Discuss Scratch

AutumnLunarMoon
Scratcher
100+ posts

swc announcements

Hello SWC! This is Moony again, representing the yearbook committee. The cover contest is over, so the voting will take place. Please look at this project, and vote. Anyone can vote! Before you look at the project, please read the whole description of the project to assure you know what to do. Thanks!

If you have questions, please post them on the project, not here.

-IcicIe-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

swc announcements

these are just a few pet peeves of mine, so i thought i would bring them to y'all's attention

please don't comment on my profile, a leader's profile, in your cabin or the main cabin if the daily is two minutes late. we're not always going to be able to be on at exactly 12am est. i'm personally in school at that point, (yes, school in australia is still going) and a lot of other leaders would likely be asleep.

the people who do this know who you are, and i know there are a lot of people who don't do this, but it's really annoying for me to come home and log onto scratch and see ten messages in the main cabin or on my profile saying ‘the daily is 14 minutes late!!’ if it's two hours late, then that would likely be a bit of a problem, and i can see why you would be… distressed over that.

if a daily has no points listed for it, then there are no points for it. no point commenting in the main cabin saying 'done daily for insert your cabin here' it just adds more messages to the main cabin. these activities are generally focused on either improving your writing or having fun. you can earn in-cabin points from this but no points in the main cabin.

i think that's it. thank you!

and please remember don't post in this forum! it should really only be moony and i commenting here.

Last edited by -IcicIe- (March 19, 2020 06:03:31)

-IcicIe-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

swc announcements

a few reminders:

only literary writing counts! this includes well-thought out emails, essays, debates, and obviously, short stories, novels, poems, etc.

things that don't count are school notes, texts, and so on.

you can only have reserves of 10k at a time! for those of you who don't know, reserves are a strategy where other cabins don't know how many words they need to write in order to beat you. so basically, my word count is currently sitting at 24,900, but if i had a 10k reserve, i could actually have 34,900. (i don't actually have one though, don't worry!)

if either of these rules doesn't make sense, make sure to ask either me or your cabin leader!

FloraFauna_SS
Scratcher
1000+ posts

swc announcements

-IcicIe- wrote:

the people who do this know who you are, and i know there are a lot of people who don't do this, but it's really annoying for me to come home and log onto scratch and see ten messages in the main cabin or on my profile saying ‘the daily is 14 minutes late!!’ if it's two hours late, then that would likely be a bit of a problem, and i can see why you would be… distressed over that.
also it's literally an online writing camp, go about your day and don't get freaked out. if it's over an hour late check to see if any leaders are obviously online and contact them, as opposed to spamming people while they're asleep or busy. you have 24 hours to do the daily, surely it will not end you to have an hour less.

Chromesthesia
Scratcher
100+ posts

swc announcements

Les Misérables Word Crawl
modified to be scratch-appropriate, original crawl from WikiWrimo
Remember all word wars you can substitute for word sprints

Act I
Prologue (Look Down): Your time is up and your parole’s begun! Add 24601 to your word count and sprint the last 3 digits.

What Have I Done: Valjean’s life was a war that could never be won, but you can win a 10-minute word war!

At The End of the Day: Your child needs a doctor and there’s no time to lose! Sprint to your next thousand.

I Dreamed A Dream: You dreamed a dream of writing a novel. Write 200 words to make it come true.

Lovely Ladies: Ten francs may save Fantine’s poor Cosette, and ten minutes may make all the difference for your novel. Sprint for ten minutes.

Who am I?: If you stay silent, you are doomed! Write 150 words to reveal your true identity.

Fantine’s Death (Come to Me): How fast the minutes fly away, and every minute colder! Sprint for 5 minutes. Record how many words you wrote for later use.

The Confrontation: Confront a friend (or an enemy) to a 5-minute word war.

Castle on a Cloud: Escape to your own castle on a cloud and take a break for the duration of the song.

Master of the House: Here a little slice, there a little cut. Sprint 3% of your current word count.

The Waltz of Treachery/ The Bargain: No more words— here’s your price. Word war to 1500 words for your sacrifice.

Stars: Those who falter and those who fall must pay the price! If you lost the word war, write 100 extra words.

Look Down- Beggars: Only one man, and that’s LaMarque, speaks for the people here below. Join him by writing 250 words.

The Robbery/ Javert’s Intervention: Run for it, it’s Javert! Sprint to 200 in 5 minutes.

ABC Cafe/ Red and Black: Who cares about your lonely soul? We strive toward a larger goal! Write 2 times as much as you wrote for “Fantine’s Death.”

Do You Hear The People Sing?: Join in the fight that will give you the right to be free! Engage in a word war of your choice.

In My Life: There are words better unheard, better unsaid. Take a break for at least 10 minutes.

A Heart Full of Love: Won’t you say? Will you tell? Write 200 words to introduce yourself to Marius.

One Day More: Tomorrow we’ll discover what our God in heaven has in store! Until then, try for a 50-headed hydra.

Act II
On My Own: “But I know–it’s only in my mind…” Put your thoughts on paper instead and sprint for 15 minutes.

Building the Barricade (Upon These Stones): You at the barricade listen to this! Do 3 rounds of 100-word sprints

Little People: Bravo, little Gavroche, you’re the top of the class! Write 200 words to congratulate the youngest revolutionary.

Little Fall of Rain: Now write 200 words to heal Eponine’s wounds with words of love.

The First Attack: It’s the revolutionaries against the French army! Choose your side in a 20-minute word war.

Drink With Me: Write 100 words as you toast days gone by.

Bring Him Home: “Let him rest, heaven blessed.” Take a quick break.

The Second Attack/ Death of Gavroche: Fight like twenty armies and don’t give up— push yourself and write to the end of the scene you’re on.

Dog Eat Dog (The Sewers): “Another hour yet, and then I’m yours, and all our debts are paid.” Try to write 1K in that hour.

Javert’s Death: It is either Valjean or Javert! Do a 5-minute word war to determine the victor.

Turning: Did you see them going off to fight? Clean up the barricades by proofreading your last chapter/scene and correcting any mistakes.

Empty Chairs at Empty Tables: Help Marius deal with the loss of his friends by writing 200 words.

Beggars at the FeastSprint to your next thousand to get to Valjean before he dies.

Epilogue: Somewhere beyond the barricade is there a world you long to see? Too bad—you have a novel to finish! See how much you can write in 30 minutes.

Last edited by Chromesthesia (March 24, 2020 21:04:42)

-IcicIe-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

swc announcements

reminder that the writing competition closes today, in roughly 2 hours and 20 minutes

AutumnLunarMoon
Scratcher
100+ posts

swc announcements

Hey, y’all! This is Moony, representing the yearbook committee. Thanks to everyone who helps out, it means a lot! We’ll be hopefully releasing the yearbook when the results are released, fyi.

Now, the front cover contest winners! I’m going to list the top five of each category.

5th place: A4 (ZoeIIa; 9 votes)
4th place: A3 (Foxies4Ever; 13 votes)
3rd place: A5 (WaterGlider02; 15 votes)
2nd place: A17 (AutumnLunarMoon; 31 votes)
1st place: A8 (moonlark-; 33 votes)

The #2-5 places will be recognized in the yearbook! #1's cover is featured on the yearbook cover! Now, onto the back cover!

Now, the back cover! Top five from each category, except there will be six winners listed because there was a tie for third.

5th place: B10 (FollowCherryBlossom; 9 votes)
4th place: B6 (Mockingjade; 10 votes)
3rd place: Tie between B2 and B7 (ZoeIIa and honeybreeze; 27 votes)
2nd place: B4 (moonlark-; 35 votes)
1st place: B9 (AutumnLunarMoon; 37 votes)

Haha, I was literally shaking counting up the back covers because moonlark- and I were so close the whole time.

The winning back cover will be featured on the back of the yearbook, however, if you were in the top five you’ll be recognized, just like the front cover

Congrats to the winners, but really, everyone who participated by either entering, voting, or both! It really helps to make the yearbook a success.

If you want to congratulate the winners, please congratulate them on their profile. Remember, don’t post here! Thanks for respecting that.

Does anyone find it strange that @moonlark- and I both won one category and got second place in the other, and in both contests we had a two-vote difference? c o i n c i d e n c e o r n o t

-IcicIe-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

swc announcements

so it's end of camp soon…

that's sad! i don't want camp to end! i hope you have all had a great time participating in swc this session, and i hope you'll all consider joining for our july!

when do we stop writing?

11:59pm your timezone on march 31st. not est

when does the weekly finish?

11:59pm est on march 31st. and yes, this means that even if you're in a timezone like australia, you can keep writing for the weekly on april 1st! however, this will only count for the weekly, not for words.

when do my words need to be in by?

good question! you get until 11:59pm est on april 3rd to turn in your words.

when will results be out?

i'm aiming for results to be out within the first week of april. but, this all depends on the writing contest judges! i definitely won't have them out before the 3rd, because you'll still be submitting final word counts! no pressure on you though, writi, flora and sc! take as long as you need to come to an agreement :)

when are writing competition results announced?

in the same project as the main results.

how are results calculated?

also a very good question! this is what is involved in calculating the final counts of cabins:
your points in the main cabin + the number of words you have written as a cabin + any points you may earn from the writing competition

so if you win big in the writing competition, it could accelerate you a few places!

i think that's it! if you have any other questions, ask me on my profile, or your leaders

-IcicIe-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

swc announcements

hey swc! results are now out <33 https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/351761133/

thank you for an amazing session!

AutumnLunarMoon
Scratcher
100+ posts

swc announcements

hey guys! the memory book is out! https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/384817955/ thank you so much for a wonderful session!

forinahlovesanimals
Scratcher
100+ posts

swc announcements

-IcicIe- wrote:

okay, i'll just start this by saying moony (autumnlunarmoon) will be posting here on occasion about the yearbook that is being created. she has my permission and i'm sure she won't abuse this right to post here

but now onto the fun stuff- it's cabin wars!

i'll do this in the style of an faq, including some of the most commonly asked questions about cabin wars.

what are cabin wars?
cabin wars occur twice a month. they're a special daily activity where, instead of earning points, you can lose points. you'll use the list of potential wars in the main cabin and copy and paste these to other cabins. once you post this, that cabin must begin the war, no matter what time it is for them. (so yes, even if you're in est and you get attacked over night and you'e unaware of it, you still lose points if no one sees the war) (you have to trust people in other timezones to complete the wars!)

once you've been warred, you have a 30 minute shield. this means no cabin can war you or else they lose points. your cabin can also not war a cabin twice in a row. for example, say mystery wars sci-fi at 12am est, sci fi has a shield until 12:30am est. mystery cannot war them until another cabin, let's say, fantasy, has warred them at 12:30am est. the next time mystery can war them is 1am est. if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask your cabin leader!

and also, a cabin can only be warred 5 times a day!

what happens if i break one of these rules?
if you war a cabin during their shield, or you war them for a sixth time, or your cabin wars them twice in a row, you lose the amount of points the war originally had.

can words count for two wars?
if you have two wars going at once, you can only write for one at a time.

what can i write during a cabin war?

anything! so long as it still fits the rules of what you can write in swc, it counts! you can even work on the weekly, and multitask at both of them (this is what i'm going to do!)

who can i attack during cabin wars?
this is where allies, enemies and neutrals come in!

this is just general relationships between cabins- make sure to check that these apply with your cabin:
allies: you usually never attack these people. if you do, expect a lot of retaliation!
neutrals: you may or may not attack them. sometimes you do, sometimes you don't. i know that i rarely attack neutrals, unless if they attacked me first!
enemies: ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK! it's just a friendly rivalry, though

also! you are unable to give an ally the war ‘no writing for an hour’ with the intention to simply waste a war. if no one's writing, there's not much point in sending that war. it probably hasn't crossed any of your minds, but it has happened before

that's about it! if you have any questions, ask your cabin leader or me. have fun in cabin wars >:)

and remember

SLEEP AND HOMEWORK AND IMPORTANT STUFF LIKE THAT OVER SWC AND CABIN WARS
What is cabin wars? Also how do you get your signature to be a picture?
g-monkey07
Scratcher
60 posts

swc announcements

What is cabin wars? Also how do you get your signature to be a picture?
this forum thread is from March 2020's swc. Ask in the july 2020 swc studio (wherever it is)
Artist-707
Scratcher
54 posts

swc announcements

Are we able to unfollow this thread?
StarriCerulean
Scratcher
100+ posts

swc announcements

Artist-707 wrote:

Are we able to unfollow this thread?
of course

12 || Flute || Writer || Ravenclaw || INTP-T || Child of Apollo || Scorpio
StarriCerulean
Scratcher
100+ posts

swc announcements

Moderators, you may want to close this since it is no longer in use.

12 || Flute || Writer || Ravenclaw || INTP-T || Child of Apollo || Scorpio