Discuss Scratch

DarthVader4Life
Scratcher
1000+ posts

a finish unless block

HTML-Fan wrote:

Okay, my workaround does exactly that.
no, no it doesn't. you forget that the workaround you are currently saying would work wouldn't do everything the OP wants.

Be Moist Also, here's a helpful link to Ocular
I am DV4L, Erector of Text Walls, Typer of Long Posts, Creator of Mini-mod posts
The kumquats have eaten this line, so I have to have a new way to repel them.
Had a bad day or are feeling bored? Watch this to make your day better in an interesting way.
Do you think you've been banned unfairly? Then you'd be wrong. The ST aren't children, so quit acting like they are.
HTML-Fan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

a finish unless block

But at the point when the condition becomes true the code will stop and continue! That's exactly the thing he wants. If it's already true when you start it, it will stop immidiately, if it never happens then it will never stop.
And really, if the workaround is just almost perfect or has the right idea but a little mistake, then fix it yourself. I'm more or less done with this topic.

Joke of the century: Just made a good remix of this with Scratch's music extension.
                      BE MOIST B) AND CHECK OUT
_____ ______ _ _
|_ _| | _ (_) (_)
| |_ _____ | | | |_ _ __ ___ ___ _ __ ___ _ ___ _ __ ___ #RoadToMoist100
| \ \ /\ / / _ \ | | | | | '_ ` _ \ / _ \ '_ \/ __| |/ _ \| '_ \/ __|
| |\ V V / (_) | | |/ /| | | | | | | __/ | | \__ \ | (_) | | | \__ \
\_/ \_/\_/ \___/ |___/ |_|_| |_| |_|\___|_| |_|___/_|\___/|_| |_|___/
DarthVader4Life
Scratcher
1000+ posts

a finish unless block

HTML-Fan wrote:

But at the point when the condition becomes true the code will stop and continue! That's exactly the thing he wants. If it's already true when you start it, it will stop immidiately, if it never happens then it will never stop.
And really, if the workaround is just almost perfect or has the right idea but a little mistake, then fix it yourself. I'm more or less done with this topic.
why does everyone use the word stop, it should be skip.
anyway, it may do all the scenarios, but at one major drawback, it'd stop everything else in the sprite. and yes, the continue broadcast would start it up again, but that makes it to where you'd have a lot more code than required. the perfect workaround won't exist unless your stop script x block gets implemented, so no, there's not a perfect workaround (yet?) for what the OP wants.

I am DV4L, Erector of Text Walls, Typer of Long Posts, Creator of Mini-mod posts
Had a bad day or are feeling bored? Watch this to make your day better in an interesting way.
Do you think you've been banned unfairly? Then you'd be wrong. The ST aren't children, so quit acting like they are.
HTML-Fan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

a finish unless block

He could just make a sepatare sprite for this (even clone one) or use non-blocking code like I do and how it works the best.

Joke of the century: Just made a good remix of this with Scratch's music extension.
_____ ______ _ _
|_ _| | _ (_) (_)
DarthVader4Life
Scratcher
1000+ posts

a finish unless block

HTML-Fan wrote:

He could just make a sepatare sprite for this (even clone one) or use non-blocking code like I do and how it works the best.
I fail to see how that would make it a perfect workaround.

HTML-Fan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

a finish unless block

Perfect means the perfect possible workaround, not a perfectly easy one.

_____ ______ _ _
|_ _| | _ (_) (_)
DarthVader4Life
Scratcher
1000+ posts

a finish unless block

HTML-Fan wrote:

Perfect means the perfect possible workaround, not a perfectly easy one.
ik, but it's not perfect.

Basic88
Scratcher
1000+ posts

a finish unless block

Uh…I don't understand. Could you please explain more? We don't know what your talking about.
finish unless <> {

} :: control
would work a lot like
repeat until <>

end
if that's what your aiming for.

I have moved to @BrowserExtension
DarthVader4Life
Scratcher
1000+ posts

a finish unless block

Basic88 wrote:

Uh…I don't understand. Could you please explain more? We don't know what your talking about.
finish unless <> {

would work a lot like
repeat until <>

end
no, no, it wouldn't.
finish unless <> {

isn't a loop. and read post 222, that should clear up on what it does.

jaguar1501
Scratcher
1000+ posts

a finish unless block

Basic88 wrote:

finish unless <> {

would work a lot like
repeat until <>

end
They've pointed out that it's not a loop- it's a block that would work kind of like
stop [all v]unless <...>::control
So, stop all unless a certain condition is true. If said condition is not true, the project would stop (or ‘finish’). However, if the condition is true, it would run the code underneath the finish unless block. Does that make sense?

Last edited by jaguar1501 (June 30, 2020 16:28:11)

I moved!
Check out my new account!
DarthVader4Life
Scratcher
1000+ posts

a finish unless block

jaguar1501 wrote:

Basic88 wrote:

finish unless <> {

would work a lot like
repeat until <>

end
They've pointed out that it's not a loop- it's a block that would work kind of like
stop [all v]unless <...>
So, stop all unless a certain condition is true. If said condition is not true, the project would stop (or ‘finish’). However, if the condition is true, it would run the code underneath the finish unless block. Does that make sense?
no, no it wouldn't. just read post 222 and that should be what the suggested block does.

jaguar1501
Scratcher
1000+ posts

a finish unless block

DarthVader4Life wrote:

jaguar1501 wrote:

Basic88 wrote:

finish unless <> {

would work a lot like
repeat until <>

end
stop [all v]unless <...>
no, no it wouldn't. just read post 222 and that should be what the suggested block does.
Well, yes, yes it would, because that's what the OP said. I just used the Scratchblocks they used to explain it.

I moved!
HTML-Fan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

a finish unless block

I just think that the block doesnÄt makes sense because it's too specific. A break block makes sense and a stop script x block makes sense, because both are way mor universal.

_____ ______ _ _
|_ _| | _ (_) (_)
jaguar1501
Scratcher
1000+ posts

a finish unless block

Guys, the OP said that it would work like this (quoted directly from their post):
finish unless <[monkeys] = [3]> ::control
set [dogs v] to [7] ::variables
set [monkeys v] to [3] ::variables
set [oof v] to [2] ::variables
end
ask [] and wait ::sensing
(it looks different because I assigned sections to the blocks that were previously red)
So, the project would end unless there were 3 monkeys (monkeys are an example). If there were 3 monkeys, it would continue to set the dogs to 7, the monkeys to 3, etc.

Last edited by jaguar1501 (June 30, 2020 16:34:31)

I moved!
DarthVader4Life
Scratcher
1000+ posts

a finish unless block

HTML-Fan wrote:

I just think that the block doesnÄt makes sense because it's too specific. A break block makes sense and a stop script x block makes sense, because both are way mor universal.
why do you blame it getting misunderstood on what it does, not how it was explained?

Last edited by DarthVader4Life (June 30, 2020 16:33:37)

DarthVader4Life
Scratcher
1000+ posts

a finish unless block

jaguar1501 wrote:

Guys, the OP said that it would work like this (quoted directly from their post):
finish unless <[monkeys] = [3]> ::control
set [dogs v] to [7] ::variables
set [monkeys v] to [3] ::variables
set [oof v] to [2] ::variables
end
ask [] and wait ::sensing
(it looks different because I assigned sections to the blocks that were previously red)
So, the project would end unless there were 3 monkeys (monkeys are an example). If there were 3 monkeys, it would continue to set the dogs to 7, the monkeys to 3, etc.
it'd be the script SKIPPING.

HTML-Fan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

a finish unless block

In this special case, you can just if the set oof.

_____ ______ _ _
|_ _| | _ (_) (_)
DarthVader4Life
Scratcher
1000+ posts

a finish unless block

jaguar1501 wrote:

DarthVader4Life wrote:

jaguar1501 wrote:

Basic88 wrote:

finish unless <> {

would work a lot like
repeat until <>

end
stop [all v]unless <...>
Well, yes, yes it would, because that's what the OP said. I just used the Scratchblocks they used to explain it.
you interpenetrated it that way, it preforms a skip, not a stop

HTML-Fan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

a finish unless block

DarthVader4Life wrote:

it preforms a skip, not a stop
That are two awesome words for the same thing. If you skip it, then you stop the subscript.

_____ ______ _ _
|_ _| | _ (_) (_)
DarthVader4Life
Scratcher
1000+ posts

a finish unless block

HTML-Fan wrote:

DarthVader4Life wrote:

it preforms a skip, not a stop
That are two awesome words for the same thing. If you skip it, then you stop the subscript.
stop is generally interpenetrated as
stop [ v]
however skip is generally interpenetrated as not preforming an action(s) and going onto another action(s).