Member of TMMT |
Basic88
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Never
The process is long, and adding dark mode is no easy task. It may come in another year.

I have moved to @BrowserExtension
garnet-chan
Scratcher
100+ posts

Basic88 wrote:

Never
The process is long, and adding dark mode is no easy task. It may come in another year.
It's literally adding a toggle and replacing a bit of CSS. If I even knew regular CSS I would do it myself.

team chicken

iTopic and Former Sticky owner | Creator of #UnbanScratch | Girl | Supreme Member of TMMT |
BobzGamesAlt
Scratcher
500+ posts

Basic88 wrote:

Never
Would swapping out some hex values really be that difficult?
Most of the Chrome add ons for Scratch dark mode are meer kilabytes.

Last edited by BobzGamesAlt (Aug. 24, 2020 00:27:31)

Last edited by kaj (Tomorrow 00:00:00)

moisture.png

fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Basic88 wrote:

Never
It isn't rocket science, it's a button that makes the colors dark.

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0
mtech22
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I hope soon. Probably not though, they don't seem to be rushed.

aII toasters toast toast, but what happens when there are no longer toasters being produced? will their technology simply become obsolete, with humans moving onto bigger, better things? will toast become a distant memory, written in textbooks of the future as foods us simpler generations ate? who's to say! society is constantly moving, changing, evolving, ideas being built upon, improved upon, theories being proven or disproven. are we but a blip on the timeline? sure, our names may not be remembered, but that's not the point. you can make a change. you can make a difference. you can make the world better, even if you don't know yet. and the first step is to go for it. even if you are afraid of failure. going back to the example of toasters, do you know off the top of your head who invented them? no? have you used one? probably. so, even if you don't remember my name, if I was able to help awnser your question, that is enough. if I was able to help you, even in the slightest way, this could push you to continue with scratch and not give up after the program crashes, and maybe one day learn other programming languages and change the world. everything is a cause and effect reaction, new inventions lead to the technology of the future, and even as the generations of the past are slowly forgotten, their influence lives on to this day, affecting how the world eventually turned out and how it will be for generations to come.

and, without toasters, we wouldn't have toast.
Basic88
Scratcher
1000+ posts

fdreerf wrote:

Basic88 wrote:

Never
It isn't rocket science, it's a button that makes the colors dark.
We also have Browser Extensions that cannot be linked.

I have moved to @BrowserExtension
mtech22
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I hope soon, hopefully in the next update. Apparently blue is a bad color for you eyes.
and it gives me headaches too :(

aII toasters toast toast, but what happens when there are no longer toasters being produced? will their technology simply become obsolete, with humans moving onto bigger, better things? will toast become a distant memory, written in textbooks of the future as foods us simpler generations ate? who's to say! society is constantly moving, changing, evolving, ideas being built upon, improved upon, theories being proven or disproven. are we but a blip on the timeline? sure, our names may not be remembered, but that's not the point. you can make a change. you can make a difference. you can make the world better, even if you don't know yet. and the first step is to go for it. even if you are afraid of failure. going back to the example of toasters, do you know off the top of your head who invented them? no? have you used one? probably. so, even if you don't remember my name, if I was able to help awnser your question, that is enough. if I was able to help you, even in the slightest way, this could push you to continue with scratch and not give up after the program crashes, and maybe one day learn other programming languages and change the world. everything is a cause and effect reaction, new inventions lead to the technology of the future, and even as the generations of the past are slowly forgotten, their influence lives on to this day, affecting how the world eventually turned out and how it will be for generations to come.

and, without toasters, we wouldn't have toast.
garnet-chan
Scratcher
100+ posts

mtech22 wrote:

I hope soon, hopefully in the next update. Apparently blue is a bad color for you eyes.
and it gives me headaches too :(
yes im getting a migraine or something right now and i. hate. it.

team chicken

zahmbie1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Basic88 wrote:

Never
hmmm
he is kinda right
making dark mode for every single thing on the scratch website?
No easy task
(code.org hehe)
i can imagine the CSS

DarkScratchProject.CSS
DarkForum.CSS
DarkForumThread.CSS
DarkProfile.CSS
DarkMyStuff.CSS
DarkMessages.CSS
DarkHomePage.CSS

Last edited by zahmbie1 (Aug. 24, 2020 00:44:56)

garnet-chan
Scratcher
100+ posts

zahmbie1 wrote:

Basic88 wrote:

Never
hmmm
he is kinda right
making dark mode for every single thing on the scratch website?
No easy task
(code.org hehe)
it's literally just changing the UI that's on every page. you do it once, you cure my headaches, and I will be eternally grateful.

team chicken

Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

To be honest, if you suffer from headaches, then maybe it would be a good idea to spend some time away from the computer screen. Regardless of whether Scratch has a dark mode, too much computer time isn't a good thing.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021. I reached 20,000 forum posts on June 24th 2024.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
SONIC_ULTIMATE23
Scratcher
100+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

To be honest, if you suffer from headaches, then maybe it would be a good idea to spend some time away from the computer screen. Regardless of whether Scratch has a dark mode, too much computer time isn't a good thing.
ok, but when will dark mode be added? roblox, yt and other sites have it too, so people who suffer it can be happy, yay
Vocaliod__Fukase
Scratcher
56 posts

Yes I agree that Scratch DOES need a dark mode. Staring at white and blue all day hurts my eyes and the white is kinda blinding!!

Check out my projects and animations!!

Hello! I'm Fukase! I'm a Japanese animator who takes on too many projects!! I am currently doing many series and i'd like to see people watching my series!! Please stop by my profile and drop some comments!!!
-Zyte-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

lyfe is gud.

I think the devs are probably not working on it.
They have a lot to do, but it's not that hard… right?
The userstyle I'm using does make things nicer but it's not perfect.

Maybe next year? Maybe?

its been a while
BobzGamesAlt
Scratcher
500+ posts

It really wouldn't be that difficult to put in. As I stated earlier in the thread, a few hex values need to be changed, and the Chrome add-ons that already do this are only around 20 kb.

Last edited by kaj (Tomorrow 00:00:00)

moisture.png

uwv
Scratcher
1000+ posts

garnet-chan wrote:

I've been staring at the white UI for too long, now my eyesight problems are getting worse, and I have headaches :(. This is an update Scratch needs, but the ST just won't add.
dont use scratch /s

fr tho, make a userscript or find one, i cant link any or ban but there are some out there

and i doubt the st will ever implement dark mode

Last edited by uwv (Aug. 24, 2020 04:32:28)

i use arch linux (btw) with the linux zen kernel and enjoy writing silly things in silly languages using silly frameworks
ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

Yes

They simply won't for some strange reason. There's a huge reason why 80% of game development software has a dark mode, or defaults to a gray UI.

*insert anti ST rant here*

Infrequently active.

It feels weird to see how far we've come. I hope you're well, wherever you are!
uwv
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ResExsention wrote:

Yes

They simply won't for some strange reason. There's a huge reason why 80% of game development software has a dark mode, or defaults to a gray UI.

99% of everything has dark ui
even simple sites

i use arch linux (btw) with the linux zen kernel and enjoy writing silly things in silly languages using silly frameworks
ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

uwv wrote:

ResExsention wrote:

Yes

99% of everything has dark ui
even simple sites

It's tragic that people have to resort to userstyles to get this simple functionality.

It's not just long hours in front of the computer/

Infrequently active.

It feels weird to see how far we've come. I hope you're well, wherever you are!