Discuss Scratch

whiteandblackcat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Subtitle block.

Yep, this would be cool! What sort of customizability would there be, and would it be from the project creator's end, or the user's end?
For instance, in youtube videos, the viewer can make the subtitles bigger and smaller. Would it be the same in scratch, or would they be uncustomizable, like the speech bubbles in “say” blocks?

Hi, I'm Kat!
I'm not too active in the forums anymore, but I'm still active on scratch!
I'm a cohost of Scratch Writing Camp, running it with Alba, Birdi, Bakie, and Honey.

I love coding, maths (especially simultaneous equations and the quadratic formula!!!), art and writing (and also spreadsheets and responsibilities-)! I used to know 157 digits of pi, but I can only get to around 110 at the moment. I also love Minecraft :]

Here's some things I have been in the past:
- Forum helper member
- Buzzy Bee Banners secretary & banner maker
- Emerald Shop 4.0 Vice President
qrcool
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Subtitle block.

According to Za-chary, they should not be customizable. Also, they will be enabled by placing a block in the code from the creator's end.
Just realized this could allow users to sub projects into another language.

he/they/it/neos
whiteandblackcat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Subtitle block.

qrcool wrote:

According to Za-chary, they should not be customizable. Also, they will be enabled by placing a block in the code from the creator's end.
Just realized this could allow users to sub projects into another language.
Thanks! I think this would be the best option, but it would be cool for the viewer to be able to change the size, as an accessibility thing.

Hi, I'm Kat!
I'm not too active in the forums anymore, but I'm still active on scratch!
I'm a cohost of Scratch Writing Camp, running it with Alba, Birdi, Bakie, and Honey.

I love coding, maths (especially simultaneous equations and the quadratic formula!!!), art and writing (and also spreadsheets and responsibilities-)! I used to know 157 digits of pi, but I can only get to around 110 at the moment. I also love Minecraft :]

Here's some things I have been in the past:
- Forum helper member
- Buzzy Bee Banners secretary & banner maker
- Emerald Shop 4.0 Vice President
nerdiebirdy
Scratcher
500+ posts

Subtitle block.

I know subtitles can be made with variables, but I think it might look better if there was a special set of blocks for it. Perhaps it would be a good idea to put the blocks in an extension.
I imagine it would look like just text on the screen.
Also, I think it would be a good idea to allow them to change colour, to allow for best visibility on different coloured backgrounds.

The blocks would look something like this:
display subtitles [...]::#0f7058//displays the text
set subtitle color to [#27ad2c]::#0f705f//changes the colour of the subtitles
move subtitles to x: [x] y: [y]::#0f705f//controls where the subtitles appear on the screen

denverfitz2009
Scratcher
34 posts

Subtitle block.

Hey guys,
I need help with creating subtitles in a Scratch Project. It is about the 7 World Wonders. So pls help me here.

Thx,
denverfitz2009
@denverfitz2009

denverfitz2009 | Enjoy life together.
ShyGamer16
Scratcher
500+ posts

Subtitle block.

denverfitz2009 wrote:

Hey guys,
I need help with creating subtitles in a Scratch Project. It is about the 7 World Wonders. So pls help me here.

Thx,
denverfitz2009
@denverfitz2009
Please make your own topic.

gosoccerboy5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Subtitle block.

Is this any different from a (print) block? Except it's less useful?

semmiesem9
Scratcher
100+ posts

Subtitle block.

gosoccerboy5 wrote:

Is this any different from a (print) block? Except it's less useful?
This would be another variation of the say and think blocks, but more useful for subtitles, instructions, visual novel-type dialog, or other text not spoken directly by a character.
gosoccerboy5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Subtitle block.

Okay, but would a
print () :: pen // not the best mockup — of courese you'd be able to specify font, size, color, position, etc.
not do this function, besides doing many more things?

secretagent123
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Subtitle block.

Support, however you can use a text engine as a workaround which can be done in under 20 blocks.

I don't really use this account any more.
willowbird309
Scratcher
3 posts

Subtitle block.

Sussspporttt lol
EatNYeet
Scratcher
500+ posts

Subtitle block.

willowbird309 wrote:

Sussspporttt lol
Please be constructive and say why you support, as well as not necropost.

Before someone tells me “oh but necroposting doesn't exist in suggestions,” bumping a topic that hasn't had any discussion in a long time without adding anything to the discussion (which is what this user did), believe it or not, is necroposting (although it is the only way to do so in this forum).

Last edited by EatNYeet (March 2, 2022 09:53:48)

Why is this a thing?
Jackson49_test
Scratcher
100+ posts

Subtitle block.

Bump
penelape1234
New to Scratch
1 post

Subtitle block.

hi
randomguy3513
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Subtitle block.

full support this can be anything you really want it to be used for I can see this being used in many games

(Male) (He/Him) (2000+ posts) (4 Years)
Banner by depresso-boiyo, check him out!
Ctrl+shift+down to check out my projects!

Thanks for scrolling; if you like what I do, please follow me!
Knightbot63
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Subtitle block.

Half support because it seems good for certain readers, but the downside is that it may fill up the screen if you want tons of things in the project.

Working on an RPG. Consistently losing followers because of inactivity.
I head to forums time-to-time. Not as much as I used to.
AhsokAcat
Scratcher
7 posts

Subtitle block.

I agree, we need subtitles. It's not only good if you can't hear, but also better in general. Movies with subtitles are very helpful.

say [check out this art project!]

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/724383711/
musicROCKS013
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Subtitle block.

So… would this be inside the project player or somewhere outside the project?

Shift + Down arrow to see the rest of my signature

Hello Scratch Team. You have been pushing a liberal political agenda on this site for far too long. This site should stay out of politics. People should be able to still post their political opinions, but there shouldn’t be any “official” political stance or Scratch. The ST is not going to change this on their own, and shoot down any attempts asking them to change. Please put this in your signature if you agree that

Scratch should be politically neutral.

The ST’s biggest defense is that they’re being welcoming, but they can be perfectly welcoming of all people and stay out of politics. Scratch is about coding, and that should be the Scratch Team’s biggest concern to maintain.

This is my signature. I am allowed to adertize here.

_______________\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
Please Click —> This project is literally my life's work. <— Please Click
_______________^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jenny LeClue is the best
DiamondLearnersKid
Scratcher
1 post

Subtitle block.

can they/you please ad a subtitle block? thx in advance!
deweypointjr
Scratcher
100+ posts

Subtitle block.

Great idea! This would be really useful. Support

Hi there! I am DeweyPointJr, but you can call me Scripter!

#BEPURPLE