Discuss Scratch

ScritchScratch1000
Scratcher
3 posts

How about a few new blocks?

I had an idea of a few new blocks. One of them, is a “when stop pressed” hat block. It would basically be the same as a “when green flag clicked” hat block, but it would be for the stop button. For example, you could make something like, “When stop clicked forever show wait .4 secs hide wait .4 secs”.
Or, you could maybe use another block idea, a "< clicked> block. So it would be something like when stop key pressed, repeat until

<green flag clicked> and so on. (Note: green flag could be changed for stop, so it repeats until stop is pressed.)
Another thing would be that the forever blocks would truly be forever, until you, for example, reload the page.
StrangeMagic32
Scratcher
1000+ posts

when green flag clicked::control
forever::events
reset timer
wait (1) secs::events
end

when [timer v] > (1.5)::control
code::custom

Also I'm fairly sure that a

When Stop pressed::hat control

is rejected

The other one I've never seen though…

Last edited by StrangeMagic32 (Jan. 14, 2019 01:43:05)

That moment when…
1. you accidentally go from one forum to another...   2. you try to help, but get beaten to it...   3. you read a post in all caps...   4. you post on the forums and your post isn't very constructive...   5. you end up not helping...   6. you post something before you're finished... 7. you post and it turns out to be a necropost...   8. you finish writing your post, but by the time you post it, someone else has practically said the same thing...   9: you share a CCE or DTAE before it's done...   10: you share a game before it's done...   11: you accidentally unshare a project you shared just moments before...   12. you accidentally report your own comment...   13. you accidentally reset your cloud highscore... 14. you accidentally delete your own project that you just finished...   15. your topic has existed for 4 years and it turns out to be a duplicate...   16. you finished making your project but there is no wifi to save it...   17. you sign in after a year, but you forgot your password, so you go to recover, but you own a trillion emails...   18.you necropost then 5 weeks later someone replies to your necropost, telling you not to necropost...   19. you click a topic with the intent to reply on it but it gets closed right when you click on it so you're unable to reply...   20. someone says your topic is a duplicate and the last post on that duplicate was posted 6 years ago...   21. you come up with a great suggestion to improve Scratch then it turns out to be a duplicate...   22. you worked super hard on a remix but it dosen't save...   23. you accidentally close your best topic...   24. you get lots of notifications, but they just turn out to be studio messages...   25. you comment on a user's profile but it turned out to be the wrong user...
(do you have any good ones? message me on my profile)
Za-Chary
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

A “when stop sign clicked” block is rejected, so the Scratch Team will not be adding it:

Rejected Suggestions wrote:

23: When stop sign clicked:
The stop sign is designed to stop all scripts in the project, and having more scripts start when the project is stopped could defeat the purpose of that. It potentially could be confusing for the “stop all” block as well.
As a result, a “___ clicked” block (with a green flag & stop sign dropdown) is likely also rejected, too. “Repeat until stop sign clicked” already exists (just due to the nature of the stop sign), and “repeat until green flag clicked” seems a little strange since the green flag is supposed to “restart” the project.

As for the forever blocks, don't they already run “truly forever”? I think I might need more explanation here.

It looks like I'm a Scratch Team member now!

Za-Chary's Game Museum
The Complete List of Rejected Suggestions
ScritchScratch1000
Scratcher
3 posts

Za-Chary wrote:

A “when stop sign clicked” block is rejected, so the Scratch Team will not be adding it:

Rejected Suggestions wrote:

23: When stop sign clicked:
The stop sign is designed to stop all scripts in the project, and having more scripts start when the project is stopped could defeat the purpose of that. It potentially could be confusing for the “stop all” block as well.
As a result, a “___ clicked” block (with a green flag & stop sign dropdown) is likely also rejected, too. “Repeat until stop sign clicked” already exists (just due to the nature of the stop sign), and “repeat until green flag clicked” seems a little strange since the green flag is supposed to “restart” the project.

As for the forever blocks, don't they already run “truly forever”? I think I might need more explanation here.
What I mean by truly run forever is that it would run after the stop sign was pressed, and that you'd need the “repeat until <stop pressed ?>” block.
Za-Chary
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Ah, I see. In that case, I don't think the Scratch Team would add that precisely for the reason of "The stop sign is designed to stop all scripts in the project".

It looks like I'm a Scratch Team member now!

Za-Chary's Game Museum
The Complete List of Rejected Suggestions
ScritchScratch1000
Scratcher
3 posts

Here's a better idea: a reporter block that is

(item () to () of [list v]

So it's a reporter block that tells you all items between the 2 numbers in the first 2 inputs of the list in the third input.

For example:
when green flag clicked
if <<(item (1) to (5) of [hello v]) = (6)>> then
broadcast [ v]
end

Last edited by ScritchScratch1000 (May 7, 2019 15:05:31)

ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

ScritchScratch1000 wrote:

Here's a better idea: a reporter block that is

(item () to () of [list v]

So it's a reporter block that tells you all items between the 2 numbers in the first 2 inputs of the list in the third input.

For example:
when green flag clicked
if <<(item (1) to (5) of [hello v]) = (6)>> then
broadcast [ v]
end

You're better off creating another topic for this. No support for such a block, either. Doesn't seem useful to me…

Hi, I'm ResExsention, a New Scratcher who refuses to press that button! I hope we get to know each other and become friends!

If you see "[DATA EXPUNGED]", you'll know it was deleted by me. It's a lot easier.