Discuss Scratch

python_megapixel
Scratcher
500+ posts

All keys on keyboard

Charles12310 wrote:

venyanwarrior wrote:

Okay, let me just say one thing. THIS THREAD IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE. SCRATCH IS SWITCHING TO HTML CAN EVERY1 JUST ACCEPT THAT AND STOP NECROPOSTING ON VERY OLD TOPICS!!!

thank you
Does HTML have anything to do with key detecting?

I don't think the HTML switch will change anything about key detection. I think - although I am not sure - that both HTML/JS and Flash can detect more keys than Scratch allows for, in which case the developers of Scratch will have another reason for limiting the choice of keys available. There are Flash games that can detect punctuation keys, for example.

If you really want to check this, the Scratch 3.0 GUI is available for testing online: https://llk.github.io/scratch-gui/

Welcome to my signature. Some random thoughts and loose rules to follow:

• Please STOP writing “support” or “no support” when responding to suggestions. Be constructive. Tell OP how they could improve the idea. If you like it, tell them why! You are achieving nothing by saying “support” or “no support” and it drowns out people who actually have something useful to say.
  • Does your post add anything to the discussion? Is it kind? Have you read the original post? If the answer to any of these is no, then don't post.
  • think[Please don't communicate like this, using blocks. It clutters up the forum and takes up tons of space]
I-Iz-A-Litten
Scratcher
1000+ posts

All keys on keyboard

support for keys like shift and enter

(gosh dang 60 second rule)

gravel
PrincessFlowerTV
Scratcher
1000+ posts

All keys on keyboard

TheAdriCoolManDude wrote:

Keys I want:
-snip-
Please do not spam.

PrincessFlowerTV ✿
but you can call me The Unconstructive Eliminator
Hey there! I'm a teenage girl who is a christian, writer, drawer, a Forum Helper, Wiki editor, and i'm homeschooled. Got all that? xD
(Old)My Blog QAS Question Dictionary Rejected Suggestions ???
Posting since 2016 - 2,000+ posts

TheAdriCoolManDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

All keys on keyboard

Sorry I wasn't trying to spam. It's just there is quite a lot of keys I want.

I would be perfectly fine listing all the featured creators going to Vidcon 2019
TheAdriCoolManDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

All keys on keyboard

I think I will need Backspace, Enter, Delete, End, Insert, Tab, Caps, Shift, Ctrl/Cmd, and Alt.

I would be perfectly fine listing all the featured creators going to Vidcon 2019
lnkulumo
Scratcher
55 posts

All keys on keyboard

I think I will need Backspace, Enter, Delete, End, Insert, Tab, Caps, Shift, Ctrl/Cmd, and Alt.
Not related to the topic.
TheAdriCoolManDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

All keys on keyboard

lnkulumo wrote:

Not related to the topic.
That means I support for those keys. And if you're talking about the 50/100 zipline thing, it's my signature, it appears under everything I say.

Last edited by TheAdriCoolManDude (April 5, 2018 13:31:41)

jgdoesscratch
Scratcher
27 posts

All keys on keyboard

I would never need insert, home, or end. Just backspace, Ctrl/Command, Alt/Option, and Shift.
Sairam1265
Scratcher
40 posts

All keys on keyboard

Support for all keys because I need the Ctrl + shift + r.

Finished Maze Runner 2
link: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/284068381/
What do you need for Maze Runner 3
Here is the basic changelog:-
  1. Recreation of all buttons.
  2. Add all buttons to same Sprite.
  3. Unlock feature.
  4. Message feature.
  5. any else you like to have
behemothswagsalot1
Scratcher
18 posts

All keys on keyboard

Support. I can't agree more, I HATE using space to sprint instead of shift!
staffordboys
Scratcher
100+ posts
chipm0nk
Scratcher
83 posts

All keys on keyboard

I am supporting you 100%!

———————— ———————–

——————-——————-
| My Profile | About Me | My Alternate Account|
NilsTheBest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

All keys on keyboard

Support for keys such as &, !, :, etc. but not for keys such as F1, F2, shift, etc. I explained my reasoning here.

imfh
Scratcher
1000+ posts

All keys on keyboard

NilsTheBest wrote:

Support for keys such as &, !, :, etc. but not for keys such as F1, F2, shift, etc. I explained my reasoning here.
Do you mean add them to the drop down? Keys like &, !, : can already be accused by putting a variable into the key pressed block.

The special keys could be implemented like they were before when they were mostly all detected as the same key. The only unique ones were tab, backspace, and enter. Keys like ctrl alt shift f1 were all detected with the same key code. That way projects can't require you to press f1.

when signature read:: events hat
say [Not much here...] for (2) secs
epicRedHot
Scratcher
500+ posts

All keys on keyboard

Partial support, as ctrl, alt, caps lock, and the “F” keys (F1, F2, F3, etc.) would conflict with built in shortcuts and functions. Everything else should be fair game, though.

I occasionally do things.
ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

All keys on keyboard

Why hasn't this been implemented yet? This should be reconsidered.

Full support from me. The keyboard options are kind of limited, and really reduce the potential for making games that have similar controls to some of the larger games. People won't have to relearn the keyboard. Some of the other keys not mentioned would be nice, too.

Last edited by ResExsention (May 7, 2019 12:49:59)

Hi, I'm ResExsention, a New Scratcher who refuses to press that button! I hope we get to know each other and become friends!

If you see "[DATA EXPUNGED]", you'll know it was deleted by me. It's a lot easier.
cannonball84
Scratcher
53 posts

All keys on keyboard

AonymousGuy wrote:

Not enter, it is used for starting the project.

As for a lot of other keys, they can't be reliably detected by Flash because they are named different things for different keyboards, so that would end up causing a lot of confusion when some people could use projects which other people couldn't.
shift was always shift, enter was always enter, capslock was always capslock…

and scratch now uses html5

PS:support for Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V would also be very helpful. though that might be too complicated for new scratchers

;
ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

All keys on keyboard

cannonball84 wrote:

AonymousGuy wrote:

Not enter, it is used for starting the project.

As for a lot of other keys, they can't be reliably detected by Flash because they are named different things for different keyboards, so that would end up causing a lot of confusion when some people could use projects which other people couldn't.
shift was always shift, enter was always enter, capslock was always capslock…

and scratch now uses html5

PS:support for Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V would also be very helpful. though that might be too complicated for new scratchers

Younger users probably wouldn't know about keyboard shortcuts anyway, so it seems safe.

Hi, I'm ResExsention, a New Scratcher who refuses to press that button! I hope we get to know each other and become friends!

If you see "[DATA EXPUNGED]", you'll know it was deleted by me. It's a lot easier.
WindOctahedron
Scratcher
500+ posts

All keys on keyboard

savaka wrote:

I think you should be able to do any key you want on the keyboard for the key press block.
I don't think that it's useful, because it's not that necessary. Also, what about different keyboards? On my Czech keyboard, you'll find keys that are not present on a lot of keyboards, like š, ě and ý, and you won't find characters present on many US keyboards, like the dollar sign*. Scratchers could take advantage of it (or do that accidentally) and make their projects unplayable to other users.
*Okay, there is a way to type it, but you have to press Alt Gr+4.
Maybe you could click on the field in the key press block and instead of a drop down menu it says “Press the key you want” and then you press it and it goes in the block.
However, I support for this, because it's less practical to scroll up and down through that dropdown menu. See the underlined text.
Not-so-fun fact: I wasn't reading your sentence above carefully, so at first I thought that a picture of a keyboard (with keys written on them, of course) would show when you click there, and when you click on a key, it goes in the block.

The studio of my best projects!
Tera RP
Common misconceptions about Scratch

toki! mi nimi li WinOkawiton. taso sina ken toki tawa mi: jan Win o!
Hello! My name is WindOctahedron (a.k.a. WinOkawiton). But you can tell to me: person Wind (a.k.a. Win) call!!
Hello! My name is WindOctahedron, but you can call me “Wind”!
Dolphin_002
Scratcher
35 posts

All keys on keyboard

Support! But only for some keys, because some keys might not work well, like Tab. Also there's a workaround for symbols:

<key (join [.] []) pressed?>

It only works for symbols though, so keys like Ctrl, Alt and Shift don't work.

Edit: Sorry for necroposting, I didn't see when the post was made. Oops.

Last edited by Dolphin_002 (June 20, 2019 18:18:44)

Capture the flag online         Geometry Dash Universe