Discuss Scratch

Maximouse
Scratcher
1000+ posts

isnt this a coding website!?!

BearSlothCoding wrote:

People need to feel welcome, and any opinions that aren't that will be removed.
People need to feel welcome. This includes people who don't agree with BLM (or anything else the Scratch Team supports).

This is Maximouse's signature. Learn more about signatures.
scratch978654
Scratcher
100+ posts

Maximouse wrote:

BearSlothCoding wrote:

People need to feel welcome. This includes people who don't agree with BLM (or anything else the Scratch Team supports).
Absolutely agree.

I will be temporarily participating on this site on April 1 2021 then leaving again
fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Maximouse wrote:

BearSlothCoding wrote:

Those people are actively attacking another group of people though.
By that logic, we should allow alt-right in order to make people feel welcome.

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0
BearSlothCoding
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Maximouse wrote:

BearSlothCoding wrote:

This really is a double-edged sword for the ST, so that's where the “Be respectful” part of the Community Guidelines comes into play. Being anti-BLM is not respectful to black people and it also isn't welcoming, therefore it breaks the CG's. Being anti-LGBTQ+ is not respectful or welcoming to LGBTQ+ either, so it breaks the CG's.

scratch978654 wrote:

Maximouse wrote:

BearSlothCoding wrote:

Absolutely agree.
Why? You want to welcome people who are racist, and treat people bad because of their race? Let them tell people that they don't matter because of what they were born with?

Last edited by BearSlothCoding (Aug. 5, 2020 15:18:21)

scratch978654
Scratcher
100+ posts

BearSlothCoding wrote:

Maximouse wrote:

BearSlothCoding wrote:

This really is a double-edged sword for the ST, so that's where the “Be respectful” part of the Community Guidelines comes into play. Being anti-BLM is not respectful to black people and it also isn't welcoming, therefore it breaks the CG's. Being anti-LGBTQ+ is not respectful or welcoming to LGBTQ+ either, so it breaks the CG's.

scratch978654 wrote:

Maximouse wrote:

BearSlothCoding wrote:

Absolutely agree.
Why? You want to welcome people who are racist, and treat people bad because of their race? Let them tell people that they don't matter because of what they were born with?
You don't want to welcome anti-crime people? Because people who don't support criminals are being “disrespectful” to criminals?
And LGBTQ+ is a choice, not something you're born with.

I will be temporarily participating on this site on April 1 2021 then leaving again
fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

scratch978654 wrote:

You don't want to welcome anti-crime people? Because people who don't support criminals are being “disrespectful” to criminals?
And LGBTQ+ is a choice, not something you're born with.
1.) Not all black people and BLM supporters are criminals, and
2.) that's just bigotry.

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0
Maximouse
Scratcher
1000+ posts

fdreerf wrote:

Am I actively attacking anyone if I say “I don't agree with movement X”?

scratch978654
Scratcher
100+ posts

Also, this extends to the ST clearly showing liberal bias (again my views match with the ST but people who aren't liberal are being sidelined)
EDIT: Ninja'd by Maximouse

Last edited by scratch978654 (Aug. 5, 2020 15:26:12)

Maximouse
Scratcher
1000+ posts

fdreerf wrote:

2.) that's just bigotry.
You are being disrespectful right now. Just like when you said religions are fantasy some time ago. Please don't do this.

fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Maximouse wrote:

fdreerf wrote:

Am I actively attacking anyone if I say “I don't agree with movement X”?
If it the movement is something like “end racial discrimination” then yes.

Maximouse wrote:

fdreerf wrote:

2.) that's just bigotry.
You are being disrespectful right now. Just like when you said religions are fantasy some time ago. Please don't do this.
LGBTQ being a choice and not something you are born with is flat-out wrong. You can choose to become LGBTQ, but in most cases people are born with it.

Last edited by fdreerf (Aug. 5, 2020 15:30:30)

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0
Maximouse
Scratcher
1000+ posts

fdreerf wrote:

Not supporting a movement to end racial discrimination doesn't yet mean you support racial discrimination – it just means you don't support that particular movement. And even if you do support racial discrimination, you should be allowed to tell that if worded in a respectful way (i.e. not saying it's “good” but just that it's your opinion).

Anyway, I don't think arguing about politics on a topic saying Scratch should not be about politics is a good idea.

Maximouse
Scratcher
1000+ posts

fdreerf wrote:

LGBTQ being a choice and not something you are born with is flat-out wrong. You can choose to become LGBTQ, but in most cases people are born with it.
This could be discussed a lot but as I said, people who don't agree with LGBTQ exist and you should be respectful to them too. You aren't.

scratch978654
Scratcher
100+ posts

Maximouse wrote:

fdreerf wrote:

Not supporting a movement to end racial discrimination doesn't yet mean you support racial discrimination – it just means you don't support that particular movement. And even if you do support racial discrimination, you should be allowed to tell that if worded in a respectful way (i.e. not saying it's “good” but just that it's your opinion).

Anyway, I don't think arguing about politics on a topic saying Scratch should not be about politics is a good idea.
Exactly.
Maybe you don't support the movement because you think all lives should matter, or because you misinterpreted it.
People who don't follow the ST's political views get muted…

DadExplainsIt
New to Scratch
1 post

As well as being a coding website, this place is also an online community where people can express their thoughts and feelings.
Maximouse
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DadExplainsIt wrote:

As well as being a coding website, this place is also an online community where people can express their thoughts and feelings.
They should be able to, but some can't. See above posts.

scratchykit5743
Scratcher
1000+ posts

This is not a political site. This is a coding site with freedom and a social aspect and semi strict community guide lines.

psst! Hit ctrl + shift + down to see the rest!

For whatever reason mister Jon Arbuckle got removed ;-; I'll find a replacement GIF later

Anyways hi, I'm SK

I've been on this site since I was 10 years old. I am currently 15

I have a major addiction to sweet tea and draw a crap ton of stuff in my free time (not all of which is scratch appropriate). I post whatever I want to on the main site and mostly manage the collaborations directory and answer questions in QaS on the forums

I have over 2000 posts lol, a huge chunk of them being from when I was 11-12 during the height of COVID

If by any chance the post you''re reading is from early 2021 or before, please forget that post exists since it is cringey

This is Kimikat.
     (OwO)
She protecc my siggy, and has been since 2020
Maximouse
Scratcher
1000+ posts

scratchykit5743 wrote:

This is not a political site. This is a coding site with freedom and a social aspect and semi strict community guide lines.
The freedom is questionable though.

Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Scratch is welcoming to people of all backgrounds and we want people to be able to share things that are important to their lives. You are welcome to share projects that celebrate your own identity, but you are not welcome to share content that puts down the identities of others. Please see the Community Guidelines for more information.

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;