Discuss Scratch

joshuaho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ITopic - What is or isn't ok to share on Scratch?

NiciEu wrote:

Hey, are there any copyright rules? I've made a Legend of Zelda game, drew my own art but used actual LOZ tunes, as well as a song from Howl's Moving Castle (a movie). If I publish it, is there a chance it might be removed for copyright infringement?

Thanks!
Well, if someone copies your project, you could flag it with a descriptive reason.

College student studying Communication and Fire Technology, communication lab tutor, guitar and piano player, perfectionist, and just some guy who regularly eats and trains physically to stay healthy.
ProdigyZeta7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Would it be appropriate to report a comment that is just a bunch of random text? i.e. doadbnaslf;cshbnaeio;dkfjasdfo aisdff194124516341
Also, there are some people who create projects that trick users into viewing them, such as the Minecraft joke where several users claimed to create Minecraft, and once they viewed it, the project was a hoax and everyone was complaining. I'd say, if there are projects that are just to troll people, I suggest we report them so they won't do such immodest acts.

EDIT: I do remember something about ‘not sharing projects that contain blood’ in the Community Guidelines. To what extent does this rule apply? Is there an exception to the “clan” projects that many users make? I'm quite squeamish around bodily fluids, so I think it would be appropriate if violent and/or gory/bloody concepts in projects weren't around for young Scratchers and I to see. I respect others' projects, because that's their business, not mine, but if the rules are broke because of their business, then is it okay to do something about it?

Last edited by ProdigyZeta7 (June 15, 2013 02:22:20)

StarBender
New to Scratch
4 posts

A friend and I created a game that used a Youtube remix of the ‘Nyan Cat’ song. We gave the author credit for the song in the credits, and my friend messaged the remixer after we had created and posted our project, asking if he was fine with us using his song (it was free to download). If the creator doesn't like what we did, we'll remove the song, but, if he doesn't care, I just wanted to ask if using the song was okay in Scratch guidelines.
7734f
Scratcher
500+ posts

StarBender wrote:

A friend and I created a game that used a Youtube remix of the ‘Nyan Cat’ song. We gave the author credit for the song in the credits, and my friend messaged the remixer after we had created and posted our project, asking if he was fine with us using his song (it was free to download). If the creator doesn't like what we did, we'll remove the song, but, if he doesn't care, I just wanted to ask if using the song was okay in Scratch guidelines.

Yes, it's ok.

saltine
Scratcher
18 posts

Quite a few people have had the problem of art stealing, where somebody takes their art without giving permission. People have made projects against this where you can sign if you disagree with art stealing. Somebody said that if you sign this you might get banned. Is that true? I am very much against stealing art but I don't want to get banned for speaking up against it.

Have a nice day!!
joshuaho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

saltine wrote:

Quite a few people have had the problem of art stealing, where somebody takes their art without giving permission. People have made projects against this where you can sign if you disagree with art stealing. Somebody said that if you sign this you might get banned. Is that true? I am very much against stealing art but I don't want to get banned for speaking up against it.
Well, it is right to be against it.

College student studying Communication and Fire Technology, communication lab tutor, guitar and piano player, perfectionist, and just some guy who regularly eats and trains physically to stay healthy.
Nerdyboy6057
Scratcher
8 posts

Hi there.

There seems to be a lot of confusion and frustration over having content that is generally acceptable, but probably not completely foolproof or globally appropriate. The same could be said for a lot of other things, but I think there may be a kind of solution… -ish.

What if there was a feature which allowed users to specify a target age group (notice my use of the word ‘target’ instead of ‘recommended’; I mean different things) for their projects? I mean more of a ‘mature audiences’ kind of thing.
StarscreamClone
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Quick question regarding MMORPG's on Scratch (as I'm interested in creating a few myself).

Is a whitelist of words okay to implement in it so that it's somewhat free chat, but other words aren't allowed?

Somewhere in my 20s | He/It
Workin' on my degree in computer science and cognitive science, and the future president of 2036!

Surge is my imaginary husband - he's the guy in my icon!
ProdigyZeta7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

StarscreamClone wrote:

Quick question regarding MMORPG's on Scratch (as I'm interested in creating a few myself).

Is a whitelist of words okay to implement in it so that it's somewhat free chat, but other words aren't allowed?
If you are willing to add thousands of words to a whitelist, then yes. But I think its much easier and safer to skip the whole chat thing.

ProdigyZeta7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Comment deleted.

Last edited by ProdigyZeta7 (June 30, 2013 15:40:54)

Mistop
Scratcher
51 posts

I know “open” chat rooms are not allowed, but would it be permitted to make one that has pre- chosen appropriate phrases to be created, simmilar to the “Ultra- safe chat” add on in club penguin. Just asking.

Awnsered!

Last edited by Mistop (June 24, 2013 17:31:14)

< (e) = ((m) * ((c) * (c)))>
TreasureChest
Scratcher
54 posts

I have done this in the past and not been banned so I want to double check if I add a tiny bit of blood (e.g. he got hit and he has cut NOT beheaded or blood everywhere) i that OK? btw I also put a warning that there is blood.

I am TreasureChest, I make remixes and animations. Instead of being like most remixers where they just add the character and that is that I try to make mine detailed as possible.
mintfang
Scratcher
100+ posts

So, I'm making a PMV of a song that has the word drunk in it, and I was wondering if that was allowed or should I take that one part down on the project I was describing it in?

Hey! I'm back!
cheddargirl
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

TreasureChest wrote:

I have done this in the past and not been banned so I want to double check if I add a tiny bit of blood (e.g. he got hit and he has cut NOT beheaded or blood everywhere) i that OK? btw I also put a warning that there is blood.

mintfang wrote:

So, I'm making a PMV of a song that has the word drunk in it, and I was wondering if that was allowed or should I take that one part down on the project I was describing it in?
Hard to say without knowing the full context, thought as far as I understand your posts, both your project will likely be allowed, but will end up getting a marking of NFE, which means that they will never be allowed on the front page.

Sadly, my forum signature was eaten by an evil kumquat.
mintfang
Scratcher
100+ posts

cheddargirl wrote:

TreasureChest wrote:

mintfang wrote:

Hard to say without knowing the full context, thought as far as I understand your posts, both your project will likely be allowed, but will end up getting a marking of NFE, which means that they will never be allowed on the front page.
Okay, thanks!

Hey! I'm back!
oedipuswreck
New to Scratch
7 posts

Are you allowed to use your real first name?

Through the use of his sight/blindness motif, Sophocles shows the world to be a place where knowledge has as much destructive potential as a two-edged sword.
ProdigyZeta7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

oedipuswreck wrote:

If you're comfortable with using it, then you can. Just know that there's thousands of people who share the same first name as you.

joshuaho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

oedipuswreck wrote:

You probably should not… that is giving out personal information.

ProdigyZeta7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

joshuaho wrote:

oedipuswreck wrote:

You probably should not… that is giving out personal information.
Why'd you give out your first name then?

smg242
Scratcher
1 post

I was thinking about making a zombie game on Scratch, but I didn't know if it was O.K., because it would have been maybe too violent. But, my idea was for the game to be a very tongue-in-cheek, comical zombie game, containing a considerable amount of blood. The game would actually be centered on the funny dialogue, all of which would be clean, having no cuss words whatsoever. Still, I'm not sure whether the game would be O.K. for Scratch. So, I made this. It's basically a project that checks whether you are of 15 years of age or older, by asking a trick question, involving multiplication. Please take a look. If I put this script at the start of my project, will it get flagged? I'm completely fine with an NFE, or something like that. I just want to showcase the humor in the game, which sort of requires zombies. If it's not O.K., then I'll just delete the Age Checker as well as cancel the zombie project. Someone please do reply…