Discuss Scratch

NolanAwesome
Scratcher
500+ posts

Featured users

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

So to feature a Scratcher, another user must provide an explanation of his/her potential, creativity, helpfulness, honesty, or other traits that should be praised in the community. The Scratch Team can only feature one user a day, and users can remain featured indefinitely until another user is elected. Here are some reasons users may be featured:
This user was featured because (s)he helped dozens of other Scratchers with their scripts on the forums.
This user was featured because (s)he created many helpful tutorials for other users to benefit from.
This user was featured because (s)he dedicated his/her time to stop online bullying and gave many nice comments.
That's exactly what I was saying.

ey em bord.
Scratchers to check out:
- DravenN
- SUPERMAR
- -Sunset-
- whadada
NOLAN | NO, ACTIVE, FOLLOWERS
(no really, no views on my projects)
Give me an internet
NolanAwesome
Scratcher
500+ posts

Featured users

BUMP

ey em bord.
Scratchers to check out:
- DravenN
- SUPERMAR
- -Sunset-
- whadada
NOLAN | NO, ACTIVE, FOLLOWERS
(no really, no views on my projects)
Give me an internet
PullJosh
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Featured users

Failord wrote:

Hmmm… again, this has been suggested many times to the ST.

I can't offer my opinion, because, well, I have none. Here's why:

Pros:
Scratchers with more experience get their work seen more.
Featured Scratchers get a morale boost.
The community gets to see examples of the best ways to use Scratch.
More focus on quality.
Popularity spreading from Featured Scratchers to the others that show up linked in their profiles.
New Scratchers who need a boost and get featured will feel much more encouraged.

And now, unfortuately, the
Cons:
Featured Scratchers bragging.
New Scratchers might feel discouraged by this.
Spam-like “feature me!” requests. (I mean more stuff like this. It's a con with almost any suggestion.)
Farther imbalance from focus on projects to a Scratcher's popularity.
Hate messages: “You think you're so cool ‘cause you’re featured but you're not” type of thing.
More work for the Scratch Team. (Another con that is almost universal.)
When featured Scratchers turn rotten or do stupid things.

Perhaps the Pros list should be longer. If anyone can name some stuff I forgot, let me know.
You bring up some very good points.

Maybe a “newest users” section instead? (It could function like newest projects, only with users)
NolanAwesome
Scratcher
500+ posts

Featured users

PullJosh wrote:

Failord wrote:

Hmmm… again, this has been suggested many times to the ST.

I can't offer my opinion, because, well, I have none. Here's why:

Pros:
Scratchers with more experience get their work seen more.
Featured Scratchers get a morale boost.
The community gets to see examples of the best ways to use Scratch.
More focus on quality.
Popularity spreading from Featured Scratchers to the others that show up linked in their profiles.
New Scratchers who need a boost and get featured will feel much more encouraged.

And now, unfortuately, the
Cons:
Featured Scratchers bragging.
New Scratchers might feel discouraged by this.
Spam-like “feature me!” requests. (I mean more stuff like this. It's a con with almost any suggestion.)
Farther imbalance from focus on projects to a Scratcher's popularity.
Hate messages: “You think you're so cool ‘cause you’re featured but you're not” type of thing.
More work for the Scratch Team. (Another con that is almost universal.)
When featured Scratchers turn rotten or do stupid things.

Perhaps the Pros list should be longer. If anyone can name some stuff I forgot, let me know.
You bring up some very good points.

Maybe a “newest users” section instead? (It could function like newest projects, only with users)
Actually, that's a really good idea! But I still want the people to see some of their projects and stuff. So I'm not sure.

ey em bord.
Scratchers to check out:
- DravenN
- SUPERMAR
- -Sunset-
- whadada
NOLAN | NO, ACTIVE, FOLLOWERS
(no really, no views on my projects)
Give me an internet
NolanAwesome
Scratcher
500+ posts

Featured users

BUMP

ey em bord.
Scratchers to check out:
- DravenN
- SUPERMAR
- -Sunset-
- whadada
NOLAN | NO, ACTIVE, FOLLOWERS
(no really, no views on my projects)
Give me an internet
Icey29
Scratcher
500+ posts

Featured users

Semi-Support. I can't decide- let the ST choose

Icey29 / apt

team 4645, likes programming (a lot!) not too active anymore, but feel free to message me elsewhere
Julianthewiki
Scratcher
100+ posts

Featured users

Neutral.

Julianthewiki | Double the Fun | Double the Thrill | Double the Coolness

Daydream: A Book By Julianthewiki | Official Studio | Chapter 1 | Chapter 2 | Chapter 3
World Population Clock | 24,618,660 | Learn More | Suggest Ideas
Two Year Anniversary Special | 101,405,320 | Learn More
Belated Happy Pi Day! | 102,312,109
AonymousGuy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Featured users

Okay, looking over at this thread again, I've decided that I support. However - I think that there should be maybe one featured user at a time (or maybe a few, but not as many as featured projects), for about a week, with a description under them telling why they are featured.

Now this is where my idea for this is going: the user being featured isn't necessarily because of good projects, but because they set a good example. So there is a lot of focus on what other users can do better.

But users should still be featured to showcase their programming skills, especially if they do things that make it easier for newer users to learn like comment out their code and make it easily understandable. After all, Scratch is educational, and this could greatly improve the learning curve.
NolanAwesome
Scratcher
500+ posts

Featured users

AonymousGuy wrote:

Okay, looking over at this thread again, I've decided that I support. However - I think that there should be maybe one featured user at a time (or maybe a few, but not as many as featured projects), for about a week, with a description under them telling why they are featured.

Now this is where my idea for this is going: the user being featured isn't necessarily because of good projects, but because they set a good example. So there is a lot of focus on what other users can do better.

But users should still be featured to showcase their programming skills, especially if they do things that make it easier for newer users to learn like comment out their code and make it easily understandable. After all, Scratch is educational, and this could greatly improve the learning curve.
That's what I'm trying to say. But there will still be ones who have good projects.

ey em bord.
Scratchers to check out:
- DravenN
- SUPERMAR
- -Sunset-
- whadada
NOLAN | NO, ACTIVE, FOLLOWERS
(no really, no views on my projects)
Give me an internet
AonymousGuy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Featured users

NolanAwesome wrote:

AonymousGuy wrote:

Okay, looking over at this thread again, I've decided that I support. However - I think that there should be maybe one featured user at a time (or maybe a few, but not as many as featured projects), for about a week, with a description under them telling why they are featured.

Now this is where my idea for this is going: the user being featured isn't necessarily because of good projects, but because they set a good example. So there is a lot of focus on what other users can do better.

But users should still be featured to showcase their programming skills, especially if they do things that make it easier for newer users to learn like comment out their code and make it easily understandable. After all, Scratch is educational, and this could greatly improve the learning curve.
That's what I'm trying to say.
Oh, okay.
ImMaximum
Scratcher
100+ posts

Featured users

The only reason I don't support is that you didn't give me any specifics. Who exactly could be chosen? Can you give examples? Pros and cons? What are some more benefits with this?

For now, until this is expanded upon, I currently don't support.

Hello friends, and welcome to another Forum Post where I will probably be saying something really nice or really unnecessary. Please like and subscribe to my comments and have a great day. Also, DINOSAURS :D
WASDgamer
Scratcher
100+ posts

Featured users

ImMaximum wrote:

The only reason I don't support is that you didn't give me any specifics. Who exactly could be chosen? Can you give examples? Pros and cons? What are some more benefits with this?

For now, until this is expanded upon, I currently don't support.
You obviously jumped through pages 2-3 and possibly even 1 and 4. All those pages have reasons supporting and against the matter, not all information comes from the origin post, so make sure you read all replies for the pros and cons.


A 3D Space role-playing game, where you can mine, explore and fight your way through a massive galaxy!
mathman314
Scratcher
100+ posts

Featured users

Support!

'merica
IceCube291
Scratcher
100+ posts

Featured users

Support
Scratchter03
Scratcher
100+ posts

Featured users

Support!




———————————————-
I am the all- seeing BANANA!

So the kumquat army is taking over Scratch, eh? Well, there is a prophecy…

There is one who was chosen by the Scratch Team…
That will defend from the-

*Prophecy eaten by evil Kumquat*

; <——- Also a member of the Semicolon Preservation Society! :)
WketchupReturns
Scratcher
8 posts

Featured users

Support
Greatguy123
Scratcher
500+ posts

Featured users

I support. However, I'm not sure if the featured projects bar is really to get unnoticed Scratchers noticed, but to show people on the site what Scratch can do.

The evil if block is hungry! >:-D
KingOfAwesome58219
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Featured users

Support



RandomPerson1789
Scratcher
100+ posts

Featured users

no support
inflicts jealousy among scratchers. featured projects are already bad enough
(Yes, I don't support featured projects)

Last edited by RandomPerson1789 (June 21, 2014 20:02:54)

Blaze349
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Featured users

RandomPerson1789 wrote:

no support
inflicts jealousy among scratchers. featured projects are already bad enough
(Yes, I don't support featured projects)
Whats wrong with featured projects?

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile