Discuss Scratch

• Discussion Forums
  • » Collaboration
  • » [LOOKING FOR CODERS, CLOUD DATA CODERS, TRANSLATORS, PIXEL ARTISTS, AND LEVEL DESIGNERS!!!] ***JOIN US!*** | The Earthworm Jim Scratch Project [RSS Feed]
dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

[LOOKING FOR CODERS, CLOUD DATA CODERS, TRANSLATORS, PIXEL ARTISTS, AND LEVEL DESIGNERS!!!] ***JOIN US!*** | The Earthworm Jim Scratch Project

A couple of days ago, I was playing through Earthworm Jim 2. While I was playing it, I thought, hey, wouldn't it be cool to re-make the first 2 games on Scratch, well, here we are!

This collaboration is a project aiming to port Earthworm Jim: Special Edition for the Sega MegaCD, and Earthworm Jim 2 for the Sega Megadrive, with all features, levels, enemies, everything! This is going to be a very big project, if not, the biggest project on Scratch!

But there's more, I also plan to add additional features not seen in the original games!

Earthworm Jim Scratch Edition Additional Features wrote:

Levels:
“Good Morning, City” - A part 3 to New Junk City set later in the day, with a brighter background. Plus, a brand new boss at the end!
“The Depths of Heck” - In between the final platforming segment in What the Heck, and the Evil the Cat boss. It's basically what it sounds like, it's set deeper in the level, where it's much darker than usual.
“Big Bruty Returns” Simply another Big Bruty level, takes place in between For Pete's Sake and Intestinal Distress.
“For Pete's Sake Part 2” See above, but this time, another For Pete's Sake level. Takes place in between Intestinal Distress and Buttville.
Features:
I don't have an exact list, but I have a few things planned.

Earthworm Jim Scratch Edition Additional Features wrote:

Levels:
I don't have an exact list, but I have a few things planned, including all the levels from the beta.
Features:
A 2 player vs. mode with the ability to play local using a keyboard, or online using cloud data, and a few other things that need a bit more thought.

The above will be updated as time goes on.

If you think you'd like to join, here is who we are looking for:
Programmers (lots of programmers)
Pixel Art Graphics Design (For the additional levels)
Level Design (Again, for the additional levels. I have a basic layout for them, but nothing in full.)
Translators (To translate the game into a different language, of course. You must be fluent/native in the language, and the language must be one of the languages available on Google Translate)
Cloud Data Programmers (For vs. mode and game saving)
Tile-Based Engine Programmer
Join Forms (if you want, you can do multiple jobs, just fill out each one you want to be):
Important things to note:
  • You MUST include a direct link to an example of work which clearly shows your work. Any future applications which state there is no current example available (you can easily make one before applying), link to a project that doesn't show your work clearly, or anything else will be rejected from now on.
  • You must be able to use a computer (laptop or desktop) or a device that can run a desktop operating system (in this context, Android doesn't count as a desktop operating system, and also, computers/devices running ChromeOS doesn't count either due to the limited nature of that OS). This is because the project may become to complicated for mobile devices to run and crash, and also, because of the next note:
  • Please make sure to keep constant backups. This cannot be done on mobile devices and most versions of ChromeOS. More info on the development cycle post.
  • Make sure to read the development cycle post in order to know how this collab will work.
  • Please make sure your skills are sufficient enough & that you can help with large projects. Otherwise, it is a waste of our time.
Programmer
Username:
How active are you 1-10:
On a scale of 1-100, how much experience do you have with tile-based platformers?:
Example of a tile-based platformer you either made or helped make (if you have not made/helped make a title based platformer, link a complex project of yours):
Are you following the topic? (if not, you must follow the topic):
Occasionally, Scratch will sometimes not give out notifications for a topic, even when following it. You agree that, despite this bug, you will try your best to keep up to date on the collab, including by using the “show your topics” feature?:
Pixel Artist
Username:
How active are you 1-10:
On a scale of 1-100, rate your pixel art?:
Example of your work:
Occasionally, Scratch will sometimes not give out notifications for a topic, even when following it. You agree that, despite this bug, you will try your best to keep up to date on the collab, including by using the “show your topics” feature?:
Level Designer
Username:
How active are you 1-10:
On a scale of 1-100, rate your level design?:
Example of your work:
Translator
Username:
How active are you 1-10:
What languages do you speak?:
Link a project you made that is not in English:
Cloud Data Programmer
Username:
How active are you 1-10:
On a scale of 1-100, how much experience do you have with cloud data in general?:
On a scale of 1-100, how much experience do you have with online multiplayer games using cloud data?:
On a scale of 1-100, how much experience do you have with making game save file systems using cloud data?:
Example of your work:
Tile-Based Engine Programmer
Username:
How active are you 1-10:
On a scale of 1-100, how much experience do you have with tile-based platformers?:
Example of a tile-based platformer you either made or helped make (if you have not made/helped make a title based platformer, link a complex project of yours):
People working on this project:
dude341 (Programmer, Basic Level Designer)
venyanwarrior (Pixel Artist)
ipaddude (Level Designer)
cs369396 (Programmer)
098765432154321 (Programmer)
Poufflez (Translator for French)

More info coming soon, when enough people join.

I hope you have fun in this collaboration, and for people wanting to play the game when it's finished, we hope you have as much fun as we did making it!

Last edited by dude341 (May 11, 2019 08:02:36)

In August, YouTube are planning to remove sub counts everywhere and replace them with abbreivated ones. This is especially a problem for small creators, and most content creators want viewers to be aware of their full sub count as it creates a sense of community, we need to stop this.
Contact YouTube now to let them know what you think of this change.

Click here to check out our game collab! [WE'RE LOOKING FOR CODERS/PROGRAMMERS, PIXEL ARTISTS, LEVEL DESIGNERS, TRANSLATORS, CLOUD DATA CODERS, AND TILE-BASED ENGINE CODERS. YOU COULD HELP!
dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

[LOOKING FOR CODERS, CLOUD DATA CODERS, TRANSLATORS, PIXEL ARTISTS, AND LEVEL DESIGNERS!!!] ***JOIN US!*** | The Earthworm Jim Scratch Project

Development progress:
April 19th: Collaboration started.

Last edited by dude341 (April 19, 2019 16:07:43)

In August, YouTube are planning to remove sub counts everywhere and replace them with abbreivated ones. This is especially a problem for small creators, and most content creators want viewers to be aware of their full sub count as it creates a sense of community, we need to stop this.

Click here to check out our game collab! [WE'RE LOOKING FOR CODERS/PROGRAMMERS, PIXEL ARTISTS, LEVEL DESIGNERS, TRANSLATORS, CLOUD DATA CODERS, AND TILE-BASED ENGINE CODERS. YOU COULD HELP!
dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Development cycle:

Basically, we will start Earthworm Jim Scratch Edition first, then Earthworm Jim 2 Scratch Edition will be what we work on second.
The project will be developed on my second account, @scratch_341, to change/add things, you can remix the project, make the version number higher and add your ID code at the end of the version number to indicate it's your branch of the game (ID codes will be given once development starts), then I'll remix the project on that account in order to add the changes to the main game, and remove the ID code in order to indicate it's the main branch. Make sure to keep constant backups of your remixes by downloading your remixes after uploading. We will attempt to just do a straight port from the games first, the extra levels/features will be added after we've completed the full port.

The development cycles will go like this:
  • Pre-alpha (basic platforming engine, etc, versioning starts at v0.1)
  • Alpha (this is where all of the game will be ported over, versioning starts at v1.0-alpha)
  • Beta (this is where additional content will be added, and the game will be more polished, versioning starts at v1.0-beta)
  • Release Candidate(s) (this is the final stage where small bugs will be ironed out and fixed, versioning starts at RC1)

Graphics, music, text (for translators) and sound effects will also be provided on the second account available on the first build of the games, once we have enough people to start development.

More info coming soon.

Last edited by dude341 (April 27, 2019 23:03:12)

venyanwarrior
Scratcher
500+ posts

Pixel Artist
Username: venyanwarrior
How active are you 1-10: 6
On a scale of 1-100, rate your pixel art?: probably a 40.
Example of your work: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/162755859/

I've never actually played the Earthworm Jim games, but I'll fire up my emulator in a bit.

Also check this out.

dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

venyanwarrior wrote:

Pixel Artist

I've never actually played the Earthworm Jim games, but I'll fire up my emulator in a bit.
Accepted!

Make sure to use Earthworm Jim Special Edition for the SegaCD, and Earthworm Jim 2 for the Megadrive, if you need to use an emulator.

Last edited by dude341 (April 19, 2019 16:30:42)

venyanwarrior
Scratcher
500+ posts

dude341 wrote:

venyanwarrior wrote:

Pixel Artist

Accepted!

Make sure to use Earthworm Jim Special Edition for the SegaCD, and Earthworm Jim 2 for the Megadrive, if you need to use an emulator.
Cool, I'll probably use openemu.

Also check this out.

dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

venyanwarrior wrote:

dude341 wrote:

venyanwarrior wrote:

Pixel Artist

Accepted!

To play EWJ Special Edition you actually need to use Fusion, the game has issues in other emulators. Make sure to open the “.cue” file for the game instead of the .iso or .bin, as music won't play unless you select the .cue file.

For EWJ2, I'm not aware of any issues with emulators but Fusion still should work the best. You don't need to do anything special to run that game, just select the rom file and play.

venyanwarrior
Scratcher
500+ posts

dude341 wrote:

venyanwarrior wrote:

dude341 wrote:

venyanwarrior wrote:

Pixel Artist

Accepted!

To play EWJ Special Edition you actually need to use Fusion, the game has issues in other emulators. Make sure to open the “.cue” file for the game instead of the .iso or .bin, as music won't play unless you select the .cue file.

For EWJ2, I'm not aware of any issues with emulators but Fusion still should work the best. You don't need to do anything special to run that game, just select the rom file and play.
Thanks!

Also check this out.

dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

venyanwarrior wrote:

Thanks!
Also cheat codes for level select:
EWJ:SE Pause the game, then: A+B, C, C, A, A, B, B, B+C
EWJ2: Pause the game, then: A, C, C, A, B, A, B, Left.

Last edited by dude341 (April 19, 2019 17:12:04)

dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bump.

dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bump.

dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bump.

dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bump. Anyone want to join?

dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bump.

venyanwarrior
Scratcher
500+ posts

I actually haven't played the game yet. I will once I get out of school, though. Anything specific you want me to do?

Also check this out.

dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

venyanwarrior wrote:

I actually haven't played the game yet. I will once I get out of school, though. Anything specific you want me to do?
Just look through the levels in both games using the level select cheat code to get an idea of the pixel art style. If you only want to do simple sprites / recolouring, that's also fine, too.

Mr_PenguinAlex
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pixel artist.
Mr_PenguinAlex.
69 if I improvise, 100 if i have to copy something.
I don't have an example right now, but trust me, it is good.
I am following the topic.

Last edited by Mr_PenguinAlex (April 23, 2019 18:52:37)

Together, we shall destroy the universe. And the forum minimods.
This is generation 1 of the anti minimod signature. Put this in your signature and increase the generation number by one if you are against minimods.
dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mr_PenguinAlex wrote:

Pixel artist.
Mr_PenguinAlex.
69 if I improvise, 100 if i have to copy something.
I don't have an example right now, but trust me, it is good.
I am following the topic.
You won't be copying anything as I do have the original graphics ripped from both games. What you'll be doing is creating something new out of/adding something new to the original games graphics, re-colouring a few of the original games graphics, as well as making something from the ground up. This is for the additional Scratch Edition-only levels which are planned to be added.

Could you create a project with some pixel art (preferably in the Earthworm Jim graphic style) to prove your experience before I can add you?

Last edited by dude341 (April 23, 2019 19:01:32)

congyingzhou
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I can make platformers and I would love to join, but sorry, I do not have time. But you are free to order from T.I.P.S. if you need anything

This is my signature. It appears after I post anything! (I added this for people who thought I was advertising.)
My fan club!
sloppy, welcoming committee member, strange, coder, funny, writing nerd, gamer, pianist, awkward, Christian
Oh look a rainbow <- made in 10secs
Age: 10 and 3/4, Number of Posts: 1900+ help me feature this
Imagination is the best tool for writing. ~ Congyingzhou
dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

congyingzhou wrote:

I can make platformers and I would love to join, but sorry, I do not have time. But you are free to order from T.I.P.S. if you need anything
Did I come to your shop to advertise? I was thinking about going to some shops to see if they were willing to partner but I forgot if I actually did that or not.

• Discussion Forums
  • » Collaboration
  • » [LOOKING FOR CODERS, CLOUD DATA CODERS, TRANSLATORS, PIXEL ARTISTS, AND LEVEL DESIGNERS!!!] ***JOIN US!*** | The Earthworm Jim Scratch Project [RSS Feed]