Discuss Scratch

ThePowerUser
Scratcher
21 posts

Filtered Chat block

Name of suggestion: Filtered Chat block
Link to suggestion: none
Topic creator: ThePowerUser
Description: The scratch team would make a filtered chat block that would allow you to talk in a project
Your username: ThePowerUser
Have you posted suggestions here before? no
LegoManiac04
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Filtered Chat block

No Support

This would lead to private messaging, which is a rejected suggestion.

Rejected Suggestions wrote:

6.1 Private messaging
Scratch currently has public messaging, meaning anyone is able to see the comments that you write. As a result, people are more likely to be respectful since anyone can see the comment. However, with private messaging, people know that only the intended recipient can see the message, so users may not think before posting. This could lead to many more disrespectful or inappropriate comments.

The Scratch Team also simply does not have the resources to moderate a private messaging system, precisely because there would be a lot of disrespectful or inappropriate comments. In addition, it is a huge Internet safety concern, and is not really the purpose of using Scratch anyway.

This suggestion extends to allowing users to post links to other private messaging websites, such as Discord. Many such messaging websites are not as well-moderated as Scratch is. If such links were allowed, Scratch may be held responsible if anything bad happens to someone.
(Source)

Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Filtered Chat block

In addition to private messaging concerns, is there anything that such a chat block would do that couldn't be accomplished in, say, the comments of the project?

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
ThePowerUser
Scratcher
21 posts

Filtered Chat block

Za-Chary wrote:

In addition to private messaging concerns, is there anything that such a chat block would do that couldn't be accomplished in, say, the comments of the project?

yes it would make it nice so you could talk and play the game at the same time. With out it you have to go to your messages to see what they said and then come back to the game. I want to make a multiplayer player game and would like players to be able to ask or tell other people things like lay a block there, what's up,want to play together?, just a variety of things. And it would cut down the amount of message's i would get so i could answer the real questions and not have to sort through people chatting about what they want to do in the game next. Thanks for taking the time to read this if you do.
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Filtered Chat block

ThePowerUser wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

yes it would make it nice so you could talk and play the game at the same time. With out it you have to go to your messages to see what they said and then come back to the game. I want to make a multiplayer player game and would like players to be able to ask or tell other people things like lay a block there, what's up,want to play together?, just a variety of things. And it would cut down the amount of message's i would get so i could answer the real questions and not have to sort through people chatting about what they want to do in the game next. Thanks for taking the time to read this if you do.
I still don't see how your suggestion would prevent private messaging — but I'm sure there are ways to prevent it.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

ThePowerUser
Scratcher
21 posts

Filtered Chat block

Za-Chary wrote:

ThePowerUser wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

I still don't see how your suggestion would prevent private messaging — but I'm sure there are ways to prevent it.

what do you mean prevent
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Filtered Chat block

ThePowerUser wrote:

what do you mean prevent
Your suggestion, which is a chat program, should not have private messaging at all in it. For more information, you can read @LegoManiac04's post above.

Sheep_maker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Filtered Chat block

Projects with any kind of chat (filtered or not) aren't allowed anymore anyways, so people wouldn't be able to use this feature.

- Sheep_maker This is a kumquat-free signature. :P
This is my signature. It appears below all my posts. Discuss it on my profile, not the forums. Here's how to make your own.
.postsignature { overflow: auto; } .scratchblocks { overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: hidden; }
ThePowerUser
Scratcher
21 posts

Filtered Chat block

Sheep_maker wrote:

Projects with any kind of chat (filtered or not) aren't allowed anymore anyways, so people wouldn't be able to use this feature.

did you read the title it says Filtered chat it would be filtered my the scratch team and would be a block so you couldn't change it
Sheep_maker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Filtered Chat block

ThePowerUser wrote:

Sheep_maker wrote:

did you read the title it says Filtered chat it would be filtered my the scratch team and would be a block so you couldn't change it
Per my previous post I stated that even filtered chats aren't allowed anymore. From the linked post:

dietbacon wrote:

What if my cloud chat uses a whitelist of acceptable words?

We will be removing all projects we see with cloud-chat functionality, even if they have whitelists.
Their rationale for banning cloud chats would also apply to a built-in filtered chat.

- Sheep_maker This is a kumquat-free signature. :P
This is my signature. It appears below all my posts. Discuss it on my profile, not the forums. Here's how to make your own.
.postsignature { overflow: auto; } .scratchblocks { overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: hidden; }
ThePowerUser
Scratcher
21 posts

Filtered Chat block

Sheep_maker wrote:

ThePowerUser wrote:

Sheep_maker wrote:

Per my previous post I stated that even filtered chats aren't allowed anymore. From the linked post:

dietbacon wrote:

What if my cloud chat uses a whitelist of acceptable words?

We will be removing all projects we see with cloud-chat functionality, even if they have whitelists.
Their rationale for banning cloud chats would also apply to a built-in filtered chat.

I ask za-chary if i could make a chat where you picked what you wanted to say from a prerecorded list of words that i would make and he said yes that would be okay
AnAccount_StopAsking
Scratcher
500+ posts

Filtered Chat block

I was also making a chat project too.

However, it is MORE filtered than usual, since there is only a limited amount of phrases you can say, meaning people cannot type up their own phrases freely.

The test failed, so I scrapped it.

Sorry if I'm necroposting! D:

Sorry, were you expecting a signature introduction? Too bad! (Press Shift+Down on a part of this signature to read more!)

Legend:

Your suggestion is virtually perfection in my eyes.
You barely need to improvise.
Full support.
Mostly support.
Semi-support.
Barely support.
No support.
Negative support.
I see your suggestion as a war crime.
This is the worst suggestion in existence.

Only true potatoes are sacked.

when I receive [be an annoying 5 year old v]
repeat (EXPAN)
say [AMONG US AT 3 AM!!!!!]
end
BTSbxj77
Scratcher
1 post

Filtered Chat block

this is true that private chat can also have problems but what if you want to say something that you do not want to share?
fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Filtered Chat block

BTSbxj77 wrote:

this is true that private chat can also have problems but what if you want to say something that you do not want to share?
If you don't want to share it, it's probably not a good idea to have it leave your brain in the first place.

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0
omarsmadi2020
Scratcher
22 posts

Filtered Chat block

when green flag clicked
say [What the yes]
omarsmadi2020
Scratcher
22 posts

Filtered Chat block

Well im just gonna walk away