Discuss Scratch

mica43683
Scratcher
500+ posts

New loop idea

My idea:

repeat () {

} in () secs :: loop control
This would repeat the task () times over the length of () seconds.

Another variation of this would be

repeat {

} for () secs :: loop control

It would repeat over and over for however many seconds.

How does it work:

"But, Mica, what if someone would put the
wait () secs
block in there?“, I hear you asking!

My idea for the ”repeat for () secs" block would be that it checks how many times the normal
repeat ()

end
block would run in the span of () seconds, and runs that many times. That way, the
wait () secs
block would still work.

The “repeat () in () secs” block would be that it divides (number of seconds) by (number of times it repeats), and runs the script once every (time it divided into). Say you put “repeat (10) in (1) secs”. It would divide 1 by 10 (leaving us with 0.1), meaning every 0.1 seconds, it runs the script, meaning the
wait () secs
block would still work.

What this would be useful for:

Off the top of my head, animation.
You want your animation to be a certain frame rate. 30 fps? 24? Solution:

repeat (24) {
next costume
} in (1) secs :: loop control

You're making a small animation using the "say " block instead of voice acting, and you need some better timing so as to not clutter up your broadcast list. Solution:
Sprite1:
when green flag clicked
repeat {
turn ccw (10) degrees
} for (3) secs :: loop control
Sprite2:
when green flag clicked
wait (3) secs
say [Wow! Nice backflip!] for (2) secs

Supporters:
-Reshiram-
Nambaseking01

Semi-Supporters:
mitzii
venyanwarrior
EZ-Games

Additional Suggestions (regarding these blocks):

Nambaseking01 wrote:

There should be a limit to how low the waiting time should go. Say someone does this:

repeat (1000) {
change [i v] by (1)
add (i) to [itineraryArray v]
} in (0.01) secs :: loop control

That would definitely crash the system.

Last edited by mica43683 (Oct. 26, 2019 18:12:42)

I got a lot of compliments on my last signature, and I think that's kind of strange. I wrote it when I was 12 and it wasn't very good. I acted like PS4 controllers were the epitome of human technology, for God's sake! I tried too hard to be philosophical, or maybe I tried too hard to be funny, or maybe it was something else. But that signature was bad. It wasn't good. It might be strange for some of you to hear this, seeing as this site is full of kids, but 12-year-old me was practically a baby. I think that's something you realise when you grow up. That you're always better than you were last year. I was looking through old Skype messages between me and a friend of mine from when we were 12, and as I read them, I couldn't stop thinking, “Woah. I was the worst.” It's important to know that you're always the worst. I can almost guarantee that future you is thinking negatively of you right now, just as future me is thinking negatively of me. It's important not to let that get to you. Remember to stay in the present. Tomorrow hates you, but it can't hurt you because you'll never get to tomorrow. When I was 10 or 11, I remember seeing the world very cynically. I thought that human life was inherently selfish, and that we were only put on this planet to destroy it. I'm so glad 10 or 11 year old me is gone, because 17 year old me would NOT get along with that kid.
-Reshiram-
Scratcher
100+ posts

New loop idea

Support for both, they would be really useful.

Also, I made scratchblocks code for you to use in your post:
repeat () {

repeat {

Last edited by -Reshiram- (Oct. 9, 2019 11:55:31)

I am now @SquirreIstar with an i, as in “I used to be -Reshiram-”
WindOctahedron
Scratcher
1000+ posts

New loop idea

“repeat for () seconds” has a workaround:
set [limit v] to ((timer) + ()) // you have to put the number of seconds in the blank input
repeat until <(timer) > (limit)>
end
Edit: I was going to say that the workaround will make the page lag when “run without screen resfresh” is turned on, while the block you're suggesting won't, but I eventually decided that it will. You can read imfh's related post in this topic:

imfh wrote:

A run without screen refresh block prevents the screen and everything else from refreshing until it finishes running.
[…]
You should always make sure that Scratch will be able to finish running without screen refresh blocks quickly to prevent that [they meant the lag] from happening.
Because your suggested block can make the program finish the execution in a longer time, it will make the page lag.

Last edited by WindOctahedron (Oct. 9, 2019 12:39:07)

The message above may contain wrong information, rude remarks, or something embarrassing to my current self. In this case, please ignore it and remember that I likely wrote it back when I didn't know what “respect” truly meant. I really hate thinking about it again.
mica43683
Scratcher
500+ posts

New loop idea

-Reshiram- wrote:

I made scratchblocks code for you to use in your post:
repeat () {

repeat {

Thanks!

Last edited by mica43683 (Oct. 11, 2019 10:02:45)

I got a lot of compliments on my last signature, and I think that's kind of strange. I wrote it when I was 12 and it wasn't very good. I acted like PS4 controllers were the epitome of human technology, for God's sake! I tried too hard to be philosophical, or maybe I tried too hard to be funny, or maybe it was something else. But that signature was bad. It wasn't good. It might be strange for some of you to hear this, seeing as this site is full of kids, but 12-year-old me was practically a baby. I think that's something you realise when you grow up. That you're always better than you were last year. I was looking through old Skype messages between me and a friend of mine from when we were 12, and as I read them, I couldn't stop thinking, “Woah. I was the worst.” It's important to know that you're always the worst. I can almost guarantee that future you is thinking negatively of you right now, just as future me is thinking negatively of me. It's important not to let that get to you. Remember to stay in the present. Tomorrow hates you, but it can't hurt you because you'll never get to tomorrow. When I was 10 or 11, I remember seeing the world very cynically. I thought that human life was inherently selfish, and that we were only put on this planet to destroy it. I'm so glad 10 or 11 year old me is gone, because 17 year old me would NOT get along with that kid.
mica43683
Scratcher
500+ posts

New loop idea

Bump

mica43683
Scratcher
500+ posts

New loop idea

WindOctahedron wrote:

set [limit v] to ((timer) + ()) // you have to put the number of seconds in the blank input
end
Edit: I was going to say that the workaround will make the page lag when “run without screen resfresh” is turned on, while the block you're suggesting won't, but I eventually decided that it will. You can read imfh's related post in this topic:

imfh wrote:

A run without screen refresh block prevents the screen and everything else from refreshing until it finishes running.
[…]
You should always make sure that Scratch will be able to finish running without screen refresh blocks quickly to prevent that [they meant the lag] from happening.
Because your suggested block can make the program finish the execution in a longer time, it will make the page lag.
The
repeat ()

end
block works the same.

mitzii
Scratcher
14 posts

New loop idea

WindOctahedron wrote:

end
-snip-

Semi-support. Support because a lot of programmers are too lazy to make a workaround script.
No support because you could just make the script above, or do this:
reset timer
repeat until <(timer) > []> // here you'd put how long the loop should run
end

I use this script often for animating ^^

Last edited by mitzii (Nov. 1, 2019 21:06:12)

this is my invisible siggie. good job on finding it.
now go to my profile and comment, “wahoo, waffles!” to get free art.
venyanwarrior
Scratcher
1000+ posts

New loop idea

Semi-Support. It does look like a worthwhile addition, however, this is a kids programming site, and I think it might be a little bit too complicated.

If you're seeing this signature, that means I've come out of my social anxiety hole.

Also, I edit the Scratch Wiki. Check it out sometime it's cool I guess.
WindOctahedron
Scratcher
1000+ posts

New loop idea

mica43683 wrote:

WindOctahedron wrote:

-snip-
The
repeat ()

end
block works the same.
The same as what?
If you mean the workaround, then you're not entirely correct. If you want to use the simple “repeat” to repeat something for a fixed amount of time, you'll have to do some division by 1/30 (or multiplication by 30). Why not just enter the number of seconds you want to repeat the action for? You can do so in the workaround I suggested.
But yes, they are both loops and it is possible to program one using the other.

The message above may contain wrong information, rude remarks, or something embarrassing to my current self. In this case, please ignore it and remember that I likely wrote it back when I didn't know what “respect” truly meant. I really hate thinking about it again.
mica43683
Scratcher
500+ posts

New loop idea

WindOctahedron wrote:

mica43683 wrote:

WindOctahedron wrote:

-snip-
The
repeat ()

end
block works the same.
The same as what?
If you mean the workaround, then you're not entirely correct. If you want to use the simple “repeat” to repeat something for a fixed amount of time, you'll have to do some division by 1/30 (or multiplication by 30). Why not just enter the number of seconds you want to repeat the action for? You can do so in the workaround I suggested.
But yes, they are both loops and it is possible to program one using the other.
I meant the part about running without screen refresh.

mica43683
Scratcher
500+ posts

New loop idea

venyanwarrior wrote:

Semi-Support. It does look like a worthwhile addition, however, this is a kids programming site, and I think it might be a little bit too complicated.
In what way is it too complicated? Please explain more.

WindOctahedron
Scratcher
1000+ posts

New loop idea

mica43683 wrote:

WindOctahedron wrote:

mica43683 wrote:

WindOctahedron wrote:

-snip-
The
repeat ()

end
block works the same.
The same as what?
-snip-
Oh, in that case…
The simple “repeat” block can be executed in a single instant (in the cases in which you don't put anything in it that prevents it from doing so, such as the “wait” block), because it is possible to know when the program will end judging only by internal conditions* (in the cases that i mentioned in the brackets/parentheses above). However, the “repeat until” block cannot be executed in a single instant, because the time at which it must stop is always set by external conditions* (that includes the timer).
*“External conditions” means anything other than the number input in the regular “repeat” block.

Last edited by WindOctahedron (Oct. 11, 2019 18:54:08)

mica43683
Scratcher
500+ posts

New loop idea

WindOctahedron wrote:

mica43683 wrote:

WindOctahedron wrote:

mica43683 wrote:

WindOctahedron wrote:

-snip-
The
repeat ()

end
block works the same.
The same as what?
-snip-
Oh, in that case…
The simple “repeat” block can be executed in a single instant (in the cases in which you don't put anything in it that prevents it from doing so, such as the “wait” block), because it is possible to know when the program will end judging only by internal conditions* (in the cases that i mentioned in the brackets/parentheses above). However, the “repeat until” block cannot be executed in a single instant, because the time at which it must stop is always set by external conditions* (that includes the timer).
*“External conditions” means anything other than the number input in the regular “repeat” block.
As I said, it checks how many times the “repeat ()” block would run in the time you input, and runs that many times.

WindOctahedron
Scratcher
1000+ posts

New loop idea

mica43683 wrote:

WindOctahedron wrote:

mica43683 wrote:

WindOctahedron wrote:

mica43683 wrote:

WindOctahedron wrote:

-snip-
The
repeat ()

end
block works the same.
The same as what?
-snip-
-snip-
As I said, it checks how many times the “repeat ()” block would run in the time you input, and runs that many times.
Oh, okay.

EZ-Games
Scratcher
1000+ posts

New loop idea

Semi-Support for the following reason(s):
  1. The “repeat () in () secs” block would indeed be very useful for animation.
  2. The “repeat for () secs” block is also useful, but there is a simple workaround:

WindOctahedron wrote:

end

Last edited by EZ-Games (Oct. 11, 2019 21:09:22)

God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.
John 3:17

Advice:
Saying “Support” or “No Support” doesn't contribute anything to the conversation.
A question that has already been answered doesn't need to be answered twice with the same answer - bring something new to the table.
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

New loop idea

mica43683 wrote:

wait () secs

My idea for the ”repeat for () secs" block would be that it checks how many times the normal
repeat ()

end
block would run in the span of () seconds, and runs that many times. That way, the
wait () secs
block would still work.
I'm a little concerned about this. Usually “wait () secs” is my go-to for blocks which would cause this loop to not work, but there are many others:

broadcast [ v] and wait

repeat ()

end

ask [] and wait

play sound [ v] until done

The “play sound” block could be especially problematic if another script actively changes the pitch of the block while the loop is running. That might cause your math to break when deciding how many times this loop runs.

And then what if you put something like the “ask” or “forever” blocks in your proposed loop, or even “broadcast and wait” and have it broadcast a “forever” loop? Presumably I'd guess that your proposed loop would check to see if this would happen, and then not run the loop at all if it does.

This all gets into the idea of “Can a program determine whether an algorithm will stop or not before it actually runs the algorithm?” This is known as the Halting Problem, and it was proven that a program cannot determine whether an algorithm will run forever, before actually running the algorithm.

Or would your proposed loop just stop all the code in the broadcasts if it takes longer to run than desired? In that case, I could definitely see some confusion happening with this loop.

I'm not here to reject the suggestion or anything — but this sort of suggestion has come up before, and I still find these sorts of problems, which no one seems to have provided a reasonable solution for yet. (Not to mention that the workarounds are relatively easy and intuitive).

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
mica43683
Scratcher
500+ posts

New loop idea

Za-Chary wrote:

mica43683 wrote:

-snip-
I'm a little concerned about this. Usually “wait () secs” is my go-to for blocks which would cause this loop to not work, but there are many others:

broadcast [ v] and wait

repeat ()

end

ask [] and wait

play sound [ v] until done

The “play sound” block could be especially problematic if another script actively changes the pitch of the block while the loop is running. That might cause your math to break when deciding how many times this loop runs.

And then what if you put something like the “ask” or “forever” blocks in your proposed loop, or even “broadcast and wait” and have it broadcast a “forever” loop? Presumably I'd guess that your proposed loop would check to see if this would happen, and then not run the loop at all if it does.

This all gets into the idea of “Can a program determine whether an algorithm will stop or not before it actually runs the algorithm?” This is known as the Halting Problem, and it was proven that a program cannot determine whether an algorithm will run forever, before actually running the algorithm.

Or would your proposed loop just stop all the code in the broadcasts if it takes longer to run than desired? In that case, I could definitely see some confusion happening with this loop.

I'm not here to reject the suggestion or anything — but this sort of suggestion has come up before, and I still find these sorts of problems, which no one seems to have provided a reasonable solution for yet. (Not to mention that the workarounds are relatively easy and intuitive).
What I was thinking is instead of the script strictly running in that length of time, the
repeat () {

} in () secs::control loop
block would divide the number of seconds by the number of times it repeats and use the result as a gap between when the loop finishes running the script it surrounds, and starts running the next time. Say you want it to run 10 times in a second. It would run every 0.1 seconds.
The
repeat {

} for () secs::loop control
block would check how many times the
repeat ()

end
block would run to reach that time, and runs that many times.

WindOctahedron
Scratcher
1000+ posts

New loop idea

mica43683 wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

mica43683 wrote:

(Bringing back the quote so that it is clear what Za-Chary means by the word “this”.)

wait () secs

repeat ()

end
wait () secs
block would still work.

-snip-

-snip-
What I was thinking is instead of the script strictly running in that length of time, the
repeat () { 

} in () secs::control loop // Why are you talking about this now?
block would divide the number of seconds by the number of times it repeats and use the result as a gap between when the loop finishes running the script it surrounds, and starts running the next time. Say you want it to run 10 times in a second. It would run every 0.1 seconds.
-snip, because you are repeating what you've already said, and you are not answering to Za-Chary-
Yes, but Za-Chary is adressing the problem of the “repeat for () seconds”.
In the post that he quoted that you snipped, you talked about the “repeat for () seconds”, so why are you talking about “repeat () in () seconds” now?

Last edited by WindOctahedron (Oct. 12, 2019 08:27:08)

mica43683
Scratcher
500+ posts

New loop idea

WindOctahedron wrote:

mica43683 wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

mica43683 wrote:

(Bringing back the quote so that it is clear what Za-Chary means by the word “this”.)

wait () secs

repeat ()

end
wait () secs
block would still work.

-snip-

-snip-
repeat () { 

} in () secs::control loop // Why are you talking about this now?
-snip, because you are repeating what you've already said, and you are not answering to Za-Chary-
Yes, but Za-Chary is adressing the problem of the “repeat for () seconds”.
In the post that he quoted that you snipped, you talked about the “repeat for () seconds”, so why are you talking about “repeat () in () seconds” now?
I also spoke about the “repeat for () secs.” I was solving the problem for both, as I noticed it's a problem that applies to both. What I meant was that the “repeat for () secs” block checks how many times it runs instead of running over the span of () seconds.

WindOctahedron
Scratcher
1000+ posts

New loop idea

mica43683 wrote:

WindOctahedron wrote:

-snip-
I also spoke about the “repeat for () secs.” I was solving the problem for both, as I noticed it's a problem that applies to both. What I meant was that the “repeat for () secs” block checks how many times it runs instead of running over the span of () seconds.
Za-Chary already adressed this way of calculating the number of runs:

Za-Chary wrote:

-snip-