Discuss Scratch

Cool--Scratcher
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch Link doesn't work

I've been trying for 4 hours straight to get BBC Micro:bit to work, and it does, but Scratch Link is a broken and useless program, making my Micro:bit lose its purpose. When I try and connect the Micro:bit to Scratch, it says that a device isn't found, even though it's literally right there. It, as I found out, was completely because of Scratch Link. Since I'm 12, I'm asked a lot why I try so hard to do things like these, and my answer is that it's interesting. However, even though I have the right specs and everything:
My browser / operating system: Windows NT 10.0, Chrome 84.0.4147.89, No Flash version detected
…it still fails to work. When I attempt to open Scratch Link, it gives me the following error message:

“Scratch Link was unable to start because port 20110 is already in use.

This means Scratch Link is already running or another application is using that port.

This application will now exit.

Details about the conflicting program:
Process Name: ScratchLink
Window Title:
File Name: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ScratchFoundation.1711508CFD202_1.3.57.0_neutral__wmbdy4q6dbx4t\ScratchLink\ScratchLink.exe
Process ID: 8644
TCP Port: 20110”

Hello?! What do you mean, a port is already in use?? All that is connected is my Micro:bit (USB), a keyboard and mouse (sharing a USB) and wireless, bluetooth headphones. I tried troubleshooting on the Scratch website - nothing. I tried reinstalling Scratch Link - nothing. I even tried restarting my computer, and still - nothing.
This is a huge letdown to me, as I really wanted to attempt to use Micro:bit as a controller, and perhaps integrate it into an existing game, but now I can't…
Now, there's one question you probably have: “Why in the world do you know it's running and how is it Scratch Link's fault, and not the Micro:bit's??”
Well, I tried the online JS Editor, to see if it ran outside Scratch, and it did - without a problem. The test program I made was running smoothly, but it couldn't work on Scratch.
Does anyone have an answer to this? I'm doing everything right, and Scratch Link is definitely installed, but it can't run. Idk what's happening, but it made me get seriously annoyed and rage.
I hope the ST can fix this if I'm not doing anything wrong, because I'm very sure I'm not.
Thanks,
CS

█▀▀ █▀█ █▀█ █░░ ▄▄ ▄▄ █▀ █▀▀ █▀█ ▄▀█ ▀█▀ █▀▀ █░█ █▀▀ █▀█
█▄▄ █▄█ █▄█ █▄▄ ░░ ░░ ▄█ █▄▄ █▀▄ █▀█ ░█░ █▄▄ █▀█ ██▄ █▀▄

ᴇxᴘᴇʀɪᴇɴᴄᴇᴅ - 8 ʏᴇᴀʀꜱ! ᴍɪɴᴇᴄʀᴀꜰᴛ! ꜱᴄʀᴀᴛᴄʜ! ʜᴛᴍʟ, ᴄꜱꜱ (kind of)

15 years old // he/him // forumer // video producer // video maker for a certain browser extension

Any questions? Drop by my profile; I'll be happy to help!

stop necroposting i beg you
CoverMusic
Scratcher
100+ posts

Hai there, when it says that port 20110 is in use it means that there may be a server or something running on that same ‘part’ of the IP address. I suggest you either try on another device or contact the Scratch Team for further advice. Scratch Link has had issues before which are to do with certificates. I suggest to start off with you restart your computer, if it is a joint computer (with your family) then maybe ask them to all log out.

Last edited by CoverMusic (July 21, 2020 16:03:07)

Cool--Scratcher
Scratcher
100+ posts

CoverMusic wrote:

Hai there, when it says that port 20110 is in use it means that there may be a server or something running on that same ‘part’ of the IP address. I suggest you either try on another device or contact the Scratch Team for further advice. Scratch Link has had issues before which are to do with certificates. I suggest to start off with you restart your computer, if it is a joint computer (with your family) then maybe ask them to all log out.
Okay, yes - that sounds maybe right, as I'm on a shared computer…

15 years old // he/him // forumer // video producer // video maker for a certain browser extension

CoverMusic
Scratcher
100+ posts

Cool--Scratcher wrote:

CoverMusic wrote:

Glad you agree, try restarting the computer. That should work out well! XD
Clarry290
New to Scratch
18 posts

I've had a similar issue….the reason you are getting “port in use” notification is due to you trying to open ScratchLink when it is already open.

I think its the actual Scratch-Link App that is a dud…..I've done everything, right down to resetting my laptops, and had no luck….
Clarry290
New to Scratch
18 posts

Update….Tried using Microsoft Edge and it worked. Although, still yet to try the other 30 laptops in my classroom,. Might be a chrome issue?
the-joiner
Scratcher
100+ posts

Cool--Scratcher wrote:

I've been trying for 4 hours straight to get BBC Micro:bit to work, and it does, but Scratch Link is a broken and useless program, making my Micro:bit lose its purpose. When I try and connect the Micro:bit to Scratch, it says that a device isn't found, even though it's literally right there. It, as I found out, was completely because of Scratch Link. Since I'm 12, I'm asked a lot why I try so hard to do things like these, and my answer is that it's interesting. However, even though I have the right specs and everything:
My browser / operating system: Windows NT 10.0, Chrome 84.0.4147.89, No Flash version detected
…it still fails to work. When I attempt to open Scratch Link, it gives me the following error message:

This means Scratch Link is already running or another application is using that port.

Window Title:
File Name: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ScratchFoundation.1711508CFD202_1.3.57.0_neutral__wmbdy4q6dbx4t\ScratchLink\ScratchLink.exe

Hello?! What do you mean, a port is already in use?? All that is connected is my Micro:bit (USB), a keyboard and mouse (sharing a USB) and wireless, bluetooth headphones. I tried troubleshooting on the Scratch website - nothing. I tried reinstalling Scratch Link - nothing. I even tried restarting my computer, and still - nothing.
This is a huge letdown to me, as I really wanted to attempt to use Micro:bit as a controller, and perhaps integrate it into an existing game, but now I can't…
Now, there's one question you probably have: “Why in the world do you know it's running and how is it Scratch Link's fault, and not the Micro:bit's??”
Well, I tried the online JS Editor, to see if it ran outside Scratch, and it did - without a problem. The test program I made was running smoothly, but it couldn't work on Scratch.
Does anyone have an answer to this? I'm doing everything right, and Scratch Link is definitely installed, but it can't run. Idk what's happening, but it made me get seriously annoyed and rage.
I hope the ST can fix this if I'm not doing anything wrong, because I'm very sure I'm not.
Thanks,
CS
Same
And i don't understand why it is like this, maybe the "port 20110" isn't in use but it is just a bug :: #FF0049
end :: #00FF93

Last edited by the-joiner (July 23, 2020 10:09:41)

the-joiner
Scratcher
100+ posts

Cool--Scratcher wrote:

Window Title:

Thanks,
CS

Same :: #00FF93
And i don't understand why it is like this, maybe the "port 20110" isn't in use but it is just a bug :: #FF0049
Cool--Scratcher
Scratcher
100+ posts

CoverMusic wrote:

Cool--Scratcher wrote:

CoverMusic wrote:

Glad you agree, try restarting the computer. That should work out well! XD
Okay, it didn't work… idk.

Cool--Scratcher
Scratcher
100+ posts

Clarry290 wrote:

Update….Tried using Microsoft Edge and it worked. Although, still yet to try the other 30 laptops in my classroom,. Might be a chrome issue?
Actually, that might work. I'll give it a go, and see what happens… I'm currently using Chrome. Maybe it's a bug in Chrome that is taking up port 20110, or maybe Chrome is stopping SL from opening? Or, maybe Microsoft Edge has something Chrome doesn't? Idk, but I'll try when I get the chance.

BrycedTea
Scratcher
100+ posts

There is a known issue where the latest version of chrome is not playing well with Scratch Link. This issue is very new (released 7/14) and until we can address that issue I recommend using another browser, such as Firefox.

Port 20110 is referring to how Scratch Link talks to Scratch in your web browser (or Scratch Desktop) and doesn't really have anything to do with the bluetooth connection. The most recent version of Scratch Link will actually tell you which program is using that port (which may be a server or other internet connected application). In your case you're finding an existing version of Scratch Link. It just won't let you run two instances of itself. If you want to make extra sure that you can run it fresh, you can try closing the first instance of Scratch Link. To help with that, we provide the process number (in your case 8644, but that is a number that your operating system generates when you launch a program.)

If none of that makes it work, try re adding the .hex file that we provide onto the micro bit. If that doesn't work, try to “forget” your micro:bit in your operating system's bluetooth settings. Occasionally your computer will connect to bluetooth devices that makes them appear unavailable to Scratch Link and “forgetting” them will make them available again.

I hope you find this information usable.
BrycedTea
Scratcher
100+ posts

Update: I'm having trouble connecting on Firefox, but Edge is working for me. We're looking into it.
Cool--Scratcher
Scratcher
100+ posts

BrycedTea wrote:

There is a known issue where the latest version of chrome is not playing well with Scratch Link. This issue is very new (released 7/14) and until we can address that issue I recommend using another browser, such as Firefox.

Port 20110 is referring to how Scratch Link talks to Scratch in your web browser (or Scratch Desktop) and doesn't really have anything to do with the bluetooth connection. The most recent version of Scratch Link will actually tell you which program is using that port (which may be a server or other internet connected application). In your case you're finding an existing version of Scratch Link. It just won't let you run two instances of itself. If you want to make extra sure that you can run it fresh, you can try closing the first instance of Scratch Link. To help with that, we provide the process number (in your case 8644, but that is a number that your operating system generates when you launch a program.)

If none of that makes it work, try re adding the .hex file that we provide onto the micro bit. If that doesn't work, try to “forget” your micro:bit in your operating system's bluetooth settings. Occasionally your computer will connect to bluetooth devices that makes them appear unavailable to Scratch Link and “forgetting” them will make them available again.

Thanks! I don't see a Scratch Link window open, so I'll try on Edge.

Cool--Scratcher
Scratcher
100+ posts

BrycedTea wrote:

Update: I'm having trouble connecting on Firefox, but Edge is working for me. We're looking into it.
No, I'm using Edge and Scratch Link won't open… and now it says that it can't find a device, which is better than simply breaking but still isn't the best. It still is saying something about the Port. The micro:bit is connected, but Scratch can't find it and Scratch Link isn't opening.

Clarry290
New to Scratch
18 posts

BrycedTea wrote:

Firefox does not work?
coder_isaiyah11
Scratcher
100+ posts

bump

(\_| -.  \ὓ/ .-|_Ω/)
this is hubward, he protects my siggy AND posts from kuamquats and coconuts
copy and paste this on your siggy to protect your posts.
I Wonder how im Managing to do all-nighters
BrycedTea
Scratcher
100+ posts

We recently released a new version of Scratch Link. You should update your Scratch Link version (to version 1.3.66) and then try again.
Coding_Wizard0316
Scratcher
34 posts

Cool--Scratcher wrote:

Window Title:

Thanks,
CS
oof

Cool--Scratcher
Scratcher
100+ posts

BrycedTea wrote:

We recently released a new version of Scratch Link. You should update your Scratch Link version (to version 1.3.66) and then try again.
No, it still doesn't work. I've tried on a new computer, and the same error pops up.
I don't know what in the world is happening. Scratch Link is still useless…

Cool--Scratcher
Scratcher
100+ posts

Update - this is the strangest thing I have ever seen. I looked at the message carefully and saw that it gives me the location of a file that is “conflicting” with Scratch Link. I went and deleted it… or tried to. It said that the program was running IN SCRATCH LINK. What?! How does that work?
The strangest thing, however, was that the program was ScratchLink.exe!
Please fix this! I have no idea what's happening; I've tried on two computers and still nothing works.