Discuss Scratch

Hatarn72
New to Scratch
2 posts

Age requirements for creating Scratch accounts?

Hello,
I'm a teacher at an elementary school, I'm interested in using Scratch with my 5th grade students.
I looked through the fine print to find out about age restrictions, but I couldn't find any. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Maybe I missed it or someone can shed some light on the situation for me. My students are 10-11years old.

I looked into the actual account process. students need an email to sign up, but I found out that I can have more than one account using the same email. Is it against the rules to put all 25 of my students on one email?

I did see the possibility of downloading scratch to the computer, but I would rather not go through the process of doing that for 25 computers.

Thanks in advance.
ErnieParke
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hi @Hatarn72! Welcome to Scratch! :)

It's nice to see that you want to bring kids to Scratch. Scratch is meant to be for kids of all ages, meaning that there really isn't an age restriction. In fact, if you look at the Scratch Statistics page, you'll see that the average Scratcher age is only 1-3 years above your group.

As for putting everyone on one email, I haven't seen anything going against that rule, so I'm sure it would be completely fine. The only use that emails have is account recovery, so if you keep you or a student remember the account names, then nothing bad should really happen.

Welcomes,

ErnieParke

Last edited by ErnieParke (May 20, 2014 20:08:55)

scimonster
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hatarn72 wrote:

Hello,
I'm a teacher at an elementary school, I'm interested in using Scratch with my 5th grade students.
I looked through the fine print to find out about age restrictions, but I couldn't find any. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Maybe I missed it or someone can shed some light on the situation for me. My students are 10-11years old.
5th grade is definitely old enough.
I think there used to be a 5-year-old minimum, but it doesn't seem to be there anymore.

I looked into the actual account process. students need an email to sign up, but I found out that I can have more than one account using the same email. Is it against the rules to put all 25 of my students on one email?
Feel free to do that. Just make sure to keep them straight in case of password recovery.

Retired Community Moderator
BTW, i run Google Chrome 41.0.2272.101 on a Linux system - Ubuntu 14.04. NEW: iPad 4th gen. w/retina.

418 I'm a teapot (original - to be read by bored computer geeks)
THE GAME (you just lost)
; THE SEMICOLON LIVES ON IN OUR SIGS
cheddargirl
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Hatarn72 wrote:

Hello,
We don't have an age restriction for the Scratch website. Our website is open for all ages, and we have young kids, their parents, grandparents, students, and teachers who use the site frequently.

For the most part, the Scratch program was primarily designed in mind for children around 8 to 16 years of age, and it sounds like your students fit that age range (for younger children, we are working on Scratch Jr).

No, that is fine. The e-mail there is just for password recovery purposes, so a fake one could even be used during sign-up if you are wary about using a real e-mail address. But should you wish to use a real e-mail address, I would just suggest that the e-mail used is one that isn't easily accessible by your students (that might make password recovery difficult if a student should forget his/her password, but it's safer than having a student have password recovery access to all 25 accounts).

Sadly, my forum signature was eaten by an evil kumquat.
Hatarn72
New to Scratch
2 posts

Thank you to all who answered so quickly.
I can't wait to get my students up and running in Scratch!
jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I think the age requirement is simply “old enough to know how to use Scratch”.

Professional web developer and lead engineer on the Scratch Wiki
Maybe the Scratch Team isn't so badWhy the April Fools' Day forum didn't work last year
ILoveScratch2103
Scratcher
4 posts

Old enough to know not to swear and to type.

———–ILoveScratch2103———-
Wahsp
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ILoveScratch2103 wrote:

Old enough to know not to swear and to type.
Please do not necropost

​I am Wahsp

Formerly pretty active on the forums, probably mostly retired now…
If you see one of my posts send me a hello!