Discuss Scratch

RalphJP
New to Scratch
2 posts

Scratch Desktop is just a white box

My browser / operating system: Windows NT 10.0, Chrome 78.0.3904.97, No Flash version detected

I have just tried installing Scratch Desktop 3.6.0 on my Dell Precision M4600 laptop. When I try to start it up I have to wait 2-3 minutes for anything to appear and then the window is just blank. I have tried waiting 30 minutes for anything to appear and it remains blank. The program is obviously doing something as task manager shows 3 and sometimes 4 processes taking a total of around 16% of processing power and 3-400MB of memory. These figures are continuously varying and the mouse pointer shows a blue circle at approximately 1 second intervals when it is in the blank window.

I tried uninstalling and re-downloading with no change. The Scratch 2 stand alone version works fine on this computer - so does the online version.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

PS - just editing this to add that resizing the window gives a black screen.

Last edited by RalphJP (Nov. 9, 2019 12:47:44)

RalphJP
New to Scratch
2 posts

Scratch Desktop is just a white box

To answer my own question…

While installing another program my graphics driver crashed and Windows 10 started to use its default driver. I just thought I'd try Scratch Desktop again and this time it works! So the issue appears to be some kind of interaction with the graphics driver on this computer - possibly because it has two graphics adaptors (an Intel one for the internal display and an Nvidia one for the external displays) so perhaps the software chooses the wrong one for some reason.