Discuss Scratch

starbyt
Scratcher
5 posts

a suggestion - filterbot specificness

Hello! The name's starbyt, and I've been encountering a problem.

This isn't my first account on scratch, so it isn't the first time I've experienced this.

Filterbot.

Filterbot is perfectly amazing for the majority of one's scratch career. It prevents many accidental and purposeful inappropriate comments. However, for one's first two weeks on an account, filterbot is a nightmare. It says your comment is inappropriate even if you can't figure out why then eventually mutes you and you still don't understand why you were muted.

I feel this can be easily fixed if filterbot is slightly redesigned to highlight the inappropriate section of one's comment or say why a comment is inappropriate. It would help new scratchers better understand the guidelines and expectations of scratch.


Concise descr:

Filterbot needs to be more specific about what, specifically, is offensive about a user's comment.

Last edited by starbyt (June 15, 2019 16:23:49)

12944qwerty
Scratcher
100+ posts

a suggestion - filterbot specificness

Oooh, yess. All errors in either forums or comments should be highlighted so you know what to delete/change.

Facts
- Joined around Sep 28, 2015.
- 100th post
- 28 Projects
- 44 Followers
- Wiki
starbyt
Scratcher
5 posts

a suggestion - filterbot specificness


Concise descr:

Filterbot needs to be more specific about what, specifically, is offensive about a user's comment.
girlsruless
Scratcher
1000+ posts

a suggestion - filterbot specificness

Support 101%!!! This would help stop the drama over unexplained mutings.

ROBLOX, Minecraft, Pokémon, AJ, Miraculous, Warrior cats, HTTYD, and CW fan(and obviosly a girl), girlsruless.





ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

a suggestion - filterbot specificness

girlsruless wrote:

Support 101%!!! This would help stop the drama over unexplained mutings.

Yeah. I got muted once upon a time for a comment that was only one line and it took a whole 15 hours just for me to figure out what went wrong.

Support.

Hi, I'm ResExsention, a New Scratcher who refuses to press that button! I hope we get to know each other and become friends!

If you see "[DATA EXPUNGED]", you'll know it was deleted by me. It's a lot easier.
CatGuyAnimates
Scratcher
100+ posts

a suggestion - filterbot specificness

I do believe this is a dupe, but the link has alluded me. Furthermore, I do NOT support. If one accidentally typed a bad word and the filter said “NO! No say BLANK!” Then bam, the child learned a new bad word. Now he/she/they cannot use Scratch because of the very reason the filter exists. Telling a user what is inappropriate with a post could lead to users trying to break past the filterbot by making a list of all words blocked. The main point, telling children inappropriate words is bad.

Ooooh. Images. I wonder what they do? Maybe click on them?

If you see this while scrolling, you have been visited by the ghost of a poor blocked ad. He will be at rest, only if you say "rip ad" 30 times.
Also merch.
WindOctahedron
Scratcher
100+ posts

a suggestion - filterbot specificness

CatGuyAnimates wrote:

I do NOT support. If one accidentally typed a bad word and the filter said “NO! No say BLANK!” Then bam, the child learned a new bad word. Now he/she/they cannot use Scratch because of the very reason the filter exists.
Learning that something is inappropriate ≠ using something inappropriate. In fact, if you knew that something is forbidden and you could get punished for doing that, you would avoid it, wouldn't you? And if you didn't know that there are rules, wouldn't the chance of you breaking them increase?
The main point, telling children inappropriate words is bad.
At least they would know what not to say. Sure, they can misuse the warning and speak rudely, but that's why the report button was created - to tell the Scratch Team that they broke the rules, and let them stop the user.

The studio of my best projects!
Linguistics thread - one of my favourite places!
Tera RP
Common misconceptions about Scratch
_________________________

“What's your favourite letter?”
“Υ.”
“Why?”
“Not ‘Y’, but Upsilon!”
CatGuyAnimates
Scratcher
100+ posts

a suggestion - filterbot specificness

WindOctahedron wrote:

CatGuyAnimates wrote:

I do NOT support. If one accidentally typed a bad word and the filter said “NO! No say BLANK!” Then bam, the child learned a new bad word. Now he/she/they cannot use Scratch because of the very reason the filter exists.
Learning that something is inappropriate ≠ using something inappropriate. In fact, if you knew that something is forbidden and you could get punished for doing that, you would avoid it, wouldn't you? And if you didn't know that there are rules, wouldn't the chance of you breaking them increase?
The main point, telling children inappropriate words is bad.
At least they would know what not to say. Sure, they can misuse the warning and speak rudely, but that's why the report button was created - to tell the Scratch Team that they broke the rules, and let them stop the user.
Think of it from the point of view of a parent. Would you want your child learning bad words? Learning its inappropriate may cause some children to want to use it even more. Teaching children bad words when they accidentally type them may cause some parents to think Scratch is not friendly for children.

Ooooh. Images. I wonder what they do? Maybe click on them?

If you see this while scrolling, you have been visited by the ghost of a poor blocked ad. He will be at rest, only if you say "rip ad" 30 times.
Also merch.
starbyt
Scratcher
5 posts

a suggestion - filterbot specificness

w

CatGuyAnimates wrote:

I do believe this is a dupe, but the link has alluded me. Furthermore, I do NOT support. If one accidentally typed a bad word and the filter said “NO! No say BLANK!” Then bam, the child learned a new bad word. Now he/she/they cannot use Scratch because of the very reason the filter exists.
That's a pretty big “if” right there. It's pretty hard to type bad words on accident, there's only one example I can think of (a contraction of ‘who are’), in which the child would just be confused and not realize it was a bad word. The way I imagine it, the filterbot would just highlight the offending portion without further explanation of why that portion is inappropriate. Also, the filter exists to prevent people from saying rude things, cussing each other out, etc.
Besides, if someone types something bad on accident once, you'd REALLY not want them to type that in a different, unfiltered setting. It's good for kids to learn what they shouldn't say, they don't have to know what it means and the way filterbot would hypothetically work they may not even realize it's a bad word.
And if the kid is the type to use bad words they find… there's no point trying to keep filterbot vague.

I would say this problem is outweighed by the frustration of people who already know what's inappropriate and might have mistyped something. It's really hard to piece through a comment and figure out what's wrong because of how vague it is.

CatGuyAnimates wrote:

Telling a user what is inappropriate with a post could lead to users trying to break past the filterbot by making a list of all words blocked. The main point, telling children inappropriate words is bad.

This might actually be a good thing, because scratch team can block/ban people who deliberately try to get past filterbot in order to insult people. wouldn't it be nice, though, to know what you can't say? Filterbot doesn't have to explain why something is bad, just tell the commenter what is inappropriate in their comments.

TLDR, Children do need to know what's not okay to say. If they're immature enough to go and use those words in real life, that's out of the domain of scratch and ST. And if they want to try to get past filterbot, that's not okay and scratch has other measures in place.

Filterbot's only purpose is to prevent people from saying certain rude things. If people knew what rude things they couldn't say, it would be more effective.

That being said, I do get where you're coming from and it is a valid concern parents could have! I'm glad you brought it up, I didn't really think about that.

Last edited by starbyt (June 16, 2019 17:01:35)

WindOctahedron
Scratcher
100+ posts

a suggestion - filterbot specificness

starbyt wrote:

The way I imagine it, the filterbot would just highlight the offending portion without further explanation of why that portion is inappropriate.
That's a nice idea!
However, there is one problem: how long should the highlighted portion be?

The studio of my best projects!
Linguistics thread - one of my favourite places!
Tera RP
Common misconceptions about Scratch
_________________________

“What's your favourite letter?”
“Υ.”
“Why?”
“Not ‘Y’, but Upsilon!”
moss-shadow
Scratcher
100+ posts

a suggestion - filterbot specificness

I would support this too, or at least making the system less sensitive. I cannot say “click Milkywillow” on my game because it's “inappropriate” which makes no sense because Milkywillow is a name and I see nothing inappropriate about a “Milkywillow”.

West Woods Games! Warrior Cats based games
Questions about a character? Click here!

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile