Discuss Scratch

Scratcher
6 posts

Allowing other image hosting sites incase CubeUpload shuts down

ConfusedBiscuit wrote:

I'm all in support for Google Photos since it doesn't require e-mail to sign up. You've got an account as long as you have g-mail. Although I understand some users don't have their own g-mail accounts, so other hosts would be good as well.

“…it doesn't require e-mail to sign up. You've got an account as long as you have g-mail.” uhh what
colinmacc
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ConfusedBiscuit wrote:

I'm all in support for Google Photos since it doesn't require e-mail to sign up. You've got an account as long as you have g-mail. Although I understand some users don't have their own g-mail accounts, so other hosts would be good as well.

I don't think google photos allows hot linking directly to the image URLs, at least from what I can remember.

Sample Projects

Flowermanvista
Scratcher
1000+ posts

It's a shame that xomf up and died apparently, but at least there seem to be alternatives. As for me, I finally caved and made an account on CubeUpload.

Add a SPOOKY SKELETON to your project!

The Scratch 3 Project Save Troubleshooter - find out why your project won't save

ST, Please Add A Warning When A Size Limit Is Exceeded

My Dumb Creations - THE BEST ANIMATION | The Windows 98 Experience (made on Windows 98) | nobody cares about Me… | the2000 Reveals His New Profile Picture | Not Dumb Creations - Ten Years
Ctrl+Shift+Down for more…
Do evil kumquats keep eating your signature? Assert your dominance and eat the evil kumquats. Did you know that kumquats are only about the size of an olive?
ConfusedBiscuit
Scratcher
1000+ posts

149275 wrote:

ConfusedBiscuit wrote:

“…it doesn't require e-mail to sign up. You've got an account as long as you have g-mail.” uhh what
What I meant is that you don't have to give your e-mail to a random site in order to use it.

i like pokemon a normal amount
LastContinue
Scratcher
500+ posts

ConfusedBiscuit wrote:

149275 wrote:

ConfusedBiscuit wrote:

What I meant is that you don't have to give your e-mail to a random site in order to use it.
You do? Google does worse with your data than literally any other company on the face of this Earth. Even Facebook, who are villainised (perhaps unjustly) for usage of Data, when Google have no issue handing it to international authorities and training AI and ML models on you, for the sole purpose of targeted and manipulative ads.

To avoid this you need to do a few things:
- Avoid Google, DuckDuckGo is a good option
- Get rid of Chromium as much as you can, uninstall Chrome and use FireFox (Vivaldi is a good Chromium compromise)
- Install UBlock Origin, Ultimate Bypass, HTTPS Everywhere, NoScript
- For messaging use Keybase for mobile and desktop chat which is fully encrypted and you get up to 250GB of encrypted storage
- Uninstall Windows 10 if you can, use Linux, preferable a barebones system like Arch
- On top of a browser based blocker, use PiHole on the Network to secure anyone and block other applications (two in one solution and easy to configure)
- Encrypt literally everything

This is hyperbole to some extent (but these are all good bits of advice, not sarcasm), but Google will track you somehow if you don't go to extremes and change the way you Surf the InterWebs.
venyanwarrior
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LastContinue wrote:

-snip-
This is hyperbole to some extent (but these are all good bits of advice, not sarcasm), but Google will track you somehow if you don't go to extremes and change the way you Surf the InterWebs.
Yeah, a little bit over the top lol.
Google will track everything about you, even to the extent of when you've just bought something and then they show you an ad for it. (Annoying lol)

If you're seeing this signature, that means I've come out of my social anxiety hole.

Also, I edit the Scratch Wiki. Check it out sometime it's cool I guess.
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LastContinue wrote:

ConfusedBiscuit wrote:

149275 wrote:

ConfusedBiscuit wrote:

You do? Google does worse with your data than literally any other company on the face of this Earth. Even Facebook, who are villainised (perhaps unjustly) for usage of Data, when Google have no issue handing it to international authorities and training AI and ML models on you, for the sole purpose of targeted and manipulative ads.

- Get rid of Chromium as much as you can, uninstall Chrome and use FireFox (Vivaldi is a good Chromium compromise)
- For messaging use Keybase for mobile and desktop chat which is fully encrypted and you get up to 250GB of encrypted storage
- Uninstall Windows 10 if you can, use Linux, preferable a barebones system like Arch
- On top of a browser based blocker, use PiHole on the Network to secure anyone and block other applications (two in one solution and easy to configure)

Just curious, what's your opinion on Brave? (Built off of chromium, has way better privacy than stuff Google makes?

!!
LastContinue
Scratcher
500+ posts

1132262 wrote:

LastContinue wrote:

ConfusedBiscuit wrote:

149275 wrote:

ConfusedBiscuit wrote:

Just curious, what's your opinion on Brave? (Built off of chromium, has way better privacy than stuff Google makes?
Utter trash. Scammy history, embedded in to a centralised ecosystem (both backend and authority), has censored people (accusations only, take with grain of salt) for “abusing the BAT system”. You don't own your BAT until you've given your passport to a company with a phobia of transparency (Uphold) for KYC/AML.

They are an advertising agency who are using the profit for “free money” (notice the quotes) to manipulate people in to installing software that contains proprietary components, is a buggy mess, does not clarify how insecure and dangerous it's Tor mode can be for people who genuinely need to hide themselves and so much more.

They fail to fix bugs in Brave months after release. Your BAT wallet and Web3.0 wallet will be separate (Dapperlabs' Dapper Wallet is so much better anyway). Brave is slow, it's BAT and rewards components mean Brave eats RAM worse than Chrome.

Use Vivaldi, it's safer, and isn't run by a Team of “Experts” who have verbally abused people on Twitter, and Brave Fanboys celebrate it on the subreddits devoted to Brave.

Edit: By the way, I did use Brave for roughly 6 months and have 170 odd BAT waiting for me when I can KYC/AML with Uphold. I witnessed these things happening as they did, this is firsthand stuff and I just can't support them after this. They're taking way too long to add features, haven't brought anything new to the table, their adblock is trash, they conform to Google's “Modern Address” Scheme (omission of http / https and www. suffixes from URLs) which is dangerous because some poorly designed sites contain very different contain between http / https and www and @

Last edited by LastContinue (Oct. 9, 2019 17:00:40)

Scratcher
1000+ posts

LastContinue wrote:

1132262 wrote:

LastContinue wrote:

ConfusedBiscuit wrote:

149275 wrote:

ConfusedBiscuit wrote:

Utter trash. Scammy history, embedded in to a centralised ecosystem (both backend and authority), has censored people (accusations only, take with grain of salt) for “abusing the BAT system”. You don't own your BAT until you've given your passport to a company with a phobia of transparency (Uphold) for KYC/AML.

They are an advertising agency who are using the profit for “free money” (notice the quotes) to manipulate people in to installing software that contains proprietary components, is a buggy mess, does not clarify how insecure and dangerous it's Tor mode can be for people who genuinely need to hide themselves and so much more.

They fail to fix bugs in Brave months after release. Your BAT wallet and Web3.0 wallet will be separate (Dapperlabs' Dapper Wallet is so much better anyway). Brave is slow, it's BAT and rewards components mean Brave eats RAM worse than Chrome.

Use Vivaldi, it's safer, and isn't run by a Team of “Experts” who have verbally abused people on Twitter, and Brave Fanboys celebrate it on the subreddits devoted to Brave.
Brave is slow? I'm having trouble figuring out whether or not you're joking.

!!
LastContinue
Scratcher
500+ posts

1132262 wrote:

LastContinue wrote:

1132262 wrote:

LastContinue wrote:

ConfusedBiscuit wrote:

149275 wrote:

ConfusedBiscuit wrote:

Vivaldi with Ultimate Bypass, HTTPS Everywhere, UBlock Origin etc loads pages way faster than Brave, is hugely more configurable than Brave's locked down and horrible UX adblock. Oh! And they work globally across both normal and private browsing, unlike Brave which doesn't carry stuff over.

Additionally I completely block non-HTTPS capable traffic, and couldn't find that option in Brave.

I have used Brave, and Opera, and Firefox, and Edge, and Chrome, and Vivaldi. Vivaldi won out of all of these. Brave is nice, but they're not doing what was promised.
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LastContinue wrote:

1132262 wrote:

LastContinue wrote:

1132262 wrote:

LastContinue wrote:

ConfusedBiscuit wrote:

149275 wrote:

ConfusedBiscuit wrote:

Vivaldi with Ultimate Bypass, HTTPS Everywhere, UBlock Origin etc loads pages way faster than Brave, is hugely more configurable than Brave's locked down and horrible UX adblock. Oh! And they work globally across both normal and private browsing, unlike Brave which doesn't carry stuff over.

Additionally I completely block non-HTTPS capable traffic, and couldn't find that option in Brave.

I have used Brave, and Opera, and Firefox, and Edge, and Chrome, and Vivaldi. Vivaldi won out of all of these. Brave is nice, but they're not doing what was promised.
Hmm. Thanks for your suggestions.

!!
MClovers
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I honestly don't care what browser you're using. We need to get ImgBB. This is a place for discussion about image hosting sites, not rants or debates about browsers.

President of Scratch ShopBux
LastContinue
Scratcher
500+ posts

MClovers wrote:

I honestly don't care what browser you're using. We need to get ImgBB. This is a place for discussion about image hosting sites, not rants or debates about browsers.
And posting here won't magic ImgBB in to the whitelist. Has anyone attempted to use Contact Us to raise this suggestions, it would go directly to the moderation team (I think) in that case, and probably be discussed further and faster.

This thread (unless more hosts are found) will simply lie dormant if not for off-topic posts, sadly.
ajsya_Art
Scratcher
60 posts

MClovers wrote:

Yeah

ConfusedBiscuit
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LastContinue wrote:

Basically that means get rid of my entire laptop. I've heard debate whether or not Google actually tracks you. Personally, I don't think I'm at risk of anything. Especially since I do use DuckDuckGo when I need something personal. Personally, I'm going to continue using Google. But I don't want to start debate.

i like pokemon a normal amount
LastContinue
Scratcher
500+ posts

ConfusedBiscuit wrote:

LastContinue wrote:

I've heard debate whether or not Google actually tracks you.
I have never - not in all the time I have been on this site - heard something more dangerous and misinformed. Google track you, end of. Google are malicious with the data they get from you, they have got ruling that citizens outside of the EU are not protected by the General Data Protection Regulation. They have violated GDPR just months after it was enacted, and they target people in a manipulative way, in the same manner as propaganda used within some of the most oppressive regimes the world has seen. It's psychological manipulation, profiling and many things you unknowingly agreed to when you clicked “Agree”.
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MClovers wrote:

!!
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Let's make sure we stay on-topic, everyone.

I've brought up ImgBB to the Scratch Team. They will look into the website further.

However, xomf.com is indeed rejected for failing to actually work.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
LastContinue
Scratcher
500+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

Let's make sure we stay on-topic, everyone.

I've brought up ImgBB to the Scratch Team. They will look into the website further.

However, xomf.com is indeed rejected for failing to actually work.
On the topic on xomf.com, it appears it does work but their certificate is invalid (Cert date invalid error when image loading, but it definitely uploads something)

Maybe something could be done about it? Site it certainly live.

Edit: I've just sent an email to the address listed on xomf.com, I'll report back what is said.

Last edited by LastContinue (Oct. 9, 2019 22:23:46)

MClovers
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LastContinue wrote:

MClovers wrote:

And posting here won't magic ImgBB in to the whitelist. Has anyone attempted to use Contact Us to raise this suggestions, it would go directly to the moderation team (I think) in that case, and probably be discussed further and faster.

This thread (unless more hosts are found) will simply lie dormant if not for off-topic posts, sadly.

This is how the suggestion process works…
I really don't care how much you hate chrome. I care about your opinions of the image hosting. And that's not how off-topic posts work. I have a thread with over 300 pages, and we have minimal off-topic posts.

President of Scratch ShopBux