Discuss Scratch

BurritoCon
Scratcher
80 posts

Scratch vs Code.org

Scratch and Code.org are both good coding websites, but which one is better? Most teachers prefer Code.org, and the students prefer Scratch usually. Code.org's code challenges are quite simple, and teachers want to use it as an introduction to coding. Students like Scratch because they have the freedom to create whatever they want, and not just a Minecraft game, or a flappy bird game.

Code.org detects if you get a step wrong, and they tell you after you run your project. They even have helpful tutorials and more stuff. Though Scratch has tutorials, but they don't notify you. You have to figure out what went wrong yourself.

Scratch's community is really big and anyone can share a project, as long as they have an account. There is an Explore tab and search bar. Code.org has a community, but there is no tabs, and almost impossible to find your project if you shared it a long time ago. There is no search bar.


Scratch - Motion, Looks, Sound, Events, Control, Sensing, Operators, Variables, My Blocks, Music, Pen, Video Sensing, Text to Speech, Translate, Makey Makey , micro:bit, Lego Mindstorms EV3, Lego Boost, Lego Education WeDo 2.0, and Go Direct Force & Acceleration.
Game Lab (Code.org) - World, Groups, Control, Variables, Sprites, Drawing, Math, and Functions.
App Lab (Code.org) - UI Controls, Data, Control, Variables, Canvas, Turtle, Math, and Functions
Artist (Code.org) - Actions, Brushes, Loops, Math, Logic, Functions, and Variables.



-ShadowOfTheFuture-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch vs Code.org

BurritoCon wrote:

Though Scratch has tutorials, but they don't notify you. You have to figure out what went wrong yourself.
That's not always a bad thing - it could help teach people how to problem solve.

<Insert uncreative signature here>









██       ██  ██            ██  ██       ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██
███ ███ ██ ████ ██ ███ ███
█████████ █████ █████ █████████
moresnet
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch vs Code.org

Scratch is way better. Code.org is for 6 year olds.
bybb
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch vs Code.org

Both are bad, you should just be made to use good old QB64

Game Over
You'll find me on @LastContinue from now on.
CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch vs Code.org

PrincessPandaLover
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch vs Code.org

CatsUnited wrote:

Scratch has a meme community so we win by default
*claps*
-Tetro-
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch vs Code.org

As someone who has been taught both Scratch and Code.org in school, Scratch is MUCH better. Code.org is more logic/problem-solving then actual programming.

This is Thanos Cat. He snapped his fingers and destroyed half of Scratch. https://scratch.mit.edu/studios/5811684/
Sheep_maker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch vs Code.org

-Tetro- wrote:

As someone who has been taught both Scratch and Code.org in school, Scratch is MUCH better. Code.org is more logic/problem-solving then actual programming.
How is problem solving not “actual programming”?

- Sheep_maker This is a kumquat-free signature. :P
This, my signature, appears below all my posts. Discuss it on my profile, not the forums. Here's how to make your own.
Post count: more than 6
.postsignature { overflow: auto; } .scratchblocks { overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: hidden; }

This will return false in your favourite programming language (…except Scratch):
(1.0 / 5e-324 - 1.0 / 5e-324) == (1.0 / 5e-324 - 1.0 / 5e-324)
-Tetro-
Scratcher
100+ posts

Scratch vs Code.org

Sheep_maker wrote:

-Tetro- wrote:

-snip-
How is problem solving not “actual programming”?
I guess what I meant was that Scratch lets you make a project fully on your own (custom sprites, sounds), while Code.org has everything already there. It kind of feels like mini-games to me. I don't think Code.org is terrible, but Scratch is better for people who want to get into game development.
On an unrelated note, I also like the sense of community you get in Scratch. Code.org (at least from what I know) doesn't have follows, loves/favorites, forums, and a massive group of people willing to help you out.

This is Thanos Cat. He snapped his fingers and destroyed half of Scratch. https://scratch.mit.edu/studios/5811684/
beepbeepsheep3
Scratcher
2 posts

Scratch vs Code.org

As somebody whose used both code.org and Scratch, I personally prefer Scratch for messing around/having fun and Code.org for more serious projects. I especially enjoy how you can download your projects to your phone on Code.org, something that Scratch doesn't offer. The option to code using text is also cool – and it looks much more impressive when you show it to your friends lol.
10325872
Scratcher
9 posts

Scratch vs Code.org

BurritoCon wrote:

Scratch and Code.org are both good coding websites, but which one is better? Most teachers prefer Code.org, and the students prefer Scratch usually. Code.org's code challenges are quite simple, and teachers want to use it as an introduction to coding. Students like Scratch because they have the freedom to create whatever they want, and not just a Minecraft game, or a flappy bird game.

Code.org detects if you get a step wrong, and they tell you after you run your project. They even have helpful tutorials and more stuff. Though Scratch has tutorials, but they don't notify you. You have to figure out what went wrong yourself.

Scratch's community is really big and anyone can share a project, as long as they have an account. There is an Explore tab and search bar. Code.org has a community, but there is no tabs, and almost impossible to find your project if you shared it a long time ago. There is no search bar.


Scratch - Motion, Looks, Sound, Events, Control, Sensing, Operators, Variables, My Blocks, Music, Pen, Video Sensing, Text to Speech, Translate, Makey Makey , micro:bit, Lego Mindstorms EV3, Lego Boost, Lego Education WeDo 2.0, and Go Direct Force & Acceleration.
Game Lab (Code.org) - World, Groups, Control, Variables, Sprites, Drawing, Math, and Functions.
App Lab (Code.org) - UI Controls, Data, Control, Variables, Canvas, Turtle, Math, and Functions
Artist (Code.org) - Actions, Brushes, Loops, Math, Logic, Functions, and Variables.



I searched up how to translate these two and it came here>??? HOW???
LandonHarter
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch vs Code.org

Scratch is 9001% better than Code.org.

LandonHarter


I prefer to be called Landon. Don't use my full username too much.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Male|12 y/o|English, Bovine Path, Mifernian|JSAB, Mineral Fish|American|ISTP-A / ISTP-D|80% Extrovert|#df0|Chaotic Neutral

“If you find yourself within ten miles of Bounder territory, scram. If you're caught by one, you're livestock.”
10325872
Scratcher
9 posts

Scratch vs Code.org

10325872 wrote:

BurritoCon wrote:

Scratch and Code.org are both good coding websites, but which one is better? Most teachers prefer Code.org, and the students prefer Scratch usually. Code.org's code challenges are quite simple, and teachers want to use it as an introduction to coding. Students like Scratch because they have the freedom to create whatever they want, and not just a Minecraft game, or a flappy bird game.

Code.org detects if you get a step wrong, and they tell you after you run your project. They even have helpful tutorials and more stuff. Though Scratch has tutorials, but they don't notify you. You have to figure out what went wrong yourself.

Scratch's community is really big and anyone can share a project, as long as they have an account. There is an Explore tab and search bar. Code.org has a community, but there is no tabs, and almost impossible to find your project if you shared it a long time ago. There is no search bar.


Scratch - Motion, Looks, Sound, Events, Control, Sensing, Operators, Variables, My Blocks, Music, Pen, Video Sensing, Text to Speech, Translate, Makey Makey , micro:bit, Lego Mindstorms EV3, Lego Boost, Lego Education WeDo 2.0, and Go Direct Force & Acceleration.
Game Lab (Code.org) - World, Groups, Control, Variables, Sprites, Drawing, Math, and Functions.
App Lab (Code.org) - UI Controls, Data, Control, Variables, Canvas, Turtle, Math, and Functions
Artist (Code.org) - Actions, Brushes, Loops, Math, Logic, Functions, and Variables.



I searched up how to translate these two and it came here>??? HOW???

I want to translate them.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!…………….

Last edited by 10325872 (June 11, 2020 00:47:38)

LUCATHENOOB2512
Scratcher
2 posts

Scratch vs Code.org

moresnet wrote:

Scratch is way better. Code.org is for 6 year olds.
i agree
catishpop11327
Scratcher
7 posts

Scratch vs Code.org

Sheep_maker wrote:

-Tetro- wrote:

As someone who has been taught both Scratch and Code.org in school, Scratch is MUCH better. Code.org is more logic/problem-solving then actual programming.
How is problem solving not “actual programming”?
I agree, we create programs to solve problems like robots for self driving cars.
BurritoCon
Scratcher
80 posts

Scratch vs Code.org

It is funny how people are still replying to this discussion.
TheNintendoFan2020
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch vs Code.org

Code.org is too limited. I had fun with it though!

Last edited by TheNintendoFan2020 (Feb. 10, 2021 16:09:37)


-slimegamer-
Scratcher
10 posts

Scratch vs Code.org

CatsUnited wrote:

Scratch has a meme community so we win by default
Hmm? What do you mean by that?
zahmbie1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch vs Code.org

im just going to point out that code.org has a way to make websites

FURRY



Hey!
Yeah, you!
I'm looking for voice actors, modelers, texturers, and programmers for my game, Betashock!
You can apply here: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/526029/
















You can’t fix stupid
Stupid fixes you

Join the Greater Tėvo Dovana Empire in World RP (Click Flag)

- Everyone deserves the right to EXPAND -
and nothing should get in their way


zahmbie1 | Mod Dev | Game Dev | Pixel Artist | Java edition best edition.




Play Mansions And Monsters.
1000th Post! (Not counting deleted posts)
ɴᴏᴡ ᴘʟᴀʏɪɴɢ: I Can't Fix You (Feat. Crusher-P) ──⚪─────────────── ◄◄⠀▐▐ ⠀►►⠀
hey forumers i got a challenge for ya
Guess who made I Can't Fix You
Comment your guess on mah profile⠀
─⚪










zahmbie1 wrote:

I should not be writing this.
I should be working on WORLDREAPERS

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile