Discuss Scratch

AonymousGuy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Is there anything we can do about people not reading sticky topics?

OmnipotentPotato wrote:

AonymousGuy wrote:

Infinity- wrote:

Making duplicate post can be plain ignorance or a complete accident. I mean, I made a forum post about the hunger games, and it got closed down because there was another one like it from about 6 months ago. It can be annoying for people that know it's a duplicate, but sometimes even more for the creator who didn't know .
There's such thing as the search bar…
It doesn't work that well.
Yeah, I know. What I do is a Google custom search (site:scratch.mit.edu/discuss topic name here)
gcenac
Scratcher
100+ posts

Ugh… I really wish there was a way… Unless we forced them, but that never works out…

Sonickyle
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I have noticed that people that answer their questions don't even mention the stickies that answer the question in the first place. If more people started being more strict with their answers and pointing to the stickies, surely that'll encourage other people to do the same?

No I don't make projects anymore. I left some time ago.
I only check the forums every now and then, but other than that consider me retired.
EMPedemonte20
Scratcher
100+ posts

How about after the second offense to the rules, have a short ban. Say 1 week and increase according to the number of offenses

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who know binary code, and people who don't.
My mod, NoMod!!!
samanyolu
Scratcher
1000+ posts

There may be an info box that pops up to the person who visits Scratch Forums the first time, and that tells many things. It may give some info about this problem, and it also may say “you'll be banned for a short time if you won't keep the guidelines” – like EMPedemonte20. -.-

Last edited by samanyolu (Oct. 6, 2014 14:53:39)

OmnipotentPotato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sonickyle wrote:

I have noticed that people that answer their questions don't even mention the stickies that answer the question in the first place. If more people started being more strict with their answers and pointing to the stickies, surely that'll encourage other people to do the same?
That's what I'm starting to do. I just tell people to read my sig.
OmnipotentPotato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

samanyolu wrote:

There may be an info box that pops up to the person who visits Scratch Forums the first time, and that tells many things. It may give some info about this problem, and it also may say “you'll be banned for a short time if you won't keep the guidelines” – like EMPedemonte20. -.-
Definitely not a good idea to banish users for something like this.
samanyolu
Scratcher
1000+ posts

(post deleted)

Last edited by samanyolu (Oct. 6, 2014 15:51:32)

Deerleg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

joshuaho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

EMPedemonte20 wrote:

How about after the second offense to the rules, have a short ban. Say 1 week and increase according to the number of offenses
That wouldn't work. The moderators aren't going to ban someone for simply not reading the stickies as bans are only used when users are spamming persistantly despite efforts to stop them or when they violate the Community Guidelines. It obviously is not against the Community Guidelines to not read a sticky topic.

College student studying Communication and Fire Technology, communication lab tutor, guitar and piano player, perfectionist, and just some guy who regularly eats and trains physically to stay healthy.
amateurradiogeek15
Scratcher
1000+ posts

joshuaho wrote:

Yeah - I have also noticed lots of topics like these….
Maybe we could have a pop up when someone makes a topic that says “please read the stickies before posting”.

Could do that, but I would advise that the popup only pop up once for the same user. otherwise that can get old FAST!

Work of @PeaInAPod

Come on down and join us!!

When All Else Fails, There's Amateur Radio!!!
It could save your life!
Proud Member of The Holland Amateur Radio Club.
Thousands of clubs around the planet!
Emergency communications!
Lots of Fun!
Join the Ultra Player Collaboration making a Cloud Multiplayer Game!!!!!
Multiplayer siggy=