Discuss Scratch

64lu
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch and China (Discussion on Recent Website Block)

Basic88 wrote:

DownsGameClub wrote:

garnet-chan wrote:

64lu wrote:

Basic88 wrote:

Watching the video, I see that they keep pointing at “Hong Kong and Taiwan are not listed as merged into China”, so maybe we may have to do a few things to unban scratch.
I believe there is a suggestion on GitHub to change country to location
It's already changed.
I think that's already been a thing. At registration it might be a bit different.
It is different:
-pic
wait, so was this changed in 3.0?
or was it always inconsistent?
leahcimto
Scratcher
1000+ posts

64lu wrote:

-snip-
I am pretty sure it always said country at registration, but I am not sure about the account settings.
Basic88
Scratcher
1000+ posts

leahcimto wrote:

64lu wrote:

-snip-
I am pretty sure it always said country at registration, but I am not sure about the account settings.
There used to be a way to register through the 2.0 register page in 3.0, but the ST has since patched it. Thus, I can't screenshot what that page looked like.

Last edited by Basic88 (Aug. 14, 2020 19:03:44)

I have moved to @BrowserExtension
garnet-chan
Scratcher
100+ posts

Basic88 wrote:

leahcimto wrote:

64lu wrote:

-snip-
There used to be a way to register through the 2.0 register page in 3.0, but the ST has since patched it. Thus, I can't screenshot what that page looked like.

Yes, it says “What country do you live in” at sign-up.

team chicken

garnet-chan - bad posts since who-knows-when | #UnbanScratch

iTopic and Former Sticky owner | Creator of #UnbanScratch | Girl | Supreme Member of TMMT |
Basic88
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Scratch Team hasn't posted yet

mtech22
Scratcher
1000+ posts

This seems similar to how TikTok is being banned…. hmmm

aII toasters toast toast, but what happens when there are no longer toasters being produced? will their technology simply become obsolete, with humans moving onto bigger, better things? will toast become a distant memory, written in textbooks of the future as foods us simpler generations ate? who's to say! society is constantly moving, changing, evolving, ideas being built upon, improved upon, theories being proven or disproven. are we but a blip on the timeline? sure, our names may not be remembered, but that's not the point. you can make a change. you can make a difference. you can make the world better, even if you don't know yet. and the first step is to go for it. even if you are afraid of failure. going back to the example of toasters, do you know off the top of your head who invented them? no? have you used one? probably. so, even if you don't remember my name, if I was able to help awnser your question, that is enough. if I was able to help you, even in the slightest way, this could push you to continue with scratch and not give up after the program crashes, and maybe one day learn other programming languages and change the world. everything is a cause and effect reaction, new inventions lead to the technology of the future, and even as the generations of the past are slowly forgotten, their influence lives on to this day, affecting how the world eventually turned out and how it will be for generations to come.

and, without toasters, we wouldn't have toast.
Basic88
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DancingNekoGirl wrote:

Couldn't you use a VPN?
The government of China blocks VPN websites, as stated by @LankyBox01.

mtech22
Scratcher
1000+ posts

garnet-chan wrote:

Basic88 wrote:

leahcimto wrote:

64lu wrote:

-snip-

Yes, it says “What country do you live in” at sign-up.
Some people can have accounts with “Location not Given.”
Also, you can fake your account location. But they could technichally ban the site using the same way Wi-Fi and different browser extensions can. I'm going to look into this and see if i can find any articles on google.

aII toasters toast toast, but what happens when there are no longer toasters being produced? will their technology simply become obsolete, with humans moving onto bigger, better things? will toast become a distant memory, written in textbooks of the future as foods us simpler generations ate? who's to say! society is constantly moving, changing, evolving, ideas being built upon, improved upon, theories being proven or disproven. are we but a blip on the timeline? sure, our names may not be remembered, but that's not the point. you can make a change. you can make a difference. you can make the world better, even if you don't know yet. and the first step is to go for it. even if you are afraid of failure. going back to the example of toasters, do you know off the top of your head who invented them? no? have you used one? probably. so, even if you don't remember my name, if I was able to help awnser your question, that is enough. if I was able to help you, even in the slightest way, this could push you to continue with scratch and not give up after the program crashes, and maybe one day learn other programming languages and change the world. everything is a cause and effect reaction, new inventions lead to the technology of the future, and even as the generations of the past are slowly forgotten, their influence lives on to this day, affecting how the world eventually turned out and how it will be for generations to come.

mtech22
Scratcher
1000+ posts

But Lotus_Flow seems to still be active. There wasn't anything on google except for a discussion from 2017, and they'd probably mention it at some point. But there isn't any way to really tell as… people can fake their locale.

bubbly_513
Scratcher
14 posts

ThatOneWeirdDude wrote:

china ccp doesnt deserve respect but ok
i think that generalizing a whole group of people based on one thing is rude but ok

Za-Chary wrote:

singing is amazing, but no one is confident enough to do it, and that is a shame
Yeetoburro1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Basic88 wrote:

I'm honestly surprised by that

mtech22
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Yeetoburro1 wrote:

Basic88 wrote:

Wouldn't they themselves know if china blocked their site?

Flowermanvista
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bubbly_513 wrote:

ThatOneWeirdDude wrote:

china ccp doesnt deserve respect but ok
i think that generalizing a whole group of people based on one thing is rude but ok
CCP stands for Chinese Communist Party. It contains all the important government people that have power, and it's responsible for a laundry list of awful things, including the “reeducation”, sterilization, and maybe genocide of Uyghurs.

(edit: corrected “Uyghur Muslims” to just “Uyghur”)

Last edited by Flowermanvista (Aug. 14, 2020 20:44:28)

Add a SPOOKY SKELETON to your project!

The Scratch 3 Project Save Troubleshooter - find out why your project won't save

ST, Please Add A Warning When A Size Limit Is Exceeded

My Dumb Creations - THE BEST ANIMATION | The Windows 98 Experience (made on Windows 98) | nobody cares about Me… | the2000 Reveals His New Profile Picture | Not Dumb Creations - Ten Years
Ctrl+Shift+Down for more…
Do evil kumquats keep eating your signature? Assert your dominance and eat the evil kumquats. Did you know that kumquats are only about the size of an olive?
Basic88
Scratcher
1000+ posts

mtech22 wrote:

Yeetoburro1 wrote:

Basic88 wrote:

Wouldn't they themselves know if china blocked their site?
They know. I don't know what they're doing though.

PrincessPandaLover
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Basic88 wrote:

DownsGameClub wrote:

garnet-chan wrote:

64lu wrote:

Basic88 wrote:

Watching the video, I see that they keep pointing at “Hong Kong and Taiwan are not listed as merged into China”, so maybe we may have to do a few things to unban scratch.
I believe there is a suggestion on GitHub to change country to location
It's already changed.
I think that's already been a thing. At registration it might be a bit different.
It is different:
Change to “What region do you live in?”
Basic88
Scratcher
1000+ posts

PrincessPandaLover wrote:

Change to “What region do you live in?”
That was suggested on GitHub today if I remember correctly.

4096bits
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Yeetoburro1 wrote:

Basic88 wrote:

A mod already merged the topic, so they probably know this issue is present, but they have not posted in this topic.
ayy 101th post

Last edited by 4096bits (Aug. 14, 2020 20:56:00)

I've moved on to Snap!. Click here to learn more. No, it's not a joke.
mtech22
Scratcher
1000+ posts

PrincessPandaLover wrote:

snip
What do you mean by region?

-InsanityPlays-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

kinda ironic how china banned scratch the same day apple banned fortnite am i rite guys

Welcome to my signature!
I've moved accounts. Anyway, did this post help you? Go follow me on my new account!
Today's Links: Scratch 4.0 Leaked Information, Astronomical - The Third, The Forum Community
follow me on scratch or i am sad, subscribe to my YouTube channel or bad luck for the rest of your life
My Final Shoutout: hekcer because in computer science class, he is the hekcerman
-InsanityPlays- Fan Studio! (closed) | Astronomical - The Third | Best of -InsanityPlays- 2020
my channel, my website, ctrl+shift+down for more STUFF

2020's Advent Collection:

more STUFF