Discuss Scratch

scratchykit5743
Scratcher
1000+ posts

limit or ban coronavirus related comments and/or certain coronavirus projects

hey scratch………

i am just here to both tell you my opinion and remind you all of the one thing i am posting in the next row:

the coronavirus is very serious.

a lot of people are ignoring this, so that is why i am proposing a ban on comments about the corona virus first.

the reasons why? below, numbered reasons:

1. some people are making jokes about it when IRL it is extremely serious.
2. it can be annoying to scratchers who do not find these comments a single sliver funny or amusing.
3. some people are downright terrified of illness or germs of any kind.

and for the projects? well, here is the criteria i feel:

STAY, UNEDITED
simulators (but none where there is sickness and/or death!!)

EDIT WORDS
“help stop spread of coronavirus” type projects

BAN
everything else

that is how i feel. i hope you understood me, scratch. i really hope you did.

psst! Hit ctrl + shift + down to see the rest!

For whatever reason mister Jon Arbuckle got removed ;-; I'll find a replacement GIF later

Anyways hi, I'm SK

I've been on this site since I was 10 years old. I am currently 15

I have a major addiction to sweet tea and draw a crap ton of stuff in my free time (not all of which is scratch appropriate). I post whatever I want to on the main site and mostly manage the collaborations directory and answer questions in QaS on the forums

I have over 2000 posts lol, a huge chunk of them being from when I was 11-12 during the height of COVID

If by any chance the post you''re reading is from early 2021 or before, please forget that post exists since it is cringey

This is Kimikat.
     (OwO)
She protecc my siggy, and has been since 2020
apple502j
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Currently, “coronavirus” cannot be searched on Scratch Search. so it's kinda limited?

署名は、ディスカッションフォーラムの機能である。署名は、その人のすべての投稿の下部に追加される。署名は、BBCodeで記述できる。 署名を追加/変更/削除したい場合は、ディスカッションフォーラムのホームの一番下に行き、「Change your signature」を押す。署名の大きさは150pxまでである。これには、改行、画像を含む。- Japanese Scratch-Wiki 「署名
fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

No support whatsoever.
You can't just go about and censor anything non serious about serious topics, as long as it doesn't actively target anyone/group of people, who cares? What makes it different than other sickness beside its ongoing? As long as people aren't like “If you have corona, you SUCK,” it's perfectly fine.
2. it can be annoying to scratchers who do not find these comments a single sliver funny or amusing.
Again, you can't censor things just because they are serious. It sort of goes against the Community Guidelines. And, sure, it can be annoying, but unless you're being message spammed, again, who cares? As well as that, so what if people are terrified of illnesses; I don't think making a few haha funnies isn't going to give them a panic attack.
STAY, UNEDITED
simulators (but none where there is sickness and/or death!!)
Isn't the point of the simulators to show sickness and death? Obviously not graphically, but still.
EDIT WORDS
“help stop spread of coronavirus” type projects
Are you saying that the ST should go about and edit each project trying to be helpful to be more helpful? Scratch isn't a news site or a site for information. The creators are trying to be helpful, and that's ok. However, what's not ok is banning everything else that has to do with the coronavirus! It seems violationing, authoritative, and simply not free. I don't think I've ever disagreed with a suggestion as much as this one. There are meager upsides, major downsides, and the community would be in an uproar.

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0
LegoManiac04
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Considering the “Be respectful” part of the Community Guidelines, I would think that projects and comments that are making a joke from the Coronavirus are already not allowed, as they are quite disrespectful, especially to the people that have the virus or have a family member that has it.

For projects that aren't making a joke of it, such as those explaining ways to staying safe are fine, as they quite honestly don't break any Community Guidelines.

fdreerf wrote:

You can't just go about and censor anything non serious about serious topics, as long as it doesn't actively target anyone/group of people, who cares?
People all around the world are dying from this virus every day. Joking about it and not taking it seriously is disrespectful to all the people that have died from it, and is disrespectful to family members of those people. So yes, we should care.

fdreerf wrote:

What makes it different than other sickness beside its ongoing?
The fact that it has a pretty high death rate, a long life on surfaces, people permanently or temporally losing their jobs from it, there currently being no cure, etc…? This, alongside it being very current, makes it very different than any other sickness. And with the younger generations that aren't looking past themselves and aren't taking it seriously, as well as the people that believe our President's shenanigans, and all of this being in an age where memes and social media are huge, it is VERY different than anything else.

fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LegoManiac04 wrote:

People all around the world are dying from this virus every day. Joking about it and not taking it seriously is disrespectful to all the people that have died from it, and is disrespectful to family members of those people. So yes, we should care.
There's a major difference in joking in a disrespectful manner and not a disrespectful one. Saying something like “shouldn't have ate the bat” is disrespectful. Saying something like “We're all going to run out of TP” is not disrespectful.

fdreerf wrote:

What makes it different than other sickness beside its ongoing?
The fact that it has a pretty high death rate, a long life on surfaces, people permanently or temporally losing their jobs from it, there currently being no cure, etc…? This, alongside it being very current, makes it very different than any other sickness. And with the younger generations that aren't looking past themselves and aren't taking it seriously, as well as the people that believe our President's shenanigans, and all of this being in an age where memes and social media are huge, it is VERY different than anything else. Yes, that is true. I will not argue that but fundamentally it is still a virus. Mainly, the jokes are not about the virus, but the media blowing it all out of proportion and the insane reactions some people have. I still believe that if it's not active bullying and disrespectfulness, it shouldn't be bothered with.

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0
scratchykit5743
Scratcher
1000+ posts

i see how you think about this, however, when it comes to my post, you probably mis understood parts of it. you see, when i say “simulator” i mean like a simulator in which virus sprites multiply, and i have seen this type of project before because i have made one of my own, called cats cats cats, and i feel that scratch should be ok with that. when it comes to the joking issues….. well…… some people keep on going and saying super crazy stuff on featured projects that i consider rubbish/trash, like “it's corona time” and “i have the coronavirus” even though they probably do not have it and spamming all over these projects with their witty albeit stupid jokes. the help stop the spread of coronavirus type projects i know are helpful, but in areas without cases or with very low numbers, they may not make sense to some users, but it is cleaning season, and due to the many sicknesses out there, i think all they should do is swap the title thing from coronavirus to germs themselves, both to ease a little worry and still help others be aware of illnesses everywhere. but the other types, such as projects filled with the witty stupid jokes again, they should be deleted due to inappropriateness and annoyance of some users (like me)

that is all of this disclosure.

For whatever reason mister Jon Arbuckle got removed ;-; I'll find a replacement GIF later

Anyways hi, I'm SK

I have a major addiction to sweet tea and draw a crap ton of stuff in my free time (not all of which is scratch appropriate). I post whatever I want to on the main site and mostly manage the collaborations directory and answer questions in QaS on the forums

I have over 2000 posts lol, a huge chunk of them being from when I was 11-12 during the height of COVID

If by any chance the post you''re reading is from early 2021 or before, please forget that post exists since it is cringey

This is Kimikat.
     (OwO)
chrdagos
Scratcher
500+ posts

scratchykit5743 wrote:

so? jokes about Ebola were made when it was in the news.

scratchykit5743 wrote:

why would someone be annoyed at a joke they don't find funny?

scratchykit5743 wrote:

and?

honestly, i think that the media is exaggerating this COVID-19 thing. and it's not helpful that some people are like
(removed by moderator - please don't spread harmful misinformation)

Last edited by Paddle2See (March 23, 2020 22:49:42)

scratchykit5743
Scratcher
1000+ posts

1. well ebola was mostly in africa and i dont think the USA got it, so bad reference, chrdagos.

2. when you see something multiple times that you don't really care about/like it gets annoying quickly. also, compare corona to fish in this quote from benjamin franklin: “fish and visitors stink in three days!”

3. yes i mean it…. some people have a phobia or germs and may get all when they see anything mentioning viruses and/or other harmful microscopic organisms in scratch…..

Anyways hi, I'm SK

This is Kimikat.
     (OwO)
fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

scratchykit5743 wrote:

1. well ebola was mostly in africa and i dont think the USA got it, so bad reference, chrdagos.
Ebola was way more serious than “oh no, contagious pneumonia!” at least when it came to symptoms.
2. when you see something multiple times that you don't really care about/like it gets annoying quickly. also, compare corona to fish in this quote from benjamin franklin: “fish and visitors stink in three days!”
Bad analogy. You can ignore comments on Scratch by *shocker* scrolling down!
3. yes i mean it…. some people have a phobia or germs and may get all when they see anything mentioning viruses and/or other harmful microscopic organisms in scratch…..
People are afraid contracting the illnesses of germs, not the germs themselves.

Last edited by fdreerf (March 23, 2020 21:54:17)

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0
Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Thanks for your feedback on this. Of course, it is a serious situation. However, it is also true that many people deal with stressful situations by trying to put a humorous spin on things. It's a way of trying to feel more in control of an environment that seems chaotic and out of control at times.

With that in mind, if you see things on Scratch that you feel are inappropriate for all Scratchers, please feel free to use the Report buttons. Our moderators will look at what you report and decide on an individual case-by-case basis at this time.

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;