Discuss Scratch

Walkway
Scratcher
13 posts

Can’t open Scratch 1.4?

My browser / operating system: MacOS Macintosh X 10.14.3, Chrome 81.0.4044.129, No Flash version detected

I’m trying to open Scratch 1.4, but it isn’t working; it just opens up my files and I can’t click on anything. If I click + rename and open it, it closes. My computer told me it will stop supporting it completely in the next few updates… Is it just me, or is something up? I’ll have to use 2.0 but that crashes sometimes and I lose my work.

Screenshot (blanked out some areas for privacy reasons):

This is what pops up whenever I open it

Last edited by Walkway (May 20, 2020 18:02:09)

Flowermanvista
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Can’t open Scratch 1.4?

I'm no Mac expert, but I'm pretty sure that this has something to do with modern MacOS versions dropping support for 32-bit applications - and Scratch 1.4 is a 32-bit application because of its age. If this does happen, you'll have three options if you really want to continue using 1.4:
  • Use 1.4 on a different computer that runs Windows or Linux.
  • Attempt to convince the ST to release an official 64-bit build in the Suggestions forum.
  • Attempt to track down an unofficial 64-bit build, which I'm not sure if such a thing even exists.
TheNintendoFan2020
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Can’t open Scratch 1.4?

Walkway wrote:

My browser / operating system: MacOS Macintosh X 10.14.3, Chrome 81.0.4044.129, No Flash version detected

I’m trying to open Scratch 1.4, but it isn’t working; it just opens up my files and I can’t click on anything. If I click + rename and open it, it closes. My computer told me it will stop supporting it completely in the next few updates… Is it just me, or is something up? I’ll have to use 2.0 but that crashes sometimes and I lose my work.

Screenshot (blanked out some areas for privacy reasons):

This is what pops up whenever I open it
oof. you couldn't open the most historical scratch version.

Capitan_Florida_2
Scratcher
100+ posts

Can’t open Scratch 1.4?

Flowermanvista wrote:

I'm no Mac expert, but I'm pretty sure that this has something to do with modern MacOS versions dropping support for 32-bit applications - and Scratch 1.4 is a 32-bit application because of its age. If this does happen, you'll have three options if you really want to continue using 1.4:
  • Use 1.4 on a different computer that runs Windows or Linux.
  • Attempt to convince the ST to release an official 64-bit build in the Suggestions forum.
  • Attempt to track down an unofficial 64-bit build, which I'm not sure if such a thing even exists.
10.14 had partial support for 32bit stuff - this version is what OP is using
10.15 - has none


ctrl+shift+down, just so i remember lol






OLD STUFF, SCROLL TO SEE
make a better signature you lazy person make an sds project in time
yeah that's the truth sbout meh
it was


we just gotta get back to the website
Walkway
Scratcher
13 posts

Can’t open Scratch 1.4?

Flowermanvista wrote:

I'm no Mac expert, but I'm pretty sure that this has something to do with modern MacOS versions dropping support for 32-bit applications - and Scratch 1.4 is a 32-bit application because of its age. If this does happen, you'll have three options if you really want to continue using 1.4:
  • Use 1.4 on a different computer that runs Windows or Linux.
  • Attempt to convince the ST to release an official 64-bit build in the Suggestions forum.
  • Attempt to track down an unofficial 64-bit build, which I'm not sure if such a thing even exists.
I hope I’m not going to have to use my old computer to use 1.4…
I’ve never heard of a suggestion actually being used, bit I’ll try if it gets worse. Meanwhile, I can use 2.0
Walkway
Scratcher
13 posts

Can’t open Scratch 1.4?

bump
leogames2016
Scratcher
100+ posts

Can’t open Scratch 1.4?

Scratch 1.4 Needs To be Updated In order To Support Newer Versions Of Mac.

Scratch Team Will do a Minor Update Corresponding to This Issue. They Will Do Minor Update Rather than Major Update Becuse They Stopped Doing
Updates After Scratch 3.0 But That will be a Minor Chance.

Last edited by leogames2016 (June 7, 2020 00:31:48)


Joe and Pinkia are Dressing for Halloween!,Roll will be Next and Greeny Cat will Redesign to a Human-like Cat.

I Really Hope I won't be Stupid

Oh,and Don´t Feel that i still have something Done.

And i use Moberryz Style (Her Style for Kirby and Human is really good,) You should check out her Project to Create your Own Kirby!
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/308300122/
leogames2016
Scratcher
100+ posts

Can’t open Scratch 1.4?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208436



This is the Article.

Joe and Pinkia are Dressing for Halloween!,Roll will be Next and Greeny Cat will Redesign to a Human-like Cat.

I Really Hope I won't be Stupid

Oh,and Don´t Feel that i still have something Done.

And i use Moberryz Style (Her Style for Kirby and Human is really good,) You should check out her Project to Create your Own Kirby!
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/308300122/
mlcreater
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Can’t open Scratch 1.4?

leogames2016 wrote:

Scratch 1.4 Needs To be Updated In order To Support Newer Versions Of Mac.
The Scratch Team updated Scratch 1.4.
to Scratch 2.0
which was then updated
to Scratch 3.0





leogames2016
Scratcher
100+ posts

Can’t open Scratch 1.4?

mlcreater wrote:

leogames2016 wrote:

Scratch 1.4 Needs To be Updated In order To Support Newer Versions Of Mac.
The Scratch Team updated Scratch 1.4.
to Scratch 2.0
which was then updated
to Scratch 3.0


Yep. But Scratch 1.5 eeds a Minor Update that Fixes this problem.

Joe and Pinkia are Dressing for Halloween!,Roll will be Next and Greeny Cat will Redesign to a Human-like Cat.

I Really Hope I won't be Stupid

Oh,and Don´t Feel that i still have something Done.

And i use Moberryz Style (Her Style for Kirby and Human is really good,) You should check out her Project to Create your Own Kirby!
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/308300122/
Walkway
Scratcher
13 posts

Can’t open Scratch 1.4?

UPDATE: I realised that I’m not on the latest version and 1.4 should still be working, so there may be a problem with 1.4…
If I get a chance I’ll go on my old computer and check it there.

Last edited by Walkway (June 7, 2020 09:03:36)

SausageMcSauce
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Can’t open Scratch 1.4?

leogames2016 wrote:

mlcreater wrote:

leogames2016 wrote:

Scratch 1.4 Needs To be Updated In order To Support Newer Versions Of Mac.
The Scratch Team updated Scratch 1.4.
to Scratch 2.0
which was then updated
to Scratch 3.0


Yep. But Scratch 1.5 eeds a Minor Update that Fixes this problem.

The Scratch Team no longer maintain Scratch 1.4. They will likely not make an update to it that supports newer MacOS versions.

disclaimer: the toothpaste in the ad below is not real





my site
-Qlec-
Scratcher
96 posts

Can’t open Scratch 1.4?

I'm not a huge expert on computer stuff, but if I were to guess, it would probably have something to do with it's age.
I also never used Macs xD
Why would you need to run that old version on one of the newest versions of Macs anyways?
If you miss 2.0, use the 2.0 offline editor.
Not 1.4.
If you're looking for older blocks, sorry to disappoint you, but I don't think 1.4 had them.
There's only the “forever if” block; which is nearly useless.

i sound way too serious in my posts, i'm not
Walkway
Scratcher
13 posts

Can’t open Scratch 1.4?

-Qlec- wrote:

I'm not a huge expert on computer stuff, but if I were to guess, it would probably have something to do with it's age.
I also never used Macs xD
Why would you need to run that old version on one of the newest versions of Macs anyways?
If you miss 2.0, use the 2.0 offline editor.
Not 1.4.
If you're looking for older blocks, sorry to disappoint you, but I don't think 1.4 had them.
There's only the “forever if” block; which is nearly useless.
I like using it because it was the version of Scratch I grew up using, so it brings back memories. I also like the darker colours, the hidden Easter eggs, and it’s not as laggy as 2.0, which can crash sometimes, and the project size limit is bigger (often I run out of space on 2.0 if I add lots of music or .gifs). I also have some 1.4 projects that work best with that version.
Walkway
Scratcher
13 posts

Can’t open Scratch 1.4?

The odd thing is, it works on my old computer but not on here, but it worked fine when I first installed it. I’m not on the latest version, so it should still work A few other things, like Minecraft, don’t work very well.
It also says when I try to re-install it that I’m installing Google Chrome and not Scratch…

Last edited by Walkway (June 27, 2020 19:18:45)

McTheAnimator
Scratcher
44 posts

Can’t open Scratch 1.4?

So, Scratch 1.4 only works with 32-bit computers. Now these days they don't make 32-bit computers anymore BUT you could download a 32-bit software and run it on a Virtual Machine and use 1.4 that way, if you don't want to search for hours to find a 32-bit software/computer.

VOTE ON BATTLE FOR SCRATCH!
VOTING ENDS MONDAY!

WATCH ANIMATION AND VOTE HERE
Walkway
Scratcher
13 posts

Can’t open Scratch 1.4?

McTheAnimator wrote:

So, Scratch 1.4 only works with 32-bit computers. Now these days they don't make 32-bit computers anymore BUT you could download a 32-bit software and run it on a Virtual Machine and use 1.4 that way, if you don't want to search for hours to find a 32-bit software/computer.
It’s not been updated yet though, it warns me that it won’t be supported in future versions, which is very weird. I haven’t updated this computer since I got it, and it worked fine before. Odd…
Hearst10
Scratcher
100+ posts

Can’t open Scratch 1.4?

Walkway wrote:

It’s not been updated yet though -snip-
it's not going to be updated.
scratch 1.4 online that works on macs and all other OS

Moving from Scratch? Don't learn C or Java, try Snap!

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile