Discuss Scratch

DoubleVulcanOsprey
Scratcher
22 posts

What do we think of the Nintendo Switch Online Membership?

Some of us like it. Some of us don't. What's so good about it? What's so bad? Why do we feel that way?

This is where we can argue about it. Keep it to this forum page, and not on the SMM2 or SSBU (etc.)

Just criticize Nintendo for anything here, to keep the other forum pages clean and on topic. LETS GO!
Also it would be good if you could say about what you think can improve Nintendo, what they should change to become better

Last edited by DoubleVulcanOsprey (April 23, 2019 16:47:02)

Life. Afterlife. Real. Virtual. Dream. Nightmare. It's a thin line.

. . .

What is the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything?
Dan-The-Squid
Scratcher
1000+ posts

for $20 a year, we get two new NES games every month,which is 24 NES games per year. At less than $1 per game, the NSO service is a pretty good deal for the NES games alone.

Leaving bye
DoubleVulcanOsprey
Scratcher
22 posts

Dan-The-Squid wrote:

for $20 a year, we get two new NES games every month,which is 24 NES games per year. At less than $1 per game, the NSO service is a pretty good deal for the NES games alone.

Yeah, Xbox Live Gold Costs double that amount for a year! And PS Plus is £49.99 a year! For price, NSO is nothing campared to XBLG and PS Plus.

Last edited by DoubleVulcanOsprey (April 20, 2019 21:58:09)

Life. Afterlife. Real. Virtual. Dream. Nightmare. It's a thin line.

. . .

What is the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything?
Ryrie36
Scratcher
1000+ posts

It's pretty lame.

- They give us 30-year-old NES games, which most of us aren't interested in, and some of the few NES games that people treasure dearly aren't in the service (Contra, Earthbound Beginnings, Castlevania). Even if SNES, N64 and GameCube games are added down the line, there's also the problem that you can't download any of the games, and if your Switch is offline for a week, the retro games aren't available anymore. What are we meant to do if the service shuts down later down the line?

- Voice chat can only happen on a phone, which is pretty lame. Why do I have to ask my parents for permission for voice chat? Also, there's no clear way to hold the phone and the controller, so unless you're kneeling down while playing, it's worthless. And there are games that do support voice chat on the Nintendo Switch, like Fortnite. Not only does the game work with headsets, but the Switch had to be designed so the headsets would work. So this isn't even a money-grab, it's just dumb.

- Cloud saves is one of the more dependent options, but games like Splatoon 2 and Pokemon Let's Go don't work with cloud saves. (Yes, I know that they did it to prevent cheating, but they could've figured out a way to work around this issue.) Also the cloud saves aren't kept forever, they get deleted when your service runs out. What if you break your Switch, can't afford to get a new one for a while, and then your cloud saves expire? There's also no way to back up your saves at all without the service, so Nintendo is basically using bribery.

- The special offers are terrible, only being $60 NES controllers, which are only a novelty effect, work worse than a regular controller, and don't work with anything else. Also, they are $30 each. Which means that this service actually costs MORE than XBOX LIVE or PS Gold.

- EVERY GAME IS P2P. Nintendo actually said in an interview that games like Smash Bros would have dedicated servers, but absolutely no games do. Heck, the P2P is getting worse now that the service is in place, even getting to the point where China can't play any online games.

And the worst thing is that Nintendo might not change it. The best I can say that they will definitely do is add SNES games to the service, but I can't say for certain that they'll change everything. Everyone already paid for the service, and Nintendo has no reason to change the service now. Even if everyone boycotted the service tomorrow, Nintendo will probably just remove the service instead of fixing it, and even if they do change it, it probably won't be the changes that we want.

This is coming from the person who tried to stop all criticism of the service half a year ago.

when green flag clicked
move (2) steps
KABOOM
Nintendo Fan/Forum Hobbit/G-PG humor at the wrong time.
Over 2000 posts and counting.

Check out my second account, BiIvaMunner! It has high quality video game rips!
nickeljorn
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I think it’s okay, but it will become much better once Pokémon Sword and Shield, Animal Crossing 2019, etc. come out

"Just what is the Summer Solstice, besides the day I melt into a puddle of fuzzy puppy fluff?”-Isabelle, Animal Crossing New Leaf
dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dude341 wrote:

Ryrie36 wrote:

Dan-The-Squid wrote:

Ryrie36 wrote:

Nintendo needs to learn to get more subscribers by improving the service itself, not just making games that people will by the service for just because it needs it.
“Nintendo needs to stop making games with online features.”
…no not that.

They just can't keep releasing tempting online games without actually imrpoving the service.

(For the sake of keeping this topic, how would a Super Mario 3D Land skin look?)
There's nothing wrong with Nintendo Switch Online. It's very cheap compared to other services, and provides good online play.

Don't pretend that Nintendo didn't make it clear from the beginning that you would eventually have to pay for online services.
Reposting here.

Placeholder
dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

My answers in bold:

Ryrie36 wrote:

It's pretty lame.

- They give us 30-year-old NES games, which most of us aren't interested in, and some of the few NES games that people treasure dearly aren't in the service (Contra, Earthbound Beginnings, Castlevania). Even if SNES, N64 and GameCube games are added down the line, there's also the problem that you can't download any of the games, and if your Switch is offline for a week, the retro games aren't available anymore. What are we meant to do if the service shuts down later down the line?
I think you'll find most people are interested in NES games. But it is sad that there's no Virtual Console… yet. You never know what they might do in the future.

- Voice chat can only happen on a phone, which is pretty lame. Why do I have to ask my parents for permission for voice chat? Also, there's no clear way to hold the phone and the controller, so unless you're kneeling down while playing, it's worthless. And there are games that do support voice chat on the Nintendo Switch, like Fortnite. Not only does the game work with headsets, but the Switch had to be designed so the headsets would work. So this isn't even a money-grab, it's just dumb.
I agree with this. The Wii U had not only proper voice chat, but also video chat. Even the Wii had voice chat. Actually, heck, even the DS had voice chat! You heard me, that's right, the DS had voice chat for certain games! So why can't Nintendo get it right for the switch?

- Cloud saves is one of the more dependent options, but games like Splatoon 2 and Pokemon Let's Go don't work with cloud saves. (Yes, I know that they did it to prevent cheating, but they could've figured out a way to work around this issue.) Also the cloud saves aren't kept forever, they get deleted when your service runs out. What if you break your Switch, can't afford to get a new one for a while, and then your cloud saves expire? There's also no way to back up your saves at all without the service, so Nintendo is basically using bribery.
Use an SD card.

- The special offers are terrible, only being $60 NES controllers, which are only a novelty effect, work worse than a regular controller, and don't work with anything else. Also, they are $30 each. Which means that this service actually costs MORE than XBOX LIVE or PS Gold.
The special offers are still yet to be announced. The NES controllers are optional and are so you can play NES games with more natural controls, as the games don't really play the same with Joy-Cons. It's not like you're being forced to buy them or Nintendo will take your house and build a golf course on top of it, is it?

- EVERY GAME IS P2P. Nintendo actually said in an interview that games like Smash Bros would have dedicated servers, but absolutely no games do. Heck, the P2P is getting worse now that the service is in place, even getting to the point where China can't play any online games.
I'm sure dedicated servers will eventually come, peer to peer networking is a temporary solution (They probably will bring dedicated servers since it's hard to implement anti-cheat with P2P.)

And the worst thing is that Nintendo might not change it. The best I can say that they will definitely do is add SNES games to the service, but I can't say for certain that they'll change everything. Everyone already paid for the service, and Nintendo has no reason to change the service now. Even if everyone boycotted the service tomorrow, Nintendo will probably just remove the service instead of fixing it, and even if they do change it, it probably won't be the changes that we want.
Nintendo have publicly stated they understand everyone's concerns and are looking to improve it. They also (most likely) fired the previous manager of Switch Online, as they posted a job advert for that position.

This is coming from the person who tried to stop all criticism of the service half a year ago.

Placeholder
PrincessPandaLover
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I'm sad that I can't share my and use other's custom stages.
Ryrie36
Scratcher
1000+ posts

My responses in italics.

dude341 wrote:

My answers in bold:

Ryrie36 wrote:

It's pretty lame.

I think you'll find most people are interested in NES games. But it is sad that there's no Virtual Console… yet. You never know what they might do in the future.I know that if people actually like NES games, then that's fine. But most of us like to see other consoles instead of NES, like SNES, N64, GameCube, Game Boy, DS and Wii. I don't know why Nintendo is only offering NES games for the service when then Wii Shop Channel had N64 games IMMEDIATELY.

I agree with this. The Wii U had not only proper voice chat, but also video chat. Even the Wii had voice chat. Actually, heck, even the DS had voice chat! You heard me, that's right, the DS had voice chat for certain games! So why can't Nintendo get it right for the switch?Actually Nintendo did get it right for the Switch, because it works with Fortnite. They programmed the headset so that it works with Fortnite. They could've simply given it to all voice chat, but no, they have to randomly make it a phone-exclusive for no reason, not even to get more money.

Use an SD card.This is on Nintendo's support page. "On Nintendo Switch, game save data is stored on the console's System Memory. This will not change whether downloadable software or software from a game card is being played. Game save data cannot be saved or copied to a microSD card."

The special offers are still yet to be announced. The NES controllers are optional and are so you can play NES games with more natural controls, as the games don't really play the same with Joy-Cons. It's not like you're being forced to buy them or Nintendo will take your house and build a golf course on top of it, is it?Yes, I know that they're optional, but the fact that Nintendo is even trying to sell us $30 novelty controllers is kinda horrible. Also Nintendo said that some discounts would be available if they signed up for the service, but people have gotten very few discounts, one person even only getting discounts on select Wii U titles. The fact it's been 7 months and they still haven't announced any of the special offers just makes it seems they're trying to hook new accounts in to see what it would be.

I'm sure dedicated servers will eventually come, peer to peer networking is a temporary solution (They probably will bring dedicated servers since it's hard to implement anti-cheat with P2P.)Why would they bother with dedicated servers when they get money off of P2P? Dedicated servers means they have to pay for rent, while P2P means they just get money and that's that. Why would they even think about going on the path where they get less money?

Nintendo have publicly stated they understand everyone's concerns and are looking to improve it. They also (most likely) fired the previous manager of Switch Online, as they posted a job advert for that position.Source? If it is true, that might be good, but I haven't heard any news about it.

Last edited by Ryrie36 (April 21, 2019 09:10:15)

when green flag clicked
move (2) steps
KABOOM

dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I just hope they add the Super Nintendo Chalmers as a console for the NES Online.

Last edited by dude341 (April 21, 2019 09:35:59)

Placeholder
Ryrie36
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dude341 wrote:

I just hope they add the Super Nintendo Chalmers as a console for the NES Online.
They probably will.

Except we can get SNES games on Virtual Console on 3DS RIGHT NOW.

when green flag clicked
move (2) steps
KABOOM

Ryrie36
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Okay, SNES games might be coming to Nintendo Switch Online.

With a desire to keep that momentum going, devices like the NES Classic and its SNES counterpart present a distraction. If gamers have a nostalgic fix, Fils-Aimé recommends they buy a Switch instead. “The way that consumers will be able to continue participating with our classic content is going to be through Nintendo Switch Online,” noting that the console selections in the retro systems are static while the online library is ever-growing.

That's cool, but it's still not big enough compared to N64 and GameCube games, and it's pointless due to the fact you can't purchase any of these games or keep them forever.

when green flag clicked
move (2) steps
KABOOM

BaconAndEggs1School
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Ryrie36 wrote:

With a desire to keep that momentum going, devices like the NES Classic and its SNES counterpart present a distraction. If gamers have a nostalgic fix, Fils-Aimé recommends they buy a Switch instead. “The way that consumers will be able to continue participating with our classic content is going to be through Nintendo Switch Online,” noting that the console selections in the retro systems are static while the online library is ever-growing.

That's cool, but it's still not big enough compared to N64 and GameCube games, and it's pointless due to the fact you can't purchase any of these games or keep them forever.
>“the console selections in the retro systems are static while the online library is ever-growing”
i'm hacking my classics reggie

dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Ryrie36 wrote:

Also, a list of SNES game names was found in the NES Games Online files, so it's almost certainly coming soon.

Placeholder
Ryrie36
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dude341 wrote:

Ryrie36 wrote:

Also, a list of SNES game names was found in the NES Games Online files, so it's almost certainly coming soon.
Yup.

It's been a long time since we found out about them though, I thought they would have a NSO Direct sometime during March, but that seems to not be the case.

when green flag clicked
move (2) steps
KABOOM

Spycapt54
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I'm still bitter that we got this instead of getting virtual console on Switch.
2Dproductions
Scratcher
500+ posts

it's better than Xbox Live, in terms of price at least

scratch is maayo kana.
Ryrie36
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Spycapt54 wrote:

My Wii didn't have internet, and I wasn't bothered with buying games off the Wii U.

I'm still mad that there's no Virtual Console on the Switch. I was hoping we could get up to GameCube titles for NSO, but seeing as N64 games were added to the eShop before Iwata's death… it doesn't look too bright.

when green flag clicked
move (2) steps
KABOOM

dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Ryrie36 wrote:

Spycapt54 wrote:

My Wii didn't have internet, and I wasn't bothered with buying games off the Wii U.

I'm still mad that there's no Virtual Console on the Switch. I was hoping we could get up to GameCube titles for NSO, but seeing as N64 games were added to the eShop before Iwata's death… it doesn't look too bright.
GameCube/Wii titles are actually extremely likely, Nintendo have released some emulated Gamecube and Wii titles in China on the NVidia Shield, which is VERY close to the Switch in terms of hardware. So it's likely they'll come to Switch. Known games are Mario Kart Wii (with online, too!), Mario Galaxy, Luigi's Mansion and much more. It will most likely be part of the NES Online, though, rather than Virtual Console.

Placeholder
nickeljorn
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dude341 wrote:

Ryrie36 wrote:

Spycapt54 wrote:

GameCube/Wii titles are actually extremely likely, Nintendo have released some emulated Gamecube and Wii titles in China on the NVidia Shield, which is VERY close to the Switch in terms of hardware. So it's likely they'll come to Switch. Known games are Mario Kart Wii (with online, too!), Mario Galaxy, Luigi's Mansion and much more. It will most likely be part of the NES Online, though, rather than Virtual Console.

Wasn’t there also a rumor a few years ago that eventually Super Smash Bros Melee and Super Mario Sunshine would come to the Switch?

"Just what is the Summer Solstice, besides the day I melt into a puddle of fuzzy puppy fluff?”-Isabelle, Animal Crossing New Leaf