Discuss Scratch

b1048546
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Join the Mario Crew! New Super Mario Bros Wii game. Coders needed!

Jimmyrooster wrote:

Hello, I am back. I understand there is going to be save data… I could make it for you if you tell me what you want to save. I can also try and solve the physics bug if you tell me how you broke it.

Criticism for the new menu:
The intro takes like 3 minutes that I won't spend every time I want to run this project.
Weirdly sometimes it doesn't play.
The extras button text moves when highlighted.
The credits take ages and don't stop when you click back and the title goes to the wrong place.
The controls are quite hard to read, perhaps a black square or drop-down shadow or something.
Perhaps re-add the click to get off the screen with Mario running to make it mobile friendly. I don't really like pixel effect. Perhaps a simple glide off would be better.
Also it is bad practice to use wait X secs to sync everything (and very messy).
The clones for the buttons where a simple way to simplify the sprites tab. As they get destroyed they don't effect the clone count in game.
I want to save the lives, x position, y position, what powerup you have, and anything else you can think of to save.
T-tario
Scratcher
100+ posts

bump

Jimmyrooster
Scratcher
100+ posts

Questions:
Do you want the pause between the question block frames in animation?
Do you want sounds in the start?
Do you want the scrolling background parallax effect?
Should we keep the new ground? (if so we might want to change it on the word 1-1 screen)
The ground leans over a bit so Mario can't jump high if he is standing next to the wall. The jagged edges don't look very nice in my opinion so should we make them strait?
Goombas just go back and forth on patrol?

The file size:
Looking at the file size it is 46.6mb
Converting the .sb3 file to a .zip file gives us a good idea of what is using up the space. Here are the main causes:
There are some very large WAV (uncompressed audio) files. Up to 6.8mb. Consider shortening them and converting them to MP3 (compressed audio up to 10x smaller).
Next is the backgrounds that have many duplicates (menu credits, main menu, menu controls etc.) Maybe we should use 1 backdrop and some broadcasts.
Next there is the coins and lives counter. These are about 429kb per file but thereis about 60 of them. Perhaps leave the icons as one costume and digits as other costumes then use clones or stamping.
What is your target with the file size?

V0.21:
I made V0.21 here (http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/376354145/). It fixes all menu bugs (I think) and physics bugs. I will make goombas for tomorrow.

Remember, we live in a bread based economy.
-Them

That's exciting!
-Jimmyrooster
b1048546
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Jimmyrooster wrote:

Questions:
Do you want the pause between the question block frames in animation?
Do you want sounds in the start?
Do you want the scrolling background parallax effect?
Should we keep the new ground? (if so we might want to change it on the word 1-1 screen)
The ground leans over a bit so Mario can't jump high if he is standing next to the wall. The jagged edges don't look very nice in my opinion so should we make them strait?
Goombas just go back and forth on patrol?

The file size:
Looking at the file size it is 46.6mb
Converting the .sb3 file to a .zip file gives us a good idea of what is using up the space. Here are the main causes:
There are some very large WAV (uncompressed audio) files. Up to 6.8mb. Consider shortening them and converting them to MP3 (compressed audio up to 10x smaller).
Next is the backgrounds that have many duplicates (menu credits, main menu, menu controls etc.) Maybe we should use 1 backdrop and some broadcasts.
Next there is the coins and lives counter. These are about 429kb per file but thereis about 60 of them. Perhaps leave the icons as one costume and digits as other costumes then use clones or stamping.
What is your target with the file size?

V0.21:
I made V0.21 here (http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/376354145/). It fixes all menu bugs (I think) and physics bugs. I will make goombas for tomorrow.
Yes to all the first paragraph questions. Can you help reducing the file size? About the file size goal, what is the lowest it can be if we make everything more efficient?
Jimmyrooster
Scratcher
100+ posts

b1048546 wrote:

Jimmyrooster wrote:

snip
Yes to all the first paragraph questions. Can you help reducing the file size? About the file size goal, what is the lowest it can be if we make everything more efficient?
The sounds are about 30mb all together so if we reduced them by 1/5 then they would be 6mb taking away 24mb from the total size.

-Them

That's exciting!
-Jimmyrooster
T-tario
Scratcher
100+ posts

bUmP

b1048546
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Jimmyrooster wrote:

b1048546 wrote:

Jimmyrooster wrote:

snip
The sounds are about 30mb all together so if we reduced them by 1/5 then they would be 6mb taking away 24mb from the total size.
Hmm, is there a way to make it even smaller? Also, since I’ve answered your questions can you try to do it today?
Jimmyrooster
Scratcher
100+ posts

b1048546 wrote:

Jimmyrooster wrote:

snip
Hmm, is there a way to make it even smaller? Also, since I’ve answered your questions can you try to do it today?
Removing the duplicate backgrounds could take away another 2mb

Edit: The thing is we have got a lot of art and sound and so that will make the file size pretty big.

Last edited by Jimmyrooster (March 23, 2020 18:56:11)

-Them

That's exciting!
-Jimmyrooster
b1048546
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Jimmyrooster wrote:

b1048546 wrote:

Jimmyrooster wrote:

snip
Removing the duplicate backgrounds could take away another 2mb
Alright, can you answer my other question? Also, I just want to make it as tiny as possible, so is there a way to make it really really small?
Jimmyrooster
Scratcher
100+ posts

b1048546 wrote:

Jimmyrooster wrote:

snip
Alright, can you answer my other question? Also, I just want to make it as tiny as possible, so is there a way to make it really really small?

The thing is we have got a lot of art and sound and so that will make the file size pretty big.
I will start on the goombas but I don't have much time.

-Them

That's exciting!
-Jimmyrooster
b1048546
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Jimmyrooster wrote:

b1048546 wrote:

Jimmyrooster wrote:

snip

The thing is we have got a lot of art and sound and so that will make the file size pretty big.
Ok, that’s fine. I just wonder how super mario scralaxy made their file size so small. The reason I was asking you is because you’ve probably heard that the file size limit has been removed.
Jimmyrooster
Scratcher
100+ posts

Jimmyrooster wrote:

b1048546 wrote:

Jimmyrooster wrote:

snip

Wiki:
Delete all sprites and scripts which are not used
Delete variables and lists which are unused
Use stamping and cloning instead of lots of sprites when possible
Delete all sound files that are not used, as they take up a lot of space
Use custom blocks to reduce script sizes
Use vector graphics instead of bitmap graphics (especially for simple costumes like circles and boxes)
Use lower quality images and sounds with lower file sizes

-Them

That's exciting!
-Jimmyrooster
b1048546
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Jimmyrooster wrote:

Jimmyrooster wrote:

b1048546 wrote:

Jimmyrooster wrote:

snip

Wiki:
Delete all sprites and scripts which are not used
Delete variables and lists which are unused
Use stamping and cloning instead of lots of sprites when possible
Delete all sound files that are not used, as they take up a lot of space
Use custom blocks to reduce script sizes
Use vector graphics instead of bitmap graphics (especially for simple costumes like circles and boxes)
Use lower quality images and sounds with lower file sizes
You remixed my older version… I updated after you remixed because you never shared it… I removed all that stuff. No worries, I’ll remove it in V0.23.
Annabanana3
Scratcher
1 post

b1048546 wrote:

Jimmyrooster wrote:

snip
You remixed my older version… I updated after you remixed because you never shared it… I removed all that stuff. No worries, I’ll remove it in V0.23.
OK
-Vectoriii-
Scratcher
4 posts

Application form: Yes
Username: @-Vectoriii-
What do you want us to call you: Vector
What jobs do you want: Art, Level Design, and Music
Anything we should know: I love scratch
Why should we pick you: I'm an excellent artist and I can now do level design, you know, even though I don't play Mario games, I gain information from people's gameplay. SO, Ummm. I really think that I will and can be an excellent contributor of this studio
How much do you Scratch out of 10: 8.64
Other: N/A
b1048546
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-Vectoriii- wrote:

Application form: Yes
Username: @-Vectoriii-
What do you want us to call you: Vector
What jobs do you want: Art, Level Design, and Music
Anything we should know: I love scratch
Why should we pick you: I'm an excellent artist and I can now do level design, you know, even though I don't play Mario games, I gain information from people's gameplay. SO, Ummm. I really think that I will and can be an excellent contributor of this studio
How much do you Scratch out of 10: 8.64
Other: N/A
You actually don't need to submit another application. I see T-tario accepted your request in the studio.