Discuss Scratch

Scratcher402
Scratcher
100+ posts

Cloud Variables.

Currently, the site has support for cloud variables which have limitations. I have an idea: maybe you can make it possible to connect a cloud storage account to a project so that the data is loaded there?

Scratcher402
Большинство Скретчеров считает, что Скретч умер.
Но это не так.
За Скретч 3.0!!![/quote]
AFNNetworkK12
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Cloud Variables.

Scratcher402 wrote:

Currently, the site has support for cloud variables which have limitations. I have an idea: maybe you can make it possible to connect a cloud storage account to a project so that the data is loaded there?
so.. wait, like a third party provider?

AFN!


| Okay | Hobbyist | Introvert | Active | OK! |
ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

Cloud Variables.

AFNNetworkK12 wrote:

Scratcher402 wrote:

Currently, the site has support for cloud variables which have limitations. I have an idea: maybe you can make it possible to connect a cloud storage account to a project so that the data is loaded there?
so.. wait, like a third party provider?

Yes. That's what he's suggesting.

But won't you have to pay the third party cloud storage thing as well?

Hi, I'm ResExsention, that New Scratcher who refuses to promote themself! I really do look forward to getting to know you!

If you see "[DATA EXPUNGED]", you'll know it was deleted by me. It's a lot easier.
Scratcher402
Scratcher
100+ posts

Cloud Variables.

ResExsention wrote:

AFNNetworkK12 wrote:

Scratcher402 wrote:

Currently, the site has support for cloud variables which have limitations. I have an idea: maybe you can make it possible to connect a cloud storage account to a project so that the data is loaded there?
so.. wait, like a third party provider?

Yes. That's what he's suggesting.

But won't you have to pay the third party cloud storage thing as well?
No, Google, for example, gives free 15 gb.

Scratcher402
Большинство Скретчеров считает, что Скретч умер.
Но это не так.
За Скретч 3.0!!![/quote]
ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

Cloud Variables.

Scratcher402 wrote:

ResExsention wrote:

AFNNetworkK12 wrote:

Scratcher402 wrote:

Currently, the site has support for cloud variables which have limitations. I have an idea: maybe you can make it possible to connect a cloud storage account to a project so that the data is loaded there?
so.. wait, like a third party provider?

Yes. That's what he's suggesting.

But won't you have to pay the third party cloud storage thing as well?
No, Google, for example, gives free 15 gb.

How much space does each cloud variable take? If it's only 4 bytes or something, we could increase the limit to like 50 variables a project.

Hi, I'm ResExsention, that New Scratcher who refuses to promote themself! I really do look forward to getting to know you!

If you see "[DATA EXPUNGED]", you'll know it was deleted by me. It's a lot easier.
Scratcher402
Scratcher
100+ posts

Cloud Variables.

ResExsention wrote:

Scratcher402 wrote:

ResExsention wrote:

AFNNetworkK12 wrote:

Scratcher402 wrote:

Currently, the site has support for cloud variables which have limitations. I have an idea: maybe you can make it possible to connect a cloud storage account to a project so that the data is loaded there?
so.. wait, like a third party provider?

Yes. That's what he's suggesting.

But won't you have to pay the third party cloud storage thing as well?
No, Google, for example, gives free 15 gb.

How much space does each cloud variable take? If it's only 4 bytes or something, we could increase the limit to like 50 variables a project.
I mean, it will be possible to link a cloud account to a Scratch account, and record cloud variables there without restrictions (until the place runs out)

Scratcher402
Большинство Скретчеров считает, что Скретч умер.
Но это не так.
За Скретч 3.0!!![/quote]
ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

Cloud Variables.

Scratcher402 wrote:

ResExsention wrote:

Scratcher402 wrote:

ResExsention wrote:

AFNNetworkK12 wrote:

Scratcher402 wrote:

Currently, the site has support for cloud variables which have limitations. I have an idea: maybe you can make it possible to connect a cloud storage account to a project so that the data is loaded there?
so.. wait, like a third party provider?

Yes. That's what he's suggesting.

But won't you have to pay the third party cloud storage thing as well?
No, Google, for example, gives free 15 gb.

How much space does each cloud variable take? If it's only 4 bytes or something, we could increase the limit to like 50 variables a project.
I mean, it will be possible to link a cloud account to a Scratch account, and record cloud variables there without restrictions (until the place runs out)

Oh. Support. I would like to see cloud variables.

However, if this were the case then there are a few things that need to be addressed:

  • New Scratchers should be allowed to use cloud variables. Scratch is no longer paying for them, so there's no reason to stop them from linking a third party cloud storage provider.
  • This might divide the community., One half would be those with access to cloud storage, the other half wouldn't.

But this still sounds awesome!

Hi, I'm ResExsention, that New Scratcher who refuses to promote themself! I really do look forward to getting to know you!

If you see "[DATA EXPUNGED]", you'll know it was deleted by me. It's a lot easier.
Scratcher402
Scratcher
100+ posts

Cloud Variables.

This might divide the community., One half would be those with access to cloud storage, the other half wouldn't.
Why?

Scratcher402
Большинство Скретчеров считает, что Скретч умер.
Но это не так.
За Скретч 3.0!!![/quote]
ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

Cloud Variables.

Scratcher402 wrote:

This might divide the community., One half would be those with access to cloud storage, the other half wouldn't.
Why?

Because. The people who don't have access to a cloud storage provider will probably look in contempt at the other half.

Hi, I'm ResExsention, that New Scratcher who refuses to promote themself! I really do look forward to getting to know you!

If you see "[DATA EXPUNGED]", you'll know it was deleted by me. It's a lot easier.
Scratcher402
Scratcher
100+ posts

Cloud Variables.

ResExsention wrote:

Scratcher402 wrote:

This might divide the community., One half would be those with access to cloud storage, the other half wouldn't.
Why?

Because. The people who don't have access to a cloud storage provider will probably look in contempt at the other half.
Maybe leave the old cloud for this half?

Scratcher402
Большинство Скретчеров считает, что Скретч умер.
Но это не так.
За Скретч 3.0!!![/quote]
ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

Cloud Variables.

Scratcher402 wrote:

ResExsention wrote:

Scratcher402 wrote:

This might divide the community., One half would be those with access to cloud storage, the other half wouldn't.
Why?

Because. The people who don't have access to a cloud storage provider will probably look in contempt at the other half.
Maybe leave the old cloud for this half?

Vote to abstain. I could use a bit more information, but this sounds like a great idea!

Hi, I'm ResExsention, that New Scratcher who refuses to promote themself! I really do look forward to getting to know you!

If you see "[DATA EXPUNGED]", you'll know it was deleted by me. It's a lot easier.
duckboycool
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Cloud Variables.

It sounds interesting, but I don't think New Scratchers should be able to use cloud data if they do this. It would create a weird system where they could sometimes use cloud data if they were providing it, and other times not. Plus it's just not necessary, it's pretty easy to become Scratcher anyway.

Unless you're being weird and not accepting the Scratcher role just because.

I used to be active on the forums, but I have mostly moved past Scratch. I still do check my Scratch messages, so if you'd like to talk to me, just pop a comment on my profile. My main project on Scratch was Cookie Clicker, but I've also recently made a project called Snake Snake, a game based off of Snake, but there are two snakes, and you can play either singleplayer or multiplayer.

bigpuppy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Cloud Variables.

What would be the pros of using, for example, Google Drive or Dropbox (or other third-party cloud servers) instead of Scratch's servers be? That you can link the third-party cloud servers to other resources around the Internet? I guess I just think that Scratch data should stay on Scratch's servers.

“The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.”
- Helen Keller
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
- Martin Luther King, Jr.
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
- Maya Angelou
- thanks to brainyquote.com for the quotes -


Scratcher402
Scratcher
100+ posts

Cloud Variables.

bigpuppy wrote:

What would be the pros of using, for example, Google Drive or Dropbox (or other third-party cloud servers) instead of Scratch's servers be? That you can link the third-party cloud servers to other resources around the Internet? I guess I just think that Scratch data should stay on Scratch's servers.
You can write not only numbers and their unlimited number.

Scratcher402
Большинство Скретчеров считает, что Скретч умер.
Но это не так.
За Скретч 3.0!!![/quote]
Monniasza_spzoo
Scratcher
100+ posts

Cloud Variables.

I support using a third-party data storage.
ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

Cloud Variables.

duckboycool wrote:

Unless you're being weird and not accepting the Scratcher role just because.

What are you doing?

Last edited by ResExsention (June 18, 2019 08:42:11)


Hi, I'm ResExsention, that New Scratcher who refuses to promote themself! I really do look forward to getting to know you!

If you see "[DATA EXPUNGED]", you'll know it was deleted by me. It's a lot easier.
screwbit_socket
Scratcher
24 posts

Cloud Variables.

Scratcher402 wrote:

Currently, the site has support for cloud variables which have limitations. I have an idea: maybe you can make it possible to connect a cloud storage account to a project so that the data is loaded there?
Do you mean only the account can access it?
Scratcher402
Scratcher
100+ posts

Cloud Variables.

screwbit_socket wrote:

Scratcher402 wrote:

Currently, the site has support for cloud variables which have limitations. I have an idea: maybe you can make it possible to connect a cloud storage account to a project so that the data is loaded there?
Do you mean only the account can access it?
Yes, but anyone can change the variable.

Scratcher402
Большинство Скретчеров считает, что Скретч умер.
Но это не так.
За Скретч 3.0!!![/quote]

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile