Discuss Scratch

iTweak0r
Scratcher
100+ posts

suggestion to help with GO TO URL block problem

Everybody wants a GO TO URL block, but it is kinda dangerous (the “go to URL virus url” problem)

Here is some restrictions that would make it better

Only allow links on scratch.mit.edu domains (beta, normal, wiki, info, and resources)

if you type in another domain the block would turn red like an error

whenever a link block runs a box shows up

————————————————–
Confirm
————————————————–
|This project wants to go to the url |
|scratch.mit.edu |
|Title: Scratch | Home |
| |
|Are you sure? Yes No |
| |
| | | disable links in this project |
| | | always say yes for this session|
————————————————-

You can confirm if you want to go to the page.

If you check “disable links in this project” the URL blocks will be disabled for your current session in the project

if “always say yes for this session” is checked links will not ask you for confirm until you close the browser window

And, even limiting to Scratch websites, the block will still allow Clutter-like projects and more!

-iTweak0r

Last edited by iTweak0r (April 27, 2013 03:47:26)


Specs 1 (main): Safari on MacBook Pro; Late 2008; Core 2 Duo @2.4GHz; 8GB 1067MHz DDR3 RAM; Mac OS X 10.10;

Specs 2: Firefox on Lenovo Yoga 13; Core i7 @2.0GHz; 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM;
tri-boots Windows 10 Pro, Mac OS X 10.10, and Ubuntu 14.01 LTS;

All have the latest version of Flash.
bobbysq
Scratcher
100+ posts

suggestion to help with GO TO URL block problem

Wouldn't a confirmation box do the job?
SuperJedi224
Scratcher
100+ posts

suggestion to help with GO TO URL block problem

bobbysq wrote:

Wouldn't a confirmation box do the job?
I think it would.


Internetometer top 1000 as of 2014.04.10
joshuaho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

suggestion to help with GO TO URL block problem

iTweak0r wrote:

Everybody wants a GO TO URL block, but it is kinda dangerous (the “go to URL virus url” problem)

Here is some restrictions that would make it better

Only allow links on scratch.mit.edu domains (beta, normal, wiki, info, and resources)

if you type in another domain the block would turn red like an error

whenever a link block runs a box shows up

————————————————–
Confirm
————————————————–
|This project wants to go to the url |
|scratch.mit.edu |
|Title: Scratch | Home |
| |
|Are you sure? Yes No |
| |
| | | disable links in this project |
| | | always say yes for this session|
————————————————-

You can confirm if you want to go to the page.

If you check “disable links in this project” the URL blocks will be disabled for your current session in the project

if “always say yes for this session” is checked links will not ask you for confirm until you close the browser window

And, even limiting to Scratch websites, the block will still allow Clutter-like projects and more!

-iTweak0r
I support.

Pun of the week:
Q: How do you succeed in writing class?
A: By completing the assignments the write way.
;
jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

suggestion to help with GO TO URL block problem

This is a very reasonable solution.
It prevents virus sites, and the confirmation dialog also prevents crashing browsers by opening a page thousands of times.

I support.

jvvg
Administrator and backend engineer on the Scratch Wiki
Executive director of FutureSight Technologies
7734f
Scratcher
500+ posts

suggestion to help with GO TO URL block problem

I + su + ppo + rt = I support

BoyKetchup
Scratcher
96 posts

suggestion to help with GO TO URL block problem

I definitely support!

scratchisthebest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

suggestion to help with GO TO URL block problem

jvvg wrote:

and the confirmation dialog also prevents crashing browsers by opening a page thousands of times.
unless you press “always allow links from this project”.

Also the url of the site does not always give you a good impression of what the site is about. Anyone can create an inappropriate site with a cute name.

I am a Lava Expert
darkness3560
Scratcher
100+ posts

suggestion to help with GO TO URL block problem

I support! If you could find a way to integrate this with some sort of reputation-based web page safety service like WOT, and display the rating in the confirmation box, that would be handy!
KrIsMa
Scratcher
100+ posts

suggestion to help with GO TO URL block problem

the problem is that a url that looks innocent (like www.rainbowdashlolfakelinkidkwhatiamdoing.com) can be bad stuff! like swearing! isn't that horrible for 4 year olds?!?

Oh yes, reputation based web pages are bad because for example, a group of people that swear go to that innocent looking link, and rate the website reputation good, cause it has a lot of good swears (o.o) Reputation rating are usually people's input.

Word check sometimes does not work, cause of dreaded images

www.rainbowdashlolfakelinkidkwhatiamdoing.com can house viruses that some reputation based programs can't see or taste (again, innocent looking link, or maybe a link where typos (like google.com typos) link to giveaways and VIRUSES! LOTS OF THEM!)…

even the best antivirus can bring up a red flag if a sample of the virus is in the antivirus's database. so new viruses are no match for the mighty antivirus!!!

Last edited by KrIsMa (May 30, 2013 03:26:39)


Fellow Wikian.
jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

suggestion to help with GO TO URL block problem

KrIsMa wrote:

the problem is that a url that looks innocent (like www.rainbowdashlolfakelinkidkwhatiamdoing.com) can be bad stuff! like swearing! isn't that horrible for 4 year olds?!?

Oh yes, reputation based web pages are bad because for example, a group of people that swear go to that innocent looking link, and rate the website reputation good, cause it has a lot of good swears (o.o) Reputation rating are usually people's input.

Word check sometimes does not work, cause of dreaded images

www.rainbowdashlolfakelinkidkwhatiamdoing.com can house viruses that some reputation based programs can't see or taste (again, innocent looking link, or maybe a link where typos (like google.com typos) link to giveaways and VIRUSES! LOTS OF THEM!)…

even the best antivirus can bring up a red flag if a sample of the virus is in the antivirus's database. so new viruses are no match for the mighty antivirus!!!
But the trick here is that you can only link to Scratch sites.

jvvg
Administrator and backend engineer on the Scratch Wiki
Executive director of FutureSight Technologies
KrIsMa
Scratcher
100+ posts

suggestion to help with GO TO URL block problem

jvvg wrote:

KrIsMa wrote:

the problem is that a url that looks innocent (like www.rainbowdashlolfakelinkidkwhatiamdoing.com) can be bad stuff! like swearing! isn't that horrible for 4 year olds?!?

Oh yes, reputation based web pages are bad because for example, a group of people that swear go to that innocent looking link, and rate the website reputation good, cause it has a lot of good swears (o.o) Reputation rating are usually people's input.

Word check sometimes does not work, cause of dreaded images

www.rainbowdashlolfakelinkidkwhatiamdoing.com can house viruses that some reputation based programs can't see or taste (again, innocent looking link, or maybe a link where typos (like google.com typos) link to giveaways and VIRUSES! LOTS OF THEM!)…

even the best antivirus can bring up a red flag if a sample of the virus is in the antivirus's database. so new viruses are no match for the mighty antivirus!!!
But the trick here is that you can only link to Scratch sites.

Oh, I need to read more XD

Thanks!

Fellow Wikian.
ImagineIt
Scratcher
1000+ posts

suggestion to help with GO TO URL block problem

Good idea! Then we could use clutter!

Edited since I didn't notice the only scratch.mit.edu part.

Last edited by ImagineIt (May 31, 2013 19:51:54)

iTweak0r
Scratcher
100+ posts

suggestion to help with GO TO URL block problem

KrIsMa wrote:

the problem is that a url that looks innocent (like www.rainbowdashlolfakelinkidkwhatiamdoing.com) can be bad stuff! like swearing! isn't that horrible for 4 year olds?!?

Oh yes, reputation based web pages are bad because for example, a group of people that swear go to that innocent looking link, and rate the website reputation good, cause it has a lot of good swears (o.o) Reputation rating are usually people's input.

Word check sometimes does not work, cause of dreaded images

www.rainbowdashlolfakelinkidkwhatiamdoing.com can house viruses that some reputation based programs can't see or taste (again, innocent looking link, or maybe a link where typos (like google.com typos) link to giveaways and VIRUSES! LOTS OF THEM!)…

even the best antivirus can bring up a red flag if a sample of the virus is in the antivirus's database. so new viruses are no match for the mighty antivirus!!!

I said Only allow links from scratch.mit.edu domains

Specs 1 (main): Safari on MacBook Pro; Late 2008; Core 2 Duo @2.4GHz; 8GB 1067MHz DDR3 RAM; Mac OS X 10.10;

Specs 2: Firefox on Lenovo Yoga 13; Core i7 @2.0GHz; 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM;
tri-boots Windows 10 Pro, Mac OS X 10.10, and Ubuntu 14.01 LTS;

All have the latest version of Flash.
KrIsMa
Scratcher
100+ posts

suggestion to help with GO TO URL block problem

KrIsMa wrote:

jvvg wrote:

KrIsMa wrote:

the problem is that a url that looks innocent (like www.rainbowdashlolfakelinkidkwhatiamdoing.com) can be bad stuff! like swearing! isn't that horrible for 4 year olds?!?

Oh yes, reputation based web pages are bad because for example, a group of people that swear go to that innocent looking link, and rate the website reputation good, cause it has a lot of good swears (o.o) Reputation rating are usually people's input.

Word check sometimes does not work, cause of dreaded images

www.rainbowdashlolfakelinkidkwhatiamdoing.com can house viruses that some reputation based programs can't see or taste (again, innocent looking link, or maybe a link where typos (like google.com typos) link to giveaways and VIRUSES! LOTS OF THEM!)…

even the best antivirus can bring up a red flag if a sample of the virus is in the antivirus's database. so new viruses are no match for the mighty antivirus!!!
But the trick here is that you can only link to Scratch sites.

Oh, I need to read more XD

Thanks!

iTweak0r wrote:

KrIsMa wrote:

the problem is that a url that looks innocent (like www.rainbowdashlolfakelinkidkwhatiamdoing.com) can be bad stuff! like swearing! isn't that horrible for 4 year olds?!?

Oh yes, reputation based web pages are bad because for example, a group of people that swear go to that innocent looking link, and rate the website reputation good, cause it has a lot of good swears (o.o) Reputation rating are usually people's input.

Word check sometimes does not work, cause of dreaded images

www.rainbowdashlolfakelinkidkwhatiamdoing.com can house viruses that some reputation based programs can't see or taste (again, innocent looking link, or maybe a link where typos (like google.com typos) link to giveaways and VIRUSES! LOTS OF THEM!)…

even the best antivirus can bring up a red flag if a sample of the virus is in the antivirus's database. so new viruses are no match for the mighty antivirus!!!

I said Only allow links from scratch.mit.edu domains

i know already, jvvg nicely told me that it is only scratch domains.

thanks jvvg! you are very helpful

Fellow Wikian.
StarscreamClone
Scratcher
1000+ posts

suggestion to help with GO TO URL block problem

Strongly support.

Opportunistic Starscream is opportunistic.
Rub0Gameton
Scratcher
100+ posts

suggestion to help with GO TO URL block problem

Hmmm, why not?
StarAni6977
Scratcher
39 posts

suggestion to help with GO TO URL block problem

iTweak0r wrote:

Everybody wants a GO TO URL block, but it is kinda dangerous (the “go to URL virus url” problem)

Here is some restrictions that would make it better

Only allow links on scratch.mit.edu domains (beta, normal, wiki, info, and resources)

if you type in another domain the block would turn red like an error

whenever a link block runs a box shows up

————————————————–
Confirm
————————————————–
|This project wants to go to the url |
|scratch.mit.edu |
|Title: Scratch | Home |
| |
|Are you sure? Yes No |
| |
| | | disable links in this project |
| | | always say yes for this session|
————————————————-

You can confirm if you want to go to the page.

If you check “disable links in this project” the URL blocks will be disabled for your current session in the project

if “always say yes for this session” is checked links will not ask you for confirm until you close the browser window

And, even limiting to Scratch websites, the block will still allow Clutter-like projects and more!

-iTweak0r
Awesome idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ; )

BEEP- WEL-COME-TO-AWE-SOME-LAND-PRE-PARE-TO-BE-AMAZED-BEEP
darkness3560
Scratcher
100+ posts

suggestion to help with GO TO URL block problem

Maybe you could post links to outside the Scratch website, unless you're a New Scratcher. After all, you can post the same links in the project notes, so why not in the project itself?
mathfreak231
Scratcher
1000+ posts

suggestion to help with GO TO URL block problem

Wow, this is perhaps the most balanced solution ever!

3DS FC: 3239-6065-2543 (Ask me before adding) | AS: Alex~ | X: Alex (DWS)
Ask me on my profile about XYORAS breeding requests!

My browser / operating system: MacOS Macintosh X 10.11.3, Safari 9.0.3, Flash 20.0 (release 0)

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile